PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Flashy is as Flashy Does [Martial Archetype]

Amechra
2016-07-12, 04:40 AM
Braggart (Martial Archetype)

You see them everywhere - the braggarts who say they're invincible warriors, but who are strangely reluctant to show off that talent. That isn't you - you've bought your own line of bullpucky, and somehow, it's working out for you. Some people have all the luck...

Proficiency Dice: When a feature calls for your Proficiency Dice, they are a 1d4 if you have a +2 Proficiency bonus; for each point higher, increase the die size by one, to a maximum of 1d12 at 17th level.

3 - Fancy Pants Fighter
Whenever you take the Attack action, you may opt to describe it in a really fancy way (be creative!). If you do so, you take Disadvantage on all of your attacks made as part of that action - however, you deal Psychic damage on equal to your Proficiency Die on each attack if the higher die would hit or if either die shows a 20. Regardless of whether you hit or not, you look like you totally meant to do that.

Your ego is like iron - you gain Proficiency in Charisma saves.

7 - Winning Hearts and Minds
You can't deny it - the way you fight the good fight makes the hearts of even the most stalwart flutter in their chests! Creatures with an Intelligence score of at least 5 that have observed your dramatic deeds that would normally be Indifferent are instead Hostile or Friendly - there is no middle ground. When dealing with such creatures, you may make a single Charisma check with Advantage; if you do so, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

10 - Better Lucky Than Good
The additional damage dealt by Fancy Pants Fighter improves to two Proficiency Dice. More impressively, you may expend your Action Surge when making an ability check at Disadvantage to do so at Advantage instead - the gods seem to enjoy your antics way too much to let you fail.

15 - Storybook Armor
The bonus damage from Fancy Pants Fighter now triggers whenever the higher die would hit or you roll a 19 or 20 on either die. In addition, any creature that makes an attack against you with Disadvantage and misses takes Psychic damage equal to your Proficiency Die due to some embarrassing mishap; if both dice missed, they take an extra Proficiency Die of damage.

18 - Succeed Against All Odds
You may apply the benefits of Fancy Pants Fighter to any attack you make at Disadvantage. You may now use Better Lucky Than Good on both your ability checks and your attack rolls; additionally, you may expend your use of Winning Hearts and Minds to Dodge as a bonus action.

=---=

For when you absolutely have to be Gaston.

JNAProductions
2016-07-12, 02:46 PM
Dodging as a bonus action, even at level 18, might be a bit too much (especially with retaliation when an enemy misses you with disadvantage). Other than that, another hilarious and well-balanced archetype.

Amechra
2016-07-12, 03:04 PM
Maybe I could swap out the Dodge with one specific guy getting Disadvantage against you as a bonus action. A more focused Dodge, as it were.

Originally, it was all about swapping Proficiency from attack to damage, but that was awkward and terrible. And it was all about swinging wildly, but I couldn't get a theme going. Then I thought "hey, what if the Disadvantage was from being unnecessarily flashy", and everything just unfolded.

I also make all of my homebrew under the influence of electronic music you can dance to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWhF-KnlOk&nohtml5=False). It helps stop me from just going "This is a Barbarian subclass that Barbarians. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-12, 03:05 PM
Maybe I could swap out the Dodge with one specific guy getting Disadvantage against you as a bonus action. A more focused Dodge, as it were.

Originally, it was all about swapping Proficiency from attack to damage, but that was awkward and terrible. And it was all about swinging wildly, but I couldn't get a theme going. Then I thought "hey, what if the Disadvantage was from being unnecessarily flashy", and everything just unfolded.

I also make all of my homebrew under the influence of electronic music you can dance to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWhF-KnlOk&nohtml5=False). It helps stop me from just going "This is a Barbarian subclass that Barbarians. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?"

Eh... That's still pretty damn good against solo encounters. Maybe make it give proficiency dice penalty to their attack roll? (One guy's, not everyone's.) About as powerful, but no more psychic retaliation unless you manage disadvantage some other way.

Amechra
2016-07-12, 03:20 PM
True... I've provisionally made it just another thing you can spend Winning Hearts and Minds on.

I'm kinda worried about Nova potential, though. At 18th level, you can essentially make Fancy Pants Fighter give you Advantage on one attack rather than Disadvantage once per long rest.

This also runs into an issue where if you can get reliable Advantage from somewhere (Barbarian 2 springs to mind immediately), Fancy Pants Fighter turns into "trade Advantage for bonus damage on a hit or crit".

I might be worrying too hard about this - all the ways to get reliable Advantage carry hefty penalties, and you're not reliably getting more than +2d12 out of it at most.