PDA

View Full Version : Is this fair? (3.5)

ThirdProgenitor
2016-07-11, 03:40 PM
So, im running an epic level Gestalt game and have just build an encounter for the group. One guy is a lich so i did what any intelligent, tyranical, plane-wide governmental system would do and sent an undead hunter after the dude. Or, will send.
Anyway, the lich is a cleric sorcerer, with divine rank 0 so among the hardest things you could challenge.
Then there's this dude.
20th level gestalt (they are 23rd)
308 hp, stats 36,30,31,28,28,33, saves, 35,35,32 (34 vs undead), full bab, +40 to hit and his damage against undead is 1d8+24+11d6. 16-20x2 crit range. Not to mention hes able to sneak attack and crit undead. +5d6 sneak attack. The guys got dr 11 vs undead and sr 25 vs undead. Can't be feared, energy drained, not subject to death effects, or sleep with resistances to poison, paralysis, stunning, disease and enchantment. Evasion, imp uncanny dodge, and has an ability called true death which means if he kills the lich, the lich will stay down. All of this is before i've even actually chosen his feats yet.
Other info, ac 26, 20 flat, 16 touch, he has smite evil&smite undead with 14 turning attempts per day. his weapon is +5, overcoming dr.

The lich, doesn't get the +13 nat armor to ac because i nerfed gods since they're mainly fighting them this campaign. his divine dr is now 5+rank (stacks with other dr) and sr 10+rank (stacks with other sr) Nat armor 5+rank (stacks with other nat armor)

Most of this happened without me realizing it was going to happen until he was finished and now, im wondering if in my quest to challenge my player, i've simply taken away every option he has. So far, he's pretty much gotten through every scenario either through his ridiculous charisma or with finger of death/crush heart. The lich has something like 600 hp but even at that with this guys sneak attack he comes damn near one shot range with crits. if not actually doing it.

Troacctid
2016-07-11, 05:45 PM
Against an epic PC? Seems plenty fair to me. If I were the lich, I'd start by trying to instakill him (which would fail), then he'd attack me and deal a buttload of damage but probably not kill me. Then I'd teleport away, poof, no sweat.

Eldariel
2016-07-11, 06:32 PM
Seems pretty amusing. Provided the Lich has time to cast, he could Shapechange and see if he could melee the crap outta him or Gate something in and watch Fight Club from the safety of some random plane or see how many Maws of Chaos he can survive or whatever. He has plenty of routes of attack that seem efficient against this nemesis. The nemesis being actually able to hurt him should make it sporting.

ThirdProgenitor
2016-07-11, 09:17 PM
Against an epic PC? Seems plenty fair to me. If I were the lich, I'd start by trying to instakill him (which would fail), then he'd attack me and deal a buttload of damage but probably not kill me. Then I'd teleport away, poof, no sweat.

Well, i was thinking of having the dude sneak attack him to open. He'll also be flanked by like 3-4 15th lvl swashbucklers and 3-4 11th level sorcerers. but there's also 2 other gestalt characters there to take the mooks. or..... well... epic level equivalent of mooks.
Although, the only time he actually one shot the lich was on a full round sneak attack with 3 crits and a smite evil.