PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Slightly optimized Dinosaur-raging totemist build

Eldhrimer
2016-07-15, 04:15 AM
Hi lads.
I've been working on this character for the past few days, and thought about sharing it with you, to get some feedback.
Just want to add that I rolled ridiculously well my stats. 18 16 14 18 18 12. The face of my DM was priceless as I rolled them before him. We're starting at lvl 6, but I've planned ahead the build.

Saurian Shifter (Traits: Longtooth, Razorclaw)
Str 18
Dex 18
Con 20
Int 14
Wis 14
Cha 10
Barbarian (lion spiritual totem, and wolf totem) 2 / Totemist 3 / Totem Rager 5 / Warshaper 5 / Weretouched Master 5 (bear) [pre-errata]

Flaws: Implacable and Bravado [Dragon Magazine #328]
Traits: Actually I don't know, I would like some suggestions
Feats:
1:Cobalt Rage
F:Longtooth elite
F:Shape Souldmeld (thunderstep boots)
3:Shifter Multiattack [stripped from BAB prerrequisites]
6:Extra shifter trait (beasthide)
9:Shifter Savagery
12:Open lesser chakra (shoulders)
15:Extra Rage
Extra (weretouched):Beasthide Elite
Extra (weretouched):Great Rend
18:Open lesser chakra (arms) [or open great chakra(waist) I don't know yet]

What I wanted to do with this character was to give him a more natural power growth, with some nice fluff, all my totems are renamed as Deinonychus, and I get the Deinonychus look with bear stats at the capstone of Weretouched Master. I have grown a bit fond of optimizing my characters, and that have cause me to me called by my friends "game breaker", I've tried to limit myself in this one. But given I enjoy optimizing, I couldn't help myself better than this. I wanted it to be real feral and ferocious when he goes into change and rage, but remain useful outside of it.
Ah, one last note. Open X Chakra and Shape Souldmeld are interpreted in the more wider sense. They give one additional bind and shape, respectively.

So, watcha think?

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-15, 08:11 AM
I'd try to get great rend earlier. Are you whirling Frenzy or normal rage?

Eldhrimer
2016-07-15, 01:25 PM
I'd try to get great rend earlier. Are you whirling Frenzy or normal rage?

Normal Rage.
I choose great rend just for the extra shifter change mostly. Not particulary impress with any of the other feats.
In wich level you would put it?

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-15, 09:43 PM
I would swap out the third level of totemist for fighter. The magical beast bonus save isn't all that important when you could pick up a feat. Even if it's just a fighter feat. Martial study, maybe? No screw that: Knockdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knockdown makes your build monstrous. From Sword and Fist or Deities and demigods: Prereq = +2 BAB, improved trip, str 15. When you hit your opponent for 10 or more damage you get a free trip attempt against your opponent. Which synergizes pretty darn well with improved trip.

Maybe level 9 is where the damage boost from rend, plus the girallon arms, will help. Per set of claws, you deal an extra 5 damage on average. That's 10 damage if both go off. Shifter savagery increases die size two steps which is roughly an average of a +2 damage per natural attack per round. Assuming girallon arms again, you average a +10 damage...but DR will bone you a bit. Plus, with knockdown, you are more likely to trigger off of a rend which is damage tied to your second claw attack.

With totem rage, you can bunch essentia into totem avatar soulmeld to get the +2 per natural attack that shifter savagery promises anyway.