View Full Version : Comics Wonder Woman - Rebirth

Avilan the Grey
2016-07-15, 05:39 PM
The first real Rebirth book rocks! ( #2 ). The first one was just a setup for the whole thing, but I think this is my favorite origin retelling so far of hers.
I also love the art. And the fact that she, and her mother, actually look Greek, which is awesome. I have always hated the look of her mom when she's a blonde midwestern woman.

Plus actual romance between the women on the island, not only hints.

Now can we please have a good Birds of Pray and Power Girl?

DiscipleofBob
2016-07-18, 07:28 AM
I just caught up with WW#2, and while I like the direction they're going, I hate the pacing. Three issues in and we've got barely any plot and a flashback of stuff we mostly already knew. Granted, with Rebirth getting rid of some of the New52 origin changes the flashback issue is nice, I just wish we got a better idea of what's going on in the main plot, especially since it's implied we're getting the REAL Olympians back, not frog-monster Poseidon and candle-face Hades.

Avilan the Grey
2016-07-18, 08:16 AM
PErsonally I love the pacing.
Also remember this is now a twice-a-month title; every second issue (odd numbers) will be current, and every second (even numbers) will be origin story / flashback.

DiscipleofBob
2016-07-18, 08:34 AM
PErsonally I love the pacing.
Also remember this is now a twice-a-month title; every second issue (odd numbers) will be current, and every second (even numbers) will be origin story / flashback.

I did not know that part. That definitely changed my perception of things.

Clertar
2016-07-18, 09:49 AM
Somehow, DC superheroes seem stuck in an eternal limbo of origin retellings... Why not just take one and run with it? Marvel superheroes with lame origin stories (Iron Fist) can be reworked and fine-tuned in their storyline, without having to retrace the same origin path dozens of times.

DiscipleofBob
2016-07-18, 10:52 AM
Somehow, DC superheroes seem stuck in an eternal limbo of origin retellings... Why not just take one and run with it? Marvel superheroes with lame origin stories (Iron Fist) can be reworked and fine-tuned in their storyline, without having to retrace the same origin path dozens of times.

I actually think Marvel could really do with a reboot right about now. Most of their characters have just gotten to the point where it's impossible to catch up to their nonsensical plotlines.

Of course Ultimate Marvel was a good idea on how to do this, but ultimately (pun not intended) failed in its execution.

Besides, DC Rebirth is less a reboot and more cleaning up the mess left by the last 5 years of New52 and DCYOU, and bringing back a lot of the stuff that was scrapped in Flashpoint.

Jayngfet
2016-07-18, 12:17 PM

Not to mention Wonder Woman is particularly bad in terms of reboots. In fact, I believe she may be the most rebooted A-Lister out there.

Which is kind of bad because to me, they got it right really early on and every reboot for the last 30 years or so has only been window dressing. Even this reboot, much as I don't hate the actual writing, is really really redundant. It doesn't do anything other stories didn't, it doesn't give some kind of new insight into the character, and it doesn't really give any element to the character she couldn't do without.

DiscipleofBob
2016-07-20, 10:57 PM
I picked up some more Rebirth issues today. No WW but I wanted to share some of her other appearances.

She's in Justice League (obviously) which is honestly probably the worst Rebirth book I've read so far. It's very rushed, the art is dull, the plot is bland, basically if you've ever walked into the third act of a blockbuster movie where there's a bunch of explosions and action but no tension behind it because you didn't get the first two acts to build everything up, you've got the idea on how JL is faring. It does seem to have an interesting story, just not one that's well told.

But WW also makes a brief appearance in the first issue of Hellblazer. I won't spoil it, but even though it's brief, it is fun, and I hope foreshadows some future involvement.