PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cloud Strife build

AKShadow22
2016-07-17, 03:52 AM
How would one go about building Cloud from FF7 in 3.5? I would prefer him to be human but if its not possible its fine. And if a build is already made could someone please direct me to it.

Krazzman
2016-07-17, 05:07 AM
I would say that going warblade with a big two handed weapon (large Bastard sword with ewp and monkey grip should be pretty close to his buster sword)
I am not that experienced with tob but going into bloodstorm blade for his one limit break where he hurls energy. The rest are definitely just maneuvers. If you want him to have materia I am currently not sure how you would advance.

Good luck.

amdskitzo
2016-07-17, 05:43 AM
I would say that going warblade with a big two handed weapon (large Bastard sword with ewp and monkey grip should be pretty close to his buster sword)
I am not that experienced with tob but going into bloodstorm blade for his one limit break where he hurls energy. The rest are definitely just maneuvers. If you want him to have materia I am currently not sure how you would advance.

Good luck.

I second going heavy if not fully Warblade. Weapon-wise, there was the Fullblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?250491-The-fullblade) from 3.0E, definitely fits the idea of Cloud's buster sword.

Hope that helps. :)

AslanCross
2016-07-17, 06:26 AM
Is this 3.5 and Pathfinder, or just 3.5?

If it's 3.5 and Tome of Battle is allowed, Warblade would definitely be the way to go.

Limit Breaks:
-Braver: Almost any first or second-level maneuver, but Mountain Hammer fits the bill.
-Cross Slash: Douse the Flames

-Climhazzard: Almost any mid-level maneuver.
-Blade Beam: Lightning Throw

-Meteorain: Only Bloodstorm Blade's Lightning Ricochet fits this.
-Finishing Touch: Finishing Move

-Omnislash: Time Stands Still. Will probably be tricky to get as the rest of Cloud's limit breaks don't fit in with Diamond Mind maneuvers. Alternatively, Feral Death Blow.
-Omnislash ver 5: Quite hard to do this, but either War Master's Charge or Time Stands Still.

Taking Martial Study to grab Swordsage feats for the Desert Wind maneuvers can approximate Fire/Fira/Firaga and possibly Flare if you're willing to spend that many feats on fire spells.

You could also go for a more gish-type build and go Warblade/Wizard (better casting, Int synergy with Warblade)/Jade Phoenix Mage (so your maneuvers and spells both progress)/Abjurant Champion. I'm not really savvy with how to optimize that, but I think it will work. You can ask your GM to refluff the Jade Phoenix Mage as "Lifestream's Chosen" or something to relate its immortality powers to the Lifestream. Also, green fire.

Pathfinder offers you slightly different options with Path of War, though Path of War maneuvers are generally much stronger than Tome of Battle maneuvers. Primal Fury (for the giant weapon and charging maneuvers) and Thrashing Dragon (for the throwing maneuvers for Blade Beam and Meteorain) will work well. You could go Warder/Magus/Bladecaster. (Using the Arcane Marauder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/ascension-games-llc---magus-archetypes/arcane-marauder) archetype for the Magus so you can go two-handed; however that means having to take eight levels in Magus....)

Krazzman
2016-07-17, 09:29 AM
-Omnislash: Time Stands Still. Will probably be tricky to get as the rest of Cloud's limit breaks don't fit in with Diamond Mind maneuvers. Alternatively, Feral Death Blow.
-Omnislash ver 5: Quite hard to do this, but either War Master's Charge or Time Stands Still.

Isn't there a maneuver called avalanche of blades? Would that not fit Omnislash too?

Seppo87
2016-07-17, 09:36 AM
Warblade/Warmage/JPM

Buufreak
2016-07-17, 12:27 PM
Don't forget the wig and frilly dress! He obviously would need a few ranks in disguise too.

Deadline
2016-07-17, 03:42 PM
Isn't there a maneuver called avalanche of blades? Would that not fit Omnislash too?

Arcane Duelist's capstone is pretty much exactly Omnislash.

AslanCross
2016-07-17, 09:03 PM

True, I forgot about this.
I'd probably build on Emerald Razor (to combo with Power Attack), the Will save counter, and Pearl of Black Doubt.

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 06:59 AM
Arcane Duelist's capstone is pretty much exactly Omnislash.

A gish PrC that requires +6 BAB and spellcasting, then gives no spellcasting advancement and poor BAB? WotC never ceases to amaze me.

Deadline
2016-07-18, 09:39 AM
A gish PrC that requires +6 BAB and spellcasting, then gives no spellcasting advancement and poor BAB? WotC never ceases to amaze me.

Well, it requires minimal spellcasting, much like Dragon Disciple. If you look at them as Caster PrCs, they're terrible. If you look at them as Martial PrCs, they're awesome. :smalltongue:

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 10:53 AM
Well, it requires minimal spellcasting, much like Dragon Disciple. If you look at them as Caster PrCs, they're terrible. If you look at them as Martial PrCs, they're awesome. :smalltongue:

Poor. BAB.

And no, Divine Power is no argument against this.

Shpadoinkle
2016-07-18, 10:59 AM
If you just want a guy with big damn sword, Warblade fits the bill.

If you want to pull of a bunch of stupid shenanigans with all the ridiculous materia setups you can use, then you should probably go with artificer.

Deadline
2016-07-18, 11:38 AM
Poor. BAB.

And no, Divine Power is no argument against this.

It's still plenty possible to hit +16 BAB with both of the PrCs I mentioned. +4 BAB doesn't make or break a martial build. Especially if you are using an initiator as your martial base. Many maneuvers don't have you make full attacks.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are many really bad PrCs from WotC, but Arcane Duelist isn't one of them (even Dragon Disciple isn't as bad as many PrCs, so long as you use it in a martial build. If you use it as a caster PrC, then it's truly awful).

Inevitability
2016-07-18, 11:41 AM
It's still plenty possible to hit +16 BAB with both of the PrCs I mentioned. +4 BAB doesn't make or break a martial build. Especially if you are using an initiator as your martial base. Many maneuvers don't have you make full attacks.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are many really bad PrCs from WotC, but Arcane Duelist isn't one of them (even Dragon Disciple isn't as bad as many PrCs, so long as you use it in a martial build. If you use it as a caster PrC, then it's truly awful).

How do you get +16 BAB if you spend 10 levels on a poor-BAB class? That would require getting 11 BAB in 10 levels.

Deadline
2016-07-18, 11:51 AM
How do you get +16 BAB if you spend 10 levels on a poor-BAB class? That would require getting 11 BAB in 10 levels.

I was all set to argue, but went back to review the Arcane Duelist. I derped and crossed Swiftblade with Arcane Duelist on the BAB issue (so you'd be hitting a cap of +14-15 BAB). That said, Arcane Duelist is still a decent PrC for a martial initiator, but the loss of that magical +16 BAB does hurt anytime you want to full attack.