PDA

View Full Version : LG Stereotipical Paladin Mentality

Traziremus
2016-07-17, 05:39 PM
Just ran a seasion ruined by a Fighter in 0D&D, he got picked as the party's leader and instead of thinking for the party in a smart way he acted like some sort of encourigment to press on, this lets call it inspiration lasts usially 20 secounds and does NOTHING. The Orcs they encountered offered to join them and give them the map in exchange for their lives, but nay he attacked them only becaus they are Orcs and one of the Orcs surprised by this act ran from the party and rallied the other orcs in the cave, that resulted in a TPK.

SO please tell me how to ward of these type of reckless LG players, I am sick and tired of their b******t !

Bulhakov
2016-07-17, 05:58 PM
How's that stereotypical LG? It seems more like simple player stupidity. In case of my players it was usually the neutral/evil players that were more prone to the "if in doubt, kill it" approach to problem solving.

That said, your players should have a good talk about individual player decisions that can jeopardize the whole party, i.e. "how to avoid ruining the game for your friends".

Keltest
2016-07-17, 06:11 PM
Not sure how racism and random unnecessary violence equate to either lawful or good, but eh..

In this case, the solution is to tell the player (not the character) Don't do dumb stuff like that anymore. And if they continue to do dumb stuff, let them suffer the consequences alone, and if you get really tired of it, stop inviting them. But don't let them drag you down with them.

Geddy2112
2016-07-17, 10:47 PM
At worse this is lawful stupid, but it seems to just be boneheaded thinking. Certainly not any LG or paladin code I have seen.

But seconding the above. Talk to them/the group about how playing stupid games is a good way to win stupid prizes. If they player continues, try to only have consequences hurt that PC.

Esprit15
2016-07-17, 11:00 PM
Yeah, not sure what paladin doesn't negotiate peace when given the option.

Ask him what went wrong with that plan, and how it can be learned from. You'd be surprised how much simple reflection can help in cases like this.

8BitNinja
2016-07-18, 01:15 AM
I must get involved in this.

How's that stereotypical LG? It seems more like simple player stupidity. In case of my players it was usually the neutral/evil players that were more prone to the "if in doubt, kill it" approach to problem solving.

That said, your players should have a good talk about individual player decisions that can jeopardize the whole party, i.e. "how to avoid ruining the game for your friends".

I have to agree with you. If you consider this LG, I think you should look up what LG is (check easydamus). Also, I am disgusted and appalled that you say this is paladin behavior. (It's hyperbole, I'm not mad at all)

Traziremus
2016-07-18, 03:13 AM
I must get involved in this.

I have to agree with you. If you consider this LG, I think you should look up what LG is (check easydamus). Also, I am disgusted and appalled that you say this is paladin behavior. (It's hyperbole, I'm not mad at all) It is how Paladins and Cletics behave in his games, most of our community hates playing those roles becsuse of him. Me saying that the above is LG Tipical Paladin is because I played o' so many games he ran and I no longer use aligments in my games as a result of it.

Blackhawk748
2016-07-18, 06:00 AM
It is how Paladins and Cletics behave in his games, most of our community hates playing those roles becsuse of him. Me saying that the above is LG Tipical Paladin is because I played o' so many games he ran and I no longer use aligments in my games as a result of it.

Ooooh, hes one of those "paladins". The "Detect, then Smite, then maybe question type", which are failures of Paladinhood actually. Really that is just Lawful Stupid and that is not how they work, but you and I know that.

Keltest
2016-07-18, 09:31 AM
It is how Paladins and Cletics behave in his games, most of our community hates playing those roles becsuse of him. Me saying that the above is LG Tipical Paladin is because I played o' so many games he ran and I no longer use aligments in my games as a result of it.

Again, the solution is to tell him to cut it out. It sounds like he is just a bad person to game with.

Madokar
2016-07-18, 03:04 PM
How long has this guy played tabletop games? How many LG characters has he played? He might not understand what being LG is about yet. This sounds like a rookie mistake, though one that can be rectified. If you can talk to the player about how he's roleplaying, you might even have an angle to work this into character development.

If he doesn't quite understand, go and make an LG NPC for the party to interact with so your trouble player can have a better idea of how to be LG. Lead by example.

TheYell
2016-07-18, 07:23 PM
Couldnt the orcs have run out in overwhelming numbers and demand the party surrender the murderous zealot for execution? Why did they TPK? If all the party members joined in the fighting they all have to learn its the orcs you cant see that hurt you.

TheYell
2016-07-18, 07:34 PM
i mean you know you got a gungho bigot in the party, why use an inadequate force to threaten him into negotiating and then clobber the whole party with an offstage army when he reacts his usual way?