PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Arcane Archer setup based on Warlock. Too strong?

SilverTiger
2016-07-17, 09:59 AM
So... Thoughts on an Arcane Archer? Or that one class from PHBII.

Haven't seen much good that seemed fun and wasn't obscenely powerful or just plain weak.

Reflavored Warlock who Uses Pact of the Blade (Allow for Ranged Weaponry).
*This allows you to Magically summon a bow! Why not? (No ammo included, but if you have a bow, you could summon an arrow as your weapon and just shoot that...)

Add Invocation- Eldritch Armory(Requires Pact of the Blade): You may not cast spells normally. Instead, you must cast through the Pact of Blade weapon as a focus.
As a bonus action, Use a spell slot to Imbue a weapon or piece of ammo with a spell that you know, and use the impact point of the hit as the new starting point of the spell. Spell works as normal from there.
EXAMPLE: Burning hands would start from where the arrow landed and cone out from there.
This would take the spell slot of the spell used, or if a cantrip is used, just enhance the arrow as the spell.
EXAMPLE: Firebolt would surround the arrow/weapon with eldritch fire.

Add Invocation- Eldritch Arsenal(Requires Pact of the Blade and Eldritch Armory)
As a bonus Action, you may create a magical weapon or piece of ammo made of Cantripic energy (Cantrips ONLY) that only you may wield. This requires concentration and lasts up to an hour, or 1 round when not being wielded by the caster. Cannot be enhanced via Eldritch Armory.
EXAMPLE: Eldritch blast creates an arrow/weapon of force. At higher levels this "Arrow" can split off and hit multiple targets as the spell normally, or explode on hit to beam other targets. Firebolt creates an arrow/weapon of fire. Ice blast creates arrow/weapon of ice and so on.

From there, your set to be an arcane archer (Rename/flavor the Patron pact to not be so demonic, and change the spells to something more flavored to an arcane hunter.
The actual abilities of the Patron pact can stay the same. Though i guess telekinesis is very random for this. Maybe with the new flavor make it an at will whispering wind?

This would work exactly as a blaster would normally since taking a regular warlock would have the exact same amount of power. Only difference is the weapon damage and the Power/Accuracy damage (Str/Dex). Just make it not combine with Agonizing blast (Cha to damage) and it should be basically equal. (Beyond the weapon damage)

At the first few levels adding that weapon damage seems a little strong.
I have no idea how to reduce that without overall weakening the class.
ADDED DIFFICULTY:
Melee weapons will add more damage, but put the low life caster in danger.
Cant cast normally. Requires weapon.
Adds more stats to increase its MAD dependency. (Dex for ranged/Finesse or Str for Melee)
ACTION DEPENDENT. 1)Burns the first action (Countered by just having the weapon out. This would only effect in situations where he didn't have it out and about.)
2)Burns the Bonus Action.
Adds Double defenses. First you have to beat the AC. Then the spell save.

TOO POWERFUL:
More dice for damage from weapon is all i'm seeing.

All in all, there are waaaay more CONS than PROS, but is it too powerful because of the weapon damage?
But the flavor additive is very good. And pulling off awesome anime/video game moves? Yes please!
When i first thought about it, the damage seemed to high, and so i put in a risk/reward feature.
Basically, not every item can be imbued with magic. Thats why it takes a Masterwork weapon to create a magic item.
And so;
Quality : Chance of blowing up from too much energy.
Useless : 100% Instantly Blows on Trying
Poor : 80%
Common : 60%
Good : 40%
Excellent : 20%
Masterwork : 0%

Explosion: 1d6/spell level used(1d6 for cantrip), AoE 5 foot radius and knockback(You and everyone around you), Reflex DC of 20.

Since i made it first for Arcane Archer, Arrows were shot and consumed by the spell anyway, either doing intended effect, or exploding.

Problem is, the game didn't last due to missing players and stuff, so couldn't really test it.

Thoughts?

djreynolds
2016-07-17, 11:52 AM
Phb2, players handbook 2?

I live under a rock

Giant2005
2016-07-17, 01:16 PM
I don't think it is too strong. It is essentially a subclass that gives the Warlock the EK's War Magic and Improved War Magic abilities. It won't be a big deal as long as you don't give out those abilities too early.
You also have them in the wrong order - your version of War Magic should be coming earlier than your version of Improved War Magic. Make sure it doesn't stack with Thirsting Blade - otherwise your Warlock will be better at fighting than the Eldritch Knight and that is obviously a big no-no.

Quintessence
2016-07-17, 02:17 PM

I live under a rock

Don't worry, I am completely lost also :)

SilverTiger
2016-07-17, 02:20 PM
I don't think it is too strong. It is essentially a subclass that gives the Warlock the EK's War Magic and Improved War Magic abilities. It won't be a big deal as long as you don't give out those abilities too early.
You also have them in the wrong order - your version of War Magic should be coming earlier than your version of Improved War Magic. Make sure it doesn't stack with Thirsting Blade - otherwise your Warlock will be better at fighting than the Eldritch Knight and that is obviously a big no-no.

Its burning the Invocations rather than the subclass. But re-reading it, its doing the exact same thing but much earlier. hmmm...
Looking through it again, I was seeing it more as the Paladin's Improved Smite as the War Magic, and a quick combination on Improved war magic. But to get that at 18 is crazy as a caster first. lol

As for stacking with thirsting blade, i hadn't gotten to that point. But, since its taking your bonus action to put the spell in, you can't do it twice, no matter how many times you attack. Numbers are much lower now, so the weapon die brings it too high.

Alright. Its dead. lol Thank you.

SilverTiger
2016-07-17, 02:23 PM

I live under a rock

Yes, players handbook 2. Duskblade is the class.

On another note.
I have no idea how to close this thread. xD

SilverTiger
2016-07-17, 02:31 PM
Basically the Duskblade's Arcane channeling (level 3). Guess i haven't really looked at the level/power and compared it yet.
I prolly just wrote off EK when i saw that it was gonna be level 18 before i could cast a level 1 lightning spell through an arrow...

Quintessence
2016-07-17, 02:37 PM
Basically the Duskblade's Arcane channeling (level 3). Guess i haven't really looked at the level/power and compared it yet.
I prolly just wrote off EK when i saw that it was gonna be level 18 before i could cast a level 1 lightning spell through an arrow...

The entire power scale for 5E vs 3.5E is completely different, 5E has a much much lower level of power so abilities like that are amazing when before they were just average class features.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-17, 05:16 PM
Isn't a warlock already an Arcane Archer in all but name and exact style? At-will 4d10+20 Force damage is the exact same, save type, that a level 20 fighter with crossbow master can pull off with a heavy crossbow. It's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-07-17, 05:52 PM
Yes, players handbook 2. Duskblade is the class.

On another note.
I have no idea how to close this thread. xD

That's third edition, not fifth edition.

And ask a mod, I think.