PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Help With BBEG

Thurbane
2016-07-14, 07:59 PM
Hey all,

Trying to make a credible CR 20 BBEG for waaaaay later in my campaign.

For story reasons, BBEG will be an Ogre Mage Were Dire Ape Ur-Priest 9 (CR 20, 19 HD)

Yes, I know this is FAR from an optimal build for a CR 20 threat, but given the above constraints, how would you optimize this guy? Mainly looking for skill, feat, spell selection and gear advice.

Also, on a side note, is there a fluff conflicting with an Ur-Priest serving an Elder Evil?

Cheers - T

AslanCross
2016-07-14, 10:36 PM
First of all, there was a lower CR Ogre Mage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060721a) that fixed a lot of the design issues of the original 3.5 version (mostly, the mishmash of abilities resulting from the Ogre Mage actually being an Oni and not a European ogre).

The lower initial CR and clearer combat role might give you better optimization space.

I assume he's going to be a caster role? In that case you can actually add caster class levels at half CR to further optimize him, since he is primarily a melee monster. You could probably give him warlock or sorcerer levels.

EDIT:
Ur-priests can most definitely serve Elder Evils, or at the very least want to summon them. The BBEG in the Atropus chapter of Elder Evils is a Bard Ur-Priest who causes the disasters to attract Atropus's attention.

Thurbane
2016-07-21, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I'm 50/50 on the "fixed" Ogre Mage. I mean, it definitely works better rules-wise in 3.5 than the SRD Ogre Mage does, but I just don't like the "feel" of the fixed version.

I'll consider a build with the fixed version though. :smallwink:

Going back to my original build, any ideas on feats, skills and gear to help make it work?

Requiem_Jeer
2016-07-22, 02:55 AM
Brutal Throw, Rock Throwing, and Improved Rock Throwing (CWar, Ros) are good choices, giving ihm a solid ranged attack with good range, accuracy, and damage. A magic item that allows him to generate appropriate rocks is well within his reach, and he could have magical catapult stones that have special effects as one-use magic items.

Spell-wise, it all depends on how much knowledge the BBEG would have on the party the day he engages them. He could have a counter-them array or a more generic buffing/save-or-die allotment.

Emperor Tippy
2016-07-22, 03:04 AM
What kind of fluff do you have for the character?

I mean is this a guy who is fluffed as channeling the power of an Elder Evil to turn himself into some aberrant horror who rips his enemies faces off in melee combat or some cultured mage that would never deign to sully his hands with punching his foes?

Thurbane
2016-07-22, 03:28 AM
What kind of fluff do you have for the character?

I mean is this a guy who is fluffed as channeling the power of an Elder Evil to turn himself into some aberrant horror who rips his enemies faces off in melee combat or some cultured mage that would never deign to sully his hands with punching his foes?

He serves Pandorum (or possibly Zargon, depending on a couple of variables in the campaign yet to be determined), and the basics of his fluff is a hatred of the gods in general (especially the good aligned ones), as well as a quest for personal power.

Ideally he would be a kind of "gish", with a focus on both casting and melee combat - but of the two, probably more focus on casting.

...effectively though, I'm open to suggestions that would make him a credible (or at least not a complete joke) as a CR 20 threat.

For plot reasons, though, Ogre Mage and Were-Dire Ape are a requirement (long story...)

King of Nowhere
2016-07-22, 05:27 AM
since you yourself admit that he's only CR 20 by the numbers, you could give him some more levels. Enough to make him a credible threat.

Inevitability
2016-07-22, 09:01 AM
Hey all,

Trying to make a credible CR 20 BBEG for waaaaay later in my campaign.

For story reasons, BBEG will be an Ogre Mage Were Dire Ape Ur-Priest 9 (CR 20, 19 HD)

Yes, I know this is FAR from an optimal build for a CR 20 threat, but given the above constraints, how would you optimize this guy? Mainly looking for skill, feat, spell selection and gear advice.

Surrogate Spellcasting to cast in lycanthropic form seems a must.

Using Consumptive Field to cast CL-boosted Energy Immunities (to reduce dispel chance), then combining those with an item of continuous Favor of the Martyr (it's within WBL) is a good way to make your players cry.

Also, there's a couple of feats that let you spend uses of Darkness to create different effects in DotU. It might be worth checking out. Instinctive Darkness and At Home in the Deep, for one, work well together.