PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is there a way to craft Mimics? Or a class that can turn/use them?

WhiteBread
2016-07-14, 03:46 PM
See question. I am currently looking into making a character that can craft mimics. He will be an npc that will sell mimics to dungeondweller so they can protect their stuff.

Manyasone
2016-07-14, 03:59 PM
Well, since mimics are aberrations, not constructs, you can't craft them. You'll have to design a chest-like construct. Or use a template in the advanced bestiary, constructed I think it's called

Gildedragon
2016-07-14, 04:00 PM
Mimics aren't constructs so "crafting" them is going to be tough. You might be able to breed them though.

You could also craft Effigy-Creature Mimics with the craft construct feat, or level(s) in the effigy master prc

Troacctid
2016-07-14, 04:01 PM
When a mommy mimic and a daddy mimic love each other very much...

trikkydik
If i was DM id just make him without books lol.

"Need a mimic chest? The Universe just gives them to me like candy on Halloween."

When a mommy mimic and a daddy mimic love each other very much...

I love this quote, and theres actually some good advice here.

What if he's just a mimic trainer/breeder? (the first of his kind, the first person ever, to try and breed/train mimics)

Duke of Urrel
Mimics speak Common, so it might be possible to recruit one as a special cohort using the Leadership feat.

Necroticplague
2016-07-14, 04:56 PM
Planar binding could be used to bring forth mimics from various corners of the Planes to be sold off to slavery like this. Shadow Mimics would be of particular use, because they have perpetual total concealment in anything that isn't direct sunlight (i.e, these guys are less visible than invisible stalkers).

I love this quote, and theres actually some good advice here.

What if he's just a mimic trainer/breeder? (the first of his kind, the first person ever, to try and breed/train mimics)
Well, given that mimics are intelligent as human, that would have....unfortunate implications.

eggynack
2016-07-14, 05:07 PM
Well, given that mimics are intelligent as human, that would have....unfortunate implications.
Huh. I was not aware of that. Selling mimics itself has some unfortunate implications, then. Maybe this guy could just be a middle man, connecting mimics that want to hang out in adventurer heavy areas with people that want their stuff protected, and he gets paid for making the connections. He could have some in with mimic society or something. Something about that setup actually strikes me as cooler than just making or breeding mimics. It implies a whole weird backstory, and requires a lot more finesse and consideration.

Edit: Or he could just be a slaver. Something with unfortunate implications in-game can just read as standard evil out of game.

Skysaber
2016-07-15, 12:24 AM
If you are willing to go 3rd party, they have the answer.

The feat Create Magical Creature, found in the Ultimate Book of Feats.

Benefit: You can create any aberration, beast.
magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or plant for
which you meet the prerequisites. The creature
created is not necessarily under your control.

So yes, fill yourself up a chest-shaped jello mold and start your mad cackling. And when business is poor on your line of custom-crafted dungeon guardians, you can always please the kiddies by gluing horns onto the foreheads of horses to produce 100% genuine unicorns. On sale now, while supplies last.

Cost of each creature is based on their CR, but all other particulars of crafting is based on the established formulas. So get those Jacob's Ladders going and stock up on eye of newt!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a nice crop of treants in the backyard that need to be watered. :smallsmile:

WhiteBread
2016-07-15, 05:37 AM
I might just homebrew a class for that just in case. I also like the idea of him being someone who makes connections between mimics and dungeondwellers. That would make him actually a good guy that is pretty much hated in my party. I wanted to make an adventure where they find out who made all these Mimics they always run into. Newbs without 11' poles :smallbiggrin:

ShurikVch
2016-07-15, 05:58 AM
How about the Gate spell?
Call Mimics from another planes!

Also, small note: Mimics work better with thinking out-of-the-box (:smallamused:)
For example, in one old Undermountain adventure, PCs may meet a group of goblins; one of goblins is a very big; if (when) PCs attack the goblins, big goblin turned out to be a goblin-shaped mimic

WhiteBread
2016-07-15, 06:12 AM
How about the Gate spell?
Call Mimics from another planes!

Also, small note: Mimics work better with thinking out-of-the-box (:smallamused:)
For example, in one old Undermountain adventure, PCs may meet a group of goblins; one of goblins is a very big; if (when) PCs attack the goblins, big goblin turned out to be a goblin-shaped mimic

I don't think mimics work that way. They have to be out of wood or stone. And i know that you can shape them like ladders, houses or any kind of furniture. That's also the reason they hate them so much. :smallwink:

Necroticplague
2016-07-15, 10:43 AM
I don't think mimics work that way. They have to be out of wood or stone. And i know that you can shape them like ladders, houses or any kind of furniture. That's also the reason they hate them so much. :smallwink:

Where the heck are you getting the bolded information from?

A mimic can assume the general shape of any object that fills roughly 150 cubic feet (5 feet by 5 feet by 6 feet), such as a massive chest, a stout bed, or a wide door frame. The creature cannot substantially alter its size, though. A mimic’s body is hard and has a rough texture, no matter what appearance it might present. Anyone who examines the mimic can detect the ruse with a successful Spot check opposed by the mimic’s Disguise check. Of course, by this time it is generally far too late.

Arc_knight25
2016-07-15, 11:10 AM

Trainer comes in from a long day of training Mimics, places his hat on the coat rack. Goes about his usual end of day chores. Gets to his room and is about to put his clothes away in a chest by the end of his bed, like he normally does. As he bends over the chest it opens its eyes and he smirks and says, "Clever girl". End scene with screaming.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-15, 11:39 AM
A&EG has the [creature] trainer trait...and you can use diplomacy to facilitate the same stuff as handle animal. So, you could theoretically set up a mimic breeding mill.

ShurikVch
2016-07-15, 11:55 AM
What if he's just a mimic trainer/breeder?
Mimic!
I choose you!!

eggynack
2016-07-15, 03:16 PM
And i know that you can shape them like ladders, houses or any kind of furniture.
This part is also not how it works. Mimics shape themselves. It's pretty neat.

WhiteBread
2016-07-15, 06:36 PM
Where the heck are you getting the bolded information from?

Asking the real questions here... where do i have that from? XD... I do know having read about it while searching for mimic stuff. However checking again I didnt find anything