PDA

View Full Version : Any good Ideas? (Character creation help!)

SonOfATook
2016-07-16, 03:23 AM
So. Im new to this site, so far it seems amazing! I am making a Satyr wizard for my 5E campaign. But I am having trouble coming up with a back story. I wanted him to be a Illusion wizard who is very mischievous and loves to trick people. If anyone has time to suggest some things or even write one feel free! Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Herobizkit
2016-07-16, 03:53 AM
Satyrs don't need much of a backstory unless you grew up somewhere outside Sylvan woods.

Traditionally, Satyrs are smarmy and lecherous with a penchant for overindulgence in wine, women and song. They chase nymphs and other attractive Sylvan ladies and generally faff about all day.

Sorcerer might be a better fit both statistically and thematically, as I'm guessing that (homebrew) Satyrs get +Cha. They did in 4e, anyway.

There's nothing stopping you from being a Wizard, though, so the real question is, why did your Satyr choose the books over the ladies? Did he have a teacher? Did he smut around with a High Elf or Eladrin, perhaps? And why does he choose to cause tricks and fool people? For what purpose? Fun? Attention? Money? Something else?

Why does he become an Adventurer? Maybe he's like Phil from the Disney's Hercules cartoon - gruff, surly, and no patience for incompetence. Maybe he's looking for the Hero of Legend, or at least someone who doesn't fall for cheap parlor tricks and illusions. Maybe he latches on to an impressionable youth (probably female) who's a great looker and going places outside the Sylvan woods.

Maybe the Sylvan woods is tired of his shenanigans and throws him out. ^_^

I'd consider tossing on Entertainer as a background, mostly because Satyrs are very Bard-like in general, but Sage works too, especially if you left the woods to become said Wizard.

What do YOU see yourself doing as an Adventurer?

SonOfATook
2016-07-16, 04:17 AM
Satyrs don't need much of a backstory unless you grew up somewhere outside Sylvan woods.

Traditionally, Satyrs are smarmy and lecherous with a penchant for overindulgence in wine, women and song. They chase nymphs and other attractive Sylvan ladies and generally faff about all day.

Sorcerer might be a better fit both statistically and thematically, as I'm guessing that (homebrew) Satyrs get +Cha. They did in 4e, anyway.

There's nothing stopping you from being a Wizard, though, so the real question is, why did your Satyr choose the books over the ladies? Did he have a teacher? Did he smut around with a High Elf or Eladrin, perhaps? And why does he choose to cause tricks and fool people? For what purpose? Fun? Attention? Money? Something else?

Why does he become an Adventurer? Maybe he's like Phil from the Disney's Hercules cartoon - gruff, surly, and no patience for incompetence. Maybe he's looking for the Hero of Legend, or at least someone who doesn't fall for cheap parlor tricks and illusions. Maybe he latches on to an impressionable youth (probably female) who's a great looker and going places outside the Sylvan woods.

Maybe the Sylvan woods is tired of his shenanigans and throws him out. ^_^

I'd consider tossing on Entertainer as a background, mostly because Satyrs are very Bard-like in general, but Sage works too, especially if you left the woods to become said Wizard.

What do YOU see yourself doing as an Adventurer?

TY for responding. Ill work on those in my spare time!

Gastronomie
2016-07-16, 04:31 AM
Thinking up too much backstory beforehand can actually limit what your character can do, unless you're a skilled role-player or storyteller who has a lot of experience creating pre-developed characters.

What matters more than the backstory is the goal. Like Herobizkit said, "what he became an adventurer for" is the most important part of a character, as that's what keeps him moving even after falling into dungeon traps, being bitten off parts of his body by zombies, and being nearly burnt to death by a raging Red Dragon. Without a motivation, he'd quit and run off into a cozy town. But he doesn't. Why?

The backstory and the personality stuff can then stem from his "motivation" - "why does he long for this item?", "what sort of mindset would a guy with this motivation have?" Anyhow, motivation is the key.

SonOfATook
2016-07-16, 04:38 AM
Thinking up too much backstory beforehand can actually limit what your character can do, unless you're a skilled role-player or storyteller who has a lot of experience creating pre-developed characters.

What matters more than the backstory is the goal. Like Herobizkit said, "what he became an adventurer for" is the most important part of a character, as that's what keeps him moving even after falling into dungeon traps, being bitten off parts of his body by zombies, and being nearly burnt to death by a raging Red Dragon. Without a motivation, he'd quit and run off into a cozy town. But he doesn't. Why?

The backstory and the personality stuff can then stem from his "motivation" - "why does he long for this item?", "what sort of mindset would a guy with this motivation have?" Anyhow, motivation is the key.

I agree! Im thinking of backstory because I like to immerse myself, the background is more for me then for the game. Also a little backstory to tell the campaign when we first meet or throughout the adventure is always nice!