PDA

View Full Version : Question about spells

Sir cryosin
2016-07-15, 12:51 PM
Can I use a shout as the verbal component of a spell. Or does it have to be words of a language? Because I was thinking of creating a fighter and then when he gets to a certain level I will take levels and sorcerer And I wanted to play it up as when we're in the middle of a battle he goes to go swing his sword but he actually cast green flame blade or he goes to go do something and he shouts and accidentally cast a spell I'll have to fluff his Arcane focus into his sword or something on him or something like that

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-15, 01:05 PM
This is setting-dependent, which means the DM has final say, but I can't see many people refusing this. It also gives you a great fluff reason to take the subtle spell metamagic - when you use it, that's when you actually mean to cast a spell, and you do it all quietly and properly; the rest of the time it's like something you're not really in control of.

Yuki Akuma
2016-07-15, 01:10 PM
Verbal and somatic components are totally up to you to decide. They're not silly in-jokes like the material components are.

RickAllison
2016-07-15, 01:10 PM
Can I use a shout as the verbal component of a spell. Or does it have to be words of a language? Because I was thinking of creating a fighter and then when he gets to a certain level I will take levels and sorcerer And I wanted to play it up as when we're in the middle of a battle he goes to go swing his sword but he actually cast green flame blade or he goes to go do something and he shouts and accidentally cast a spell I'll have to fluff his Arcane focus into his sword or something on him or something like that

To the SRD!!!

"The words themselves aren’t the source of the spell’s power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion."

So verbal components aren't a problem with shouting.

"Spellcasting gestures might include a forceful gesticulation or an intricate set of gestures. If a spell requires a somatic component, the caster must have free use of at least one hand to perform these gestures."

If you have a free hand or Warcaster, this also works out just fine. You are still obeying the mechanical requirements.

Material components are where it gets icky. I am not sure whether Eldritch Knights or any racial spells can be done arcane foci, I think they have to use a component pouch. Even then, I would see no problem with the fighter carrying around little trinkets that just so happen to be the necessary components. It is a reverse Magic Feather, instead of having the power and thinking he needs the item, he needs the item but thinks he has the power.