PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PoW tutorial one-shot - what pregens?

JusticeZero
2016-07-16, 12:42 AM
I finally roped some gamers into playing a one shot so I can teach my better half how to game.
Because my partner does not feel comfortable learning how to do something like this if surrounded by people who are comfortable with the system, I am going to do this in two steps - a one on one tutorial of the very basics of the system, then a one shot in Pathfinder (the group does 3.5 or 3.0), using exclusively human Path of War classes. This helps by making the other players less familiar with the characters and system. Group size is 3-5, most likely 4.

I am probably going to use the adventure "Master of the Fallen Fortress", since it seems short and basic - a small dungeon crawl - and is a level 1 adventure. It's unclear if MotFF expects all six of its pregens to be run at once, or if it runs okay with a smaller group.
I haven't actually managed to get anybody to play PoW classes, so I am a lot less familiar with how a group runs with those classes.

What builds would someone more experienced with the systems in question recommend for the pregen party, and why?

Tuvarkz
2016-07-16, 05:45 AM
I finally roped some gamers into playing a one shot so I can teach my better half how to game.
Because my partner does not feel comfortable learning how to do something like this if surrounded by people who are comfortable with the system, I am going to do this in two steps - a one on one tutorial of the very basics of the system, then a one shot in Pathfinder (the group does 3.5 or 3.0), using exclusively human Path of War classes. This helps by making the other players less familiar with the characters and system. Group size is 3-5, most likely 4.

I am probably going to use the adventure "Master of the Fallen Fortress", since it seems short and basic - a small dungeon crawl - and is a level 1 adventure. It's unclear if MotFF expects all six of its pregens to be run at once, or if it runs okay with a smaller group.
I haven't actually managed to get anybody to play PoW classes, so I am a lot less familiar with how a group runs with those classes.

What builds would someone more experienced with the systems in question recommend for the pregen party, and why?

Are you using only Path of War, or Expanded content as well (Also, is psionics being allowed)? you taking the heroic array or going for 20 pb for the chargen?

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-16, 03:14 PM
If Path of War: Expanded is available to you, I would recommend taking a look at the Archetypes for Non-Initiating Classes section. The archetypes there are a bit easier to work with for people used to the more standard 3.0 and 3.5 classes, and they have a slower maneuver progression that won't be quite as overwhelming for new players.

PoW base classes come pretty stacked with (very nice) class features, and it can look a little overwhelming at first blush, so unless your players are familiar with the game already they can be tough to get into.

The one thing PoW is currently lacking is dedicated healing, this can be mitigated somewhat with the use of the Silver Crane discipline, but until you get to higher levels it's not worth much more than off healing. If you have a more experienced player in the group, suggesting the Warpath Follower Class Template (PoW:E) for either the Warpriest or Inquisitor will help shore up that missing healing, as they retain access to the divine spellcasting that usually includes the necessary healing spells.

If you can provide more detailed information on what character creation rules you're looking to use for these characters, I can probably throw together a few pregens this week.

JusticeZero
2016-07-17, 12:55 AM
Trying to stick to pretty much just PoW, trying to go with easier to use stuff. Medic playtest is available. I have easy access to the stuff on the SRD, and that's what I ask people to use, and I have what looks like some playtest versions of the other classes - I can't justify purchasing books until I have people who will actually play the material in it after all. :p One of the players rages about "having to learn a new system", but I don't see her coughing up money for replacement 3.5 books for me to deconvert things.

I might use something easier to run for my one inexperienced player, but part of the reason for running it this way is to have everybody needing to figure out new systems, and I want them to be using similar systems so that the questions and answers apply to all the players at different skill levels.

hp are 6+((median+0.5)(level)), stats are three pairs of X+Y=25 [min 7 max 18, before the racial +2], all human. Slings and crossbows and probably other missile weapons if I think of any reload like bows. I'm happy to hand the group a CLW wand or equivalent as group property at the start as a gimme. I'm trying not to add too many extra sets of rules right now, and if there was a simplified PF core ruleset I knew of, I would look into it. It's a one-shot, so I don't need to worry about perfection. I normally use archetypes and talents, but I don't want to make things more confusing right now.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-17, 05:33 AM
Last question, what about traits? (Also, kind of busy atm, so should be able to give complete builds on monday afternoon/tuesday afternoon)
But for general ability score lineup:
Warlord
15 STR (+2) 10 DEX 13 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 15 CHA
Warder
18 STR 10 DEX 15 CON 15 INT (+2) 10 WIS 7 CHA
Stalker (Archer)
10 STR 18 DEX 15 CON 10 INT 15 WIS (+2) 7 CHA
Medic-Same as the archer
This is one wierd character attribute buyup though, and doesn't go that well with PoW characters.

JusticeZero
2016-07-17, 08:15 PM
Two traits.
Yea, I know it's a bit strange, but it's easy to check, and I don't have to deal with disagreements between SAD-person and tight-distribution-person.

Snowbluff
2016-07-18, 01:33 AM
The archetypes there are a bit easier to work with for people used to the more standard 3.0 and 3.5 classes, and they have a slower maneuver progression that won't be quite as overwhelming for new players.

Which is kind of a silly thing to say. Casting might as well be the rule and not the exception in 3rd edition. Out of the 10 base classes in the PHB, only 4 have no casting.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 06:45 AM
Alright, quickly (These are level 1 builds, not made planning around 1-7, 1-12, or 1-20)

Human Warlord 1
17 STR 10 DEX 13 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 15 CHA
Traits: Fate's Favored (Faith), Ancestral Weapon (Cold Iron Nodachi)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Discipline Focus (Scarlet Throne), Power Attack
Skill ranks: 1 rank on Acrobatics, Diplomacy, Perception, Sense Motive, Survival, Swim (+1 rank of Climb (FCB))
Gambits: Choose two from Brave, Victory, or Unbreakable
Stance: Running Hunter's Stance
Maneuvers: Encouraging Roar, Hunting Party, Scything Strike, Blade of Breaking, Panthera on the Hunt, Primal Wrath
Gear: Mwk Cold Iron Nodachi, Studded Leather Armor, Fighter's Kit, Ioun Torch

Human Warder 1
18 STR 10 DEX 15 CON 17 INT 10 WIS 7 CHA
Traits: Clever Wordplay (Social), Eyes and Ears of the City (Religion-Abadar)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Discipline Focus (Iron Tortoise), Combat Reflexes (Int)
Skill ranks: 1 rank on Acrobatics, Climb, Diplomacy, K:History, Perception, Sense Motive, Survival, Swim (+1 rank of K:Nobility (FCB))
Stance: Stance of the Defending Shell
Maneuvers: Angering Smash, Iron Shell, Panthera on the Hunt, Encouraging Roar, Hunting Party
Gear: Longsword, Heavy Wooden Shield, Chain Shirt, Fighter's Kit

((You mentioned Crossbows reloading like bows so we going with one))
Human Stalker 1
10 STR 18 DEX 15 CON 10 INT 17 WIS 7 CHA
Traits: Cunning Liar (Regional-Wis to Bluff), Reactionary (Combat)
Feats: Point-Blank Shot, Discipline Focus (Solar Wind), Precise Shot (Combat Art)
Stalker Art: Combat Art>Precise Shot
Skill ranks: 1 rank on Acrobatics, Bluff, Disable Device, K:Local, K: Religion, Perception, Stealth (+1 rank of Heal (FCB))
Stance: Stance of Piercing Rays
Maneuvers: Leaping Dragon, Inner Sense, Horizon Wind Lancet, Solar Sting, Steady Hand, Hunting Serpent Blow, Sting of the Rattler
Gear: Heavy Crossbow+Bolts, Hide Armor, Fighter's Kit, Common Thieves' Tools (If needed to not pass light load, have the warder and the warlord split the load of the fighter's kit)

Human Medic 1 (This one will be the one using a Martial Tradition, just to get Silver Crane in place of Broken Blade. I've also prioritized it being hard to kill, since the medic can heal the rest of the group)
18 STR 10 DEX 15 CON 10 INT 17 WIS 7 CHA
Traits: Ancestral Weapon (Cold Iron Earthbreaker), Reactionary (Combat)
Feats: Toughness, Discipline Focus (Silver Crane)
Skill ranks: Acrobatics, Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Perception, Sense Motive (+1 HP)
Medic's Expertise: Invigorating Touch, Martial Healer
Stance: Silver Crane Waltz
Maneuvers: Crane Step, Enduring Crane Strike, Silver Strike, Encouraging Roar, Hunting Party
Gear: Mwk Cold Iron Earthbreaker, Studded Leather Armor, Fighter's Kit, Healer's Kit

Alright, that's all the builds.

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-18, 07:28 AM
Which is kind of a silly thing to say. Casting might as well be the rule and not the exception in 3rd edition. Out of the 10 base classes in the PHB, only 4 have no casting.

I don't really follow how what you quoted from me has anything to do with what I said.

--Tuvarkz's Builds--

These are honestly pretty close to what I would have suggested. I'll see if I can't come up with some alternatives, although passing on archetypes will make it a little trickier.

JusticeZero
2016-07-22, 01:40 PM
Any suggestions for a fifth, if I get five players?

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-22, 02:01 PM
Any suggestions for a fifth, if I get five players?

Hard to say, given you're not using PoW:E. Maybe a Warlord archer?

Human Warlord 1
10 STR 17 DEX 15 CON 10 INT 10 WIS 15 CHA
Traits: Fate's Favored (Faith),
Martial Tradition: Empyreal Guardians (For Silver Crane, swap Scarlet Throne)
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot,
Skill ranks: 1 rank on Acrobatics, Diplomacy, Perception, Sense Motive, Survival, Swim (+1 rank of Climb (FCB))
Gambits: Choose two from Pinhole, Victory, or Unbreakable
Stance: Stance of Piercing Rays
Maneuvers: Horizon Wind Lancet, Solar Sting, Silver Strike, Crane Step, Curving Ray Shot, Encouraging Roar
Gear: Longbow, Arrows (50?) Studded Leather Armor, Fighter's Kit, Ioun Torch

JusticeZero
2016-07-22, 11:56 PM
I have old playtest PDFs of PoW:E classes, if need be. I probably won't need the fifth character, but I might.

Vhaidara
2016-07-23, 09:36 AM
I've played MotFF, and this group actually cannot beat every encounter. Mostly because, IIRC, there is a bat swarm. So give them so alchemical weapons (alch fire and acid)