PDA

View Full Version : What magic items to get

bigbaddragon
2007-07-02, 09:41 PM
Hi everyone, I'm playing a ranger/scout character focused on two weapon fighting and the next level I take will be Dervish PrC, and I'm wondering (can't decide actually) what magic items to purchase over, lets say, next 4-5 levels. My current character level is 6.

Magical items I posses are:
1) +1 intelligent scimitar (treated as +2 while I'm mounted and can cast bless on me as a free action three times per day, and guess what/who is inside - some horse)
2) +1 mithral chainshirt
3) cloak of resistance +2, and hiding +2
4) gloves of dexterity +2
5) headband of wisdom +1

Another +1 scimitar is a must have and I was also considering Skirmisher boots from MIC, but I'm in a doubt what about other body slots and what about augment crystals - too many of them look good and I don't have the money to purchase them all of course.

I would greet any useful suggestions you could make on this because I simply can't make up my mind.

If its of any help race is human and we're playing in Eberron.

Thanks in advance.

Smiley_
2007-07-02, 09:48 PM
Bag of tricks.

What more can I say? You can maybe get a ring of Air mastery and use that to drop rhino's, lions, tigers, and bears (oh my) onto unsuspecting enemies from 500 feet up or so.

JellyPooga
2007-07-02, 09:56 PM
Ooo oo, Ring Gates...they have about 3 bajillion uses, including (if you are or have in your party a small stealthy type) jumping/squeezing through them.

Running away from someone? Drop a Ring Gate (face up), when your pursuer gets to it, drop/throw a bag of tanglefoot or alchemists fire through the one you're holding, or have the wizard cast fireball through it, or get the fighter to stab his glaive through it, or grab their ankles.

Want to have some crazy fun? Play Monster-Head Hoopla: Someone holds one Gate whilst you throw the other onto a monsters head...then the Rogue Sneak Attacks the head that is now protuding from the held Gate.

Party Splitting up and ther's only one Cleric? No problem! Give the Cleric a Gate and the other Gate to the other half of the party...when you need healing, poke your head through the gate and give the Cleric a shout. One Cure Light/Moderate/Critical wounds later and everyone's happy!

Rogue scouting, but time is of the essence? Don't bother sending him forward and waiting for him to come back, jus tsend him forth with a Ring Gate. When he has some info or needs to give the 'all clear', he just pokes his head through the Gate.

Oh, the possibilities...I could go on for ages about Ring Gates and their uses...

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-02, 10:01 PM
Well this is the best place i can find for some nice and different magic swords i dont hav a cost for any and some are prty farfetched so check with ur DM before doin anything... well i cant find a hyper link but heres the scimatars, i got short swords if u want them too.

Scimitars
Sandstorm
<Philippe Belanger: [email protected]>
Scimitar +2
Alignment Chaotic Good
Intelligence 16
Ego 14.
Speaks Common and Djinn.
It has the following powers:
Whirlwind: Allows the wielder to attack as if wielding as Scimitar of speed. Can use this power 1/day.
Wall of Sand: Three times per day.
Sand Cone: Once per day.
Sword of Second Sight
<Jason Choi: [email protected]>
A +2 Scimitar, when held, its blade becomes invisible. This causes a -4 penalty to all creatures who try to parry an attack from the user of this weapon. Furthermore, the wielder can hurl the weapon at a range of up to 60 feet. The sword gains a +5 "To Hit" bonus against all invisible, concealed, or ethereal creatures within the distance of striking range (60'). The wielder can detect magic & invisibility in a 3 feet radius when the blade is grasped and commanded.
The Scimitar of Lurdas
<Jose Carlos de Souza Santos: [email protected]>
This dreaded weapon is the proof that making deals with the fiends is the easiest way of auto-destroying.
Appearance:
The Scimitar of Lurdas appears as a normal, steel scimitar. The weapon is in a very good appearance, as if it was new. The blade is more sharper and the hilt is made of iron, with various demoniac faces carved into it (Anyone who has traveled to the Abyss will recognize the faces as the Tanar'ri). The pommel of the hilt is in the form of a head of a Balor (see MC8) with the mouth open. The eyes of the Balor are made from a Black Opal. Anyone who looks inside the mouth will see scenes of the Abyss and must make a saving throw vs. Spells with a -6 penalty or flee in terror for 2-20 rounds. The mouth is a gateway to the Abyss. For it to function , the person must throw the weapon to the ground and say: "Take me to Pazunia, take me to those, take me to the 1,001 closets". The person who did this and everyone within a radius of 10' will be instantly transported to the first layer of the Abyss, Pazunia.
History:
In an unknown world, there was a great warrior. This warrior was very powerful but he was also very evil. He felt that only he should command, and all the other beings should be his slaves. His name was Lurdas. And what he wanted was nothing short of conquering the world. He sought the powers and alliance of powerful mages and ancient dragons, but they refused to help him. He then looked for the wisest sages, but none told him nothing. Finally he studied the mysteries of the Outer Planes and sought the powers of the fiends. The fiends said that they would craft to him an extremely powerful weapon, a weapon which would help him to acquire his dream. But, they also said that the weapon had a price. With that weapon he should kill 1,001 human beings. They also said that for every 100 persons he killed, he should kill one that had his own blood, a family member, in one day. If, at the end of the killing he hadn't failed with any terms of the agreement, the sword would be his permanent possession and he would be granted the gift of immortality. If he ever failed with the terms of the agreement, the sword would disappear and everything he acquired with it would disappear. Lurdas anxiously agreed with this and after 3 years the fiends handed him the sword.
Lurdas then began a killing rampage, murdering every one who stood in his way. However, a week after he had put his hand in the scimitar, he discovered that the sword was controlling him. The sword enticed him to enslave all the humans he encountered and to build a great empire. Soon the other rulers became aware of Lurdas powers and his intentions. They send assassins and mercenaries to kill him, but none ever returned, turning into soldiers of Lurdas. In one year the warrior had his own empire and he was starting a war with the other kingdoms. However, Lurdas knew that it was the sword that was ruling his kingdom. He also knew that something strange was happening with him, his body was slowly and painfully changing. He had wings growing on his back and his skin was turning to red. The warrior was at the brink of insanity. He had already killed his fathers, his sister, his son and his wife. In a moment of rage, he announced the mass execution of 100 prisoners. Just 100 more deaths and the sword would be his possession, forever. He send soldiers to bring back to the court his daughter, who had fled from the country. She would also be executed, finishing the terms of his agreement with the fiends. He executed the prisoners and waited for his daughter, when the soldiers came back and said that she was dead. He killed the soldiers and waited for the end of the day. At that time, his soul was drained by the sword and his whole empire crumbled in a few days. No one ever found any traces of his body or his scimitar.
The sword Teleported Without Error to any world or location the DM wants, except the Planes and Ravenloft.
Scimitar Powers:
INT: 17
EGO: 22
Primary Powers: Detect Evil/Good in a 60' radius
Extraordinary Powers: ESP, 30 yards range- 3 times/day , 1 round per use Suggestion, 6 times/day, -4 penalty, affects the wielder only (see below)
Scimitar +5, Vorpal weapon: Severs in a natural roll of: 15-20 (Normal size, armored)
Telepathy and speech
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Powers:
Minor: Charm Person (at will)
Regenerate (2hp/turn)
Improves Armor Class by 3 points
Haste(2/day)
Major: Globe Of Invulnerability (1/day)
STR of 23 (+5/+11)
Others: Complete Immunity to all non-magical attacks
Magic Resistance of 70%
Psionic Powers: Level- 10 Dis/Sci/Dev 4/5/15
Score: 19
Att/Def
PSPs: 250 PB, MT, EW, PsC/M-, TS, MB
Disciplines: Psychokinesis: Sciences- Disintegrate; Devotions- Animate Shadow, Control Body, Control Flames, Molecular Agitation.
Psychometabolism: Sciences- Death Field, Metamorphosis; Devotions- Adrenaline Control, Aging, Cause Decay, Cell Adjustment, Double Pain.
Psychoportation: Sciences- Teleport; Devotions- Dimensional Door, Dimensional Walk, Teleport Trigger.
Metapsionics: Sciences- Ultrablast; Devotions- Magnify, Psionic Inflation, Psychic Drain.
Notes:
1) All powers with exception to superhuman strength, immunities to attack and magic, regeneration and AC improvement, requires a mental command. The user will only know of this powers when the sword tell him. The other powers will come into use as soon as the sword is touched. However, the sword has the ability to make any of these fail whenever it wants.
2) The sword has a bonus of + 5 and is vorpal, but don't tell the player this. He has to carry the weapon by his own choice for one day.
3) At the end of the day, when the wielder is sleeping, the sword will telepathically talk to him, saying that it was forged by the purest of the gods to combat the evil and bring peace to the world (what a lie). It will also say that their mission is a very secret one and that he shouldn't tell anyone about it. The sword will tell that for each time the wielder brings good to the world by using it, he will became more powerful. If the user ever completed the mission of destroying evil in his world, he would be transformed in an angelic being and would join the gods in eternal life.
At this time, the DM should check the weapon's and the character's personality score. If the weapon wins, then the character believes the story and will be controlled by the weapon. If the character wins, then he should roll a saving throw vs. Spells (- 4, no bonuses). Failure means that the character is not controlled but believes the story. Success means that the character isn't controlled and doesn't believe the story. However, the character has to make 6 saving throw per day to resist believing the story and each time his personality score changes, the DM should compare them to see if the user avoids being controlled.
4) The sword will force the user into committing acts of ultimate evil. The scimitar will always try to mismatch the act, saying that it has some reason for the good. For example, killing a baby is explained by the fact that the baby would grow to be an evil man, slaying a beggar is to save his soul and bring peace to him and things like that.

5) For each evil deed done by the wielder, his alignment will slowly turn to evil. When he is a complete, chaotic, evil, cruel and sadistic person, the sword will reveal its true nature and many other things will happen.
Number of
Evil Acts Result
5 Al: LN
10 Al: LE
15 User becomes bonded to the sword, hair becomes old (CHA -1)
20 AL: NE, teethes grew sharp (1d4), Skin turns to red (CHA -4)
30 Small wings grow (9, D) (CHA -3)
40 AL: CE, skin falls in the feet and in the hand, wings grow larger (18, C) and claws grow (2d6 each) (CHA -8)
50 Wings grow larger (36, B),skin turns into a very deep red (CHA -7)
oo Al: CE, user turns into a Balor (MC8) and is transported to the Abyss. This will only happen when the user opens a permanent gate to the Abyss (DM decide how this is done).
When the user has committed 15 evil deeds, the sword will reveal to him its minor powers. 25 evil deeds and the sword reveals its major powers and 40 deeds means that the sword reveal its true purpose and its other powers.
6) The psionic powers of the scimitar will be revealed when the wielder has done 15 evil acts.
7) Count the +5 bonus secretly in combat until the user has done 5 acts. The same for the strength and the other powers which doesn't need to be activated (e.g. The user will always be immune to non-magical attacks (unless the scimitar doesn't want, as described above) but he won't know of this until he has committed 40 evil acts). As a rule of role-playing, the sword will entice the user saying that he should do "good" to become more powerful (where good means evil).
8) The sword demands at least 5 human souls per day. If at the end of the day the user hasn't provided the 5 souls, the sword will feed on his soul, draining 10% of one of the character score per soul (e.g. if the character has fed the sword with only 3 souls in one day the sword will drain 20% of one of his score, like STR or INT). If the character is completely drained by the sword, he will be irrevocably dead, not even a wish can bring the character back, because he has turned into a manes in the Abyss. When the character has fed the sword with 100 souls (20 days), he will have to seek and kill one close family member in 3 hours. If he fails to do this, the sword will automatically drain his whole soul and the character will be dead, as described above.
9) Against any Lawful Good creatures (Lammasu, Gold Dragons, etc..) none of the sword powers will function, except the vorpal and +5 ability. When any creature of this alignment comes within 10' of the sword, the user has to make saving throw vs. Spells with a -6 penalty. If he fails he becomes bonded to the sword, nothing can separate him from it, his alignment shift to CE and the sword reveals its true nature and power. If he succeeds the sword kindly asks him if he wants to continue with it in the pursue of evil. If the user agrees, the results are the same for a failed ST. If he disagree, he can throw off the weapon. In any case the sword adds a +10 extra dmg bonus against these creatures.
10) This sword can only be used by humans of LG and evil alignment. No demihumans and humans of others alignment may use the sword, who will feel it cold and they would immediately throw it down.
11) Any ability to detect alignment of the user is warped, and the user will see the alignment that the sword wants him to see.
12) This sword can be used by any character class.
How to destroy the Scimitar:
1) Travel to Pazunia (Abyss first layer) and kill 1.001 manes with a holy knife.
2) Go to the layer number 222 of the Abyss and copy the gigantic runes that are stretched across the ground of this plane, from the Lake of Terror to the Pass of the Unholy (11,880 runes)
3) Go to the layer number 400 of the Abyss, climb the Mountain of Woe carrying only a holy sword and throw the Scimitar into the deepest Pit of Despair. After throwing the Scimitar, read aloud the runes in 3 hours and 18 minutes (1 rune/second). If everything is done right, the scimitar will be permanently destroyed- sounds easy, doesn't ? :).

If you think that anything is too confusing about the scimitar, drop me a line and I explain it to you.
The Sword of Arak was created by the Ravenloft Design Team.

TrollsBane
<Gian Luca Sacco: [email protected]>
This magically enchanted scimitar does not have any plus but can hit "+1 or better monster". It is permanently covered by a thin veil of acid which inflicts 1d3 additional damage which cannot be regenerated nor magically healed. The damage inflicted with TrollsBane can only be healed at a rate of 1 HP per day, by no means is possible to speed up the healing process.
Ulundaris
A +1 scimitar, which when used by a Druid has the ability to cut vegetation (including wood) as if it were soft material. In combat it is +3 vs. plants.

Kizara
2007-07-02, 10:27 PM
You have a cloak of hiding +2?
Headband of Wisdom +1?

Buy a +0.5 composite longbow.
Also, lesser ropes of climbing (3 feet, +1 to climbing checks) are awesome.
Boots of peaking and hopping: +2 feet movement speed and +2 to jump checks.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-02, 10:58 PM
Kizara:
The same cloak also acts as a +2 cloak of resistance and +2 to hide enchantment is applied to the same cloak in order not to occupy another item slot and both these enchantments will be increased in the near future.

My base will save at char level 6 is 1 and my wisdom is odd numbered so I consider 500 gp investment to raise it good for me and for the rest of party.

And heres a perfect item for you: its an item set that occupies all body slots and it give + 100 int per slot so you could maybe suggest something useful as noted in the first post. But nah, even that way you'd probably end up with penalty to int.

Sornjss Lichdom:
Thanks for the swords, I'll go through them with my DM.

Kizara
2007-07-02, 11:12 PM
Kizara:
The same cloak also acts as a +2 cloak of resistance and +2 to hide enchantment is applied to the same cloak in order not to occupy another item slot and both these enchantments will be increased in the near future.

My base will save at char level 6 is 1 and my wisdom is odd numbered so I consider 500 gp investment to raise it good for me and for the rest of party.

And heres a perfect item for you: its an item set that occupies all body slots and it give + 100 int per slot so you could maybe suggest something useful as noted in the first post. But nah, even that way you'd probably end up with penalty to int.

Sornjss Lichdom:
Thanks for the swords, I'll go through them with my DM.

I find it humorus that you insult my intelligence considering the following:

Your OP states:

"3)Cloak of Resistance +2, and hiding +2"
Which is read "I have a cloak of resistance +2, and I also have a cloak of hiding +2". If they were the same cloak, you would put no comma. Knowing grammar so you don't make yourself look silly is great.

"headband of wisdom +1"
Note this "Headband of +1 to will saves" does not exist unless you homebrewed it. In fact, aside from inherent bonuses from tomes/wishes, no effect in the game that I'm familiar with grants you only +1 to a stat. Look at races/spells.

The normal +2 stat boosters are 4,000.
Cheese much?

The reason why I didn't bother to suggest any 'useful' items, is because your group doesn't seem to be playing with the "useful" item rules as presented in the DMG. So I thought I would poke a little bit of fun. I'm sorry my wit doesn't move you, perhaps if you increased your reading comprehension you might fare better.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-02, 11:47 PM
Kizara:

It seems to me that you're the only one that thought I had two cloaks.

People make typing mistakes regardless of their grammar skills (its 6:30 AM in my time zone and I sometimes suffer a sleeping disorder which usually degrades my concentration greatly).

My headband of wisdom gives +1 enhancement bonus to wisdom (my DM allows odd numbered bonuses) and it cost 500 gp because my party wizard made it for me.

Poking a little bit of fun is everyone's privilege (I used mine in the last post).

Jannex
2007-07-02, 11:59 PM
Items that give odd-numbered Ability bonuses make perfect sense; we've used them in my D&D group as well.

How much cash do you anticipate your character having to work with? That'll affect recommendations.

One thought: If you're planning on going Dervish, you might consider investing in an Int-boosting item; 2+Int skill points is going to be a major drop from what you've had previously.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-03, 12:13 AM
Items that give odd-numbered Ability bonuses make perfect sense; we've used them in my D&D group as well.

How much cash do you anticipate your character having to work with? That'll affect recommendations.

One thought: If you're planning on going Dervish, you might consider investing in an Int-boosting item; 2+Int skill points is going to be a major drop from what you've had previously.

I can't tell for sure, my DM is pretty unpredictable when it comes to character wealth. I'm guessing 20k gp maybe for the next four or five levels. The good thing is that most of wondrous items will be crafted by my party wizard so I will be forced to actually buy(upgrade) only weapons and armor.

The skill points will be fine since my DM changed all classes that get 2 skill points per level to get 4 instead. Also he is giving extra skill point to any class each level so I'll be getting 7 skill points per level as Dervish.

Jannex
2007-07-03, 12:24 AM
The skill points will be fine since my DM changed all classes that get 2 skill points per level to get 4 instead. Also he is giving extra skill point to any class each level so I'll be getting 7 skill points per level as Dervish.

That's a really nice deal.

You're probably going to want to put some of that money toward upgrading your armor. Does somebody in the party already have a Bag of Holding, or plan to get one? Because that's fairly basic. For more personal use, Rings of Deflection and Amulets of Natural Armor (in that order!) are generally useful.

By the way, I think I encountered that same magic scimitar with the horse in it, in an Eberron game once. We brought it back to the elves, though.

Anxe
2007-07-03, 12:25 AM
Another strength boosting item and some slippers of spider climb. You can start dancing up walls!

bigbaddragon
2007-07-03, 12:44 AM
I took the scimitar from elf ranger that tried to kill me (he was a follower of The Blood Of Vol) so it will most likely remain in my possession . We already have one bag of holding so that won't be a problem.

Funny but enemies so far didn't have any rings or bracers of deflection. In the previous campaign run by the same DM none of us had to buy rings of deflection because we took them from our enemies (we all had +2 defl to AC by level seven or eight).

Can you think of any items that would be useful in conjunction with dervish dance and/or skirmish (is there an item that gives extra dice for skirmish damage)? Also can you think of weapon properties other than wounding that would be particulary useful with my skirmish/dance combo?

Curmudgeon
2007-07-03, 12:47 AM
Bag of tricks.

What more can I say? You can maybe get a ring of Air mastery and use that to drop rhino's, lions, tigers, and bears (oh my) onto unsuspecting enemies from 500 feet up or so. That generally doesn't work so well, due to the nature of these improvised weapons. I dunno; do you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (thrown big game animals)? And you have to remember the -100 penalty for 50 range increments.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-03, 12:58 AM
Just for the record:
my party wizard jumped (on intent) on some metallic guardian dog and killed it with falling damage :smallsmile:

asqwasqw
2007-07-03, 01:02 AM
That generally doesn't work so well, due to the nature of these improvised weapons. I dunno; do you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (thrown big game animals)? And you have to remember the -100 penalty for 50 range increments.

You don't throw it down, you throw it forward and then let it fall.

Jannex
2007-07-03, 01:04 AM
Can you think of any items that would be useful in conjunction with dervish dance and/or skirmish (is there an item that gives extra dice for skirmish damage)? Also can you think of weapon properties other than wounding that would be particulary useful with my skirmish/dance combo?

I've always been a fan of Keen, and with the scimitar's threat range, it's even more fun. Unless you're planning on taking Improved Crit, which might be cheaper. (My last DM let them stack. :smallbiggrin:) The various +1d6 [energy] damage enhancements are all right, too. When you've got lots of attacks, it's not a bad idea to expand your threat range, or to get extra dice of damage.

As far as miscellaneous Wondrous Items... I'll think on it.

Alleine
2007-07-03, 01:05 AM

Int boosting items don't provide extra skill points. Or at least that is what the SRD says for the headband of intellect.

Jannex
2007-07-03, 01:15 AM
Int boosting items don't provide extra skill points. Or at least that is what the SRD says for the headband of intellect.

Well that's irritating. Con-boosting items give you more HP... Guess you'd need to go for the ridiculously expensive Tomes, then. Guh.

I think WotC just hates skill points... *grumble grumble*

bigbaddragon
2007-07-03, 01:22 AM
I think WotC just hates skill points... *grumble grumble*

Luckily my DM hates WotC for that :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2007-07-03, 09:12 AM
(Referring to dropping big game animals from 500' up):
You don't throw it down, you throw it forward and then let it fall. The problem is that D&D doesn't have any rules for hitting things by dropping objects. If you want to hit you need an attack roll, and the total distance to the target (regardless of direction) is used to adjust for range increments.

The alternative is that you've got an unaimed object, and the winds pick the target instead of you.