PDA

View Full Version : OP Builds

Pichu
2016-07-12, 07:07 PM
I have been hypothetically min-maxing recently, and reading some things. What is an OP build for level 10 and below? Variant Human, feats, and all other resources (SCAG, UA, etc) are allowed.

I have one build to share: Conjurer 2.

Conjurer 2 vs Tarrasque
1. Conjurer readies action so that "When the Tarrasque comes within 30 ft of me, I use Minor Conjuration* to summon 27 ft2 of plasma where he is."
2. 'nuff said.
Note: Does not kill; only severely damages!

*Becasue you have seen the sun before, correct?

Zman
2016-07-12, 07:35 PM
I have been hypothetically min-maxing recently, and reading some things. What is an OP build for level 10 and below? Variant Human, feats, and all other resources (SCAG, UA, etc) are allowed.

Conjurer 2 vs Tarrasque
1. Conjurer readies action so that "When the Tarrasque comes within 30 ft of me, I use Minor Conjuration* to summon 27 ft2 of plasma where he is."
2. 'nuff said.

Ummm, no. Only way that woks is if your DM lets you cheat. Firstly, cubic feet not square feet. Plasma is not an object. It is within 10'. The Tarrasque is not in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space.

Got anything rules legal?

JNAProductions
2016-07-12, 07:39 PM

Conjurer 2 vs Tarrasque
2. 'nuff said.

First off, if successful, it kills you too. (Actually, it doesn't even kill the Tarrasque-so just you go crispy barbecue.)

Second off, we all know the sun is just a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire. What is this "plasma" you speak of?

And third of all, find a DM that allows that. Go ahead, try.

TripleD
2016-07-12, 07:48 PM
Second off, we all know the sun is just a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire. What is this "plasma" you speak of?

Please, we all know that the sun is just a ball of fire being pulled behind a flying chariot.

RickAllison
2016-07-12, 08:37 PM
Please, we all know that the sun is just a ball of fire being pulled behind a flying chariot.

Please, we know it is really an eldritch abomination captured and imprisoned by the great Aumanator/[setting-appropriate sun god]. The abomination's blood is taken by the god and distributed across the world to remind us how great the sun god is.

Madbox
2016-07-12, 10:49 PM
Please, we know it is really an eldritch abomination captured and imprisoned by the great Aumanator/[setting-appropriate sun god]. The abomination's blood is taken by the god and distributed across the world to remind us how great the sun god is.

Please, we all know that the sun is really the child of the Creators, who dies every evening. But, with a daily human sacrifice, he is resurrected in the morning. If we ever fail to remove the heart of a live person upon his altar, the endless night shall be upon us.

Easy_Lee
2016-07-12, 10:59 PM
Please, we all know that the sun is really the child of the Creators, who dies every evening. But, with a daily human sacrifice, he is resurrected in the morning. If we ever fail to remove the heart of a live person upon his altar, the endless night shall be upon us.

Please, we all know the sun is really just a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire.

pwykersotz
2016-07-12, 11:06 PM
Please, we all know the sun is really just a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire.

Please, we all know that the sun is just reflecting the light of the moon which shines because of Bahamut's majesty.

Specter
2016-07-12, 11:11 PM
I'm not good at this, but let's try:

- Paladin 5/Sorcerer 5: Cast Booming Blade with bonus action (quickened), attack twice more with action, use highest level slot when critting for smites.

Gastronomie
2016-07-12, 11:14 PM
I think multiple of the above ideas are true, because when I look out the window there are three suns shining in the sky.

Some more might be hidden by the clouds.

EDIT: On the issue of Paladin/Sorcs, Paladin 6 is the best way to go with + 3 caster levels and the Aura of Seriously Buffing Up Saving Throws. Instead of quickening Booming Blade, going for Hold Person or stuff among those lines makes you one hell of a beast.

Buurg
2016-07-12, 11:18 PM
Ignoring the troll-esque conjuration idea:

GWM Half-Orc Barbarian, always using the GWM -5/+10 feature, and wielding a two handed weapon.
Rage, -5/+10, slay. Rinse and repeat. Just watch out for mind control tricks.

Easy_Lee
2016-07-12, 11:23 PM
BM Fighter / Assassin Rogue can one-shot many foes. Assign levels as desired. Depends on stealth.

Belac93
2016-07-12, 11:27 PM

Heratic! The sun is the upper layer of the nine hells!

However, on the subject of o.p builds, 5e doesn't really have 'broken' characters. I guess a level 20 druid with some resilient feats is pretty much immune to damage, but other than that, most are just really good.

RickAllison
2016-07-12, 11:55 PM

However, on the subject of o.p builds, 5e doesn't really have 'broken' characters. I guess a level 20 druid with some resilient feats is pretty much immune to damage, but other than that, most are just really good.

OP is highly dependent on the context. In terms of combat, no combo other than the blatantly-against-RAI Simulacra chain is really there. Where you can get OP PCs is when you start to look at the other pillars of play.

Bardlocks allow for a PC who can be incredibly Persuasive and Deceptive, never show his true face, manipulate everyone with a spell, and always have an exit strategy. A Bardcerer can alter the minds of a crowd without even waving a finger.

For exploration, Druids and Wizards are basically kings if they have spell slots. Bards and Rogues are a close third/fourth (Bard gets fewer spells total, but gets skill bonuses, and rogues get the potential to do outrageous skill uses no matter how long the day goes).

At the highest level, some amounts of cheese can be OP, but those are at the level of spells like Wish. Shapechange or True Polymorph to become a Shadow Dragon allows for a loyal army of shadows if the PC is willing to burn down a few villages. With enough bones and/or corpses, the right combination of wizard and warlock allows for Create Undead to be cast per short rest, allowing for an army to be assembled and sent out. Sure, they won't all be under the control of the PC, but he just needs them for cannon fodder. Undying Warlocks (appropriate) don't even need to sleep so they can spend long rests just casting the spell more.

Heck, wizlocks are incredibly OP when it comes to economic adventures. By my reckoning, he could be generating upwards of 36,000 square feet of stone walls per day! And Fabricate, oh boy is that a disaster waiting to happen. One wizlock can arm and armor an army in record time, and even make barding!

So there you go. If you want OP builds, focus on non-combat purposes. They didn't balance nearly as well there...

Gastronomie
2016-07-13, 12:01 AM
The above is true. One human has its limits. If the PC can summon forth an army of monsters, that's gonna alwaye be stronger (if not DM-trolling).

Planar Binding has a lot of tricks too.

treecko
2016-07-13, 12:18 AM
Ignoring the troll-esque conjuration idea:

GWM Half-Orc Barbarian, always using the GWM -5/+10 feature, and wielding a two handed weapon.
Rage, -5/+10, slay. Rinse and repeat. Just watch out for mind control tricks.

If you take berserker, you can ignore mind tricks too!

Honestly people go on about how bear totem is so great for damage resistance but flat out immunity to mind tricks is just as good. Comes a bit later though, but not much.

Corran
2016-07-13, 04:58 AM

Please, sun is god, husband of moon, it is known.

Lombra
2016-07-13, 06:47 AM
Half- orc champ 3 /oath of ancients paladin 7: crit, smite, crit, smite, crit...

Alternatively if there's no other member in the party that helps you get advantage: barbarian 2/champ3/vengeance paladin 5
Always advantage, 2 attacks, incredible nova potential.

Both builds should use GWM with a grearsword, fighting styles: defense + great weapon

OR half- orc barb2 /champ 8
Glaive, GWM, PAM, sentinel... yeah...

Didn't really watched into casters because any level 10 pure caster is pretty strong.

Specter
2016-07-13, 07:12 AM
If you take berserker, you can ignore mind tricks too!

Honestly people go on about how bear totem is so great for damage resistance but flat out immunity to mind tricks is just as good. Comes a bit later though, but not much.

True story.

Oramac
2016-07-13, 08:47 AM
As per usual, I'll recommend the Tempest Sorcerer Tank (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank). High armor, high mobility, high damage, reasonably high saving throws. The only real downside is having low hit points, but in my experience the character is quite good at not getting hit anyway, so it doesn't matter as much.

smcmike
2016-07-13, 09:20 AM
The Sun/Son is the Seed, impregnating Mother Earth every evening, born from her womb every morning. Father Moon is only intermittently interested in the whole affair.

Klorox
2016-07-17, 03:44 AM
10th level?

How about a 10th level wizard. Just make the meat shields stay in front. With your help, they can even think they had something to do with victory.