PDA

View Full Version : Master of Many Forms

schreier
2016-07-16, 10:28 AM
I just realized something (after posting in the War Hulk thread) ...

All equipment (other than that equipped with a wildling clasp) melds with the body.

So - unless you have armor with a wildling clasp (or clothing) - going humanoid makes you naked? Kinda nerfs the disguise function, if that's the case

Necroticplague
2016-07-16, 10:34 AM
Easy to get around:un-equip cloths, wild shape, re-equip clothes.
Alternatively, one can use a magic item for clothing, and add a wilding clasp. Shiftweave garments, hat of disguise, sleeve of many garments.

schreier
2016-07-16, 10:59 AM
Sure ... But awkward and annoying I would think ... Even more so if you are changing size (large to medium, medium to small, or small to medium) ... Seems like the answer is to spend 4k on a wildling clasp on an item that doesn't really have a statistical benefit to avoid being naked (or use a hat of disguise)

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-16, 11:04 AM
You can just put on clothes after shifting if a disguise is what you're after. It stops you from shifting multiple times in a row to throw of a pursuer, but you don't really have the WS uses for that anyway.

Once you have some money to spend Vestment of Many Styles (RoE) is generally the best option to deal with this issue. It costs the same as Shiftweave (500gp) but is far more versatile.
I'd suggest combining it with a Handy Haversack (there's a precedent for that in Waterdeep:CoS) and whatever vest you normally wear (i'm fond of the Shirt of Wraith Stalking), in addition to a Con boost once you can afford it.
Possibly also a Monk's Belt if you go that route, because it's still cheaper than buying a separate Wilding Clasp for your belt slot.
Slap a Wilding Clasp on that and you get whatever clothes you need, your AC bonus and access to your items whenever you need it.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-07-17, 07:57 PM
The so-called "polymorph rules" that mostly just quasi-nerfed wild shape in the oddest ways imaginable are really dumb and unfair.

On the plus side, the fact transforming makes you naked (or at best, briefly naked before you swift action change clothes w/ shiftweave or other such magic item) meant it made all the more sense for me to use Master of Many Forms to play as Cutie Honey.
Always have to look for that silver lining... :smallsmile:

Arael666
2016-07-18, 08:38 AM
Easy to get around:un-equip cloths, wild shape, re-equip clothes.
Alternatively, one can use a magic item for clothing, and add a wilding clasp. Shiftweave garments, hat of disguise, sleeve of many garments.

you don't need to do that, if the equipment is wearable by the new form you can just morph and the new form will be wearing the items. Item's that can't be used by the new form will just be absorbed by the new form, and even if you unnequip them, the new form wuldn't be able to use/equip tehm anyway.

Necroticplague
2016-07-18, 08:56 AM
you don't need to do that, if the equipment is wearable by the new form you can just morph and the new form will be wearing the items. Item's that can't be used by the new form will just be absorbed by the new form, and even if you unnequip them, the new form wuldn't be able to use/equip tehm anyway.

Wrong. Wild Shape specifically says that all equipment melds in, regardless of usability by the new form.

Wild Shape (Su): At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

So while your statement is true when going from the transformed form back to the true form, it's false when going from true form to a transformed form.

Telonius
2016-07-18, 08:56 AM
One of our groups noticed this. The DM's ruling: "You change into a dwarf, and are wearing a set of purple pants. The gods are merciful."

Arael666
2016-07-18, 10:18 AM
Wrong. Wild Shape specifically says that all equipment melds in, regardless of usability by the new form.

So while your statement is true when going from the transformed form back to the true form, it's false when going from true form to a transformed form.

I was actually refering to the polymorph rules, but yeah, you're right about wildshape.

schreier
2016-07-18, 10:21 AM
I'm considering either beastskin on the clothing (which will allow an extra wild shape usage to keep the "armor" or clothing visible, while making it blend if you turn into an animal shape .. or a wildling clasp that you just "unclasp" when you turn into an animal (so you aren't wearing clothing as a hawk or fleshraker)