PDA

View Full Version : Worst session ever

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-02, 01:19 PM
I was in a new campaign yesterday. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. The rogue did 3 damage. To my fighter. There were 9 people in the group, only the two wizards the bard and me did anything usefull. We split up at one point. The bard, a cleric, the crappy rogue and a wizard fought about 6 goblins. The wizard died, the rogue couldnt hit anything and the bard did all the combat. By the end of the dungeon everyone was on minimal hp, no spells left and nobody rolled higher than a 3 fighting 1 kobold. Also the ships captain (we started on a ship) was drunk, angered a water elemental and then proceded to try and kill us. The halfling cleric said 'growl at him'. The Dm did an intimidate check. Natural 20. A halfling growled at a pirate causing him to run away screaming. It was not worth 400 gp each.

Bassetking
2007-07-02, 01:21 PM
Buddy, you've got NOTHING on Lanky. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23784)

Galathir
2007-07-02, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a lot of bad luck along with a poor DM and too many PCs. It sounds like you were around level 1-2 and dealing with a water elemental! I know I would never want to play with nine other people. Five is the limit for me. Though on the bright side, at least you didn't need the police.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-02, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Lankybugger WINS any discussion on bad game nights.

Joltz
2007-07-02, 01:31 PM
reminds me of the one I DMed last week. It wasn't due to bad luck either, it was just that everyone in the party played a variant of the chaotic stupid alignment. The 5 minutes passing through town before the adventure turned into "torture/kill the NPCs" and ended with an NPC paladin smiting/power attacking half the party to death. It was a high level party though, so it was a thoroughly epic slaughter/battle that took about 4 hours real time. They were supposed to take 5 minutes and rest before the the adventure but noooooooo :smallannoyed: apparently 5 minutes outside of town isn't soon enough to schedule the gratuitous battle.

edit: wow... After reading lankybugger's post I have to agree that he wins in any bad gaming story contest.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-02, 04:00 PM
Clearly not as bad as Lanky but I still find this pretty horrific. Several bad dice rolls on everyones part and a severe lack of imagination on the part of the DM (we met 3 NPC's named Aragorn. Who all spoke with pirate accents). Not to mention one wizard had decided it would be sensible to prepare 1 offensive spell. Also due to the backstories of the character I think everyone was a little suprised when my characters best friend, the expert archer, shot him in the arm. The DM declared that my character thought he was attacking me and I had to attack him back. He DMed A PVP. So we just kept rolling diplomacy checks until he let us kill the dam giant spider.

Foeofthelance
2007-07-02, 06:26 PM
You know, no matter how many times Lankybugger's tale comes up, I can't help but sit and read the entire thing in horrified amusement.

As for the OP, well, biologically disposed of waste happens. Was it a new bunch of players? I mean, three NPCs named Aragorn means who ever was running either wasn't trying or was in over their head, which was already struggling to make things up from the top. The PCs sound like they might have been more Concept ideas, which from personal experience don't seem to do to well at first level. some things are better left until people can cover for you while you do them.

geek_2049
2007-07-02, 06:45 PM
The only thing your party did wrong was split up. Every seasoned adventurer knows that when you split up you get TPKed.

Kizara
2007-07-02, 07:19 PM
Dude, if you get ONE NPC named Aragorn, and it isn't meant as a complete joke, then your DM is teh crap.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-07-02, 07:24 PM
Never read Lanky's horror story before. Sheesh.

Another thing that creeped me out is that if you read further into that thread, some people actually sympathized with PsychoDM up until the breaking point. WHAT? The extra feat he got from the flaw was Skill Focus (alchemy). How do you abuse that? Nonsense. It was a fantastic character hook.

Sorry, had to rant about that. Didn't want to cause any thread necromancy.

As for the OP, that sounds like my old middle school D&D club. Everyone played an Elf Ranger with a mysterious past. *shiver*

Dairun Cates
2007-07-02, 07:24 PM
The only thing your party did wrong was split up. Every seasoned adventurer knows that when you split up you get TPKed.

Which makes the look on the GM's face priceless when you survive for the 10th time of doing that in a row.

Flawless
2007-07-02, 07:29 PM
Well, the way you describe things it sounds as like it was fun ;)

Now have everyone make new characters and get someone else to DM. With everyone having that last session in mind it only can get better.

Tallis
2007-07-02, 09:30 PM
I've heard of DMs that refuse to allow pvp, but I've never heard of one that forced players to pvp before. That's pretty bad. Bad DMing plus bad luck with the dice != fun.
Now I'm thinking of running a game where Aragorn is the most common male name in the area. Obviously this would not be a serious game.

Kizara
2007-07-02, 10:20 PM
Have an elven NPC rescue your PCs from some orcs. Have her introduce herself as Liv. Describe her EXACTLY like Arwen without saying "she looks like Arwen".

Have your PC's run into 5 halflings, after they engage/speak with them, have a black-cloaked rider on a black horse come riding aggressively towards them and have them all run away.
When the horse comes closer, reveal that its Aragorn. Although he has no interest in said halflings.

Have the Aragorn NPC quickly fall head-over-heals and madly in love with the elf your party met earlier. Have her be sensual be enigmatic about it.

Etc etc. For more amusement along this line, see/use Epic Movie.