PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Races?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-02, 07:59 PM
Looking for Tiny races (or monsters that are playable as races) with an ECL of 5 or less. Ideas?

Gralamin
2007-07-02, 08:05 PM
Pixie is 5 without irresistible dance
Grig is 3.5 apparently (How do you handle half an hd for ECL?)

edit: could of sworn a pixie was tiny.

Pseudodragon is 4, but the Level Adjustment is meant for a Cohort

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-02, 08:14 PM
The Muckdweller from Serpent Kingdoms (p.71) has a +0 LA. It seems slightly overpowered, though.

EDIT: They get a swim speed (20), a bite attack (1d3), darkvision 20, natural armor +3, and a really weak special attack (it can blind you). Ability scores: -6 str, +4 dex, -2 wis, -2 cha.

JellyPooga
2007-07-02, 08:50 PM
Pixie is 5 without irresistible dance
Grig is 3.5 apparently (How do you handle half an hd for ECL?)

No Fey HD, just a LA.

Hee hee, I've always wanted to play a Grig character...:smalltongue:

horseboy
2007-07-02, 08:52 PM
Tried converting Windlings?

Jack_Simth
2007-07-02, 09:17 PM
Gnome or Halfling:
+0 LA.

Reduce Person: 100 gp from a 10th level NPC Wizard.
Permanency for Reduce Person: 3,000 gp from a 10th level NPC Wizard.

Playing a Tiny character with no LA? 3,100 gp (but dispelable).

MandibleBones
2007-07-02, 09:33 PM
Petal or Thorn from MM3. Petal is Tiny; Thorn MAY be small, but I've been wrong before.

RTGoodman
2007-07-02, 09:36 PM
I think Uldra (cold fey critter from "Frostburn") are Tiny, but I'm away from my books right now. Also, I think that they're LA +0 and no-racial HD.

Turns out I was way off. Uldra are Small fey, and have a LA +1.

Smiley_
2007-07-02, 09:45 PM
How about a Musteval or a Coure Eladrin from the BoED. I think that the listed ECL for Musteval is + 5 or something and less for the Coure. I may be wrong though.

Mustevals look like they would make an excellent ranger, rogue, or DEX based fighter.

The coure looks more oriented to Bard/sorcerer.

Gralamin
2007-07-02, 09:57 PM
No Fey HD, just a LA.

Hee hee, I've always wanted to play a Grig character...:smalltongue:

Quote a rule that saids that.

Humanoid Type

A humanoid usually has two arms, two legs, and one head, or a humanlike torso, arms, and a head. Humanoids have few or no supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but most can speak and usually have well-developed societies. They usually are Small or Medium. Every humanoid creature also has a subtype.

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class. Humanoids of this sort are presented as 1st-level warriors, which means that they have average combat ability and poor saving throws.

Humanoids with more than 1 Hit Die are the only humanoids who make use of the features of the humanoid type.
Only 1 hit die humanoids can exchange a Hit die.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-02, 10:00 PM
Quote a rule that saids that.

Only 1 hit die humanoids can exchange a Hit die.

1/2 and 1/4 HDs can exchange too. I don't know where the rule is, specifically, but I know I've seen it.

Gralamin
2007-07-02, 10:01 PM
1/2 and 1/4 HDs can exchange too. I don't know where the rule is, specifically, but I know I've seen it.

You might be talking about this:

Humanoids and Class Levels

Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.

Notice the Humanoids as the header. That generally means that it only applies to Humanoids.

Edit: Found it

If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).
Same page as well.

But that adds an interesting question. Why not place it in the type section? By placing it only for humanoids makes it..misleading.

JellyPooga
2007-07-02, 10:05 PM
Notice the Humanoids as the header. That generally means that it only applies to Humanoids.

So what do you do about 1/2 and 1/4 HD Monsters that are playable (i.e. have a LA)?

My interpretaion is that the intention of the rule is for any creature of 1 or less HD to replace it's monster HD (whatever it may be) with a class level.

Gralamin
2007-07-02, 10:05 PM
So what do you do about 1/2 and 1/4 HD Monsters that are playable (i.e. have a LA)?

My interpretaion is that the intention of the rule is for any creature of 1 or less HD to replace it's monster HD (whatever it may be) with a class level.

I managed to find rules to support it. See above.

Callix
2007-07-02, 11:27 PM
Fax, why are you asking? Surely someone of your awe-inspiring creative faculties could just create a simple, balanced Tiny playable race with a very low ECL. This shouldn't be a question. It should be a challenge.

Kizara
2007-07-02, 11:46 PM
He's almost certinally looking for established precendent to do something along those lines.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-02, 11:57 PM
He's almost certinally looking for established precendent to do something along those lines.

dingdingding we have a winner.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-03, 01:17 AM
If I ever played a tiny race, I would have to go psion, so I could make myself a mosquito sized blaster!