PDA

View Full Version : Check my maths...I'm an ogre after all.

Morgan_Scott82
2007-07-02, 07:39 PM
"Grek, not Ogre, Grek half-ogre silly typing man! Grek Smash!"

Whoa, whoa! Ok sorry Grek, half ogre, that better?

"Yes, Grek Happy know."

That's good Grek, I need to ask a question to the fine forum posters now. You go sit at the back my imagination and find a nice halfling to play catch with, ok?

"Yay! Grek throw halfling good!"

Sorry about that folks, Grek's been at the forefront of my imagination since I thought him up on Saturday, he's got a bit of a temper, and whatever you do, don't call him short. Anyway, a friend is thinking about running a D&D 3.5 campaign and Grek was the first thing to spring to mind, and since I'm not one to argue with my own imagination (I'd look pretty silly yelling at myself) I'm going to run with it and play Grek the half-ogre monk.

As I was putting Grek together, I realized that by virtue of being a giant he was proficient with all martial weapons, that was when an idea started to form. Earlier in the process I'd decided on Deflect Arrows for his second level monk feat, since, lets face it an archer out of reach can end a monk's day pretty quickly, but with the door open to martial weapons, I started thinking about all the options out there... and kept coming back to the Guisarme. So here's the part I need verified:

As a large sized Creature Grek the Half-Ogre has a natural reach of 10ft, so give Grek a reach weapon, and how much reach does he have? 15ft? 20ft? I assumed 20ft, since the reach weapon doubled the reach of small and medium creatures I assumed it would do the same for larger creatures. That means that with a Guisarme, Grek threatens all squares less than 20ft but more than 10ft away, a total of 64 squares. But wait, Grek is a monk, monks have some crazy unarmed attacks, and you don't need a hand free to attack with unarmed attacks, so, even while weilding the Guisarme, Grek threatens all squares within 10ft, a further 32 squares, add the four squares that Grek himself occupies and Grek can cover a full 100 squares on the battlegrid, wow.

Of course after typing this I realize it sounds suspiciously familiar. Grek, have you been reading OotS again! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html)

"Uhhh...Ummm... Grek say, maybe?"

Well you can forget about that spike chain mister!

"Aw, give Grek credit. Grek not that cheesy!"

Ok, Greks subliminal manipulations asside, have I made any misteps here, is everything kosher, or have I misinterpreted or overlooked some rule?

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-02, 07:41 PM
IIRC Type Giant does not give proficiencies, giant Hit Dice give proficiencies. Of course, half-ogre may well have HD, which may make this moot.

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-02, 07:48 PM
Yes. You can threaten up to a 70 foot radius when starting with a Large Creature.

Reach Weapons Double your natural reach, no matter how big the weapon or your reach actually is.

Flawless
2007-07-02, 07:50 PM
ASAIK you even threaten all the squares that are 10ft. away. Reach only doesn't work on creatures on adjacent squares. But I could be wrong with that...

SpiderBrigade
2007-07-02, 07:57 PM
Yes. You can threaten up to a 70 foot radius when starting with a Large Creature.

Reach Weapons Double your natural reach, no matter how big the weapon or your reach actually is.70 foot radius how? What I'm seeing is he has a natural reach of 10 feet, and the reach weapon doubles that for 20 feet.

Gralamin
2007-07-02, 08:03 PM
70 foot radius how? What I'm seeing is he has a natural reach of 10 feet, and the reach weapon doubles that for 20 feet.

Maybe he meant a diameter of 80 feet?

Morgan_Scott82
2007-07-02, 08:17 PM
ASAIK you even threaten all the squares that are 10ft. away. Reach only doesn't work on creatures on adjacent squares. But I could be wrong with that...

This is true but since Grek is a monk, he can make unarmed attacks that do threaten those squares that aren't ten feet away. Its a slightly less cheesy take on the Polarm/Spiked Gauntlet combo.

Flawless
2007-07-02, 08:35 PM
This is true but since Grek is a monk, he can make unarmed attacks that do threaten those squares that aren't ten feet away. Its a slightly less cheesy take on the Polarm/Spiked Gauntlet combo.

I guess that's what you call battlefield control ;)

At least as far as non-casters are concerned.

JellyPooga
2007-07-02, 08:37 PM
I played a Half-Ogre Monk in the last game of D&D I played (his name was Jin)...it was mighty grapple-tastic fun, let me tell you.

Although you could look into reach weaponry for the tasty huge threatened area, you may be better off sticking with your already good 10ft reach (no-one's charging you without AoO...well, medium and smaller people aren't anyway) and going for grapple builds, which Monks can excel at what with Improved Grapple as an optional freebee and Half-Ogres are good at due to tasy-big strength and Large size. That's twice as much grapply goodness.

Sure it only works against one dude at a time, but believe me when I say that there's nothing quite like grappling pretty much anything the DM throws at you (before the game ended my list of Grapple kills included an Ogre Mage, a Bone Devil and some kind of weird creature from another dimension with lots of tentacles and such), pinning it and slowly crushing the life out of it. Remember that grapple damage is equal to unarmed damage and a Large Monks unarmed damage is pretty gnarly (something like 2d6 at level 5? Add in a 20+ Strength and you're laughing. Then you have option on feats that improve grapple damage as well...)...all the while the dude you're grappling can't do anything but sit there losing grapple checks against your hideously high grapple modifier.

Shoyliguad
2007-07-02, 08:40 PM
Your math is dead on, since as a monk you don't have to use your hands to attack you can easily use your feet and threaten the natural 10 ft reach and I saw feats that let monks treat other weapons as monk weapons so if you ask your dms nicely I'm sure the'll let you tailor that one feet to fit your weapon of choice. So yes you threaten ALOT of squares, deadly deadly combonation.

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-02, 09:13 PM
70 foot radius how? What I'm seeing is he has a natural reach of 10 feet, and the reach weapon doubles that for 20 feet.

With all of the reach boosting feats, items, grafts, and other effects.

Jack Mann were messing around one day and we got the guys threatened area up to a 70 foot radius.

In the OP's build though his numbers are correct.

Jack Mann
2007-07-03, 12:03 AM
Mind you, you wouldn't be doing a whole lot really useful with all that reach, at least until high levels, given the feats and other resources necessary.

It was mostly an intellectual exercise.

Gralamin
2007-07-03, 12:17 AM
70 foot radius would make Whirlwind attack worth it..

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-03, 01:07 AM
Well, his own space would be a diameter of 10 feet, add 10 feet of natural reach, 10 feet of extended reach, for a circle of 50 feet diameter(10 feet space, 20 feet ahead, 20 feet behind, etc.). Assuming you can take Inhuman Reach, or something similar, you will have 10 base +15 natural +15 weapon, for total 70 diameter.

ndragonsbane
2007-07-03, 08:45 AM
IIRC Type Giant does not give proficiencies, giant Hit Dice give proficiencies. Of course, half-ogre may well have HD, which may make this moot.

Nope, all giants have martial weapons prof.

Traits: A giant possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
-Low-light vision.
-Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as any natural weapons.
-Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Giants not described as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Giants are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
-Giants eat, sleep, and breathe.