PDA

View Full Version : Help create a character

Dousedinoil
2016-07-12, 08:26 AM
Hey all,

I'm running a one off evil session with some friends and told them to get wild with their character concepts. One player wants to play Fart from Rick and Morty. Given that he is just a ball of gas, I'm not sure how to adjust for that as a character. Are their any monsters that are a gas? I was thinking of doing a LA from a Djinn. Either that or an air elemental. Any advice? I was hoping to make him a bard somehow. Thanks!

Âmesang
2016-07-12, 01:51 PM
Reflavored air elemental sounds the easiest (but that's 'cause I'm lazy :smalltongue:).

Also, is it safe to assume that as a bard "Fart" would be eating lots of baked beans?

trikkydik
2016-07-12, 03:43 PM
My first reaction was to criticize the players request and say "absolutely not, what is a fart going to do on a windy day?"

But after much review i have come to the solution i would employ for this character design.

1.) Totally humanoid character. (Even though he's a fart. I can't think of an accommodating universe with no wind)

2.) He has affinity for gasses and things with gaseous qualities.

3.) True form (Some sort of shape shift at will ability that he can use x times/day)

4.) At first i thought, MUST BE CASTER CLASS. but then again a barbarian who can turn into gas is pretty scary. (I think the most OP version of this character would be a rogue.)

5.) A bard would also synergize with a gaseous PC. (If bard i would suggest using a wind instrument.) it would offer more fun role play (Plays the clarinet with his butt cheeks, while simultaneously fighting with weapons. (Very difficult performance check though. still hilarious)

6.) i do like the concept of Fart's character though, for an evil campaign. (Wants to eradicate all carbon based life forms.) Just watch out for PKPing considering evil characters like to fight each other, and if his 'companions' are indeed human, could lead to a lot of backstabbing in the campaign. (Which on second thought is totally awesome.)

Things you need to consider:

1.) is this a serious campaign?
2.) How difficult do you plan on making it for your PC's
3.) what is the overall tone?

But for the most part i would make him have an alternate form and a true form, as the most basic requirement for the character.
only because its too easy to send gas flying away with wind gusts.

Turning into gas would have a lot of benefits, but a huge disadvantage also.

okay i've rambled long enough. i hope i get to revisit this post and see the results of what you came up with.

Thanks for sharing, good luck

eggynack
2016-07-12, 04:16 PM
What's the starting level? There are tricks you could do that'd get you permanently gaseous at a sufficient level. It wouldn't be the base form, but, y'know, you could call it the base form. Also, while songs are a part of Fart's character, I think he makes a bit more sense as a beguiler than a bard. From a combat perspective, his whole deal is screwing with your mind and constructing illusions and such. An enchantment or illusion focused wizard would make sense too. You'd really want some transmutation in there, for his ability to turn arbitrary stuff into arbitrary other stuff. I think you want as much casterishness as possible here. We see Fart in only a few interactions, so we see a few of his abilities, but it always feels like he's got a lot more stuff he'd be doing if he had need of it.

Also, you really want him to be nigh-unkillable. Casters are pretty good at that. Actually, completely new and different idea. How about a ghost? Difficult to kill, kinda phases through stuff, and their abilities are distinctly possession and mind control oriented. It'd also be easy to give a ghost an otherworldly vibe, because they're practically otherworldly already. You could also run through some quantity of levels in the ghost savage progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) if you don't want to go full ghost, though I kinda like the full ghost setup. Only thing you're missing then is the gold ability, but ghost is probably a bit over-LA'd anyway, so you could maybe toss fabricate on there as an SLA. Perhaps in place of one of the less fitting ghost powers. Fart just feels ghostish to me.