PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Starting Gold for A First-Level Party?

Palanan
2016-07-14, 11:34 AM
It's been a while since I started a campaign at first level, and I'm worried that rolling the basic starting gold may not be enough. The party will be heading deep into the wilderness, with no support and no convenient supply-marts.

So I'm thinking of allowing them a little extra on character creation, but the question is--how much would be appropriate? And since the PCs are almost entirely mundane, what could I give them in terms of minor magical support?

Elder_Basilisk
2016-07-14, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't give them extra starting gold. Instead, I'd give them extra equipment. That way they get the pack mule, pack saddle, 30 days rations, and 6 scrolls of cure light wounds and 1 scroll of lesser restoration instead of going out with a masterwork longsword and a backpack with 2 days' rations.

Really though, a lot is going to depend on why and how the players are going out. New first level characters are not usually in the position to finance a major expedition. Is someone sending them out? Maybe that person says, "I've provided X, Y, and Z; you need to provide your own arms and equipment." Or are they guards for a larger group? In that case the larger group/caravan would usually take care of all the expedition level planning leaving the PCs to worry only about their part of it.

Arc_knight25
2016-07-14, 12:13 PM
In our group we roll for starting gold. But if you didn't get over average dice for the roll then you get average.

We've done that for almost all of our campaigns and it is a fair start for all, and no one is really lagging behind in the loot department.

Gildedragon
2016-07-14, 12:23 PM
I give 300 gp across the board...

Diarmuid
2016-07-14, 02:46 PM
We generally give max starting gold for 1st level characters, but the first response is possibly more appropriate to the kind of answer you're looking for.

And rather than just saying "everyone add XYZ" to their sheet, having a reason that they're getting something extra will help flesh out the game. Is that source something that could be pulled from again if need arose? Will that source expect some kind of recompense (money/services/etc) for providing this assistence, etc.