PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Uses for Craft (Mechanical)?

Wonton
2016-07-14, 01:47 PM
Starting a character with this skill, as it seemed appropriate given the backstory, but is there anything useful I can actually craft with this? Having looked through the Craft rules and even Ultimate Equipment, there's basically nothing there. :smallconfused:

Just so it wouldn't be a total waste, I convinced my DM to let me make a mechanical lockpick (effectively thieves' tools, providing a +2 to Disable Device), but is there anything I'm missing in an actual book somewhere? I have some leftover gold, so I could totally craft something else unless it was outrageously expensive.

Yanisa
2016-07-14, 01:54 PM
Craft (Mechanical) is meant to be used with book Technology Guide. It's also heavily used in the adventure path Iron Gods. Here is some stuff on the PFSRD. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/technological-equipment) In there is a section called Crafting High-Tech Items.

There are more tidbits here and there on the site, just search for "technology" on the site.

Wonton
2016-07-14, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I know, the campaign we're playing will be Iron Gods. But the rules say you can't actually craft technological items without the Technologist feat - only "less advanced forms of technology
such as gears, hinges, and pulleys." Considering guns exist, you'd think simple mechanical devices of some kind (hand-powered, most likely) could also be manufactured, but there seems to be no crunch of any kind available for this.

Yanisa
2016-07-14, 10:51 PM
Most crafts are undefined in what they can make actually. Craft (Mechanical), rulewises, seems to solely exist as prerequisite for the technology crafting feats. I don't see any mention in the books about mechanical but not technology items.
But think of crafts like Craft (Glass), Craft (Leather) and Craft (Cloth). All mentioned in the craft skill section, but no mention of what it is used for. Even Craft (Mechanical) is better defined then those due the line you already quoted. Still its bare bones and up to your (and your dm's) imagination, I guess.