PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom 2040: SHOCKINGLY Good

Scowling Dragon
2016-07-17, 08:37 PM
Well I decided to check out the Phantom 2040. A cyberpunk adaptation of "The Phantom".

All points should have made this a bad show. Its a "FUTURE" adaptation of a character that's fallen out of public favor, its from the 90s, with Toyetic designs, and a pretty small budget.

But its SHOCKINGLY good. At least from a writing perspective.

The animation and voice acting and music an just general design is pretty weak. Though its helped by having the guy who made Aeon Flux working on it, the animation is very stilted. And scene transitions are just awkward. Its not BAD, just limited.

But the writing....Its shockingly good. This is a genuine cyberpunk tale. And behaves in all the ways I wouldn't expect. And it even had MASSIVE twists I didn't expect. For people like me, who Found Batman Beyond more like a teeny bopper future tale with superheroes then genuine cyberpunk this did the deed a whole lot better.

It has a consistent overarching narrative, the continues episode to episode, and I would recomend it as a watch to Fans of the Phantom, fans of cyberpunk, or people in general.

Hopeless
2016-07-18, 04:07 AM
Its one of those series you can't help wondering why it wasn't released on dvd, did they ever explain the climax regarding the current Phantom's father's warning?

Huh Region 0?
Explains why I've never seen it in the shops though!

BWR
2016-07-18, 05:22 AM
I seem to recall watching a few episodes way back and not being impressed. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Quild
2016-07-18, 07:00 AM
I remember liking that show a lot when I was a kid, but don't remember it much otherwise.
Maybe worth a new look.

I also had the movie on VHS, not sure I have something to read it anymore.