PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Festival Domain

Haldir
2016-07-15, 11:54 AM
Festival Domain

Gods of fermentation and festivities are often content to accept worshippers during weddings, birthdays, harvest revelries and pretty much any night at every local tavern. Sometimes, however, a true party animal comes along and earns particular favor for their vivacious lifestyle. The Gods of Festivals send these ambassadors out to ensure that there is always someone, somewhere, ready to get the party started. These clerics and their gods love nothing more than wine, women, and good times.

Bonus Cantrip
When you choose this domain, you gain the Prestidigitation cantrip if you don’t already know it.

Great Fortitude
With the first level of the Festival Domain you receive Great Fortitude, which bestows proficiency on Constitution saves against poison and immunity to the negative effects of inebriation, reflecting your regular use of intoxicating substances. Most any cleric granted this domain will already have a considerable tolerance for drugs and alcohol.

Channel Divinity: Water to ‘Shine
At second level, you gain to ability to use your Channel Divinity ability to replicate the effects of a Bless Water ritual, turning regular water into your God’s holy water, which is a potent liquor. This liquor functions exactly like Holy Water, with only the added benefit of being extremely high in alcohol by volume.

Evangelical Extrovert
Upon reaching level 6, the sheer magnitude of your vibe becomes hard to resist. Any spell you cast that requires an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma save to resist has its difficulty check increased by 2.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 poison damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2D8.

Life of the Party
At 17th level, nothing can harsh your mellow. You are immune to all mind affecting spells and effects, as the Mind Blank spell. Any creature you are partying with within 60’ gains advantage on all Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma saves.

Festival Domain Spells

1- Tasha’s Hideous Laughter, Charm Person

3- Blur, Lesser Restoration

5- Hypnotic Pattern, Major Image

7- Confusion, Freedom of Movement

9- Private Party Sanctum, Creation

I'm coming out of retirement for a skype 5e game, so I decided to update my old Cleric of Dionysus. None of the pre-packaged domains really fit the flavor I wanted, so I whipped up something of my own. In power terms, compared to the other domains, I'd rate this high-middle. Thoughts?

Edit- Finalized version of the Festival Domain, ready for play in any 5e game. Spells were chosen to synergize with the domain powers and give some much needed power to a domain, which quite frankly, has too many situational/mostly roleplay features. The decision to move Private Sanctum to a 5th level spell is somewhat unprecedented, but as it is mostly utility and a ritual to boot, I felt that the flavor it adds was worth the unothordoxy and not a significant enough power boost for one of the spell capstones.

Please feel free to use and share.

Final Hyena
2016-07-15, 12:13 PM
The great fortitude feature seems to reference a bonus gained equal to your "power" I think different wording would help, "Festival features" might be clearer, or you could using your proficiency instead. Honestly I'm not sure about such a large increase outside of the normal prof+stat, what about changing it to proficiency in con saves?

Also the 6th level feature is pretty strong.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-15, 12:52 PM
Where I am still stuck is the spells, so I am taking any suggestions. I care more about thematics than power, and I tend to favor utility over combat. What I have so far: Hideous Laughter, Charm Person, Feeblemind, Remove Poison, Blur, Heroes Feast, and Magnificent Mansion (for a sweet party pad, of course.) Please lemme know if you have ideas for something thematically appropriate!

For starters, there's no 'Remove Poison' spell in 5e (it's Lesser Restoration you want) and Feeblemind & Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion are both too high a level for domain spells (8 and 7, respectively).

Personally, Blur seems a strange one, since festivals are surely more likely to blur your vision than your appearance...

Other than that, I'd suggest Magic Mouth and Hypnotic Pattern, maybe Animate Objects and Mislead? Taken together, they kind of have a 'party trick' feel.

Haldir
2016-07-15, 12:52 PM
I am new to the system, and blanked on the proficiency thing. Good suggestion.

The sixth level power was intended to be powerful, on par with knowledge domains variable skill, partially to compensate for the level 1 and 2 powers being so incredibly situational. Do you feel its game breaking?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-15, 01:09 PM
Additional thought: if you're up for homebrew, I could put together a few custom spells. I'd let you use this one I made earlier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20472322&postcount=13) as well, but unfortunately it's a cantrip so it's not really much help. :smallsigh:

zeek0
2016-07-15, 03:03 PM
Making up spell lists is one of my favorite things!

Here's the blurb of text I made to inspire myself:
"Bacchanal. Carnevale. The transformation of the mundane into the marvelous. The triumph of emotions over reality. Being swept up in the moment, the crowd, the movement. To summon the present by sacrificing the future. The self is lost in the event. At the heart one orchestrates."

And here's the spells:
1 /// charm person, disguise self
2 /// enthrall, suggestion
3 /// create food and water, hypnotic pattern
4 /// confusion, hallucinatory terrain
5 /// modify memory, creation

Also, I imagine this domain as the caster kind of cleric (light, knowledge) instead of melee (war, life). To me, it fits the image of the host of the party better. That means potent spellcasting instead of divine strike.

Alas, the Magnificent Mansion is 7th level.

EDIT: Next I want a Festivus domain.

Haldir
2016-07-15, 08:51 PM
Dm has accepted my revised domain. Many of your spell suggestions helped immensely! Thanks much.

tombowings
2016-07-15, 11:58 PM
It's funny how you can see people's deferring opinions of these deities based on their domains. I wrote up a domain specifically for Dionysus, working with the theme of a good party gone bad. Check it out if you're interested.

http://wayfarersguild.blogspot.com/2016/05/cleric-revelry-domain.html (http://wayfarersguild.blogspot.com/2016/05/cleric-revelry-domain.html)

Haldir
2016-07-16, 12:40 AM
I like that our capstones have a similar mechanical purpose. Your domain is certainly more powerful combat-wise, I'm new to 5e but almost all your features grant advantage or disadvantage in some way, which seems big.

tombowings
2016-07-16, 02:16 AM
I like that our capstones have a similar mechanical purpose. Your domain is certainly more powerful combat-wise, I'm new to 5e but almost all your features grant advantage or disadvantage in some way, which seems big.

That the reason for giving combat abilities is because I don't use the 5e skill system in my games - I use the 4e skill system instead. So if my subclass if going to be of use to anyone, I have to limit it in some ways.

Haldir
2016-07-16, 09:00 AM
I am away from my machine, so i don't have my spell list, but it was a bit more expansive in power than yours. Hideous Laughter, charm and a couple of illusion spells for entertaining, and can definitely be encounter ending. Synergizes really well with my level 6 power. Good suggestions here, but i didn't much care for enthrall.

Haldir
2016-07-19, 11:33 AM
Edit- Finalized version of the Festival Domain, ready for play in any 5e game. Spells were chosen to synergize with the domain powers and give some much needed power to a domain, which quite frankly, has too many situational/mostly roleplay features. The decision to move Private Sanctum to a 5th level spell is somewhat unprecedented, but as it is mostly utility and a ritual to boot, I felt that the flavor it adds was worth the unothordoxy and not a significant enough power boost for one of the spell capstones.

Please feel free to use and share.

Shameless bump here, just to showcase finalization of the domain and to let people who might be interested in using it get a chance to see that it's completed.