PDA

View Full Version : Cellar of the Old Kings

Townopolis
2016-07-16, 01:14 PM
On the isle of Mealator, north of the great city of Sveagort, the forests of Hoene are thick and dark. The lord of Hoene's tall stone keep sits atop a cleared hill in the center of this rolling woodland. Nearby, innumerable hamlets and thorpes nestle themselves among the trees and support hunters and loggers aplenty. Most of these settlements are at the end of dirt paths, but there is one major road in Hoene stretching northwest toward the kingless Mealatori and southwest toward twin-kinged Sveagort's lands, with Hoene's keep in the middle. The rest of the realm is crossed only by game trails, and most of it is wild with the only hints of civilization being the ruined lairs of Mealator's old kings.

Sat atop its hill, Dunum Hoene is the only major fortification in the region, or at least it is the only whole one. The keep itself stands upon a tall ridge on the northeast side of the hill, below which the ground swoops down like the belly of a wave rushing for the trees. A sturdy wall curves around the crest of the hill, encircling the Dunum's village. Two other towers jut up and out from the wall. One tall round-tower keeps watch over the south, and a small horseshoe gatehouse guards the path that descends down, encircles the hill, and eventually reaches out to join the great Hoene road as it emerges from the woods for but a moment before turning back into that wilderness.

Weeping Oak

Southwest of the Dunum, you will find the "town" of Weeping Oak, a small unwalled sprawl of shops and homes that lives as best it can off the traffic of the Hoene Road.

Our tale begins long ago, but we find ourselves now at one of the larger buildings of Weeping Oak--a tall fieldstone-and-lumber caravanserai called Soggy Tom's. Tom's is not the larger of the town's two inns, but it still claims its own stables, yard, and two dozen rooms for guests. The main building faces the Hoene Road, with a sturdy oak door letting foot traffic into the ground-floor tavern. Behind the tavern, extending away from the road, are the first dozen rooms. Then the building turns right for the next dozen rooms to face the road from across the caravanserai's yard. The building takes another right to approach the road again, and here you will find the stables. Finally, a fieldstone wall bridges the gap between stables and tavern, with an arched gateway to let horses and wagons through.

Inside the tavern is not quiet. Aside from a pair of merchants and all their hirelings, many local woodsmen have taken to the tavern for their evening meat and drink. Add to that the odd mercenary here or there looking for work, and you have a small crowd. One figure sits apart from the rest, hooded and cloaked. An iron halberd leans against the wall nearby, and he eats his meal in quiet. He is another mercenary looking for work. Unlike the others, this lone hobgoblin is down to his last few silvers, as work has not been easy to come by.

The front door of the tavern opens, letting in a blast of cool evening air and a pair of lizardfolk. Hubbub within the tavern dulls for a moment as patrons all take their turns sizing up the newcomers, but the moment passes and the dull roar resumes. Lizardfolk, although uncommon in these parts, are not noteworthy enough for these two to draw much attention.

Derzol
When you left the fleet, Umaro gave you one of his Shotels, Rethrel gave you a pair of handaxes, and Okein gifted you one of the fleet's folding boats.

After much practice, you've gotten very good with the handaxes. They're light enough to use alongside the shotel, and they're balanced enough that they work with your swift style. You may wield all light melee weapons as if they were also finesse weapons.

Shotels deal 1d8 slashing damage and have the finesse property. They are one-handed and weigh 3lb each. You now have 1.

The folding boat functions as the item in the DMG (let me know if you don't have it) with the following exceptions: it only folds out to the smaller boat size, and it takes ten-minutes to unfold or repack. Also, it's not a magic item.

When he gave you the boat, Okein made sure you knew how to repair it, if need be. You gain proficiency in leatherworker's tools.

You leave Sveagort with a sheaf of notes plus 5 blank sheets of parchment.
Malgrim
You still have the iron halberd you looted off the old hobgoblin. You may also have acquired as many of the weapons (scimitars, bows of both lengths, spears, handaxes, and spears) from the warband as you want.
Milroc
Although you have not found any real heroes since Rattling Tor, you have encountered many heroic stories in your search since then. You've added these tales to your repertoire, and your understanding of bardic lore has allowed you to retell them with magic woven into your words. Now, with a sizeable hoard of these tales, you have one for just about any occasion--provided it's of the very, very violent kind. You have the Inspire Heroism ability.

Inspire Heroism
You may cast the Heroism spell at its lowest level as an action without spending a spell slot.
Shimrae
Before you leave the fleet, Umaro gives you his longbow and a quiver of 20 of his best arrows. After several days being tutored by Umaro himself and a month of practice, you have become proficient in the weapon.

The arrows are clearly of gnome-make, but you do not understand what is so special about them. They are not proper broadheads but have heads in the shape of square spikes. They are also somewhat silvery in color, but are clearly not proper steel. They reduce the die size of your weapon by one (d6 with a longbow instead of d8), but Umaro said they were his best, so you're certain they make up for it in some way.

Gwendol
2016-07-18, 01:41 AM
Having finished his meal Malgrim addresses the serving maid as she comes by to clean up. Miss, is there a way to find work for someone like me around here? I tried the keep but they will not have me. Where do traders and ordinary folk ask for help?

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-18, 09:45 AM
The shorter and yellower of the two lizardfolk addresses the other, "Derzol, finding those ruins is going to be dangerous. There's evil about. I have your back, of course, but we should probably form a bigger group. Safety in numbers, you know. I think you'll come across worse than stirges."

Shimrae feels more comfortable in conversation with Derzol than he did back when they first set out. That's what an adventure will do—form bonds. It's good to be back in the company of a friend.

Townopolis
2016-07-18, 01:17 PM
The serving maid startles when Malgrim addresses her, as if she were nervous even to come over, but she quickly smothers her fear beneath a veneer of pleasantness. "Oh, um, I think most of them hire mercenaries at the Tangleroot" she says, immediately directing you toward the other inn in town. "Yes, I think you should try there."

She quickly gather's Malgrim's dishes and is about to hurry off when she remembers another portion of her manners. "Is there aught else I can help you with?"

Anubis Dread
2016-07-18, 03:24 PM
Ah, yet another tavern. From the stories he would figure that there was a guarantee that adventurers abounded here. Unfortunately for his thesis time and experience had lead him to believe it wasn't quite that simple. It seemed as though roles could indeed make a group of heroes more destined for success, but trying to artificially create that perfect storm of drama and destiny just wouldn't work. Nor was it a common phenomena, more of a perfect storm than simple rain. Milroc was getting rather weary with so many false starts and leads.

So when he saw a reoccurring character, he was delighted. "Malgrim! Good to see you!" Milroc declared as he sat down next to the hobgoblin. Completely ignoring proprietary in the process.

Gwendol
2016-07-19, 02:23 AM
Thank you. Malgrim replies, then mutters No thanks, I'm fine as is.
He empties the last of the ale in his mug and is prepared to leave for Tangleroot when Milroc suddenly appears.
Grinning widely, Malgrim pulls the bard in for a proper bro hug, nearly squeezing the air out of Milroc in the process.
I've been looking for you! They wouldn't let me in at the keep. I'm in need of work, and was heading to the Tangleroot tavern to look for one just now. But that can wait. How about you?

Fishybugs
2016-07-19, 09:07 AM
Derzol shuffles through his papers and nods his head as he listens to Shimrae. "Yes," he begins, "but think of the knowledge there is to be had. Secrets lost to the ages. We could lift the fleet to a position of prominence."

He absently looks around the room he continues to review pages of notes.

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-19, 09:40 AM
Shimrae looks at Derzol. "I don't really know what secrets you're after. My point is just to bring a few more people along. Someone tough," he adds, "like that fellow," indicating the mysterious hobgoblin hugging a man who just walked in.

Fishybugs
2016-07-19, 10:12 AM
Derzol looks up from his papers at the hobgoblin. "Hmm. We did okay, I think." Derzol reviews the papers a little more, and his sense of worry increases. "Though you may have a point. Do you think he would help us?"

Anubis Dread
2016-07-19, 10:26 AM
Thank you. Malgrim replies, then mutters No thanks, I'm fine as is.
He empties the last of the ale in his mug and is prepared to leave for Tangleroot when Milroc suddenly appears.
Grinning widely, Malgrim pulls the bard in for a proper bro hug, nearly squeezing the air out of Milroc in the process.
I've been looking for you! They wouldn't let me in at the keep. I'm in need of work, and was heading to the Tangleroot tavern to look for one just now. But that can wait. How about you?

"Alas, the secrets of the universe remained as secretive as before," Milroc sighed in despair. But you!" he points with a smile. "I believe in you. I believe that if we go to this tavern of yours - or get interrupted en route as many good stories begin - something amazing will happen."

Townopolis
2016-07-19, 03:23 PM
Indeed, as Malgrim and Milroc make their way toward the door, they find their way blocked by the lizardfolk, who have yet to move away from the entrance. The taller of the lizardfolk is well-armored in a suit of iron scale, and he carries a small array of blades, as well as a pair of handaxes and a bow. He is the one looking over a sheaf of notes right now, and he has just looked up when you stop before him. The shorter lizardfolk is also armored, but only in the light leather armor commonly found even among peasants. He carries a bow and a couple blades as well, and has a traveler's staff in his hands. While his taller companion is clearly a warrior of some sort, you might almost take this shorter, yellower fellow as a commoner. Malgrim will have noticed this shorter lizardfolk gesturing toward him a moment earlier.

Shimrae and Derzol both look up from their conversation and notes to see that the hobgoblin and human in question have come over to the door, whether to leave or speak is uncertain. The hobgoblins certainly looks the part of able-bodied warrior with his thick arms and iron halberd, although he is not as well armored as Derzol. In addition to the halberd, he also carries a longbow and arrows. His companion, the human, is almost certainly an entertainer or courtier of some kind; the red-haired fellow is armed only with rapier and dagger, armored only in leather, and carries a lute with him.

Two pairs of friends face each-other at the entrance of Soggy Tom's. One pair looking for adventure, and the other in need of adventurers. The only question is who will speak first.

Fishybugs
2016-07-19, 07:02 PM
Derzol looks at Shimrae, then to the pair standing in front of him. "Hello," he begins a little awkwardly, my friend here believes you may be of assistance to us. We are seeking some ruins, and could use a little more muscle in our escapades." Yes. That sounded like it should be sufficient.

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-19, 08:05 PM
As Derzol speaks to the hobgoblin warrior and the human entertainer, Shimrae merely nods.

Gwendol
2016-07-20, 04:44 AM
This close, the lizardfolk are able to catch a glimpse of the face under the hood. It is hideously deformed and strangely lopsided. The hobgoblin almost immediately shifts his stance to allow the hood to obscure his features.
Did you hear that Milroc? You have but to appear and already my luck is changing. Yes, we are interested in work. We should sit so you can better explain what assistance you need, and what ruins you seek. I am Malgrim, called the Malformed by most. This here is Milroc the minstrel. We fought together a while back at the battle of Rattling Tor, but parted ways. Fate brought us together here and now. Perhaps also guiding your steps?
Malgrim seems to excuse himself for talking so much, grows silent and instead gestures awkwardly towards the table and seats he and Milroc had just vacated.

Anubis Dread
2016-07-20, 12:00 PM
"Huzzah! We would gladly accompany you on this fine adventure!" Milroc agrees enthusiastically. "A full group of four! Surely destiny will smile on us!" Four to six was the number of an ideal band of heroes. And they fulfilled a great number of the classic roles! The noble savage, the stoic, the deformed warrior and the dashing rogue! Or perhaps he was leaping too quickly to conclusions. He had thought that Rattling Tor had been the first chapter when it appears to have been a prelude at best.

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-20, 12:54 PM
A full group of four? Well, four's better than two, at any rate. Shimrae is a little taken aback by the pair's enthusiasm.

He starts for the table the hobgoblin indicated. "Tell us about these ruins."

Townopolis
2016-07-21, 11:36 AM
As the four of you make your way to Malgrim's table, you hear the clattering of hooves, the rattling of wheels on stone, and the groaning of wood that heralds the arrival of a heavily-laden cart. You, and probably everyone in Soggy Tom's can hear two wagons turning into the caravanserai's courtyard. Meanwhile, a trio of new mercenaries enter through the front tavern door. They are all decently armored and well-armed, and they have the tired and dusty look of men who have been on the road all day. They make their way directly for the bar and flag down the barman.

While the barman deals with these dusty newcomers, the serving made makes her reluctant way to your table. "Afternoon, sirs," she says, looking at everyone but Malgrim, "is there aught I can get for you today?"

Fishybugs
2016-07-21, 11:40 AM
Derzol shuffles his papers as he sits down, letting his pack slump to the side of the table. "Yes, the ruins,' he begins. He orders some wine and warm stew when the watress comes back.

"They're...well...ruins of an old estate. The area is called Dor Irrun, previously owned by The House of Vorarg, if the rumors can be believed. A powerful house, probably a large Dor." He pauses to collect his thoughts before going on. Where was that blasted stew?

"I believe there will be a new way in. It's been unoccupied by the formal owners for quite some time, of course." He smiles as if making a joke then continues on when the others don't respond, a small look of annoyance on his face. "Think of it Shimrae, there must be lost knowledge there which could help the fleet. I think...I think if we can make sure it's cleaned out, the fleet could settle there. It should be easily definsible. Maybe a safe place for us to raise our young! Our elders would not have to trek through the dangers of the world. "

Derzol stops for a moment, suddenly realizing these two strangers would have no incentive to help the fleet. That could be problematic. He thinks a moment, then goes on.

"Wealth. Yes. The Vorargs were very wealthy. My notes indicate that there should be plenty of money left in their vaults to make us very wealthy. More wealth than you could imagine. Although, I can imagine quite a lot. The Cellar alone...the famed famori horde...think of the riches. Fame, fortune. A standard 10% share would be yours, or course. People would sing your praises after killing all the monsters. Oh. Yes. I should probably mention that. There are....certain creatures which have taken up living in the Dor. Yes. Ummm...the surrounding villages would love us all for clearing them out...ending the raiding parties."

When the stew arrives, he finally shuts up and takes a few bites while looking expectantly at the strange pair of men. "Well? What say you?"

Anubis Dread
2016-07-21, 01:44 PM
"You had me at promises of helping innocents and eternal fame," Milroc smile, before turning to the waitress. "Wine for me and my companion, thank you," he told her, settling a hand on Malgrim's shoulder before turning back to the lizardman. "That being said, you lost me at the 10% share. Equal shares is traditional for this sort of thing! Anything less and I would be a hireling rather than a hero, and the hireling always dies when the villain shows up to show how ruthless he is! I have no intention of having my life be cut short by dramatic intervention."

Fishybugs
2016-07-21, 02:13 PM
Derail chuckles softly. "You can't blame a man for trying. We have a fleet to support after all. Of course, there will be equal shares, with expenses also equally shared."

Gwendol
2016-07-22, 01:27 AM
Malgrim looks up at the mention of killing monsters. What manner of creatures have taken residence? What happened to the Vorargs? They sound like a house of power and wealth, why then hasn't it been claimed before now?

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-22, 08:37 AM
Shimrae also partakes of wine while listening to his friend's plans. Though he doesn't have much use for great wealth, the mention of raiding parties in the surrounding villages speaks to his heart.

He's about to say something, but the hobgoblins question about the creatures captures his attention. Just what are we getting ourselves into this time?

Fishybugs
2016-07-22, 09:27 AM
"The place has been sealed until recently. Some sort of activity up there opened it up. An earth-tremble of some sort, maybe. As far as what types of creatures, I am uncertain." He refers to his stack of papers one more time before continuing. "Only that something is harassing the nearby villages. Villages who would be likely to thank us for ending that threat. As far as what happened to them.....they passed on at the time the rest of the fomor did, I assume."

Townopolis
2016-07-22, 02:05 PM
As your conversation continues at your table, the merchants whose carts you heard roll in finally enter the tavern. One of them hails the goodman and orders drinks, while the other goes over to the mercenaries who walked in ahead of them. They fall into a hushed conversation at the bar, and the curious among you will be able to tell that they're in some sort of negotiation. It ends, after only a minute, with the merchant shaking his head and paying each of the mercenaries out of a leather purse.

Immediately afterward, and in a seeming direct contradiction of what the serving girl told Malgrim earlier, the merchant then turns, surveys the room, and then calls out that he's hiring new guards to guide the caravan into the Mealatori hills. Soon, most of the other mercenaries in the tavern are gathered about him to hear his offer.

Meanwhile, the serving girl brings food and drink and continues to avoid making eye contact with the Malformed hobgoblin at your table.

Milroc
You know there haven't been any fomor on this island since about sixty years ago, when an alliance of lizardfolk fleets and human rebels overthrew the old kings and their great houses. The House of Vorarg would have been one of those great houses.

When the larger lizardfolk says the Dor was sealed, that seems odd to you. Dors (which are basically underground manors) usually don't seal from the outside, and you doubt the Vorargs would have sealed themselves inside. The only circumstance in which you think they would have sealed their Dor is if they had a secret back entrance somewhere, although where that entrance would emerge on the surface would be difficult to tell.

If you could find that secret entrance, however, it would make things much easier. Dors are usually built to be easily defended against attacks through the front door. On the other hand, if marauders only recently took up shelter in the Dor, they might not have figured out its defensive features, and an unthinking monstrosity would probably get no use out of the traps and redoubts you'd find in the Dor's upper levels. Finding out who or what has been raiding nearby villages might be helpful, but you get the impression Derzol doesn't know that information.

Also, the Dor will definitely be full of booby traps.
Shimrae
The fact that this Dor was apparently sealed is intriguing. The fomor didn't seal many of their Dors when they left. If this one was sealed, it likely means that there is something inside that the House of Vorarg didn't want discovered. It also means the Vorargs probably planned to return, but that's probably not relevant to your current quest.

Meanwhile, the fact that Derzol doesn't seem to know what has been harrassing the villagers means that either his research into the matter was undisciplined, which you somehow doubt, or the reports coming in were hazy or contradictory. That points to one of two things: a stealthy predator (or group of marauders) or multiple different types of creatures all attacking villages in the same area.
[roll0]

Fishybugs
2016-07-23, 09:36 PM
Derzol is shaken out of his thoughts when the merchant calls out the need for caravan guards. "We could use this opportunity. We don't need to go so far as the hills, but we could sign on until we reach Hoene...go our own way from there. Get paid to travel the first part, at least. It'll give us some spending money to cover expenses while we find Dor Irrun. What do you guys say? Do we go for it? Together?"

Townopolis
2016-07-25, 08:42 AM
The merchant finishes his business quickly. A trio of mercenaries have shaken his hand before a minute passes, and the rest return to their drinks. While the one merchant wraps up his hiring, the one who had ordered drinks wraps up renting a pair of rooms and ordering food to go with the drinks. Soon, the two merchants are at their own table devouring bowls of the Inn's simple fare.

Meanwhile, your own negotiations are also wrapping up. The four of you have agreed that you will seek out the secrets of Dor Irrun together, and that each shall get an equal share of any wealth found below. Now, united, you turn your thoughts to the first challenge. None of you know exactly where Dor Irrun is. Derzol's research tells him it is somewhere in the realm of Hoene, and that it will be by a lake and a waterfall, but none of you know Hoene well enough to know where you might find those features together. You will need some strategy for your search.

Gwendol
2016-07-25, 04:02 PM
Malgrim nods, "Let's see if the merchant is willing to take us on. If he travels these lands maybe he's heard something of interest to us, to help us find the ruins."
He gets up and approaches the merchant.
"Greetings, have you found the help you were looking for? We would be willing to work for you. "
He points to the trio at the table.

Anubis Dread
2016-07-25, 04:34 PM
"I concur," Milroc nods thoughtfully. "Though even then there might be another search on top of it. Dor's always have secret entrances. It's a narrative tradition! And also a consistency of their construction, traditionally. If we can slip in that way we'll likely found all manner of adventure we wouldn't find if we just charged in the front! We can always just loop around to the front and encounter all the traps and monsters there after slipping through the back if we feel the need."

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-26, 11:10 AM
Shimrae agrees with the group. "Safety in numbers... as far as we can have it." He follows Malgrim as he approaches the merchant.

Townopolis
2016-07-26, 12:05 PM
The merchant who had been hiring takes one look at Malgrim and pulls away in his seat "Shoulda joined the crowd, then. I've got who I need, and I don't need any more." He spares a moment to glance at the others who Malgrim claims are with him, but he resumes speaking before he's even gotten a good look "'Sides, you lot have the look of brigands about you. Wouldn't be wise of me."

His fellow, who had ordered food and rooms for them both, chuckles and sweeps a calmer gaze over the group. "Mother's mercy, but yours sure did make a mistake with you," he comments to Malgrim, "and Arvix is right. We've guards enough now." He stops to drink from his mug and lick the foam from his lips before continuing. "Still, if you're heading north, I suppose we wouldn't hurt ourselves to have you around." Arvix snorts, but his fellow continues "I'll offer you wach two-and-five a day--that's half a gold for the whole of you a day. It's two weeks and two days to Long Goat's Pass, and we can speak again there. How about it?"

The sixteen-day journey to Long Goat's Pass would include eight days through the forest of Hoene and eightr days through the Mealatori Hills. If you want to stay in Hoene, you'd only be traveling with him for eight days. Normally, abandoning your employer halfway through a journey would be a pretty nefarious thing to do, but you get the impression neither of these merchants would be particularly bothered by that.

Also note that the caravan will likely be moving quite slowly because of the wagons, which is why the merchant is expecting sixteen days for what would be an eight day journey by yourselves on foot.

Milroc
You can hear the conversation from your table, and you'd know that the merchant is offering pretty bad wages. Guarding isn't the most glamorous work, but it should normally pay more than a poor livelihood. A more appropriate wage would be 1 gold/day each.

Of course, it's pretty clear that the merchant doesn't think he needs more help, so it makes sense that he'd only hire extra guards at extra low rates like this.

Fishybugs
2016-07-26, 12:46 PM
Derzol nods when he hears the terms. "As long as that includes food, I say we accept. We are going that way anyway. It will give us a chance to query these well-traveled men about locations in Hoene. They may know of rivers. Rivers lead to waterfalls...It will give us something to do on the journey as well."

He looks to the others and hopes for their agreement.

Gwendol
2016-07-26, 04:50 PM
Malgrim shrugs, "We'll take your offer; you won't be disappointed."

Townopolis
2016-07-27, 04:32 AM
"Excellent!" declares the amiable merchant, and he makes a "go ahead" gesture at his fellow, Arvix, who fishes five silver coins out of a purse at his breast and plinks them down on the table near Derzol.

"Best get some rest with that. We leave an hour past first light" says the amiable one.

"And that's leaving, not waking up" adds Arvix.

Anubis Dread
2016-07-27, 01:05 PM
"I suppose this way opens us up to more dramatic intervention," Milroc agrees thoughtfully. Far more likely for their journey to be interrupted if they were guarding a caravan than if they were just hoofing it cross country after all.

Fishybugs
2016-07-27, 01:16 PM
Derzol wondered sometimes at the things coming out of Milroc's mouth...narrative tradition....dramatic intervention...but he seemed an okay sort. He nodded. "Yes. It seems we are agreed. Let us sleep. We will meet in the morning and our journey begins."

Townopolis
2016-07-28, 09:20 AM
The next morning, the caravan creaks and groans its way out of Weeping Oak. Arvix and the other merchant--who you discover is named Borgny--each have a wagon of goods, and the two merchants are doubling as drivers. Indeed, they're making their way across the isle just by themselves plus guards.

Those guards, aside from you, are a well-weathered huntress, a mail-clad swordsman, and a fresh-faced boy carrying a long-hafted two-handed axe. They introduce themselves to you as you're leaving the town. Saengar is the swordsman, who was a soldier in the realm of Laratorix some years past. Hilma is the huntress, who grew up in Hoene. The boy is Armi, and he also grew up in these parts, although he and Hilma do not seem to know each-other well. They're all strangers to each-other, just like you.

As the two wagons leave Weeping Oak behind, the other guards all find themselves positions around the carts. Saengar positions himself to the right of the fore cart. Armi puts himself left of the rear cart, and Hilma follows behind the caravan as a rear guard.

Vegan Squirrel
2016-07-28, 12:16 PM
Shimrae introduces himself to the other guards, following their lead by taking up a position. He goes to the right of the rear cart, behind Saengar, with his bow ready in case of any danger.

Gwendol
2016-07-30, 05:39 AM
Malgrim waves a hand as introduction, debating wether to wield a ranged weapon or not. Finally he decides to stay close to the wagons, halberd in hand.

Fishybugs
2016-07-30, 09:06 AM
Derzol is friendly to everyone on the trip, but is highly interested in Hilma. He spends time walking next to her, questioning her of her homeland. Geography, history, and rumors are of great interest to him if she is willing to share anything.

Townopolis
2016-07-30, 05:51 PM
The caravan sticks to the great Hoene road, the only road in the realm. It's a good road, ashlar stones with grass and moss growing between them. It shows a clear path with even terrain that bullies its way through the woods. It's clear that someone went through great effort to have this road cut straight or mostly straight through the realm, and there are stumps to either side of the road that show little more than a year of age.

Derzol finds that Hilma prefers to keep quiet, and she shushes him more than once so that she can listen for ambushes. At camp, she is a little more forthcoming, bust still exudes an attitude of strong silence.

Your first day on the road passes uneventfully, you're still close enough to town that the woods on either side of the road show the occasional hunter's cabin or woodsman's hut, and there is light traffic on the road--woodsmen and hunters, mostly. You are even past by a patrol of Hoene's rangers. Four soldiers in dark green with bows and blades and dark leather armor. They say nothing, even though both Arvix and Borgny try to sell them all new boots.

On the second day... Derzol gets Hilma to open up a little more. She retells some local legends, mostly tales of ghosts and lovers that are interesting but not particularly illuminating. She has much more interesting information on the local geography and fauna, however.

"Well, there's four real rivers, see. Feedworm runs west of here, just from some hill spring up among the Mealatori and going down to the sea, supposed to be a gift from some water spirits up there. A day or so southeast is Little Worm, which is the same--lake, spirits, goes to the sea. Don't drink the water there, it's sacred, and the spirits get nasty when you do." After that tidbit, she clams up a while, but Derzol eventually gets her to open up again.

"Way east we have the Buryweir, which is just a salt marsh funneling into a gully for some miles afore it disappears underground, but the big river is The Salve." The Salve, you learn, is an enormous river that runs down from the Mealatori into Hoene, where it splits in two to return to the sea. The main branch after the split heads south and is still called The Salve. A side branch heads to the east and is called Runnywelt. Interestingly, Hilma reveals that Runny welt has a few waterfalls in it and a few lakes to go with them.

On the topic of Fauna, Hilma warns you of the bears and wolves of the region, but also to watch out for webs. "Its spiders and their cursed spider-spawn that'll get you, and the spawn are the worst. If you see any hint of webs about, keep an eye out for snares."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Fishybugs
2016-07-30, 06:53 PM
Derzol scribbles down everything Hilma tells him into his notes. He takes careful notes when she describes the Salve and Runnywelt. "Thank you. Thank you tremendously! This will help my research so much."

Anubis Dread
2016-08-01, 11:23 AM
Ah, foreshadowing. Milroc nods absently from his position to the side of the carts, gently strumming his lute as they walked. He'd love to tell a few tales as they walked, but business before pleasure and just tuning his lute was pushing the matter enough. Still it seemed as though they were bound to have a few issues before they arrived at their destination.

Townopolis
2016-08-01, 04:48 PM
The second day passes otherwise uneventfully. You leave Weeping Oak's outskirts behind, and spend a day in the narrow stretch of "wilderness" between the town and Dunum Hoene. On the third day of travel, you arrive at Dunum Hoene, where Arvix informs you all "We'll be making a camp within sight of the towers. You can visit the Dunum tavern, if you'd like, but we leave early and you don't get paid if you aren't about when we do."

Borgny, meanwhile makes his own way up to the Dunum, and he engages Armi to bring some of his trade goods up with him. You spy fine cloths, a bottle of some dark liquid, and the fur of some golden animal among the goods Borgny loads the boy up with, and Borgny himself carries a moderately-sized coffer up with him.

Saengar also decides to head up to the Dunum, but Hilma indicates she'll be staying with the wagons and horses.

Milroc
Having been there for a while, you know Dunum Hoene fairly well. The only thing of real interest there is the keep itself, where lord Asur and his court live. Other than that, the village has a small tavern and various craftsmen--such folk as would be useful around a stronghold.

You would be able to get access to the keep, if you wanted, and you could probably bring others with you. Malgrim has already been turned away once at the gates, so you may have to contend with the hobgoblin guards and their superstitions, but it might be possible to get him inside, if you want to.

Lord Asur does keep many hunters with him, and they would know the land well. Then, of course, there's lord Asur himself and all his retainers, in case there's anything else you want to pursue.

Vegan Squirrel
2016-08-01, 05:37 PM
Shimrae takes the opportunity to strike up a conversation with Derzol. "Do you have a better idea of where we're headed? You seem to be taking a lot of notes."

Fishybugs
2016-08-01, 05:44 PM
Derzol looks at Shimrae, looks to his notes, then back to Shimrae. He pauses a moment, then says, "Yeah. You bet. Uh huh. Got this pinned down to...uh...sure. River...waterfall...lake. How many can there be?"

Vegan Squirrel
2016-08-01, 07:05 PM
Shimrae looks at Derzol briefly, a little confused. Sensing the lack of confidence, he changes tack. "We'll figure it out," he says confidently. "I've been wandering the wilds a long time. You learn to tell the different streams and lakes apart, the variation in the trees, the way the soil feels underfoot. We'll just narrow the search until we find our quarry."

He pats Derzol's shoulder to instill confidence, then realizes the gesture may have come across awkwardly. "I think I might stay here with the wagons. It feels right to stay outdoors."

Fishybugs
2016-08-01, 11:06 PM
Derzol looks a little more encouraged by Shimrae's words, then looks like he's made a discovery in the paperwork. He turns the papers over, top to bottom. He then looks to Shimrae. "Yes it's looking better already, thank you. Forgive me, I lean more towards the outdoors myself. This...scholarly stuff is rather new to me, but I find I have a knack for it."

Anubis Dread
2016-08-02, 12:22 AM
"Staying outdoors is all well and good, but if we intend to find our destination we need hints! Maps hidden in old books, gossiping strangers in hoods, a benevolent lord willing to give the information in exchange for a task or two," Milroc points out. "I have a bit of an inn with the local keep, that should have pretty much all of the above."

Fishybugs
2016-08-02, 08:53 AM
Derzol looks to Shimrae and whispers, "That one may read too many storybooks. Seems like he has some good ideas though."

Vegan Squirrel
2016-08-03, 11:20 AM
Shimrae is a little put off by the way Milroc frames his ideas, but they are sound ideas. "I suppose. Then let's try heading to town."

He sidles up to Milroc. "So you've taken to all the old adventure stories, then? Never really listened to them for advice before."

Townopolis
2016-08-03, 04:29 PM
The path from the road to the dunum is plain dirt, but it is wide and sunken from use. Even as you climb the hill, you spot a hobgoblin serf working the road with a hoe to even out its ruts and potholes. At the top of the hill, the dunum stands commanding and strong, with its proud stone towers and many sentries visible among the ramparts. Two guards stand outside the gates and keep watch. Aside from your caravan, there isn't much traffic today, and so it is no surprise that the guards wear the bored expressions of men just waiting for their shift to end.

As your group approaches, one of them spots Milroc and gives him a nod. The two lizardfolk get curious glances as well, but Malgrim begets and instant scowl. As you attempt to enter the gatehouse to the courtyard, one guard moves to block Malgrim's path. The other addresses Milroc, asking "Who's this, then?"

Both guards are hobgoblins, as are most of Lord Asur's soldiers, and the one blocking Malgrim eyes the hooded, hunched figure with suspicion, as if he might recognize him.

Malgrim
If the guard does recognize you, it's probably just from your previous visit here. As far as you know, you don't know anyone from this region.

Anubis Dread
2016-08-04, 10:09 AM
Shimrae is a little put off by the way Milroc frames his ideas, but they are sound ideas. "I suppose. Then let's try heading to town."

He sidles up to Milroc. "So you've taken to all the old adventure stories, then? Never really listened to them for advice before."

"Those who do not learn of history are doomed to repeat it. Or not repeat it when they should as the case may be," Milroc amends. "I don't see any shame in attempting to copy a winning formula."

Honestly this was becoming tiresome. While he knew objectively speaking being the hated outcast was an integral part of Malgrim's character it was still rather inconvenient. "This is my companion Malgrim. You may recall him. He's a friend, don't worry."

Vegan Squirrel
2016-08-04, 10:38 AM
"Those who do not learn of history are doomed to repeat it. Or not repeat it when they should as the case may be," Milroc amends. "I don't see any shame in attempting to copy a winning formula."

This seemed fair. Shimrae had learned a lot from the old traditions.

As Malgrim is eyed suspiciously, Shimrae elects to let Milroc do the talking. The guards seem more likely to listen to him, at any rate.

Fishybugs
2016-08-05, 11:59 AM
Derzol has stuffed his papers into his satchel at this point, and is looking around as they approach the dunum. "Shouldn't someone be with the wagons? I know we aren't being paid well....but we are being paid."

Gwendol
2016-08-06, 03:23 AM
"I can stay with the wagons, you'll do betyer without me here " Malgrim replies before heading back