PDA

View Full Version : You are the Apocalypse: Darkova

Inevitability
2016-07-16, 03:32 PM
From the book of Expirations, chapter 4, verses 1 to 5:

1 And with the Bull shall rise the Consumer. 2 The Consumer will devour rather than destroy, but it too will do so to all. 3 Yet while the Bull is anger, the Consumer is fear. 4 And just like the being of destruction will be destruction to all, the being of fear will bring fear to all. 5 And like fear, the Consumer will not die, and all will despair.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/87c1/f/2011/211/b/5/b5f8aaca5d3e289ce996b36c1ef3a662-d426nlc.jpg

The gnome city of Brimwater, located on the aptly named Third Island, is a peaceful place. The sulfur mines and alchemical workshops provide the city with a reliable source of wealth, the gnomes' enemies prefer to targets less likely to sink their ships with wood-destroying concoctions, and the isolated location means it's free of monsters. Well, it used to be, at the very least.

These are but a few of the conflicted, scared thoughts going through a particular gnome's head as Grimm continues to work his power. Every jolt of pain, every joint dislocating itself gives the gnome another thing to fear, and every time said fear comes true. It is anything but pleasant, but it is definitely effective.

The man's spine snaps, causing him to fall over. His limbs twist and lengthen, allowing him to shamble around on all fours. While the old spine is replaced by a newly grown one, its shards pierce his back, giving him dreadful spines. The gnome, if it can still be called a gnome, sees his nails and teeth elongate and sharpen into deadly weapons before a wave of nausea overpowers him. Old organs, no longer sufficient, are vomited out, and new ones regenerate to take their place.

As the gnome gives in to the overpowering emotions, he dimly notices his skin turning scaly and thick. It's the last thing he ever notices before his psyche is snuffed out and too replaced by something better.

The monster, for that is what it is now, bursts out of the gnomish house. Frightened people run in all directions, calling for the watch, the army, the pirate lords, anyone, to do something. A few try to hide in alleys or beneath debris. The monster roars.

Such is the beginning of the life of Darkova, the Consumer.

http://i.imgur.com/FvYqFYs.png

Smeggedoff
2016-07-16, 04:07 PM
Darkova smiles as much of a smile as can be attained from a bestial mouth full of fangs

'Glorious' he thinks 'watch how they run, already afraid of my magnificent form'

He shakes like a hound emerging from a river, scattering fragments of brick and timber instead of water.

'Running is good, yes, but escaping, no. How shall I ensure one over the other hmm?' he ponders silently 'of course, the ships. Let us begin'

Darkova roars into the sky once more, before stepping from the ruins of his former home and turning in the street towards the docks.

Inevitability
2016-07-17, 01:18 PM
At first, Darkova can advance easily. The gnomes scatter before him, and the few stones thrown at him by brave gnomes (who are suddenly less brave when the beast turns in their direction) bounce off his hide harmlessly.

After rounding another corner, however, the monstrosity spots a group of armed and armored gnomes approaching, numbering about half a dozen. They draw crossbows and prepare to fire. To the back of the group, a robed gnome stands.

The sudden sight of Darkova, however, seems to be something they aren't prepared for. The gnomes take a step back in fear, giving the monster a few seconds to strike first.

I went ahead and rolled initiative for you. If you don't like this, please tell me.

The gnomes are fifty feet away from you.

Crossbowmen: [roll0]
Robed gnome: [roll1]

Darkova, the Consumer: [roll2]

Smeggedoff
2016-07-17, 01:39 PM
Darkova lets loose a throaty chuckle that could easily be taken as a growl, this is the mighty force that stands in his way? He thinks not.
Darkova thrashes his tail and bursts towards the quailing squad, tearing into them as a dervish of tooth, claw and horn, even a tongue flicks out to an improbably length to snare the robed figure hiding to the rear.

I'm fine with you rolling initiative, saves time really

Charge followed by pounce
Bite
[roll0]
[roll1]
Claw
[roll2]
[roll3]
Claw
[roll4]
Horn
[roll5]
[roll6]
Horn
[roll7]
[roll8]
Tongue
[roll9]
no damage
Cleave (if applicable)
[roll10]
Cleave damage is equal to the attack that triggered the cleave, so feel free to roll that when/if resolving
Grapple (if tongue hits)
[roll11]

Inevitability
2016-07-17, 02:33 PM
Darkova rushes forward and falls upon the gnomes. Its claws cut down two of the crossbowgnomes, two more fall to its horns and the last one is bitten in half. The monster's tongue shoots forward, but misses the robed gnome and instead crushes the pavement next to him. The gnome backs away about five feet, getting out of range of Darkova's tongue.

The final remaining gnome looks in disbelief at the carnage ensuing in front of him, then mumbles some arcane words followed by a loud exclamation.

"Chains of the seventh circle of binding! Cometh forth and stop this dreadful foe!"

Dozens of chains silently rise from the ground between Darkova and his final adversary, anchoring themselves to the houses, the ground, and in some cases nothing at all. The resulting wall is twenty feet from side to side and about thirty feet high, higher than Darkova himself. It completely blocks off passage through the street. The gnome, now about fifteen feet away from Darkova, looks through with a smug expression, and prepares to run.

The gnome seemed less than secure when casting his spell.

Rule one of a good apocalypse game: have plenty of redshirts around.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-17, 02:45 PM
Darkova snorts as the smug gnome turns before tearing into the ground, descending rapidly. The ground quakes and shift as Darkova's horns skim the surface like a pair of hungry sharks, slipping underneath the magical barrier before he bursts through the road beneath the mage jaws stretched wide

sense motive (+5 from destroyer if my maths is right)

Bite [roll]1d20+16
damage 3d8+16
grapple1d20+26

Smeggedoff
2016-07-17, 02:53 PM
((ugh))

I'll get back into the swing of not breaking diceroller code eventually, promise
Bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]
grapple [roll2]

Inevitability
2016-07-17, 03:05 PM
The gnome screams as Darkova erupts from the ground, then abruptly stops as he is devoured whole. His barrier of chains flickers for a moment, then disappears.

Darkova has eliminated the entire guard patrol in under ten seconds, leaving nothing but mutilated corpses and splatterings of blood.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-17, 03:18 PM
Darkova purrs in satisfaction as he sets out once more for the docks. Fun is fun, but business is business.

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 05:31 AM
Darkova makes his way to the docks. Two more guard patrols are encountered, but they immediately flee into narrow alleys upon seeing the monstrosity.

As Darkova nears the harbor, he notices a large bird right above him mounted by a gnome. Two large saddlebags hang on either side of the bird. It swoops down, getting within thirty feet of the monster, and the gnome takes something from the bag and flings it at Darkova.

"Hey, meatlump! Can't get me up here, can you?"

A vial filled with greenish liquid smashes on the monster's head and covering it in a vitrolic substance. It burns like acid, except it doesn't burn at all.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

Acid resistance reduces this to 0 damage.

The gnome got a surprise round because it was hidden behind the buildings at the start of its turn. It first rose diagonally, about a hundred feet, moved a bit more, then moved twenty-five down and back up.

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 05:33 AM
Forgot the initiative.

Darkova: [roll0]
Gnome: [roll1]

Smeggedoff
2016-07-18, 07:00 AM
Darkova shakes in an effort to dislodge the foul sludge. It may not hurt, but it's not exactly pleasant.
'no, no I can't' he thinks 'but I have no need'

The beast draws in a mighty breath before releasing a roar that shakes the kingdom, reverberating into the very bones of the sky-knights steed.
As the bird plummets towards his jaws, Darkova takes a moment to ponder why all of his food seems to be coming from above. 'Manna from heaven indeed'

As a note, Darkova can speak common, but I'm keeping most of his monologue internal. I figure "surprise, I can actually understand you" could be a pretty dramatic reveal at some point.

actions
move - Primal Roar - Everythign in a 1000 foot radius for Darkova's current position becomes a zone that pulls any fliers down to 10 feet above the ground at the start of each turn for 10 rounds. The initial ability doesn't describe a save, but a later advancement of the ability describes the DC becoming tougher. I would presume this would be a save of 11+HD+con mod (33) like most of his other abilities.

Standard
Bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]
grapple[roll2]

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 07:19 AM
[roll0]

To its rider's surprise, the hawk starts falling towards the ground, right towards Darkova's waiting jaws. However, the armored bird twists aside at the last moment and Darkova's teeth only scratch its armor.

"What in the name of the ageless kraken was that?"

Its distraught rider quickly steers his bird over the rooftops, but not before throwing one last item at the monster. The small glass vial hits and shatters, spreading a numb sensation through Darkova's forelimb.

Attack roll in the next post.

I believe saving throws are typically 10 + 1/2 HD + con mod, and it is no different for big T. Have you mixed it up with the SR? The adjusted DC would be 27.

The bird uses the withdraw action, so you don't get an AoO.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-18, 07:26 AM
Numbers shifted a bit during stages of CC and at one point I noticed the sheet failed to save properly. I tried to keep everything correct but if you notice in incongruity do let me know. (which reminds me I need to removed that extra 1d6 acid damage from his bite)

Indeed, half HD, so the save for Primal roar would indeed be 27
His spell resistance DOES use full HD though

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 07:27 AM
Attack: [roll0]
On a hit, a DC 17 fortitude save to avoid [roll1] point of dexterity damage must be made, with another save to avoid [roll2] points of dexterity damage after that.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-18, 08:50 AM
Darkova growls at the numbing sensation before scraping the offending fluid on the corner of the nearest building. That gnome was beginning to get annoying.
Confident the mixture was nothing more than an annoyance, Darkova moves on, keeping an eye out for any other surprises

Assuming a flask of poison hits touch ac here.
Save 1 [roll0]
Save 2 [roll1]

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 10:30 AM
Darkova continues moving towards the docks, where several ships already seem to be leaving. Several dire hawks, one of them perhaps carrying the gnome who irked the monster so much, can also be seen rising. Most of them head north or east, but one instead travels southwest, flying a few hundred feet above Darkova.

A minute has passed, so Primal Roar has ended.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-19, 12:48 PM
Darkova eyes the docks warily for a moment, before deciding on a course of action. tearing through the cobbles he once again drops below the streets, tunnelling his way into the harbour in pursuit of the boats.

Darkova can tunnel at a speed of 30ft, while the rules don't specifically state you can't use the run action while using other forms of movement, they state you need to be able to see while you're going, and I don't think tremorsense cuts it.
As such, Darkova uses a free action to activate Rush on his first turn, tunnelling 120ft as a move action, and burning his standard action to do so again
He'll then take moves until he's in the harbour, then his swim speed of 50ft kicks in and he can begin pursuing the ships.
I realise the fliers means that trying to cut off escapees and communication is a fruitless effort (also, magic) but hey, darkova's smart, but not THAT smart

Inevitability
2016-07-19, 01:21 PM
Darkova's underground journey is eventless (and why wouldn't it be?), except for the discovery of an empty cellar, which is filled with rubble and dust once Darkova has passed through.

Then Darkova bursts from the bricks that cover the harbor area. Several ships have already left the harbor, but others are still preparing to set sail. Large crowds of civilians are attempting to board the ships. When they see the beast burst forth from the ground, they either flee, redouble their efforts to get aboard a ship, or draw what little weaponry they have.

Gnomes: [roll0]
Darkova: [roll1]

SRD says:

Movement Modes
Creatures may have modes of movement other than walking and running. These are natural, not magical, unless specifically noted in a monster description.

Burrow
A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

Inevitability
2016-07-19, 01:30 PM
The gnomes brave enough to do so fling a variety of rocks and bricks at the monster, but the objects fail to penetrate his thick hide.

Some gnomes draw crossbows and fire, but even their iron bolts fail to penetrate the monster's hide.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]
[roll8], [roll9]

However, it seems the mass contains more dangerous foes as two spheres filled with reddish water are flung forwards. Some primal instinct, or perhaps a memory from his gnomish life, tells Darkova he'd best avoid them. One of the spheres, however, strikes him near his eyes, and the fluid from within starts dripping into them.

[roll10] If hit (touch attack), make a DC 15 reflex save or be blinded for [roll11] rounds.
[roll12]. If hit (touch attack), make a DC 15 reflex save or be blinded for [roll13] rounds.

Other gnomes simply flee. A few jump in the water, others try to escape through narrow alleys (which this city seems to have an unnecessary amount of).

Smeggedoff
2016-07-19, 01:58 PM
Darkova twitches as the liquid splatters over his brow, narrowly avoided getting the sludge in his eyes. Hissing like an enraged cat he takes a mighty leap into the cold waters of the sea attempting to catch any ship he can before they build up enough speed to escape

reflex - [roll0]

Inevitability
2016-07-19, 02:40 PM
With a mighty splash, Darkova enters the sea, crushing a rowboat and half a dozen gnomes who sought refuge in the harbor. The monster then begins to swim away, to the collective delight of the dozens of gnomes gathered in the harbor square.

The ship's crew is slightly less delighted. They row as fast as possible, yet Darkova is gaining on them.

When the distance between the ship and the monster is no more than a few hundred feet, the ship suddenly turns its side to the monster. Several ports open, and iron tubes are extended from them. Before Darkova can react, a thunderous sound resonates and fire and smoke blast forward from the tubes.

[roll0] for [roll1] points of damage.
[roll2] for [roll3] points of damage.
[roll4] for [roll5] points of damage.
[roll6] for [roll7] points of damage.

Distance to the ship is 750 feet.

Also, STEAMPUNK GNOME CANNONS AW YEAH. I need to keep you challenged somehow, need I not? Though with such bad accuracy I doubt I'll be able to.

Inevitability
2016-07-19, 02:43 PM
Two natural twenties, so two automatic hits. I take back anything I said about bad accuracy. After DR, that's 16 points of damage. The attacks weren't crits either, so you'll just regen it, but still, it can bleed!

Rolls to confirm (yeah, that'll happen):

[roll0] for [roll1] extra damage.
[roll2] for [roll3] extra damage.

Inevitability
2016-07-19, 02:44 PM
As two of the cannonballs hit Darkova square, cheers can be heard from both the gnome ship and the harbor. The heavy iron projectiles crack open Darkova's scales, bruising the flesh and muscle beneath. Blackish blood pours forth, giving the water an ugly look.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-19, 03:30 PM
Darkova lets forth a rumbling growl and spears towards the ship, striking below the waterline

augh seriously? I typed up a big thing and it got deleted
regen 5 - 11 subdual damage remains

Gonna go for the break DC (which you'll need to set), unlikely to succeed since the +8 from huge size only applies to doors but I might get lucky and one shot it.
[roll0]
Lemme know if you'd rather handle attempting to sink the ship differently.

Inevitability
2016-07-20, 03:54 AM
The ship is still 750 feet away. With Rush, you could get next to it (50 feet swim speed multiplied by four for Rush, then taking the Run action, but you wouldn't be able to attack in the same round.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-20, 08:04 AM
Ah sorry, yeah, Then my actions consist of move/move until I get within range. I don't really have ranged attacks barring Primal roar but I doubt that'd do anything to a ship

Inevitability
2016-07-20, 10:02 AM
Darkova swims at incredible speeds, crossing the distance between it and the ship in a matter of seconds. The screams of terrified gnomes can be heard: it is a sound the monster has gotten used to.

"It's too fast! I don't want to die yet!"
"It took two cannonballs to the face and it's still standing? What's that beast made of?"
"It's... it's healing! It's healing its wounds!"
"Mommy, what's happening?"

From the ship, several crossbow bolts are fired at Darkova. All fail to hurt the beast.

[roll0] for [roll1] damage.
[roll2] for [roll3] damage.
[roll4] for [roll5] damage.
[roll6] for [roll7] damage.
[roll8] for [roll9] damage.

Who knows, the ship may be a dragon disguised by an illusion. What? This is the second most likely place for such a thing to happen. :smalltongue:

Smeggedoff
2016-07-20, 01:39 PM
Darkova shudders as the toothpicks splinter on his hide, the sound of terror music to his ears. He finds himself shivering in anticipation and readies to crack the hull like an egg.

regen 5 down to 6 subdual

Oh yeah, you described the gnomes as using magic and illusions to keep away sea monsters. I'm half expecting +1 ships of spell storing, or giant mimics trained to carry passengers. Some sort of trained sea monster covered by an illusion is completely within the realm of possibility.

There's a break attempt in a previous post, unless you'd like me to reroll. Of course if the ship does turn out to be some sort of beastie then I'll make attack rolls

Inevitability
2016-07-20, 02:02 PM
I'm using some Stormwrack rules, so destroying ships is done by attacking different sections. A strength check won't work.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-20, 05:07 PM
Ok, cool. I don't have access to that book right now so lemme know if there are any foibles to the way it handles things.
Bite [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Claw[roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Claw[roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Horn[roll6]
Damage [roll7]
Horn[roll8]
Damage [roll9]

currently regretting NOT getting the ring that makes my attacks adamantine, and wondering if it's possible to grapple a ship

Inevitability
2016-07-21, 01:53 AM
Darkova tears into the sturdy side of the ship, tearing wood but not yet breaching the hull.

Above him, voices can be heard screaming.

"It's breaking the hull! We're doomed!"
"Someone reload the damn cannons!"
"Help me lower this rowboat! We need to get off the ship!"
"Not in a rowboat! We'll be sitting ducks!"
"Will someone just fire the cannons?"

Both crossbowgnomes and cannon-attenders are reloading this turn.

Also, you have heavily damaged one hull section, but it's not down yet.

By the way, any particular reason your horn attacks didn't get your strength modifier to damage?

Smeggedoff
2016-07-21, 09:46 AM
regen 5, back to full
in regards to the horn attacks, simply because the class progression doesn't say I do (I can admit that they're not without error though, for instance the comments box on the tarrasque imply it has full bab, when the table states it has 3/4). For the bite and claws it lists the extra damage, but the for the horns (and later the tail) it doesn't. A little searching around implies that all my secondary attacks should be doing +0.5 str mod, but I can't find an entry in the srd to back it up (unless you count the mosnter entry for big T having +8 to all his secondary attacks)
Looking at it again, though, it could be that the claws are the exeption (being stated to do full str mod damage) and that the rest are supposed to follow the standard rules for secondary attacks
I'll go by your ruling really.

Tally ho, let's sink this barge so I can get back to terrorising the city, this "let no-one escape" plan's gone a bit belly-up frankly

full attack
bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]
claw [roll2]
damage [roll3]
claw [roll4]
damage [roll5]
horn [roll6]
damage [roll7]
horn [roll8]
damage [roll9]

Inevitability
2016-07-21, 09:58 AM
Planks break and ropes snap as Darkova breaches the hull. While the damage is insufficient to sink the ship outright, the water now gushing in should do so given enough time.

Gnomes cry out in terror. Several of the crossbowmen seem to have run off, judging by the number of bolts now shot at Darkova. As usual, all fail to even slightly damage the beast.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Smeggedoff
2016-07-22, 05:05 PM
Darkova snorts in derision. He's wasted too much time on this diversion, ships are more sturdy than he initially though. Still if this one doesn't sink, he'll hopefully have delayed it long enough that he can follw it to it's destination after he tears apart the city some more.

Darkova turns back to the harbour and sinks to the ocean bed before heading inland. no point allowing any more pesky archers to take potshots, even as invulnerable as he is.

Inevitability
2016-07-22, 11:31 PM
Darkova starts swimming far below the surface and returns to the harbor without incident, save for an encounter with a particularly confused salmon.

The harbor is now largely empty. A single ship is desparately struggling to take off and doesn't seem to have noticed Darkova yet. Strangely, the sounds the monster can hear coming from it are not gnomish in nature, but goblinoid.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-24, 12:11 PM
Intrigued, Darkova swims closer to the goblin ship as stealthily as possible, hide rippling in a series of colours reminiscent of the roiling sea.
Goblins, an oddity in a city of gnomes, but not necessarily anything to devote much attention to.
If nothing else, they should taste different.

sorry for slower posts over the last day or so, night shifts throw me for a loop.

Darkova's going to see if there's anything to this goblin ship that dare remain. Potential allies or tasty lunchbox? who knows
hide [roll0]
move silently [roll1]
listen [roll2]

Inevitability
2016-07-24, 01:32 PM
Darkova approaches unnaturally stealthy for a creature of his bulk, and manages to move under the goblin ship without getting noticed. He can hear several goblins above him, all shouting at each other in the common language.

"Where did the monster go? Did it drown?"
"You can either jump in the water and check for yourself or get back to raising the sails! I don't want to be here when it returns!"
"Join the trade fleet, they said... See the world, they said... I should've known a sea monster was going to kill me."

Smeggedoff
2016-07-24, 11:31 PM
'bah, more cowardly morsels, simply slower than most. no matter' Darkova thinks
Surfacing once more Darkova bellows in challenge before making his way back into the town to wreak more havoc and fill his stomach

Inevitability
2016-07-25, 12:18 AM
The 'cowardly morsels' react predictably to Darkova suddenly rising: by panicking and running. The ship's crew starts working even faster, desparate to get away as soon as possible.

I'm sorry, but it was a bit unclear. Do you intend to attack this ship, or leave it alone?

Smeggedoff
2016-07-25, 09:41 AM
I was planning on leaving it alone. I considered biting off the rudder or something but decided to just get on with sacking the city

Inevitability
2016-07-25, 10:38 AM
Darkova continues his rampage, and the goblin ships sails away. Far in the distance, the gnome ship sinks.

How about we skip ahead a bit? There isn't really anyone anymore who poses a real threat to you in this city, and having you destroy a few hundred buildings step-by-step would be boring.

If there's something you're looking for in particular, or something you want to do, just say so.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-27, 07:30 AM
Nah, works for me. Might be best if we just say I followed/stuck to the bottom of the goblin ship to get to the next area then.

Inevitability
2016-07-27, 08:19 AM
Darkova lays waste to the town, then starts swimming in the direction the goblin ship went: west. Before long, he starts overtaking the ship, which is forced to row due to a lack of wind.

Darkova knows the position of the gnomish islands, and strangely they seem to be traveling to none of them. The nearest island is south of them, all other major gnomish cities east. Even if the goblins were traveling to the furthest of the gnomish lands, their course should be more southwards.

Just checking if you still want to follow the ship. It hasn't spotted you, for the record.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-27, 02:58 PM
Darkova is curious as to where the morsels row their boat, and glides unseen in their wake. He does so hope they hurry up however, curiosity will not sate him for long, and his stomach bids him sink them and chew their bones in salt brine.
After all, the gnomes and their islands are not going anywhere.

Yep, still following the goblins. If Darkova knows where the gnomish islands are then he can get back there if this turns out to be a crapshoot.
The main thing that would have me turning tail is accidentally encroaching on another characters starting zone, gots ta be sorting out my own business before tramping around in anyone elses

Inevitability
2016-07-28, 04:11 AM
For a day does Darkova follow the ship. No land but a few desert islands is visible during that time. Wherever the vessel is going, it must be quite distant.

You estimate you have covered about twenty miles.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-28, 04:09 PM
Darkova is now annoyed, hungry, and still curious. About how the ship is keeping away other sea monsters if nothing else

Inevitability
2016-07-29, 04:08 AM
The ship continues voyaging west for several days. After some time, a favorable wind starts blowing, and the ship travels faster from then on.

After seven more days, the ship finally reaches its destination: a large port city bordered by desert. Goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears and bhukas are everywhere, some of them building or repairing ships, others loading goods, overseeing the workplaces or just walking around. A few are manning the four massive ballistas at the harbor entrance.

A warm breeze gently stirs the air as the ship Darkova has been following enters the port and begins to dock.

Smeggedoff
2016-07-29, 09:58 AM
Darkova seethes with resentment and hunger. 7 days, 7 days for this? He could have been destroying gnomes for a week, longer if you count the time it would take for him to get back.
These arrogant goblins will pay for leading him on, oh yes.

Staying near the ocean bed Darkova begins to burrow into the rock the harbour sits upon, no need to take chances, the ballista must go first.

Gosh darnit, I don't know what I even expected.

As written, Darkova's going to use tremorsense and memory while burrowing to come up under the ballista one at a time. they'll be alert after the first, but at least it should be hard for them to get a clear shot.

Here's an attack roll for when he gets to no1, lemme know if you want me to roll anything else like a new move silently
bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Incidentally I'm visiting family until sunday, so if I don't manage to post between now and monday that's why (I will try though)

Inevitability
2016-07-29, 12:14 PM
Darkova burrows through the bedrock, then bursts up, crushing the ballista (and one unlucky hobgoblin) in his jaws. Screams of panic sound, especially from the ship the abomination has been chasing all this time.

As nearby goblinoids run away in panic, Darkova can see the other ballistae being aimed at him.

Gosh darnit, I don't know what I even exepected.

A secret goblin city filled with candy? :smalltongue:

Smeggedoff
2016-08-02, 08:25 AM
And I'm back, sorry for the absence.
Quick question, how far apart are the ballistae?

A secret goblin city filled with candy? :smalltongue:
...is there candy? you wouldn't joke about that right? RIGHT!?

Inevitability
2016-08-02, 10:29 AM
They're about 80 feet from each other.

Smeggedoff
2016-08-03, 01:51 PM
Darkova lets out a roar into the sky and dives back below the ground

On reflection the extra panic from the guys on the ship almost make this worth it. It's entirely tempting to let them go again and follow them to destination 3 just for shiggles

Anyhoo burrowing toward the next ballista

Inevitability
2016-08-03, 02:40 PM
Being underground on its way to the next ballista, Darkova can't exactly follow what's going on in the city. It's keen ears do pick up a number of exclamations, though.

"A monster! A monster! It's come to devour us!"
"The salt god is displeased!"
"It's attacking the ballista! Get away from the harbor!"
"IT'S THAT MONSTER AGAIN! IT'S FOLLOWED US! WE'RE DOOMED!"

If you do so, I reserve the right to turn one of the goblins into an Ahab-esque monster hunter driven mad by his desire to slay you. Yes, he will actually quote Ahab.

Smeggedoff
2016-08-03, 03:13 PM
Darkova chuckles darkly before lunging for the surface. their terror is delicious, but a bast cannot live on satisfaction alone.

bite: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]

"IT'S THAT MONSTER AGAIN! IT'S FOLLOWED US! WE'RE DOOMED!"
"Dude, shut up" "wait, that thing followed you guys?" "fffffff-"

If you do so, I reserve the right to turn one of the goblins into an Ahab-esque monster hunter driven mad by his desire to slay you. Yes, he will actually quote Ahab.
bwehehe, sounds good to me. I'm assuming some sort of opponent will appear at some point, it can't all be cakewalk. I was expecting shining paladins, but insane revenge-obsessed sailors are fine too

Inevitability
2016-08-03, 03:25 PM
The ballista is thoroughly crushed by Darkova's jaws. People can be seen running up to the two remaining ones, but Darkova knows they won't reach it fast enough.

About two hundred feet away, the goblin ship begins to leave the harbor. Fortunately for the sailors, they were still ready to set sail.

Insane goblin Ahab it is!

Also, there are people currently aiming the ballistas, but you can take another turn before they can actually fire.

Smeggedoff
2016-08-04, 12:17 PM
Darkova charges one of the remaining ballista with a roar aiming to crush the seige engine like the rest.

bite: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]

Standing over his target he glares at the fourth machine, daring it's operator to take his best shot

Inevitability
2016-08-04, 02:32 PM
Darkova charges the third ballista, crushing a small warehouse as he does so. The siege engine, as well as the brave hobgoblin desperately trying to aim it, is crushed.

The hobgoblin mounting the fourth ballista jumps off and runs. However, he is replaced by a bugbear who roars something in a language Darkova doesn't understand before releasing the bolt. It sails through the air, and then, with a mighty sound...

Damage: [roll1]

It harmlessly bounces of Darkova's hide.

Inevitability
2016-08-18, 01:50 AM
Hey, Smeggedoff, I was wondering if you could perhaps post again? If not, could you explain the reason for your continued absence?

Smeggedoff
2016-08-23, 06:55 AM
Darkova pauses to look at the bolt, and then up at the bugbear condescendingly before lashing out with his tongue.

tongue lash: [roll0]
grapple (if successful): [roll1]

Right so, I can only really apologise. As stated in my pm I foolishly thought I was waiting on a post from you, fuelled by the misremembered fact that someone had said they were going to gencon (blackhawk, as it turns out) so I assumed (thus making an ass out of myself) that it must have been you.
This all could have been solved by me just, well, checking.
As a secondary note, I didn't get an e-mail informing me you'd pmed me, that was sheer luck tbh, but that's neither here nor there

Inevitability
2016-08-23, 09:53 AM
The bugbear roars and struggles before being devoured by Darkova. Citizens are now fleeing in all directions, calling for the guards, adventurers, anyone who can help them.

Smeggedoff
2016-08-24, 08:38 AM
Darkova roars to the heavens and, deciding to make a show of things, moves to the city gate and begins to bring his might to bear smashing blow upon blow onto the construction

Inevitability
2016-08-24, 11:14 AM
A few arrows and bolts plink off Darkova's hide as he makes his way past, or rather through, the sandstone buildings. The city gate is thoroughly smashed.

Smeggedoff
2016-08-26, 06:17 AM
Darkova shook his head in derision. Such a weak gate, do these monsters not care for the safety of their people? for shame, for shame.
He casts his gaze to the revealed skyline of the unfamiliar city, a simple gnome beast such as he couldn't possibly be familiar with such a thing as a goblin city from across the ocean.

Darkova shuffles into the city searching for a challenge, and to fill his belly.

What does a kaiju in a strange land usually do? visit the national monuments and destroy them of course, time to sightsee!

Inevitability
2016-08-27, 05:02 AM
Darkova enters the city, intent on some rampaging.

Between you and me: there isn't really a lot in this city that can threaten you, so shall we skip past you smashing up some buildings and eating fleeing civilians? It's okay if you'd rather not.

Smeggedoff
2016-08-28, 02:09 PM
That's fine with me, I don't mind skipping forward if there's little to be gained by playing it out long-form. Unless you have better sufggestions then, Darkova will head back out to sea, probably returning to home waters to harass the gnomes (who'll hopefully be relaxed and thinking he's gone)

Inevitability
2016-08-29, 02:44 PM
The port city is ravaged. A few squads of guards try to kill Darkova, but their feeble attempts all fail.

Darkova then returns to the seas. He can go west, where the goblin ship went, or to the far east, where the gnome civilization remains.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-01, 05:33 AM
Darkova slips into the dark sea once more. Preparing himself to return to his homelands he stops and considers for a second.
Grinning darkly he turns and swims in the long settled wake of a familiar vessel

Oooh, trolling the goblins is too tempting to pass up. The gnomes can wait.

Inevitability
2016-09-01, 01:51 PM
Once more Darkova locates the ship, which seems to have continued its westward course. This time, the ship is relying on both sail and oar to move, which makes it harder (albeit not impossible) to keep up with it.

As the monster approaches, it notices something stirring beneath it. A glance down reveals a monstrous squid, at least as big as Darkova himself, rapidly rising from the depths of the ocean. Its maw opens and closes hungrily.

Squid: [roll1]

The squid uses its movement to propel itself 320 feet towards Darkova, so it's currently about 30 feet below the beast.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-02, 02:35 PM
Darkova eyes the squamous beast with an appraising eye. Considering how long he's been in the sea, he's surprised this is the first beast to attack.
Deciding it would be better to try and fight the monster below the water so as to not alert the ship to his presence Darkova tumbles to point down before thrashing his powerful tail to meet the squids charge with his own.
"besides" he thinks, stomach growling "fresh calamari sounds delicious"

Can you make a charge action while swimming? Nothing immediately jumps out at me under charging, swimming, or swim speed on the srd but I've been known to miss obvious things before.

I'll just move>Attack normally since I'm not sure

bite: [dice]1d20+16[/roll] (derp, the reroll in the ooc thread came out as 29)
damage: [roll0]

Inevitability
2016-09-03, 12:47 AM
Darkova propels itself down to sink its teeth into the squid, but the sea beast lashes out with a tentacle before he reaches it. It fails to properly connect, though, and Darkova moves past and bites his adversary.

Assuming this hits, grapple check:
[roll2]

Rolling for Darkova to save time:

[roll3]

Note that failure means Darkova can't move to continue the charge.

Inevitability
2016-09-03, 12:51 AM
Then the squid attacks, its ten arms trying to enwrap Darkova. Once more Darkova's hide proves too tough, though.

Tentacles (tentacles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0URLGsf1e0)!):

Attack roll: [roll0]
Grapple check: [roll2]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll3]

Attack roll: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Grapple check: [roll6]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll7]

Attack roll: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Grapple check: [roll10]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll11]

Attack roll: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Grapple check: [roll14]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll15]

Attack roll: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Grapple check: [roll18]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll19]

Attack roll: [roll20]
Damage: [roll21]
Grapple check: [roll22]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll23]

Attack roll: [roll24]
Damage: [roll25]
Grapple check: [roll26]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll27]

Attack roll: [roll28]
Damage: [roll29]
Grapple check: [roll30]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll31]

Attack roll: [roll32]
Damage: [roll33]
Grapple check: [roll34]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll35]

Attack roll: [roll36]
Damage: [roll37]
Grapple check: [roll38]
Constrict damage (if grapple works): [roll39]

Bite:
Attack roll: [roll40]
Damage: [roll41]

Smeggedoff
2016-09-04, 03:44 PM
Darkova's lust for whatever ichor the beast has pumping through his veins blinds him to its thrashing tentacles.
Most glance off his hide like almost everything else, but one latches tightly to his form.

aaactually, for the sake of honesty, that 7th tentacle hits due to Darkova's flaw (which, unless he nips off to murder a harp seal or something, is pretty much a permanent -2 to ac for this fight [or indeed, all single target fights])

Inevitability
2016-09-06, 07:50 AM
Okay. In that case, you take some regular and constrict (assuming DR doesn't completely negate it) and can then take your turn as normal. Remember, you're still grappled.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-06, 08:31 AM
Darkova lets out a subvocal growl into the murky water as the tentacles attempt to crush his mighty form. He feels bone splinter and shift back into place almost constantly as the squid works against his regeneration.
Darkova lunges as best he can, attempting to lock his teeth onto something vital in the writhing mass
"let's see if you grow pieces back"

coo, so I take 16 subdualdamage ([13-5]+[13-5]) and regenerate 5 at the beginning of my turn which I begin grappled.
I figger if I manage to escape the grapple it'll just try and grab me again, so let's just do damage while I'm in close
Bite [roll0]
damage if successful [roll1]

Inevitability
2016-09-06, 12:51 PM
The squid spasms as another powerful bite rends its flesh. It's purplish blood discolors the waters around Darkova.

Suddenly, a cloud of black fluid appears around the squid. Moments later, Darkova feels its tentacle let go of him, then a rush of water as the squid propels itself away from him.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-06, 01:09 PM
"Too tough to chew eh? You think me easy sport but think to flee when outmatched? No. No, I don't think so."

Darkova screams, a pulse rushing outwards from his mighty lungs before drawing backwards with a heave of his chest. The formerly turbulent currents begin rushing in to a central point, the maw of the devourer.

11 sdamage regens to 6
Move Action - Primal Roar
DC27 (But I'm not sure what type of save) or treat the tarrasque as the ground, causing everything underwater within (let's say, 300 feet) to 'fall' towards him, stopping 10 feet away.
the effect continues for 10 rounds.

Should the squid fail the save it will be pulled back into range of Darkova's bite
bite [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

Inevitability
2016-09-07, 08:50 AM
I'm fairly sure an ocean doesn't count as a place 'without discernable ground'. The elemental plane of water was given as an example because that place has no bottom or surface, but this ocean has both.

Even if I ruled you'd be able to draw underwater foes towards yourself, the squid has already moved out of range (320 feet, as per the Giant Squid's jet ability). Darkova doesn't know this, though, because he can't detect enemies that far away when his normal vision is muddled.

Darkova's roar disturbs the water, but fails to draw the squid towards him as he hoped.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-07, 09:22 AM
Darkova growls in frustration when his prey is not dragged screaming towards him, apparently his control over gravity was not as precise as he'd initially though.
Darkova moves to clear himself of the ink cloud and tries to spot the goblin ship once again

I'm fairly sure an ocean doesn't count as a place 'without discernable ground'. The elemental plane of water was given as an example because that place has no bottom or surface, but this ocean has both.

Even if I ruled you'd be able to draw underwater foes towards yourself, the squid has already moved out of range (320 feet, as per the Giant Squid's jet ability). Darkova doesn't know this, though, because he can't detect enemies that far away when his normal vision is muddled.

Darkova's roar disturbs the water, but fails to draw the squid towards him as he hoped.

Perfectly acceptable ruling. That was mainly why I hadn't used it to try and drag the ship down earlier, but I thought it might work with two swimming entities who are fighting completely underwater. The range thing is also entirely fair, I made a guess at a range (and thought I was overestimating in fact) not wanting to use the maximum range and accidentally alert the goblin vessel. Oh well.

Inevitability
2016-09-07, 11:00 AM
The goblin ship is still sailing west. If it noticed anything, it's not apparent at this distance.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-07, 11:05 AM
Darkova begins following once again, grumbling to himself about the lost meal

Inevitability
2016-09-08, 03:33 AM
The ship eventually arrives at yet another port, this one far greater than the last. Impressive towers and a thick wall surround a great city. Outside the walls is a great harbor area with a number of warships anchored. Here, too, goblinoids can be seen everywhere.

Darkova's quarry rows towards the harbor. As soon as it enters, someone can be seen jumping off and running towards the city walls.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-10, 06:26 PM
Darkova ponders the city for a short while, ideas of mischief running through his head.
His grumbling stomach pushes such thoughts from his head however as, he supposes, it should be.

Darkova shoulders his way onto the dock next to the goblin ship causing it to sway in his wake. Roaring his presence he shakes to removes the extra water from his fur and begins stomping towards the gate of the city, interested in what resistance this one will put up.

sorry, sorry, sorry
Basically move actions out of the sea towards the gate rather than pounding his head on solid rock >_<

((this of course is my previously announced action, which I have realised cannot be done, I'm saving it here for posterity))
Darkova ponders the city for a short while, ideas of mischief running through his head.
His grumbling stomach pushes such thoughts from his head however as, he supposes, it should be.

Staying at the sea bed darkova once more begins tunneling into the foundations of the grand city, deciding to start raising cain withing the walls this time.
Perhaps he's knock over one of those impressive towers.

Sorry for the slow reply on this one, I had a bit of trouble deciding what to do.
Basically I couldn't decide whether to try and hamper the warships (tearing off rudders, tying anchor chains together like shoelaces, whatever), or to just emerge from the harbour and start eating sailors, or whether to start by sneaking into the city to climb the tallest tower and roar to the heavens.

Then I remembered I'm playing a hungry kaiju with an int of 12 who's been at sea with nothing to eat but a mouthful of squid for ages.
So I split the difference and went with something a little impulsive, but behind the obvious defensive line.

Inevitability
2016-09-11, 09:58 AM
People begin screaming as Darkova climbs on the dock. People call for the guards or adventurers, but no solid offensive is mounted... yet.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-12, 12:20 PM
blink blink
Oh, you see, now that you phrase it like that I suddenly realised that I can't do that. Apparently creatures with a burrow speed can't burrow through solid rock unless their entry says they can. and I don't have a specific exception, so I can't.
Sorry, it only occurred to me because the pruple worm class DOES eventually have a specific exception for that and I was reading it recently.
*sigh*
Terrible sorry, in thaaaaat case let me do a small amount of retconjuration

Inevitability
2016-09-13, 03:01 PM
Post edited.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-15, 12:52 PM
Darkova roars again moving slowly over the dock towards the city gates

Inevitability
2016-09-15, 03:11 PM
Before Darkova can reach the gates, it can hear a mechanism snapping into place. Moments later, a small wooden cask crashes down, covering the area near Darkova with reddish goo. Moments later, the slime combusts, engulfing the area in flames.

Aiming at a 5-ft intersection (AC 5).

Damage: [roll1] fire damage, reflex save (DC 15) for half.

Darkova can now see several of the nearby warships have small mounted catapults. On one of them, anchored a good hundred feet away from him, goblins are busily reloading the weapon.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-15, 07:04 PM
Darkova attempts to leap out of the way of the cask
After it splatters he sniffs curiously at the goo, snorting in annoyance when it ignites
'what is it with little two legs and throwing sticky unpleasantness into my fur?' he grouses inwardly
as the flames lick harmlessly at his fur he glances at the ship in contempt

Reflex [roll0] although the low damage roll means that even taking full damage, Darkova takes no damage due to fire resist 10

Quick Question, how far away is the ship that's shelling darkova, and similarly how far away is the gate/wall?

Inevitability
2016-09-16, 05:42 AM
Both are about a hundred feet away.

There's no immediate threat (forgot about fire resistance), so shall we skip ahead a bit and let Darkova trash a ship/warehouse or two? It would time out real well with something I'm trying to make happen.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-16, 10:57 AM
works for me

Inevitability
2016-09-17, 02:25 PM
Darkova rampages through the harbor. The few guards brave (or stupid) enough to face it are crushed beneath it, the merchants, sailors and slaves not fast enough to escape it suffer the same fate. A warehouse is torn down by the monster, smashing dozens of barrels filled with wine and grain. Moments later, a warship is torn to pieces.

Then, the monster feels its gaze involuntarily shift upwards, to the wall from which a few halfhearted attempts to hurt it have been made. There, hidden in the shadows, Darkova spots a being staring at it.

It looks much like a pale, faceless humanoid (http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ZZ1.jpg), two large wings attached to its shoulderblades. Yet at the same time, Darkova can see something else in its place: a smiling robed human with its eyes, mouth and nostrils sewn shut. Despite it being somehow recognizable as unreal, the second image is unnerving indeed.

The illusory image suddenly disappears, and the actual being retreats back into the shadows.

With sudden clarity, Darkova knows the being up there is not of this world.

Please post in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500912-You-are-the-Apocalypse-Battle-of-the-Harbor&p=21212997#post21212997) until I tell you to switch back to this one.

Inevitability
2016-10-12, 12:44 PM
Darkova stealthily moves down the hallway once more. No doors made for his size can be found, but should the monster wish to leave it could easily knock down a few walls.

Actually, Death Attack isn't a death effect. Even if we assumed it was, Death Ward says:

The subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.

Death Attack isn't a spell, nor is it magical (the Deathstalker of Bhaal version explicitly is (ex)). It isn't said to use energy drain or negative energy anywhere, either, so Death Ward wouldn't protect against it.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-12, 12:52 PM
Darkova stealthily moves down the hallway once more. No doors made for his size can be found, but should the monster wish to leave it could easily knock down a few walls.

Actually, Death Attack isn't a death effect. Even if we assumed it was, Death Ward says:

Death Attack isn't a spell, nor is it magical (the Deathstalker of Bhaal version explicitly is (ex)). It isn't said to use energy drain or negative energy anywhere, either, so Death Ward wouldn't protect against it.

Oh. Well I'm glad I didn't have to test my Fort save then. Darkova's going to stay stealthy as he heads back out to sea, it'll sow confusion better if he just vanishes

Inevitability
2016-10-12, 01:55 PM
How are you leaving the hallway? Magical powers notwithstanding, it seems rather hard to stealthily break down a wall. :smalltongue:

Turning around to move through the previously created path is of course possible, but requires passing by Malkarim again.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-12, 02:18 PM
Oh, did the way I took in collapse behind me? I suppose I'll burrow out unless the building foundations are solid rock

Inevitability
2016-10-13, 01:08 AM
Darkova stealthily moves back through the holes he made and out in the streets. Hobgoblins are scaredly staring at the palace, clearly not willing to investigate why the smashing noises have stopped.

Eventually, the monster arrives back at the harbor.

No, the large gaping hole in the floor is still there, and you could leave through it. I was just assuming you were walking away from it. My mistake.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-13, 06:19 AM
Darkova takes a moment to assess the harbour to see if a familiar ship should still be near, before slipping into the water to head back to the islands from whence he came

Inevitability
2016-10-13, 01:46 PM
The goblin ship doesn't seem to be within sight anymore.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-14, 11:40 AM
Darkova huffs. Oh well, new toys to play with will surely appear.

Darkova begins his journey back to his gnomelands

Inevitability
2016-10-14, 11:58 AM
The journey back takes many days, but eventually Darkova spots the gnomish islands on the far horizon. A few ships can also be seen.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-16, 02:50 PM
Darkova swims closer to examine the ships as stealthily as possible, the catapults last time were surprising, if harmless, but fool me twice...

hide [roll0]
move silently [roll1]

As a side note, I'm out of town for a week visiting family. I had intended to keep abreast of things and post on my laptop, but upon arriving have forgotten to pack my charging cable. This leaves me with only my phone (unless I can find a replacement), which I don't usually receive email on so please be patient with me.

Inevitability
2016-10-17, 12:30 AM
All ships seem to have at least one of the weapons that previously hurt Darkova.

Okay, good to know.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-18, 03:35 AM
Darkova swims slowly to the nearest armed ship and sets about quietly chewing through the rudder and anchor chain

Inevitability
2016-10-18, 10:26 AM
The chain is strong, but not invincible, and is soon broken. Darkova having teeth the size of swords also helps.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-24, 06:14 AM
Darkova grins and swims to the next ship to repeat the process

Terribly sorry, back home now so regular updates should recommence

Inevitability
2016-10-24, 02:58 PM
Ship after ship has its anchor chain and rudder broken.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-24, 03:43 PM
Happy that the ships should have a bit more trouble, Darkova swims to the docks, climbs out of the sea, and greets the gnomes with an earth-shattering roar

Inevitability
2016-10-25, 02:54 PM
Darkova's appearance instills terror in the gnomes. Some flee into the city screaming, others jump into the harbor. A few try to hide behind carts.

"The monster! It's back!"

Smeggedoff
2016-10-25, 05:01 PM
Darkova preens and begins making his way to the city gates, smashing anything in his way

Inevitability
2016-10-26, 12:42 PM
Darkova smashes through the city streets when the monster notices something strange. On the outskirts of the city, a monster very similar in appearance to him (though smaller) seems to be moving. It throws its head back and roars, the sound still deafening even from hundreds of feet.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-26, 02:03 PM
Darkova stops in surprise before narrowing his eyes

I mean really, after the mix up with that shade, what are the odds of the same thing happening when he returns home.

Darkova immediately changes course and begins rampaging towards the runt

Inevitability
2016-10-27, 04:39 AM
The smaller beast begins moving away from Darkova, into the rough, mountainous area that makes up the island's heart.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-27, 04:43 AM
Could this be a trap? Darkova ponders, Likely, unless I have somehow spawned

Darkova continues to follow the beast, bolstered by the confidence that nothing has yet managed to seriously harm him

Inevitability
2016-10-28, 02:38 PM
The smaller beast moves over a rocky flatter area, then turns and stares at Darkova. It's hard to read a twisted, shadowy monster's expression, but it gaze looks somewhat mocking.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-28, 07:33 PM
Sneering at the beast, Darkova remembers the feeling of otherworldlyness that was present when he met Malkarim.

He roars in challenge.
There's nothing special about this upstart, this imposter, let him come.

Inevitability
2016-10-29, 08:39 AM
The other beast roars, but doesn't approach. In fact, it seems to be slowly moving backwards.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-29, 03:16 PM
Darkova charges the beast

There's no way this isn't a trap of some kind and I fully expect to fall down a giant pit, or find out the monster is an illusion that turns out to be a giant dummy made of books of explosive runes or something.

charge/pounce

Bite:[roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]
Claw:[roll2]
Dmg:[roll3]
Claw:[roll4]
Dmg:[roll5]
Horn:[roll6]
Dmg:[roll7]
Horn:[roll8]
Dmg:[roll9]
Tongue[roll10]

Grapple[roll11]

(I need to save that code so I can copy/paste it)

Inevitability
2016-10-30, 09:19 AM
Mid-charge, Darkova suddenly notices there's no ground beneath his front legs, despite it appearing to be there. The beast stumbles and falls into what appears to be a giant pit covered by a simple illusion, smacking to the ground several dozen feet lower.

Darkova taking damage? What madness is this?

[roll0]

Far above him, a boastful gnomish voice calls out:

"I got 'im! They called me mad, but who's got the titanic darkbeast captured now?"

This is followed by a bout of laughter Darkova might've found rather disconcerting if he weren't a nearly-immortal incarnation of fear.

Gee, how'd you guess? :smalltongue:

As you may have derived already, the pit is 60 feet deep.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-30, 09:45 AM
Darkova rolls to his feet and shakes the dirt out of his fur, looking up at the gnome he growls and tries his best to look helpless and trapped

bluff check?
[roll0]

you know, I completely forgot gnomes specialised in illusion. huh.
What are the walls of the pit made from?

Darkova took 16 damage lessened to 11 which will be reduced to 6 on his turn (unless you already factored in DR somehow)

Inevitability
2016-10-31, 11:48 AM
"Just you stay down there, beastie! I wonder whether yer edible?"

Still cackling (and apparently convinced by Darkova's deception) the gnome can be heard walking off. The illusion covering the pit disappears, giving the monster a look of the sky.

Rock.

Also, DR only reduces damage from weapons and natural attacks. Says right so in the SRD description. Not that it matters much, but still.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-31, 12:18 PM
Darkova chuffs in amusement.
A Hole?
If Darkova wanted to he could devour the world beginning at the bottom of this shallow divot, but that would be slow and unseemly.

As soon as the gnome vanishes from the lip of the pit, Darkova crouches on his powerful haunches and launches himself up the side of the pit, clawing at the walls for purchase and channelling the rage at being hurt by such a shallow divot.

Well I'll be. How odd. Oh well, helps me get out of the pit that much faster if I'm estimating the DC's correctly
16 damage, reduced to 11 by fast healing
Darkova will take 2 moves actions. Double move. Both Fast Climb

Darkova gets +19 to his check and a further +1 for taking 10 damage last round equalling plus 20. As he has a climb speed he may take 10. Fast move reduces this by 5 but allows him to move at twice his climb speed
Final result = 25
50+50 feet climbed

Thsi is assuming darkova is climbing at worst a natural rocky wall, if the surface is perfectly flat I'll need to move to plan b

Inevitability
2016-11-01, 10:27 AM
Darkova begins climbing up the pit. However, once he's almost reached the top, a slick layer of grease suddenly covers the wall he's scaling, dropping the beast right back down.

The gnome looks down again.

"Hah! Fooled you! Thought you could escape, huh?"

[roll0]

A DC 30 Climb check allows Darkova to keep climbing.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-01, 10:40 AM
Darkova's eyes flash with fury, this gnome will digest slowly
He begins the climb again, slower this time, but surer using his claws to anchor into the rock beneath the grease

35 damage, reduced to 30

Okie dokie, double move, climb, take 10 = 31 this turn as darkova took 20 damage last turn

Darkova makes it 50 feet up
Let's see what he comes up with next

Inevitability
2016-11-02, 09:06 AM
The gnome stands a short distance away, now with quite a concerned look on his face.

"Er... Bye?"

The mage suddenly disappears, and the hurried footsteps of a small being can be heard moving towards the mountains.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-05, 06:02 PM
Darkova heaves himself over the edge of the pit and looks around, simmering with anger

Inevitability
2016-11-06, 09:40 AM
When you say 'looks around', do you mean you're making a spot check? There isn't a lot in your post I can directly reply to.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-07, 07:46 PM
Apologies, I was just after a description of what was outside the pit. for all I know a battalion of soldiers rolled up after I fell in.
Also if the gnome who put me in the pit is in visual range I would also like to know.

I'll roll perception spot just in case any of this requires such however.

[roll0]

Inevitability
2016-11-08, 11:24 AM
Darkova can't see anything gnomish.

The mountainward footsteps continue to sound.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-11, 01:41 PM
Darkova growls and attempts to follow the footsteps, if he gets close enough he should be able to feel the coward's footsteps

As stated, darkova's going to try to pinpoint the gnome's location. If I can get close enough tremorsense should kick in, unless he's smart enough to fly away while using ghost sound or something :P

Listen: [roll0]

Incidentally while no excuse for slow posts, I'm having some sort of issue with the forum not loading properly, I thought the website was down until I noticed the tab I have open on the tarrasque class was open and working fine ¬.¬

Inevitability
2016-11-12, 04:29 AM
Apart from the footsteps moving away, Darkova can hear very shallow breathing coming from the mage's former location.

As Darkova approaches, his tremorsense confirms something in standing there, slowly inching away.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-12, 04:38 AM
Darkova bursts towards the gnome, landing with a force that literally splinters the earth

Move towards gnome, when within range, use stomp. Hopefully he's actually there, and needs to make a dc26 reflex save or be entangled.

Inevitability
2016-11-14, 03:57 PM
A shrill shriek as Darkova charges confirms the presence of the gnome, and the upwards bursting earth only strengthens that notion.

Something invisible desperately tries to move between the splintered rocks, kicking small rocks away in its unseen scramble.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-14, 06:12 PM
Darkova huffed in aggravation, all of his senses were informing him that his would-be-captor was right in front of him, his eyes saw how he broke the splintered rock, his nose told him that something that smelled gnome-like was there, his mechanoreceptors felt the pulsing of his movements through the ground, and his ears heard the cursing.

But still, the annoying creeature was simply too well hidden to be completely sure.

Oh well, nothing to do but try

Darkova lashes out with his tongue

Have I mentioned yet that I find it odd that invisibility doesn't have a specific interaction with tremorsense?
I basically have 4 ways of pinpointing the guys square but still get a 50% miss chance for attacking him. oh well.

Tongue: [roll0]
grapple: [roll1]
miss chance [roll2] (1-50 hits?)

Inevitability
2016-11-15, 02:30 PM
With a final shriek, Darkova feels something being pulled into his mouth.

It appears his sense of taste works fine despite the invisibility too.

Finally, the annoying being is dead.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-15, 08:53 PM
Darkova grumbles and turns to walk back to the city.
A hole.
They thought a hole could hold him.

Depressingly, it had almost worked. Mostly.

He'd need to stay wary as people had more time to prepare for him, but even if he was trapped in an infinitely deep prison, he would simply devour the world one stone at a time...

Barring surprise gnome chestbursters, Darkova's going to head back to the city and chomp on some important looking things.

Inevitability
2016-11-20, 05:44 AM
The city is still there, albeit emptier than it used to be. That doesn't make smashing it less satisfying, though.

Chestburster gnomes? Now there's an idea...

Smeggedoff
2016-11-23, 02:35 PM
Darkova smashes around in the evacuated city for a while, pondering the most likely places refugees could have evacuated to. That many ships would be hard to arrange after all...

Knowledge local I guess?
untained, so I can't get very high
K.Local: [roll0]

Inevitability
2016-11-24, 03:07 AM
Darkova can't think of a place where the refugees may have gone.

As the monster rampages, however, it begins to notice something strange. The shadows of the half-collapsed buildings begin to stretch, extending into well-lit areas and obscuring them. As they do so, they become darker and darker, until even Darkova's sight can no longer see through.

From all sides the shadows approach, surrounding and confounding Darkova until all he can see is darkness. Then, the shadows instantaneously melt away.

Darkova finds himself standing on a blackened plain. No obvious vegetation or creatures are to be seen, though strange thin growths protrude from the ground in places. The air is thin and reeks of decay, and high up in the cloudless sky a pale red star shines amidst darkness.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-24, 12:52 PM
Darkova looks around the blasted land quizzically. A Sign of things to come? Did he fall for another trap that caused him to fall somewhere more abstract?
Bah, no matter.

Darkova peers around for any landmarks.

Inevitability
2016-11-26, 04:40 AM
Far, far at the edge of Darkova's vision mountains stand. The monster also notes that the growths are thicker a few dozen feet away.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-26, 09:17 AM
Darkova moves forward to examine the growths more closely

Inevitability
2016-11-27, 02:43 PM
Upon closer inspection, the 'growths' appear to be blackened, withered human arms (though judging by their size, some are probably not human).

As Darkova approaches, one of the arms opens a clenched fist. From within, a miniscule spider crawls. It approaches the monster, then speaks in a barely audible voice:

"Greetings, Darkova. Do you know who I am?"

Smeggedoff
2016-11-27, 11:35 PM
Darkova peers at the arachnid

"I must confess, I do not. Though I have suspicions" He rumbles

Inevitability
2016-11-28, 02:59 PM
Suddenly, the spider isn't a thumbnail-sized critter, but a titanic creature that dwarves Darkova a thousand times. Eight miles-long legs bear a mountain-sized arachnid body, its dark chitin covered in river-like red veins. The gargantuan being is big enough to blot out what little light the stars shine upon this world. As the being moves its head closer to Darkova, the ground shakes.

A single red eye, close in size to a small lake, focuses on the smaller monster.

"How about now, Darkova? Do you recognize your creator now?"

Smeggedoff
2016-11-29, 05:17 AM
"Yes my master!" replied Darkova, turning his neck in supplication "I should have recognised your demesne. What can this loyal servant do that deserves your valuable attention?"

Inevitability
2016-11-29, 06:18 AM
"You are doing very well. Gnomes and goblins alike live in fear of you, and none can stop you.

Even so, your behavior is puzzling at times. You met the Faceless's pitiful spawn and listened to him. Tell me; why did you do so?"

The thundering voice sounds curious rather than judging. Then again, Darkova doesn't really have experience picking up a titanic god-spider's verbal cues.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-29, 06:29 AM
Darkova's brow furrows
"It did not seem sensible to fight the spawn when I still had lesser beings to wage terror upon, especially as our abilities seemed to render a stalemate that would waste time. If this displeases you master, I will humble the other servants when I meet them in future"

Inevitability
2016-11-29, 02:50 PM
"Do as you wish when you next meet one, Darkova: I will not judge you. You of all beings should not be ruled by fear.

That said, the fact that I and the other gods share an enemy does not make us friends. Had it been me and the Faceless there, I doubt it would not have come to a fight.

Now go."

Darkova's surroundings slowly disappear. First the far-off mountains disappear, then the stars above, then the ground and its macabre growths and finally Grimm. For a moment Darkova can only see darkness, then that disappears too and the monster is back in the devastated gnome city.

A bright red line pulses briefly on Darkova's forelimb before fading away.

Please level up Darkova to ECL 11.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-29, 03:24 PM
Darkova looks thoughtful for a moment before shaking in irritation and rubbing up against a nearby building to rid himself of his old, softer fur.
Craning his neck to admire his new pelt, Darkova chuffs in satisfaction, before heading back towards the sea, he has more islands to depopulate after all, maybe he'll be able to sink one, it would be fun to watch the morsels all flail in the waves.

Coolies, That's muh carapace growing in

hit die [roll0]

Inevitability
2016-11-30, 11:16 AM
Darkova returns to the sea.

Smeggedoff
2016-11-30, 02:30 PM
Darkova wracks his memory of a previous existence and sets out for the next island in the chain

and probably gets hopelessly lost due to lack of map, compass, waypoints, fast travel nodes, and/or the survival skill. natch.

Inevitability
2016-12-01, 02:25 PM
Darkova navigates the seas for several days, not managing to find another gnome island.

However, then the monster comes across a peculiar situation. On one of the small rocky islands located in this area, a seagull can be seen sitting motionlessly. Darkova's keen eyes spot what seems to be a scroll tied around the animal's leg.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-02, 05:47 PM
Darkova narrows his eyes at the seabird.
Moving his tail he beings to lazily, and stealthily, move towards the hopefully unsuspecting creature and it's missive.

Stealthy stealth if required
hide
move.s
Darkova will attempt to grapple (but not swallow) the seagull if he makes it within range
tongue1d20+17
grapple [roll2]

Inevitability
2016-12-03, 11:07 AM
The seagull doesn't seem to notice Darkova approaching (or fails to react to it) and within moments the animal has a tongue wrapped around its body. Even so, it does not move.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-03, 11:20 AM
Darkova, after noting his cargo was secure, climbs onto the recently-vacated rock and goes to remove and unfurl the message, hoping it's not written in troll or something

Ah, the old fake exploding seagull trick. classic, never fails.

Inevitability
2016-12-03, 01:44 PM
The moment Darkova removes the message, the seagull spreads its wings and takes off.

The message is a bit hard to unfurl for Darkova, but with some creative use of foreclaws and tongue the monster eventually succeeds.

The sheet of paper has three paragraphs, all about the same length. However, only one, written in common, Darkova can actually read.

To the Consumer,

We are aware of your nature as an intelligent creature of divine origin.
We are aware you came into existence in the city of Brimwater and have ravaged several gnome cities, in addition to briefly venturing into goblin territory.
We are aware your primary goal is destruction of this world.
We possess information about you and the other enders.
We will share this information with you should you agree to our terms.
We will share this information with the other enders should you reject our terms.
The avian found carrying this message will return to us upon successful delivery of this message.
For further negotiation, wait in this locale for approximately 0.56 solar cycles after the avian's departure.
Message end.

Fake seagull, you said? :smalltongue:

Smeggedoff
2016-12-03, 01:56 PM
Darkova's eyebrows raise somewhat in surprise.
"hnn, I can afford to wait half a day" he thinks, swallowing the paper before diving into the ocean to trawl the nearby waters for prey while he waits.
fine, exceedingly well trained seagull, the lesser known gambit.

Inevitability
2016-12-04, 09:06 AM
A few thousand small fish, a colony of lobsters, and an overcourageous sea serpent are devoured by Darkova during his wait.

Then, as the sun is setting, movement is visible on the horizon. A few minutes later, Darkova can see what is approaching: a porpoise ridden by a plain-looking gnome. The gnome jumps off her mount and calmly walks over to Darkova: the animal waits in the water.

"Greetings, Consumer. I have come here on behalf of the Cerebral Divinity.

As you most likely know, each god has created a being to destroy this world: an ender. There are five, excluding you.

We know the location and current plans of four out of five of those and will provide this to you. In exchange, you will agree to be placed under a spell that will prevent you from approaching any gnomish cities, as well as the island in the middle of the Tempestous Sea.

Should you agree, you need but nod. If you do not, feel free to destroy this body, but know that you will be redefined a class one threat.

The gnome waits silently for Darkova's response.

The gnome seems to be lying when talking about the compulsion.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-06, 06:22 AM
Darkova narrows his eyes at the gnome, leaning closer until they are inches apart before snorting in amusement and turning away.

Diving back into the sea he ponders for a moment the best way to find the island this divinity would forbid to him before making his way once more into the briny depths.

Can't make that sense motive
If this is either a trap or a plot by an enemy of the gnomes/ whoever runs that island, congrats, it worked perfectly.
If the Cerebral divinity is watching out for the gnomes and values that island however, you dun goofed son.

I'm a little annoyed with myself actually, I've been trying to some degree to hide Darkova's intelligence (the only people who have heard him speak are his god, another player, and one long-digested hobgoblin-thing.)
So I would have loved to play completely dumb here, but reading a note and showing he understands it by waiting have harpooned that honestly. C'est la vie.

Inevitability
2016-12-06, 12:04 PM
Darkova enters the water, leaving the gnome behind. She silently stares after Darkova as the monster swims off.

Perhaps by chance, perhaps by skill Darkova eventually reaches the desert coast of the main continent. Not a creature is to be seen.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-06, 12:12 PM
Darkova wrinkles his nose at the landscape

"Trading a sea of salt for one of sand" he thinks

Looking from left to right across the horizon Darkova picks a direction, burrows into the sand, and heads in one of two directions likely to get him anywhere.

Man, survival and/or a compass sure would be handy right now. Anyhoo, Darkova's picking a random direction (unless there's a visible settlement) and heading along the coast for now.

Inevitability
2016-12-06, 01:35 PM
After a few hours of burrowing, Darkova suddenly senses moving creatures above him.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-06, 02:21 PM
Darkova begins to circle quietly, partially emerging fro ma sand dune in an attempt to assess the creatures

Hide [roll0]
M.Silently [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Inevitability
2016-12-07, 11:06 AM
"I mean, the Southern Archdruid called us, did he not? Were we truly right to ignore his summons?"

"The Archdruid called us to wage war! Does a drop of water go to war? Does the sea listen when one commands it to fight?"

Walking along the coast are two goblinoid creatures Darkova recognizes as Bhukas (http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/eberron/images/7/7a/87588.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120204180510). Both are accompanied by a small, goblin-sized creature apparently consiting entirely of shifting water.

One of the druids suddenly turns in Darkova's general direction: not able to see the monster but evidently able to hear it.

"Wait; did you hear that?"

Smeggedoff
2016-12-10, 11:11 AM
Darkova lets out a low chuckle designed to let the perceptive one hear before sinking into the sand and moving around to another vantage point on the pair

Inevitability
2016-12-11, 10:51 AM
The perceptive druid points at Darkova's previous location.

"I heard something over there!"

Slowly the two druids approach, their water elementals following quietly.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-12, 08:13 AM
So, I know there are rules for sniping then returning to stealth, can you do it with melee? Like, can I emerge from the sand, pick one of these guys off, then dive back down? It'll be a hard check but I can pop invis if necessary

I have no idea why I've decided to troll these guys either

Inevitability
2016-12-14, 02:48 PM
Sure, though if whatever you attacked survived the blow they'll know what square you are occupying (in addition to getting a spot and listen check).

Smeggedoff
2016-12-15, 01:20 PM
Darkova slows his breathing as the men approach, as soon as one draws near he lunges forward in a tide of sand, attempting to drag the poor soul under the desert, the shadows surging with him and blending his hide with the landscape

Swift action - activate cloak of deception, greater invisibility for 1 turn

standard
Bite [roll0]
Grapple [roll1]

Move action
Hide [roll2]
(+20 for invisibility while moving, -20 for trying to hide after an attack if we're following the snipe rules, plus or minus whatever bonuses/penalties you want to apply

Inevitability
2016-12-15, 02:29 PM
The druid doesn't even get the time to scream before being devoured whole, and Darkova quickly disappears again.

The devoured druid's water elemental rushes around frantically, leaving a muddy trail in the desert sand.

The other druid carefully scans his surroundings and, after seeing nothing, takes off running. His elemental follows dutifully.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-15, 04:18 PM
Darkova resists the urge to chuckle and follows the fleeing druid to see where he goes

Darkova's going to attempt to travel underground and track the druid using tremorsense, if you need me to make more stealth rolls or perception rolls or whatever then let me know

Inevitability
2016-12-16, 01:05 PM
The druid runs for several minutes, then stops. Darkova's keen ears pick up a hoarse panting even through the sand.

The water elemental is still present.

Smeggedoff
2016-12-19, 10:17 AM
"What do water elementals taste like?" Darkova wonders as he approaches "bland, I'd imagine"

Darkova lunges up under the liquid being, attempting to prolong the chase

Bite [roll0]
dmg [roll1]
re-hide [roll2]

This one's unlikely to work as I can't balance the -20 with invisibility again

Inevitability
2016-12-19, 02:18 PM
The water elemental, too, is swallowed up (it tastes like saltwater). Its master, now panicking, tries to discern the attack's origin, but once more fails.

[roll0]

The terrified hobgoblin throws himself towards the sea, murmering prayers as he does so.

"Oh, great Sea! Please, protect your humble servant from the horrors of the desert! Keep the sands from swallowing him up!"

Smeggedoff
2017-01-14, 11:35 PM
Darkova chuffs in annoyance, if the morsel stops running that he'll just bally well have to eat him, and that's not much use to anyone.
Darkova is curious to whether this desperate prayer might accomplish anything though, it's beginning to wonder if there's any substance to these 'new gods' at all

Darkova settles in to watch for a while

Inevitability
2017-01-15, 05:13 AM
The hobgoblin's plea goes unanswered, and his praying grows more frantic.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-15, 11:31 AM
Darkova breathes in the terror. There's simple solace in bringing a sentient to his knees, gibbering in prayer
But this has gone on long enough, entertainment for a time, but it grows stale.
Darkova reveals himself and approaches the man slowly, savouring the wisps of fear, giving the man one last chance to do anything interesting before he is devoured.

Inevitability
2017-01-15, 02:52 PM
The bhuka looks at the suddenly appeared monster in fear, but doesn't run.

"Are you... are you an envoy of the Sea or the Sands? Have you come to protect me from the unseen danger, or to destroy me?"

Smeggedoff
2017-01-15, 03:02 PM
Darkova peers at the man, pondering something, before deciding to speak in a low rumble

"I AM the danger, little man, and neither the sea no sands hold my allegiance, if you wish to be saved, you must save yourself"

Inevitability
2017-01-16, 12:50 PM
"I... I... I can aid you! I know these lands and their locales! I wield magic not unimpressive! Surely you have some need for me?"

The bhuka raises his hands and chants a few words, and out of nowhere a snake easily measuring six feet appears. The animal hisses and slides into its summoner's shadow, where it disappears a short while later.

In case you're going to ask, the snake lasted for about 25 seconds.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-16, 12:59 PM
Darkova stares at the man for a short time before responding

"I suppose you could be of some use, lead me to a place where I can feast, morsel, your capital perhaps, and you may be rewarded. But remember how quickly I dealt with your companion should you cross me"

Inevitability
2017-01-18, 03:13 PM
"The... capital?"

The bhuka smiles slyly.

"I will lead you there, worry not. You need not worry about its defenses: the empress and her army have left, and many defenses were destroyed some time ago by a great... beast..."

The druid looks up in slowly dawning realization.

"You... are you the Scourge from the Seas?"

Smeggedoff
2017-01-18, 03:25 PM
Darkova simply smiles, revealing rows of sharp teeth

Inevitability
2017-01-19, 02:01 PM
The bhuka gazes at Darkova breathlessly.

"Then will you crush the bugbears and free us from their tyranny? Will you return these lands to nature? Will you kill the Azure Storm and confirm the Wavekeeper's prophecy?"

Smeggedoff
2017-01-19, 04:23 PM
Darkova growls
"Do not presume, little man! I will do as I wish and consume all before me!" Darkova snaps harshly "If you wish for my goals to align with yours then I suggest you ensure that space is occupied by your enemies before my patience wears thin!"

Inevitability
2017-01-20, 04:16 PM
"Y... yes, Scourge! I shall lead you towards the bugbear's city! You will be able to destroy and devour as much as you want!"

Smeggedoff
2017-01-21, 12:00 AM
Darkova narrows his eyes at the man and advances a step
"I have little desire to pick over the carcass of a city I have already terrorized, is this truly all you can think of?"

Inevitability
2017-01-21, 12:04 PM
"Well, there's... er... The imperial army! Some time ago, the empress led an army north to battle the orcs, who she believes responsible for your appearance. Of course, we both know it was the Brine God who sent you, but those foolish bugbears have never been one to think clearly."

Still honoring that agreement with Malkarim, I see?

Smeggedoff
2017-01-21, 12:25 PM
Darkova ponders "Perhaps. I don't think I've ever eaten orc either..."

Sort of. There's no reason to break it yet, especially since I don't have a counter for his darkstalker thing so it'd essentially be two high stealth characters waiting for the other to slip up. Plus two pvp threads in a row with the same two characters is a bit repetitive.

Course my three options are that, go to the forbidden orc lands, or eat the guy and take my chances in the desert

Inevitability
2017-01-22, 11:13 AM
There's also the gnomish lands. Who knows, maybe the exceedingly well-trained seagull gnome is still around!

That said, waiting for your decision.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-22, 01:22 PM
Darkova's stomach rumbles, knocking him out of his reverie
"Bah, this was a poor experiment" he mutters before lunging forward. Teeth flashing towards the useless morsel that now knows too much

good point, I keep getting sidetracked from the gnomes. Malkarim's marching on the orcs and I still haven't knocked over my starting zone. Time to remove a loose end (it's a non-secret at this point, but Darkova wants to hide the fact that he's not a dumb beast as long as possible) and head for the land of the wee people

Bite
[roll0]
damage [roll1]
grapple [roll2]

Inevitability
2017-01-22, 02:59 PM
The bhuka screams in terror as he is devoured.

Darkova (once more) sets off into the ocean.

Okay, let's do this by the book. DC 15 survival check to not get lost, please.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-23, 09:42 AM
survival [roll0]
If I ever make a giant ocean swimming monster again, I'm going to remember to be able to navigate in a straight line

Inevitability
2017-01-24, 04:26 PM
Darkova's voyage is long, disoriented and boring, with the occasional devouring of a shark, giant squid, or sea serpent the only truly interesting occurrences. After a great number of days, the monster stumbles upon land. Rather than the rocky islands of the gnomes, though, it's a forested coastline that seems to go on for miles.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-25, 04:16 AM
Darkova shakes the salt from his fur and stalks into the forest, at least trees are marginally more interesting to eat in a pinch than sand

good gravy I'm the Ryouga of this game. *sigh* is this the orc lands? it's the orc lands isn't it. Oh well. I can't promise I won't disappear off the face of the earth mysteriously, but I'll try not to.

Inevitability
2017-01-25, 10:04 AM
The forest is quiet. Trees are densely packed together, but Darkova is strong enough to force his way past them.

After a considerable time walking, the monster finds a pillaged settlement. A palisade has been smashed down, totems have been torn down and skeletons bearing teeth marks lie scattered about.

Which Ryouga are we talking about?

Smeggedoff
2017-01-25, 10:12 AM
Darkova breathes deeply as he moves slowly around the palisade trying to find clues of some sort

Darkova's going to use scent and and tremorsense to look for clues for what happened, survivors, or a trail to follow pls, though that's probably a survival roll... while kind of makes it double unforgivable that I didn't invest in survival, what a waste of the scent quality

Ranma 1/2 Ryouga, His sense of direction is so bad he can get lost walking down a straight hallway. He also turns up whenever the main character happens to be, usually thinking he's somewhere else

Inevitability
2017-01-26, 11:47 AM
Darkova smells many orcish smells, as well as some canine ones. No trails in any direction but west can be observed.

No survivors are found.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-26, 11:59 AM
Darkova considers this for a moment. Orcs. Hmm, well well, new things to terrorise and taste, and if he should run into an army of bugbears while he was here... he can't exactly be blamed.

Darkova chuckles darkly to himself and heads west, blending ready to blend into the trees or burrow into the ground at the first sign of anything sentient.

Inevitability
2017-01-27, 11:05 AM
Despite Darkova's stealthiness, little animal life is encountered during his trek. After many days, during which the monster encounters more burned-out villages, they finally see signs of civilization again.

A great city bordering the sea is surrounded by no less than three army camps, located east, south and west of the city proper. Interestingly, all three display different banners.

The eastern army, closest to Darkova, bears the image of a savage-looking wolf. Its members, as far as Darkova can see, are orcish and well-armed. A number of tamed canines, some the size of horses, walk amongst them.

The western army is hard to see properly, but its banner is still visible: a large tree on a red background.

The southern army, however, is vastly different. Its tents are in a different style, its occupants goblinoids rather than orcs. Their banner displays the white chimera of the Empire of Salt, the same symbol Darkova saw on so many of the goblinoid capital's buildings.

Finally, the city's defenders appear to be orcs.

The allegiances between sides, or perhaps even their actual number (who's to say one of the camps doesn't belong to the city?), cannot be discerned from this distance.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-27, 11:23 AM
Darkova sits in the treeline staring at the armies. One native, one unknwon (for now), and one all too familiar. Well well well.
His tail lashes back and forth as he considers the possibilities

Can I ask the condition of the ground in this area please. Specifically for the purposes of burrowing as I can't burrow through solid rock

Inevitability
2017-01-28, 07:28 AM
The earth generally consists of soil or sand, but there's no telling how deep it goes.

Smeggedoff
2017-01-29, 12:42 PM
Darkova paws the ground contemplatively and begins to burrow. First thing is to find out who the third army belongs to, learn all of the players before you attempt to join the game after all

Darkova as written, is going to burrow over to the third army staging grounds to attempt to information gather, mostly through sound and tremorsense, but will occasionally stick his head up if it seems safe to do so without being spotted early

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

^that listen should be +14 not +4 so add 10 to the result^

Inevitability
2017-02-03, 11:28 AM
Darkova crawls through the earth as subtly as possible, emerging once it's sure it has reached the strange camp.

A quick glance shows this camp, too, is populated by orcs. Some of them wield large weapons or steel, bone, or stone, others are dressed in the traditional beast skins favored by druids. A few are accompanied by animals.

However, while still recognizable as orcs, the camp's inhabitants are nothing like the regular orcs Darkova has seen. These orcs are enormous, with the largest amongst them over seven feet in length. They are incredibly muscular, even for orcs, and their skins are thick and scarred. Their canines are elongated to the point where they fail to fit in the orcs' maws, and where one would expect hands, monstrous claws grow.

The oak motif is further present in their totems and items. Sometimes, where one would expect leaves the tree is instead portrayed as growing young animals, eggs, or even humanoid beings.

Darkova can also make out an empty place in the midst of the camp, though what is to be found there can't be seen from the beast's current position.

The plot thickens!

Smeggedoff
2017-02-04, 11:59 AM
Ok, another sort of topography question. What's north of the city? is that the sea?

Inevitability
2017-02-06, 02:36 PM
Sea, indeed.

Smeggedoff
2017-02-08, 07:49 AM
Darkova considers the armies, the city, the banners, the beasts, the factions, the foes, his mind whirring with possibilities before deciding 'why mess with what works?'

Tunnelling beneath the soil, Darkova makes his way down the coast until out of sight of the armies and city before sliding gracefully into the turbulent waters of the sea before turning back and making his way to the staging grounds.

He takes a moment to appraise the city from this side checking for ways to enter the city.
If there aren't any, well, he's climbed walls before.

sneaky sneaky
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Inevitability
2017-02-08, 02:52 PM
On this side, too, the city is guarded by a wall. Compared to the heavily fortified and well-guarded walls of the Empire of Salt, it's barely a challenge, though. Only a handful of guards seem to have been stationed on this side of the wall, perhaps understandably.

Smeggedoff
2017-03-09, 10:50 PM
Darkova chuckles inwardly, a barely guarded seawall? Pathetic, people will learn in time.

Wrapping himself in shadow, Darkova surges from the sea and up the wall, masked in a breaking wave

sorry again for the lack of posts
Darkova will activate cloak of deception granting greater invisibility for a turn, then use Rush and take a full round run action out of the sea and up the wall, hoping to reach the top before it expires
(climb 25ft/round and swim 50ft/round, Double move or run if applicable, Using rush to quadruple my movement for this round.)
The intent is to try and just appear dramatically on top of the wall with a cresting wave and then roar all 'zilla-like into the heavens

Inevitability
2017-03-10, 02:06 PM
Darkova scales the wall with a grace not becoming of its size. Invisibly, it looms over the small buildings, orcs, and animals below.

Then, the shadows concealing the beast melt away, revealing it to the humanoids below.

OH: [roll1]
AotM: [roll2]
WB: [roll3]
EoS: [roll4]

Smeggedoff
2017-03-10, 10:36 PM
Darkova appraises the city momentarily attempting to guess where the tastiest morsels lie, before letting out an earth-shattering roar and leaping from the wall to begin his rampage

Move action - Primal Roar, DC 17 will(?) save or flying creatures are forced to within 10 feet of the ground. echoes for 10 rounds. This is mainly for effect as I don't think anything's flying right now.

Inevitability
2017-03-11, 08:09 AM
The odd seabird is brought down by Darkova's roar. Apart from that, it only further intimidates the orcs below.

Interesting targets seem to be the heavily-manned (heavily-orced?) front wall, a circle of trees in the middle of the city, and a large tower.

Smeggedoff
2017-03-12, 01:15 PM
Is there really any option? What kind of kaiju would Darkova be if he let a towering edifice stand, the only real question is whether to knock it down or climb it with a hostage

Darkova begins his rampage towards the tower, perhaps he'll examine the grove later, roughage is important too after all...

Inevitability
2017-03-15, 02:15 AM
As Darkova rampages, it begins to hear screams not just from its current position, but from the walls too. A great tower of green flame roars up from a section there, and warriors start rushing towards it. Apparently one of the attacking armies has chosen to strike.

Closer and closer the monster gets to the tower, devouring the odd orcish warrior along the way. Suddenly, the tower only two hundred or so feet away, plants sprout up all around it, forming a thick wall of vegetation.

Faintly, Darkova can hear orcish shouting from the building.

Smeggedoff
2017-03-15, 03:05 AM
Darova bellows and charges the vine-riddled tower, tearing with tooth and claw to test the defenses

Bite:[roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]
Claw:[roll2]
Dmg:[roll3]
Claw:[roll4]
Dmg:[roll5]
Horn:[roll6]
Dmg:[roll7]
Horn:[roll8]
Dmg:[roll9]

Inevitability
2017-03-15, 09:11 AM
I may have been unclear, but it's not like a thin shell of vegetation just grew around the tower: plants suddenly grew to great size in the entire area within a 200 ft. radius.

Smeggedoff
2017-03-16, 03:30 AM
Oh I see. I mean, I didn't think it was a thin shell per se, but yeah I had interpreted it as cladding the tower. Hmm, roughly how long does it seem like it would take to tear through 200 feet of vegetation? (bloody druids)

Inevitability
2017-03-16, 01:04 PM
Your speed drops to 10 feet while within the area, unless the plants are somehow neutralized.

Just saying: if Darkova has an atomic breath weapon now would be a great time to use it.

Smeggedoff
2017-03-18, 06:15 AM
Just saying: if Darkova has an atomic breath weapon now would be a great time to use it.

I have a 30 foot cone of fire 1/day... It's harder to get a breath weapon than you'd think, I spent a long time looking though templates before the game started and ended up buying a cloak that granted it u_u

Inevitability
2017-03-18, 01:16 PM
Ah well. I take it Darkova is going to force itself through the plants?

Smeggedoff
2017-03-18, 02:04 PM
Darkova tests the tangled overgrowth and snorts in displeasure, obviously this tower is something precious worth destroying.
Flexing his shoulder muscles Darkova wills his captured magic to awaken and unfurls an immense pair of leathery wings.
With a bellow he propels himself into the air and toward the peak of the tower.

I was hoping to keep these as an ace. Cloak of the dragon active granting Darkova fly speed equal to his land speed for 10 minutes

Inevitability
2017-03-21, 02:02 PM
The air rushing around him (and the people screaming even louder below), Darkova approaches the tower. As the monster approaches, it can see orcs standing near its windows, gazing in fear.

Darkova won initiative, so by all means go ahead and take your turn.