PDA

View Full Version : The Conclave of the Pale

Geckus
2016-07-15, 10:12 PM
The Conclave of the Pale
The Clan Holds, Western Aladar

At the tail end of a long, open valley between twin arms of the Blackspire Peaks lies the Clan House, a monolithic stone structure carved directly into the face of the mountains, most easily be reached by first passing through the bustling city of New Aladar at the mouth of the valley, then following the carefully maintained cobbled road which leads to its doors, a road whose every mile is marked by a red and white stone gate with towers emblazoned with the Wheel of the Clans and topped with the Arch and Veil that represents the House of the Pale Lady. On either side of the road, scattered grouping of Clan wagons can be seen, where drimma wanderers tend to their animals and upkeep between their long journeys across the Holds and beyond.

The House itself is a monolithic stone structure, it’s great open archway and pillared façade carved directly into the red stone of the mountain face. No gate or doors bar entry to the House, indeed few can be found anywhere within, with the exception of those guarding access to those wings of the House given over to foreign ambassadors. Past the open courtyard behind the archway, the interior is built on the same grand scale, with ceilings twenty feet high and corridors where five men can walk abreast, but in typical drimma fashion is largely ornamented, impressing not with gilt or gaudy display, but with the incredible craftsmanship that has been put into every facet of its creation – floors are perfectly level and fitted with interlocking tiles easily replaced when damaged, tables and chairs are carved to draw out the natural beauty of the wood grain, etc… Traffic through the House is constant, as men and drimma go about the business of running the expansive Clan Holds, meeting with foreign and domestic dignitaries, and carting supplies to and from the under-city of Klan'derzhat.

As each of the Lords Paramount and the Veiled Lady arrive at New Aladar, they find an honor guard culled from the best of the Aladarian First Legion waiting to meet them and ensure that the road is cleared for their procession. At the Clan House, the hustle and bustle comes to a near halt as the courtyard is cleared and they are met by a Senior Architect, who offers a deep bow of respect to each.

“Your Lordship/Great Lady, the Master Architect bids you welcome to the Clan House; quarters have been prepared for you and your retinue, should you wish to refresh yourself from your journey. The Dei Empyrius intends to begin the Conclave upon the morrow, to ensure that all are present and rested, but the Lord Paramount is always available to his honored fellows should you wish to meet with him.”

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/Geckus/The-Monastery-Petra-3.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Geckus/media/The-Monastery-Petra-3.jpg.html)

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/Geckus/red_gate_moscow_hi.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Geckus/media/red_gate_moscow_hi.jpg.html)

Upon the morrow:

The Conclave itself is held in a great hall reached via a grand spiral staircase that rises over eighty feet in height – a landing and alcove halfway up provides a convenient resting point for those unused to such climbing, as well as raised litters and bearers for those who might need them. The hall is built on the same scale as everything else in the House, but is clearly intended for small, formal gatherings; a single round table dominates the center of the room, with five chairs (thrones perhaps being a more appropriate designation, as each is topped with a golden crest in the shape of each Lord and Lady’s symbol of office) spaced evenly around it. The wall opposite the doorway is an open balcony looking over the valley below. A pair of servants stand near to each seat, ready to see to any need.

Pieto is there to greet each of the Lords and Lady upon their arrival; a powerfully built, grim faced, black-haired drimma, he bears the scars of many battles upon his flesh, including a vicious looking series which clearly resulted in the loss of his left eye. The remaining eye is dark blue, and no less intimidating than the steel orb which has been fitted in place of the missing eye. He wears a long white tunic covered in geometric patterns stitched in gold thread, with a mantle of Hortisian fur covering his broad shoulders, and the heavy gold crown of the Dei Empyrius rests easily on his head. He waits for the Veiled Lady to be seated before sitting himself and calls the Conclave to order.

“My Brothers in Empire, Honored Lady, We thank you for traveling so far at our request. As you are all aware, the Empyrium has grown by leaps and bounds since the days of its founding, becoming one of Arandi’s great powers and the defender of a faithful flock whose numbers have grown beyond counting. But these deeds have not come without struggle, without challenge. The first of these great struggles came with the loss of King Sharpclaw and the collapse of Hortis, a grave blow in the early days of the Empyrium, but one that was met by the Grand Princess of Anceris, Alessandra de Altan. In finding her faith and accepting the duty of Lord Paramount of the South, she met the challenge set before her and the Empyrium only grew stronger as a result. We face another great challenge today, one which I hope we will find the faith and wisdom to face as aptly. Unrest and outright rebellion have spread through much of the north, and We have come to fear for the safety and sanctity of the Lady’s House. Ehv'amhyr an Khuuldrumm was an admirable war leader, and instrumental to the formation of our great Empyrium, but proved unequal to the challenge of governing the realm he created. Ehv'amhyr an Duulah has since shown himself to be a true son of the north, stepping in to try and stem the tide of chaos left by his predecessor’s difficulties. But We believe those difficulties to be beyond the abilities of one man to repair, and so as Dei Empyrius must make a most painful request of the Lord Paramount of the North – to share the burden of meeting this challenge, for the sake of the realm and its people. What say you, Ehv'amhyr an Duulah?”

QuintonBeck
2016-07-16, 11:56 AM
Ehv'amhyr an Duulah was a pale giant, made even more so by the attending Drimma of Pieto's kingdom. Nearly seven feet tall Duulah was the pale shadow of a skeleton for he was not brawny as Khuuldrumm had been. His midnight hair was pulled back to rest beneath the Thaumium crown his predecessor had commissioned in the early days before the Empyrium. Despite five years of reign alongside the other Lords Paramount Duulah knew for the first time they were questioning his worthiness to stand among them. The rebellions started under Duulah were still unquenchable by Aardrosil's new king. The great northern power had shrunk and still shook and quaked with its retained size. Cahoosa and Clan armies had moved into former Aardrosil territory to secure it from those who rose against the Lord Paramount of the North.

All eyes turned to Duulah as the Dei Empyrus addressed him. Slowly he stood and his height made itself fully apparent as he towered there. It was time to show the others he was worthy of their title as peer.

"As you say Dei Empyrus, the great expanse of the north was brought together by Mighty Khuuldrumm's blade but that blade was incapable of retaining what it earned. Five years ago I led a coalition of Aardrosil's Great Houses to uncrown Mighty Khuuldrumm from all authority and replaced him with myself. In this way I was a rebel against my king. I feared rejection by the other Lords Paramount but it soon became clear they shared our fears and recognized our actions as necessary."

"It is an easy thing to seize power. To hold it is more challenging. Mighty Khuuldrumm and I share a history of seizing power and I believe I now face the challenge Mighty Khuuldrumm faced in holding it. I am not the warrior Mighty Khuuldrumm was. I do not have the fear or respect of the people brought to heel by Khuuldumm's might. I cannot cow these people or make them see me as they saw the man they were willing to recognize as their better. But I do not need to. Where Khuuldrumm would have surely forced these rebels who rose against him to their deaths and reasserted his dominance in the lands which spawned them I do not have the will or desire to see blood shed between the Lady's faithful."

"Furthermore I have met these other men, "rebels" as they might have been labeled by Khuuldrumm. These men who were taken in by our own Dei Empyrus and whom I met with at the Dei Empyrus' request one year ago. These are not callous selfish men. These are not petty robber barons or would be tyrants who took advantage of Khuuldrumm, these are honorable men who fought not against Aardrosil or the Empyrium but for their people and their needs. What I have learned in these years as Lord Paramount of the North is that sometimes, to hold onto something means to let it go. And so, to hold the north together I recognize that the Kingdom of Aardrosil must let go to other worthy leaders of the north."

Duulah paused to allow the Dei Empyrus introductions of the men from Walnoth and Amaranth.

Elemental
2016-07-16, 02:07 PM
The journey from Azandria to Western Aladar was a surprisingly short one and Spiridon was surprised he had not made it before despite have spent much time in Hortis. Still, this meeting was historic and required his personal attendance. Never before had all four Lords Paramount met beneath one roof for anything less than an Empyreal coronation. Truthfully he believed that the Veiled Lady and the Empyrus could resolve any matter without his immediate input, but to skip the meeting would be disrespectful to his peers. He wore a pristine white robe and a cape of fine golden sea silk. Around his neck he wore an amulet of rubies and pearls and atop his head was the bejewelled crown of Anceris. His long brown hair was streaked with white, but he looked a man of forty-five, a full ten years younger than his true age. He listened intently to the conversation at hand, waiting patiently for the input of his fellow Lords Paramount before speaking.

Geckus
2016-07-17, 08:02 PM
After a curt nod from Pieto, one of the attending servants crosses the room to open a cunningly concealed door on the north wall, briefly revealing what appears to be a well-appointed study or lounge beyond; from that room two men enter the grand hall and approach the Dei Empyrius. The first is relatively short, with a pale complexion and curly dark hair, sporting a neatly trimmed goatee and dressed in fine clothing in colors of black and silver, his demeanor and bearing respectful, but that of one used to the halls of power and unawed by the company into which he is being brought. The second man is quite large, not a match for the giant an Duulah, but tall and broad in the shoulder, well-muscled and with the scarred hands of a warrior, his clothing of simpler cut and colored in earthen hues; his stance is far more rigid and formal, that of a military man in the presence of a superior officer.

“To my fellow Lords Paramount, allow me to introduce those that have been selected to aid us in restoring peace and order to our domain; Lord Edmun Blackblade of Arakhal, and Commander Samwell Lightfoot of Wallnoth. As our noble friend Ehv'amhyr an Duulah has already stated, these men took up arms to defend the welfare of their people as a final resort, despite the risk of being labelled traitor or rebel. For two years, my Architects investigated their background and character, and all accounts have shown that these men are devout followers of the Lady and acted only out of concern for the well-being of those who looked to them for leadership and protection. For two more years, they have served under my auspice, and been tested by both my Clan elders and the priestesses of the Lady for those traits we deem necessary for the proper governance of our realm, and they have been found fit for the duty. Thus by our Writ, We name them Count Edmun Blackblade, Lord of Arakhal, and Margrave of the Pale Reach, and Baron Samwell Lightfoot, Lord of Wallnoth and Phoenixcrest, henceforth to be the Barony of North Hold.”

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/Geckus/Lightfoot.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Geckus/media/Lightfoot.jpg.html)

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/Geckus/14-Blackadder.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Geckus/media/14-Blackadder.jpg.html)