PDA

View Full Version : Making Characters Out of Songs

JBPuffin
2016-07-15, 09:14 PM
So I love music - a lot - especially songs that have fantastical imagery. Thinking on this, I decided to throw up a thread here, sort of a game but not really, for people to post lyrics and either along with RPG characters tied to them, or by themselves for other people to do so.

With that, I'll start with some I'm listening to right now (characters rooted in 5e DnD mechanics):

I linger in the doorway
Of alarm clock screaming
Monsters calling my name
Let me stay
Where the wind will whisper to me
Where the raindrops, as they’re falling, tell a story

[Chorus:]
In my field of paper flowers
And candy clouds of lullaby (flowers)
I lie inside myself for hours
And watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers)

Don’t say I’m out of touch
With this rampant chaos - your reality
I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge
The nightmare I built my own world to escape

[Chorus]

Swallowed up in the sound of my screaming
Cannot cease for the fear of silent nights
Oh, how I long for the deep sleep dreaming
The goddess of imaginary light

Character: an illusionist who falls into her own illusions. I'm seeing a high-Charisma, low-average everything else, who's almost always half-asleep, shambling around with a harp or something along those lines and bringing her dreams out into reality for all to share. Gnome seems fitting, but class could be just about anything Charisma based.

Images of everyone of what you see just illusions of
What we were meant to become
Awakened fire of the Son inside

Everything within me cries out
The phoenix is rising
My heart overflows
Everything within has burned out the fire is rising
New life has begun

And I'll never forget just who You are
Cut Your name inside of my heart
Touching the flame right where You are
Can you feel the phoenix rising?

Instances of what we've done
That walk to our destination
Of what we know we'll become Awakened fire of the Son

Character: Fire-elemental-based cleric or sorcerer, brings a lot of heat into a fight and is always talking about his devotion to (some sort of phoenix deity :/).

Sundown it's time to feed it
Your demons come to life
You try but can't defeat them
It's over say goodnight
I see you shiver
We're running out of time
It's now or never
I'm reaching for the knife

And I see a new day rising
As we divide

Separate my soul
Watch as you expose
All this violence
Out of control
Cancer in my bones
You wont let me go
So it's you I sever

Wake up the moon is rising
You feel the other side
Tonight you face the dying
There's nowhere left to hide
The taste so bitter
But it will wash away
I will deliver
The sickness to the grave

And I see a new day rising
As we divide

Separate my soul
Watch as you expose
All this violence
Out of control
Cancer in my bones
You wont let me go
So it's you I sever

I cut the ties
I've been betrayed
My flesh and soul are still at war

I shed the skin underneath
I feel the light
Set me free

Separate my soul
Watch as you expose
All this violence
Out of control
Cancer in my bones
You wont let me go
So it's you I sever

I see a new day rising
All this violence
Out of control
So it's you I sever

I see a new day rising
All this violence
It's you I sever

Character: Someone with a sword, an addiction or some other parasitic behavior/relationship, and an axe to grind. Favorite idea is a Tiefling Paladin of Vengeance who's going to Hell to cut his ties to his devilish heritage and the unholy urges left by a childhood possession that never truly fell away...

So, those are a couple samples. Let's have some fun with this, alrighty? :smallbiggrin:

(And if anyone feels this should be moved to another forum place, point it out please :smallsmile:).

MintyNinja
2016-07-21, 02:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of music, but I've done this before.

This is the Shield Master Barbarian Gladiator who's been in the Arena so long that the civilized world just doesn't fit him anymore.

This is the Lich and his Lover, as their love in life spurs him forever forward in bringing her back from the dead, no matter what atrocity he needs to commit. But as we all know, the ghosts of those gone by are just shadows of their former selves and together they burn each other out.

dysike
2016-07-21, 03:08 PM
The song Rain King makes me feel like there's a character to be made there but I can't quite figure out the details.

When I think of Heaven, deliver me in a black-winged bird
I think of dying, lay me down in a field of flame and heather
Render up my body into the burning heart of God
In the belly of a black-winged bird

Don't try to bleed me
'Cause I've been here before
And I deserve a little more

And I belong in the service of the queen
And I belong anywhere but in between
She's been dying and I've been drinking
And I am the rain king

goto124
2016-07-21, 09:09 PM
When I heard 'Boom Clap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1f0Sb7v70), my mind went about as far from the actual meaning as one could get.

For one thing, I heard it as 'Boom Crash'. I immediately went on to picture an armored warrior, holding a giant rocket hammer in her hands to fight through a horde of monsters - orcs, demons, zombies, you name it. Every shot of her rocket made a booming sound, while every swing of her hammer made a loud crash. Thus the boom crash that was heard throughout the song.

As the warrior sung come out to me now, I imagined she was calling out to her patron Goddess of the Sun, who helped to look after the City of the Sun. The warrior was an elite guard in that city, working alongside her goddess. Her 'first kiss' was her goddess granting her divine powers to protect the city.

Due to divine politics, the city was destroyed in spite of the warrior's best efforts, and the goddess sealed into the ground by other gods. Determined to get back what was hers, the warrior sought out her goddess, who turned out to be protected by hordes of monsters. She plowed through the monsters with her gunhammer, to get to and release her goddess. All while singing praises:

You are the light and I will follow
You let me lose my shadow
You are the sun, the glowing halo
And you keep burning me up with all your love

When she finished chanting, she would activate her divine powers, manifesting themselves as a fire surrounding her body and gunhammer. With her combat abilities improved, she fought even harder to get through the monsters standing in the way of her goddess. All while singing to keep her heart and spirit high, and to do the same for her goddess. To rise out of the ashes, and to rebuild their city. To get back their former glory.

And then I found out the real meaning of the song...

RickAllison
2016-07-21, 09:45 PM
I'm going to get crap for this...

I took a look into Hell,
Saw things too crazy to tell,
Now I'm not feeling too well,
Cthulhu's by my side.

I trade my soul for control,
Mind crushing for R'lyeh's throne,
Power that I've never known,
But now you're by my side.

Our eyes were holding,
Enthrallment was going,
Your free will was blowing,
Now you are my slave glorified!

Hey, I just met you,
And I am insane,
I will wipe your mind,
And re-make your brain.
It's hard to see what
Has drove me crazy,
But Cthulhu's here now,
This world's his domain!

GooLocks are pretty messed up :smallbiggrin:

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-07-22, 09:19 AM
Definitely a Warlock

Mr. Crowley, what went on in your head?
Oh, Mr. Crowley, did you talk with the dead?
Your life style to me seemed so tragic
With the thrill of it all
You fooled all the people with magic
Yeah, you waited on Satan's door

Mr. Charming, did you think you were pure?
Mr. Alarming, in nocturnal rapport
Uncovering things that were sacred
Manifest on this Earth
Conceived in the eye of a secret
And they scattered the afterbirth

Mr. Crowley, won't you ride my white horse?
Mr. Crowley, it's symbolic, of course
Approaching a time that is classic
I hear that maiden's call
Approaching a time that is drastic
Standing with their backs to the wall

Was it polemically sent
l want to know what you meant
I want to know, I want to know what you meant, yeah

Geddy2112
2016-07-22, 09:29 AM
Oh gosh, half of my character concepts are based on musicians and their music. As far as one just based on a song,

"The Dancing Queen"
A humble half orc paladin bard who uses a large metal tambourine as a shield, and the cymbals as spikes. Young and sweet, only 17. She makes evil feel the beat from the "tambourine".

Based on the song Dancing Queen by Abba.

Thrudd
2016-07-24, 10:29 AM
"Battery" and "Damage Inc" from Master of Puppets by Metallica inspired a Werewolf: the Apocalypse character that had an irresponsible rage to willpower ratio.

RyumaruMG
2016-07-24, 04:55 PM
Not a PC, but I once had a villain based on Avenged Sevenfold's "Hail to the King." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ffmunRjjI)

He was basically a guy who conquered a valley and made people worship him as a god-king. The worship empowered his manse, which made the valley fertile and warm in contrast to the frozen tundra around. Anyone who didn't worship him got kicked out into the icy wilderness. "Kneel to the king, stand in the sun," and all that.

sktarq
2016-07-26, 09:17 PM
Hmmm I'm gonna go stream of consciousness for this one. Mortal World of Darkness Game. . .

A mild early villain.

Uses the name Jim, big guy like around 6'4" with respect from the locals (the men just call him "sir") at least the bad folks and a hit with the ladies.....need something cute for that "Tree top lover" has the right ring to it. Built like King Kong. He should seem unassailable in his leadership like taking him on would just as stupid as could be-like spitting into the wind. He needs a home and icon feel. . . The South Side of Chicago Pool Halls lets say around 42nd St. The near respectable thug to compare to Uptown Husslers and Bowrie's Bums. He needs a ride. . . A Continental? An El Dorado? a Caddie. . . but some thing more? a fancy colour? hydraulics? got it! a convertible, a drop top. Give him a two piece custom pool cue for that threatening case an aura of exclusivity-wears a diamond ring that he likes to show off. a Girl? Maybe a Doris? Nah No No Doris. Do I like the name Jim? Do I want to go earthy? Like Brown? What works with Brown? Lee Brown? Sounds like a General but close Leroy Brown? Naw stick with Jim. This is a guy who likes to fight for fun and gets dirty. So a small gun - like a 32 in his pocket for things get "fun" but a dirty backup. Like a strait razor backup down in his shoe. So what is his strength...well how about being big and strong (human max) but not too bright (a dump stat). And mean - junkyard dog mean in a fight. Sounds like someone you shouldn't provoke - set up the story so he looks like superman and the PC/PC's are going to tug on his cape. Yeah that's Big Jim. That's the open challenge I want in the game You don't mess around with Jim

That just makes me want to get a PC to set against him. . . well lets set a DMPC for a test run at least.

The PC - we need an outsider type "rube" . . . . like as far from Chicago as we can get. Good ol'boy maybe. . Like from Alabama, no SOUTH Alabama. Hick name hick name Willie McCoy. Need High contrast. Make him skinny and fast. . . but fit. So slim like a knife, and brave enough to pull the mask off the Lone Ranger. Fast and mean with the knife for the death by a hundred cuts. . . and a gun for backup. Switch it round. Got it! Doris is the PC's wife.

Âmesang
2016-07-27, 01:24 AM
I've not yet been inspired to create a character based on a song… but I have contemplated creating an adventure module based on "Hotel California."

…or would that just be too cliché? :smalltongue:

On a somewhat similar note I watched the first two reboot Star Treks prior to seeing the third film, and while wondering why Vulcans thought it was logical to base their hairstyle on Moe Howard I was reminded of various silly names the Stooges would have for certain secondary characters (as well as one the board member's characters, "Robin Banks") so the name "Ichabod Mortimer Aloysius Swindler" for a thief character came to mind.

EDIT: I suppose I could toss in some accents and umlauts and what not in order to give the surname a less obvious pronunciation; something like "ˈSvaɪnd.lə(ɹ)," at the very least?

Slay33
2016-07-28, 09:34 PM
Listen to some Avenged Sevenfold.

That should give you some motivation to make some characters.

MrConsideration
2016-07-29, 07:36 AM
Loads of songs by the Decemberists would make an excellent background or character concept, especially this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CR1IJKMPo) or for a villainous background, little beats this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1Aj7EYDog).

For a sympathetic villain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2kJYwFoZGE).

That is, if your campaigns have ample room for baroque tragedy.

illyahr
2016-07-29, 04:00 PM
Made a merfolk paladin based off the song Holy Diver.

Thinking of making a metal band out of half-orc bards and them dressing as: War on drums, Famine on guitar, Pestilence on Bass, and Death on vocals. They are named 4 Orc-Men of the Apocalypse.

DRD1812
2016-07-29, 04:19 PM
My group does this, but in reverse. We'll make a mix CD after the campaign wraps. Every PC gets a song. There are also songs for 3-4 of the biggest NPCs, as well as a campaign overture.

But as for your question, gunslinger with paladin levels: youtube.com/watch?v=IStlBOX9F4o

Dravda
2016-08-17, 08:00 PM
DRD1812: That is a brilliant idea. I'm going to need to start doing that.

For my own contribution, I humbly offer this remix (https://soundcloud.com/roetaka/dark-souls-ii-kodoku) of Sir Alonne's theme from Dark Souls II (instrumental). For a samurai character (obviously).

Disturbed's cover of "The Sound of Silence." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4) A barbarian or savage bard is what I see when I hear this song. I love the intensity here.

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-5_-svPiWU) by The Offspring. Not quite my usual genre, but this one really speaks to me. An assassin or clever spellcaster, one who excels in letting other people do their work for them.

Dr paradox
2016-08-22, 02:37 PM
I want to make a Ranger based on "Horse with No Name,"

Sort of a hippy desert guy who deliberately dehydrates himself to get visions.

Winter_Wolf
2016-08-22, 02:47 PM
Making a villain based on Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Tinkertrain". Juxtaposed with his sidekick/lieutenant based on "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)".

Tinkertrain is a monster through and through; I'd neither expect nor approve of sympathy for him. If/when he meets his terrible fate, there's no moral grey area; ridding the world of him is a service to everyone.

Pretty Fly is just an massive bumbling, oblivious tryhard. Wouldn't wxpect much sympathy for him either, but pity would be a probable emotion.

kyoryu
2016-08-22, 05:16 PM
Definitely a Warlock

Mr. Crowley, what went on in your head?
Oh, Mr. Crowley, did you talk with the dead?
Your life style to me seemed so tragic
With the thrill of it all
You fooled all the people with magic
Yeah, you waited on Satan's door

Mr. Charming, did you think you were pure?
Mr. Alarming, in nocturnal rapport
Uncovering things that were sacred
Manifest on this Earth
Conceived in the eye of a secret
And they scattered the afterbirth

Mr. Crowley, won't you ride my white horse?
Mr. Crowley, it's symbolic, of course
Approaching a time that is classic
I hear that maiden's call
Approaching a time that is drastic
Standing with their backs to the wall

Was it polemically sent
l want to know what you meant
I want to know, I want to know what you meant, yeah

That's easy mode. I mean, just look up "Aleister Crowley" and convert him to your System of Choice.

HerbertWest
2016-08-22, 09:52 PM
The song Rain King makes me feel like there's a character to be made there but I can't quite figure out the details.

When I think of Heaven, deliver me in a black-winged bird
I think of dying, lay me down in a field of flame and heather
Render up my body into the burning heart of God
In the belly of a black-winged bird

Don't try to bleed me
'Cause I've been here before
And I deserve a little more

And I belong in the service of the queen
And I belong anywhere but in between
She's been dying and I've been drinking
And I am the rain king

This gives me an idea for a Cleric or Paladin of Pelor with levels in the Knight of the Raven PrC from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. The character has done something to be exiled from their former master, "the Queen," and has fallen into alcoholism.

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-08-23, 07:44 AM
That's easy mode. I mean, just look up "Aleister Crowley" and convert him to your System of Choice.

Because that is exactly who the song is about, which I guess is your point.

Anyways, yet another Warlock/Necromancer

Nattfödd

Svartkonst och magiska krafter.
I natt jag tar den som en tid var min.

Jag suger livet ut.
Blåsa till urgammal asken...
...urgammal asken!

Jag är världens mörkret.
Jag är det dödande vattnet.
Jag är livets blod.
Du ska bli pinad för dina brott.

För dina brott!

Sargad för dina synder.
Dina synder mot oss alla.
Du ska bli tukt
ad för att vi skulle helas.
Dina sår skall giva oss bot...
giva oss äntligen bot.

Jag längtar efter ett slut.
Men vet ej hur det ska ske.
Dags har kommit egentligen.

Jag är världens mörkret.
Jag är det dödande vattnet.
Jag är livets blod.
Du ska bli pinad för dina brott.

[English translation:]

Nightborn

Witchery and magic forces
Tonight I take the one that was once mine

I suck the life out
Blow it to ancient ash.
...ancient ash!

I am the world's darkness
I am the killing waters
I am the life blood
You will suffer for your crimes

For your crimes!

Wracked for your sins
Yours sins against us all
You will be chastised
For us to heal
Your sores will gives us solace
Finally solace

I yearn for an end
But don't know how
The time has finally come

I am the world's darkness
I am the killing waters
I am the life blood
You will suffer for your crimes

Telonius
2016-08-23, 08:23 AM
I used "Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19308582&postcount=40) Villainous Competition entry (D&D 3.5).

Not a character, but a set of artifacts I made for a campaign: the Bell, Book, and Candle. The Bell was a sonic weapon that gave a continuous Freedom of Movement aura. The Book held the spirit of a Cleric of Lastai (and dispensed relationship advice). The Candle was dual-formed item, made by a Cleric of St Cuthbert. In Candle form, it gave off a bunch of Light based powers. In weapon form, it was a Holy Avenger Plus, except shaped as a Warhammer. (Using the three together would banish all devils in a thousand mile radius). The players never did get the reference...

If I Had a Hammer, by Peter Paul and Mary

If I had a hammer,
I'd hammer in the morning,
I'd hammer in the evening,
All over this land,
I'd hammer out danger,
I'd hammer out a warning,
I'd hammer out love between,
My brothers and my sisters,
All over this land.

If I had a bell,
I'd ring it in the morning,
I'd ring it in the evening,
All over this land,
I'd ring out danger,
I'd ring out a warning,
I'd ring out love between,
My brothers and my sisters,
All over this land.

If I had a song
I'd sing it in the morning
I'd sing it in the evening
all over this land
I'd sing out danger
I'd sing out a warning
I'd sing out love between
my brothers and my sisters
all over this land

Well, I've got a hammer
and I've got a bell
and I've got a song to sing
all over this land
It's the hammer of justice
It's the bell of freedom
It's a song about love between my
brothers and my sisters
all over this land

The Fury
2016-08-26, 10:40 PM
I'd like to make a character in a modern campaign setting inspired by this B-52s song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eosr33Arock). An astrophysicist named Claire. She'd drive a Plymouth Satellite, obviously. Though it probably can't break the light barrier.

JAL_1138
2016-08-31, 11:04 AM
The Offspring, "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid."

Works for any bard or high-CHA scoundrel, really, but for a specific character concept (in this case a BBEG or mid-card villain), a bard (or other "Diplomancer" scoundrel) mentored by another similarly-dodgy sort of character in the arts of deception, intrigue, swaying the crowd's or the public's opinion to destroy people without even lifting a finger personally. Except, at some point, they go off the deep end. They've insinuated themselves into a militarized religious organization (without actually being motivated by faith) and advise the priests, working behind the scenes, slowly shaping it to operate like the old Omnian Quisition; eventually they take an open leadership role and present a public face as a holy, righteous figure whose actions are necessary to root out corruption and evil. (Essentially what you'd get if you crossed Reacher Gilt with Vorbis, in Discworld terms.) Their enemies are branded heretics and criminals, and they can start a lynchmob with a single proclamation. Now they're going after their old mentor, and the song is from the mentor's perspective.

Show me how to lie
You’re getting better all the time
And turning all against the one
Is an art that’s hard to teach
Another clever word
Sets off an unsuspecting herd
And as you step back into line
A mob jumps to their feet

Now dance, f@#%er, dance!
Man, he never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you

And now you steal away
Take him out today
Nice work you did
You’re gonna go far, kid

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
Hit ‘em right between the eyes
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
See the lightning in your eyes
See ‘em running for their lives

Slowly out of line
And drifting closer in your sights
So play it out I’m wide awake
It’s a scene about me
There’s something in your way
And now someone is gonna pay
And if you can’t get what you want
Well it’s all because of me

Man, I never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you

And now you’ll lead the way
Show the light of day
Nice work you did
You’re gonna go far, kid
(Trust, deceived!)

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say

He never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you

So dance, f@#%er, dance!
I never had a chance
It was really only you

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say

Clever alibis
Lord of the flies
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
See ‘em running for their lives!

EDIT: And an obvious one, "Battle Hymn of the Republic" for any sort of holy warrior, particularly a zealot-like one.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.

Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps,
They have built to Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps:
His day is marching on.

His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal";
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
Since God is marching on.

Since God is marching on.

He hath sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! Be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

Our God is marching on.

Bonus points for bellowing it at the top of your lungs when you wade into the fray a-smitin'.

tombowings
2016-08-31, 02:24 PM
I had a 4e warlord based off the Coldplay song Viva la Vida. He had been a terrible, tyrannic warlord, disposed shortly before the campaign commenced, and everything in the kingdom wanted his head for one reason or another, so he had to disguise himself as a beggar in order to avoid justice for his crimes. At least until his redemption arch was under way.

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you're gone there was never
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

Yael
2016-08-31, 02:26 PM
Illusionist or bard throwing color spray everywhere, and using prestidigitation to change colors on everything.

Yes, even that.