PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build Concept: Witchdoctor

Laserlight
2016-07-17, 06:49 PM
New player joining the campaign tomorrow (he's played 3.5 but not 5e) wants to play a half-orc witchdoctor/voodoo priest who is also something of a skillmonkey. I'm thinking lore bard 6-7, warlock 2-3 (the pact being with his patron Loa), but I'm curious how others would build it.

"Half orc" is mandatory.
Standard point buy for stats--he's okay with 15 15 15 8 8 8.
He's starting at Level 9, campaign will probably not go past Level 12.
Multiclassing is okay and he gets two ASI regardless of how many levels in which classes.
The rest of the party is bear barbarian, open hand monk, PAM fighter 6/cleric 3, and occasionally a rogue 6/paladin 3.
The setting is Central America AD1600 and almost all enemies have darkvision.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-17, 06:59 PM
I would think a Witchdoctor would be more Cleric/Warlock than Bard/Warlock. Perhaps a Knowledge Cleric / Warlock, though I don't know what patron the Loa would be a part of. Great Old One?

It's a bit MAD, but it does strike me as a bit thematic.

MrStabby
2016-07-17, 07:45 PM
I think the DMG death domain cleric covers it quite well.

Laserlight
2016-07-17, 07:54 PM
I would think a Witchdoctor would be more Cleric/Warlock than Bard/Warlock. Perhaps a Knowledge Cleric / Warlock, though I don't know what patron the Loa would be a part of. Great Old One?

It's a bit MAD, but it does strike me as a bit thematic.

My impression of GOO pact is that it leans more control less blasting than Fiend, so yeah, GOO would work.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-07-17, 11:23 PM
Both Cleric and Warlock fit this theme rather well without any adjustments and no need for multi-clashing.

Papa Legba makes a perfect patron for a Warlock. Not sure what pact I'd call that however.

Klorox
2016-07-18, 01:10 AM
Both Cleric and Warlock fit this theme rather well without any adjustments and no need for multi-clashing.

Papa Legba makes a perfect patron for a Warlock. Not sure what pact I'd call that however.

A) not sure if multi-clashing is a typo or not, but I love it.

B) I'd say a reskinned Fey-pact works fine.

That being said, I agree. You could be a witch doctor with a cleric, warlock, or even druid, and/or a multiclass of them.

I think the outlander background probably fits the witch doctor theme best.

sky red hunter
2016-07-18, 07:47 AM
I think the DMG death domain cleric covers it quite well.

+1 to this post, just started a new campaign with this class and i already love it.

Herobizkit
2016-07-18, 07:52 AM
+1 Death cleric of Baron Samedi. Outlander or Hermit background.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-18, 08:28 AM
A straight Warlock 9 oughta work-- try the Undying patron from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, which adds some necromancy spells, tankiness, and undead-friendliness. Maybe start with a level of Rogue or Bard for skills, but you don't want to delay your casting progression too much. You might also create a custom Invocation to cast Animate Dead using a warlock spell slot 1/day (which ought to require level 5, based on the general pattern), and take Create Undead as your 6th level Mystic Arcanum.

Death Cleric isn't bad, but it's kind of plain in my opinion, and probably not the most fitting-- all their abilities are either "do more damage" or "target more creatures." Knowledge or Trickery both seem more fitting, somehow.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-18, 08:50 AM

That being said, I agree. You could be a witch doctor with a cleric, warlock, or even druid, and/or a multiclass of them.

The only downside to Druid is wildshape not being a good fit... potentially. I agree on Fey - a darker mien on de spirits of de land works well. Then it's just a question of how "zombie raisin' and speakin' with dead" you intend to go.

Bard works well for the "wise man and occasional storyteller." Lore bard (and he could do Bard 6+ / other 0-3) can fill in some of those missing spells to fit the theme.

I would be sorely tempted to pick up Ritual Caster, or focus Warlock for Tome/BoS (pair with Know Cleric, rogue, or Bard 3 for skill expertise). Ritual Magic is a very witch doctory thing. I'm inclined towards Hermit, mainly for the Herbalism kit (you can make healing kits out of swamp moss and berries, or healing potions with (2 or 10) days' brewing. Check with the DM on this. When I run, I treat pot-o-healing as a magic item (25gp/day "enchanting"). Others may not be so generous.

Also, Component Pouch = Gris Gris Bag.

Laserlight
2016-07-18, 10:00 AM

Given that Papa Legba speaks all languages and facilitates communication, the GOO pact's Telepathy should fit.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-07-18, 11:38 AM

Haha yeah I'm using swipe as my input method on my phone so auto correct sometimes kicks in. I'll leave it as is but you get my meaning.