PDA

View Full Version : Considerations for running Dungeon Delve as boardgame

MoutonRustique
2016-07-12, 03:14 PM
I'll be running the Dungeon Delve adventures in a very direct manner for a group of friends soon. We'll be starting at 1st and seeing where that takes us (probably not that far: I anticipate perhaps ~3 sessions of play). As such, we'll probably never leave the first few levels of the game.

I'll be running the monsters in a completely adversarial manner - rolls in the open and all that good stuff.

My questions are thus:
1 - what adjustments are potentially required to the encounters?

I know that the pre-mm3 math was pretty off, but mostly for the Paragon tier and up.

Spotted potential problems:
Big Grigbad - a level 3 Eilite Soldier (AC 23!) @ 2nd level
Potential solution, decrease all defenses by 2, while increasing the effects of Phalanx Leader by 2: still gives AC 23 when adjacent to minion, but can be dropped to 19 by clever tactics - and, effectively down to 17 with a flank.

Auto minion ping: earlier in the edition, auto damage was a rare thing. I'm concerned for the reduced impact of minions if there are a slew of auto-damage.

Orcs: they still have Warrior's Surge which heals them. This was changed to a free swing at death. Which should I prefer?

Ideally, the odds would be something like ~70% chance to win for the players. They have the upper hand, but there's a non-negligible chance they'll lose.

If some of you have already tried this, I'd be very interested in how it went.

MwaO
2016-07-12, 04:06 PM
Have not tried, but in general, I tend to fix minions by giving them 5+1/level hp. Basically, any PC with a 1dX+stat is going to kill them the vast majority of time on a hit. But +stat or 1dX won't generally do the trick...