PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Crafting a Campaign 'plot line'

Steveburger
2016-07-13, 11:42 PM
I've been DMing for a while now, though over the past year (give or take) I've been enjoying being strictly a player. Recently I've been getting the itch to run a campaign but I'm hitting a pretty solid brick wall when it comes to actually crafting the campaign. What I'm looking for might not really be an option and I may just be up a certain creek without a paddle, aside from actually spending money for those consultation services one might find on a google search. Before I wade into that situation, I'd like to reach out to this community of which I've been a long time lurker.

I'd like to retain some level of secrecy with what I discuss outright here, since a few of the players in my circle browse these forums and will no doubt recognize my username. Ideally, I'd be able to get in contact with those interested in helping me out via PMs, skype, or something similar. Though I have no issues with a public discussion here, you'll have to forgive me if I keep things vague. I understand this isn't the best way to get the help I'm looking for, but without potentially spilling all the beans, I don't really know how else to go about this.

So down to the meat and potatoes. Sorta.

I'm working on crafting a campaign that can be run as a short series of sessions or continued on if player interest is there. My current idea involves playing with causal loops. For those not familiar, the basics of that would be a chain of events that cause themselves to occur. A -> B -> C -> A. I'd like the campaign to take place in the pathfinder world. I will be using Pathfinder rules/classes/monsters/etc. I usually run Sherlock Holmes style games, where content is more on the cerebral side of the fence, but this is a bit different for me. Due to the resulting complexity that comes with time travel and chronology, I'm keeping things pretty contained, where the events of the entire campaign occur over the span of about 5-7 days. The best example I can give of this would be something akin to the film "Donnie Darko".

At the present, I've figured out I'd like the campaign to begin on the last day as the players are essentially shown the result of events as they played out without intervention (or their failed intervention, if you like), then 'reset' back to the beginning of the loop where they can then begin to change the causal loop to bring about a hopefully more favorable ending. I'm thinking one traversal of the entire loop would be enough, but if it isn't and there's interest in continuing, I'd allow the players to attempt the loop again. I'd also like the campaign timeline to circle around a seemingly mundane event such as a festival or holiday, but not too historically monumental in any real way outside of the events that are about to occur (and in fact have already occurred).

I know, thats pretty wide open and doesn't give you much to riff off of or hone in on. I've got a bit more fleshed out as well as a small pile of ideas I'd like to incorporate, and I would absolutely be willing to go into a bit more detail with anyone who is interested in helping via PMs or skype or somesuch. Alternatively, if you know of some resource that might be available and could direct me, I'm all ears. I would really like to avoid having to pay money or open the entire campaign arc into a public discussion. It just puts me in a bit of a conundrum: ask for help on a forum full of intelligent and experienced minds, which is well trafficked because of said intelligent and experienced minds. If you are interested and would like to know more, please feel free to leave a comment here or PM me, and thanks in advance for those who do.

10/10 would publicly ask for help on a thing I can't talk about publicly again. :smallconfused: