PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Fighting Styles

ES Curse
2016-07-17, 12:46 PM
I've been tossing around some ideas for the Fighting Style feature lately. Knowing that this applies to Paladins, Fighters, and Rangers, I have this:

-Spellsword: Choose one of the following classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard. You learn one cantrip of your choice from that class's spell list. Your spellcasting ability for this cantrip depends on the class you chose. Bard, Sorcerer, and Warlock cantrips use Charisma, Cleric and Druid cantrips use Wisdom, and Wizard cantrips use Intelligence.

-Wrestler (requires Athletics proficiency): You can add double your proficiency bonus to Athletics checks made to initiate or maintain a grapple, and may grapple an enemy with one or both hands when you grapple an enemy if both of your hands are free. When you grapple an enemy with both hands, you may declare your throw to be one of three types provided by this feature:
---Chokehold, which deals damage to the target of your grapple equal to your Strength modifier at the start of the grappled creature's turn
---Armlock, which prevents the target's use of one limb of your choosing such as a sword-arm or shield-arm
---Bear Hug, which imposes disadvantage on the grappled creature's checks to break the grapple.

-Simple Weapon Master: You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls made with simple weapons from page 149 of the Player's Handbook.

-Enduring: Choose one ability score whose saving throws you are not proficient with. You become proficient in saving throws for that ability score.

-Tactical: When you hit an enemy with a weapon attack that has advantage on the attack roll, you may add your proficiency bonus to the attack's damage roll. This feature may only be used once per round.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-07-17, 01:30 PM
I like em. They are simple and clean, The main issue i see is the simple weapon champion beating face with a 2 fighting styles that buff damage. I will say the tactical is very nice.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 03:13 PM
I've been tossing around some ideas for the Fighting Style feature lately. Knowing that this applies to Paladins, Fighters, and Rangers, I have this:

-Spellsword: Choose one of the following classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard. You learn one cantrip of your choice from that class's spell list. Your spellcasting ability for this cantrip depends on the class you chose. Bard, Sorcerer, and Warlock cantrips use Charisma, Cleric and Druid cantrips use Wisdom, and Wizard cantrips use Intelligence.

-Wrestler (requires Athletics proficiency): You can add double your proficiency bonus to Athletics checks made to initiate or maintain a grapple, and may grapple an enemy with one or both hands when you grapple an enemy if both of your hands are free. When you grapple an enemy with both hands, you may declare your throw to be one of three types provided by this feature:
---Chokehold, which deals damage to the target of your grapple equal to your Strength modifier at the start of the grappled creature's turn
---Armlock, which prevents the target's use of one limb of your choosing such as a sword-arm or shield-arm
---Bear Hug, which imposes disadvantage on the grappled creature's checks to break the grapple.

-Simple Weapon Master: You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls made with simple weapons from page 149 of the Player's Handbook.

-Enduring: Choose one ability score whose saving throws you are not proficient with. You become proficient in saving throws for that ability score.

-Tactical: When you hit an enemy with a weapon attack that has advantage on the attack roll, you may add your proficiency bonus to the attack's damage roll. This feature may only be used once per round.

Make a note saying that only one style may be used at a given time.

This way any future core styles and your styles will be kosher in the same game.

ES Curse
2016-07-17, 07:37 PM
I don't even think Simple Weapon Master would be too good combined with other styles. Maybe in terms of raw damage it wins, but a martial weapon with Dueling is still better. Once you get two styles, it might be stronger, but Defense/Protection/Dueling/Archery can already stack with each other if you have a thrown weapon and shield.