PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] making a demon barbarian

evnaz
2016-07-11, 07:10 PM
Hey everyone, lately I've been a little stuck because I've been really hung up on the idea of an elf who's bloodline was corupted by demons. cast away from their homes they end up becoming barbarians to survive. whenever they rage the some of the demonic "energy" spill out changing how they look and mot likely stats issue is I have no idea how to balance this any help would be great

AlanBruce
2016-07-11, 09:08 PM
Hey everyone, lately I've been a little stuck because I've been really hung up on the idea of an elf who's bloodline was corrupted by demons. cast away from their homes they end up becoming barbarians to survive. whenever they rage the some of the demonic "energy" spill out changing how they look and mot likely stats issue is I have no idea how to balance this any help would be great

I am guessing you want demon barbarians? It is the thread's title, so I will work with that, despite elves being mentioned.

Check out any of the demons printed in the books (I would begin with Monster Manual I, which introduces them).

Here's the SRD list of the most common demons found. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Demon)

If you look at those demons, the vast majority have high Strength scores, which should come as no surprise- demons are supposed to embody reckless destruction, tainted by malice.

That being said, I would make some of the demons listed above a lot more prone to barbarism than others.

Yes, a Succubus is a demon, but she fills the role of manipulator. a behind the scenes kind of girl, not a frothing, muscle bulging, white eyed beast in a battlefield like, for example, a Hezrou or a Vrock (despite their high Intelligence scores).

And regarding stat increases, check out the Barbarian as a class- they get a +4 to Str and Con simply by raging at first level.

Fluffwise, you can have the demon's muscle rip even more and their horns jut out and sharpen as they wade into battle.

Mechanically, you can pick one of the demons listed in the SRD and add a barbarian level to him, see how that works.

Alternatively, use the Elite Array (15,14,13, 12, 10, 8) as stats.

Assign them to your demon of choice and give him any racial modifiers they get from their race (the vast majority of demons get a LOT of racial modifiers to pretty much every stat.)

And then, add several barbarian levels to it. You will have effectively created a unique demon amongst their kind, which may very well lead others as barbarians in the Abyss, which would be rather fitting.

Hope that helps.

Inevitability
2016-07-12, 04:41 AM
If you want an elf barbarian, I recommend a Dragonborn Wood Elf. Your final ability bonuses are +2 strength, -2 intelligence (excellent for a barbarian), and you can refluff the dragonborn traits (wings, breath weapon) as results of demonic mutation.

Sian
2016-07-12, 05:43 AM
I'd poke Fey'ri (from Races of Faerun) a bit, and see where it ends up ... Fluff-wise its basicly there already

QuickLyRaiNbow
2016-07-12, 07:02 AM
I'd poke Fey'ri (from Races of Faerun) a bit, and see where it ends up ... Fluff-wise its basicly there already

That said, the ability penalties stink and you'll eat a big chunk of LA.