PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alchemical Grenadier-CR 4 Monster

JNAProductions
2016-07-16, 02:11 PM
https://s32.postimg.org/tyg0860gj/Alchemical_Grenadier.png

Usually found alone, Grenadiers are incredibly dangerous in groups, due to their Bomb Expertise allowing them to safely bomb where their allies are.

Grenadiers, despite being deadly even in death, rarely fight to the end-commonly giving up when reduced to 20 hit points or less.

Gastronomie
2016-07-16, 09:41 PM
I love this thing. The concept of bombs seems a bit campaign-specific like Eberron, but one can simply re-fluff it into, say, an alchemist with various magical vials for normal fantasy, or even a hideous monster with attack rays or disgusting chemicals shooting out of various mouths all over its body. In fact I think I'm gonna use that idea for my Out of Abyss campaign. Thanks~

However, while this concept seems really interesting, in an actual fight I doubt it can work as well as it seems on paper. Perhaps I might wanna give this guy a way to escape from melee range, like a flashbang. NVM, Caustic Bomb exists. I personally think a flashbang would be more thematic as the escape route, but that's personal preference.

I think you have the meaning of "Kamikaze" sorta wrong? Kamikaze is when you plunge into your enemies and self-destruct with a gigantic explosion. It's not really "making everything explode because you died", but rather, "everything explodes, and as a side result, you die". But the name of an ability is honestly not really that important an issue.

I can see how this + Manipulator would be a hilarious encounter. Again, I love this thing.

(BTW, could you check out the Elite Black Dragon Wyrmling (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494768-CR-5-Boss-Monster-Elite-Black-Dragon-Wyrmling-Boss-Monster-with-10-Attack-Methods!&p=21005873#post21005873) I posted, with the same concept of creating "monsters with multiple methods of attack"? To see if you have any extra ideas or advice or anything.)

JNAProductions
2016-07-16, 09:43 PM
I love this thing. The concept of bombs seems a bit campaign-specific like Eberron, but one can simply re-fluff it into, say, an alchemist with various magical vials for normal fantasy, or even a hideous monster with attack rays or disgusting chemicals shooting out of various mouths all over its body. In fact I think I'm gonna use that idea for my Out of Abyss campaign. Thanks~

However, while this concept seems really interesting, in an actual fight I doubt it can work as well as it seems on paper. Perhaps I might wanna give this guy a way to escape from melee range, like a flashbang. NVM, Caustic Bomb exists. I personally think a flashbang would be more thematic as the escape route, but that's personal preference.

I think you have the meaning of "Kamikaze" sorta wrong? Kamikaze is when you plunge into your enemies and self-destruct with a gigantic explosion. It's not really "making everything explode because you died", but rather, "everything explodes, and as a side result, you die". But the name of an ability is honestly not really that important an issue.

I can see how this + Manipulator would be a hilarious encounter. Again, I love this thing.

(BTW, could you check out the Elite Black Dragon Wyrmling (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494768-CR-5-Boss-Monster-Elite-Black-Dragon-Wyrmling-Boss-Monster-with-10-Attack-Methods!&p=21005873#post21005873) I posted, with the same concept of creating "monsters with multiple methods of attack"? To see if you have any extra ideas or advice or anything.)

Actually inspired by that exact thread. I will certainly check it out, and thank you for commenting on this!