View Full Version : Index Chapter 1: The Barbarian (Race x Class Guide)

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 09:43 PM
Race x Class Guide (Chapter 1: Barbarians)

Why?

This guide is primarily focused on helping new and moderately experienced players pick a race and class combo quickly and have an effective or useful build.

Each build will have level 1 and then level 3, notes for further choices will be given. Once you get to level 8 I assume you can take it from there won't really need my help.

Perhaps some more experienced players will find this useful as well.

I've play a ton of 5e thanks to different circumstances, I've either played the builds I'm going to suggest in campaigns or one shots, while others I've seen in action being played by other players.

I’m assuming CRAWford rulings.

Each RacexClass will have a level 1 or 2 and then a level 8 build. At first I'll just start off with the level 1 builds, a little vague but eventually go into a bit more in depth. If I ever stop being specific about something it is because it isn't in the SRD and I don't wanna get in trouble :)

These will not always be the most optimal, most damage dealing, most crazy builds. These are for general use and will be useful and competent at at least one role outside of damage (as everyone can do damage).

Legend?

I'll rate subclasses based on how nice they are to new players. Remember I'm using Crawford Raw on this.

Blue: Excellent for new players
Purple: Not all that great for new players
Red: Not really great for anyone.

Fancy Art?

Maybe someday I'll add some fancy art to this, but I have no ability sooo...

Chapter 1: The Barbarian
The barbarian is typically a smash n bash class, depending on your race your role will change.

Bear Totem : Fantastic for damage dealer or controller barbarian. Really this is pretty much your stock barbarian type. Great for new players.
Wolf Totem: Fantastic for a controller type or dex barbarian. I will be using this to primarily make Barbtroller builds. Good for new players, great for moderate or experienced players.
Eagle Totem: This is a bad choice for new players. You can make it work, but not only is it boring but it takes two features that other classes can use at-will and shoves them into the rage mechanic. At least it doesn't try to kill/hurt you.
Beserker: Using CRAWford rules, this is a terrible choice for new players.

Rage
While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:

You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Unarmored Defense

While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Reckless Attack

Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.

Danger Sense

At 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger.

You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can’t be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.

Primal Path

At 3rd level, you choose a path that shapes the nature of your rage. Only the "Path of the Berserker" is detailed here. Additional paths are described in the official source material, as well as in products by other publishers. The choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th levels. Additional paths are available in the original source material.

Ability Score Improvement

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Attack

Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Fast Movement

Starting at 5th level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you aren’t wearing heavy armor.

Feral Instinct

By 7th level, your instincts are so honed that you have advantage on initiative rolls.

Additionally, if you are surprised at the beginning of combat and aren’t incapacitated, you can act normally on your first turn, but only if you enter your rage before doing anything else on that turn.

Hill Dwarf Folk Hero Barbarian Level 1

The boy who cried studied wolves

Str: 14
Dex: 15
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Prof: +2

HP: 16
AC: 17 (Unarmored + Shield)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 25
Proficient Saves: Strength and Constitution

Skills: Athletics, Animal Handling, Perception, and Survival

Rages: 2/Long Rest

Weapon Attack: +3 Versus AC, Battleaxe (1d8 + 1 dmg), Handaxe (1d4 + 1 dmg), and Javelin (1d6 + 1 dmg)

Note:You can't get a 16 strength off the bat. You won't be caring about damage though. You are building a Wolf Totem Barbarian with this build and will have high AC, high HP, and a really nifty ability while raging (check the PHB). At level 4 you will take a Athlete (Dex). You are a prime candidate for being tripped, this negates most of the problem with that and gives you a boost in dex! . Your Non-Rage Action should be spent using the Help Action, Dodge Action, or Searching the area for issues. You can attack but you won't be doing uber damage.

Also, use roleplaying to antagonize enemies. Like, really give them some sick burns. Either the DM will find this funny and have the enemies attack you (cause you dis their moms) or the DM will take it personal and want to make you less arrogant and the enemies attack you. Either way with your high AC and HP and a fair DM (don't put enemies on blast too much or critical rocks might fall) you will make an excellent tank/supporter. At level 8 I would go with a +2 to Str, Dex, or Con. You could also go with a feat such as Mobile for more mobility (great for your build), shield master (great for your build), or tavern brawler (hit with shield + grapple = target can't get away from granting Advantage when you are raging). When I build the level 8 version of this I'll make a decision for what I think is best for this Hill Dwarf.

Additionally with Extra Attack + Advantage on Strength Checks you can athletics pretty good for a moderate strength character. Most creatures don't have great ability checks in this game.

Mountain Dwarf Acolyte Barbarian Level 1

Mountain Shaman or the librarian barbarian (if you take sage background... Really really passionate about their books)

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 13

(you may change Int and Wis if you like, I chose Int due to background being Int based)

HP: 14
AC: 14 (Unarmored)

Skills: Athletics, Nature, Religion, and Insight

Weapon Attack: +5 Versus AC, greataxe (1d12 + 3)

At Higher Level Notes: With this we are building a typical bear totem barbarian. As with the wolf totem you will want to antagonize the DM's NPCs using roleplaying. Sick burns all around.

At level 4 however, you will be doing something... Weird. You will be taking ritual caster (dependent on where you put the 13, int or wis). You will be doing some good damage at that point (plus resistance to lots of damage types) so expanding your non-damage capabilities will be key. At level 8 you can boost whichever score you like by +2 or pick up a feat, I'll make a specific build later.

Side Note: Find Familiar is only slightly cheesy, but makes for a great spirit companion to help out your allies in battle.

High Elf Sage Barbarian Level 1

You were kicked out of your home for researching taboo topics... You have somehow survived all this time...

Str: 13
Int: 16
Wis: 10

AC: 14 (Unarmored) 16 (unarmored + shield)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30

Skills: Athletics, Arcana, History, Nature, and Perception
Racial Spell: Shocking Grasp, Firebolt, or Ray of Frost

Weapon Attack: +4 Versus AC, rapier (1d8 + 2)

Level Notes: With this we are building another Wolf Totem barbarian. As with all Barbarians you will want to antagonize the DM's NPCs using roleplaying. Let your sick burns melt steal beams. Make sure to use Athletic checks while raging, you can also use the help action and then move to another creature in order to give more allies advantage. What makes you different from the Dwarven Wolf Totem is that while not raging you can deal weapon damage or rely on your racial spell choice. Even though Frostbite isn't a PHB or SRD spell... I can't recommend it enough. However for now I'll stick with srd/phb and recommend a spell like Shocking Grasp or Firebolt.

There are many things to do at level 4, you can take +2 Int, Shield Master, or as I'm going to suggest... Magic Initiate Wizard for two more cantrips and a first level spell. I would go with Fog Cloud or Grease for some utility. I will be suggesting grease as it doesn't require concentration and you can use it for a great get away spell or area denial spell. At level 8 you should boost your Intelligence by 2.

Wood Elf Sailor Barbarian Level 1

You owed money to the wrong person, ended up the first mate to a pirate and you always look out of place. You prefer to speak in your natural language, mostly for kicks and giggles as no one except your captain seems to understand you. You have a small temper problem and no one really likes you when you lose at chess.

Wis: 14
Cha: 12

AC: 14 (Unarmored) 16 (unarmored + shield)
Speed: 35

Skills: Athletics, Perception, Survival, Intimidation, and Stealth

Weapon Attack: +4 Versus AC, battleaxe (1d8 + 2)

Level Notes: With this we are building another Bear Totem barbarian. However you won't be going to typical route. You see, going into rage doesn't really require you to make noise. Fun times. Now, you won't be a Rogue (as expertise is broken and BA hide is delicious) but you can hide while lightly obscured and you will be able to grapple quite well. Sneak up on an enemy, go into rage, grab enemy, restrain enemy, then beat on enemy (without needing reckless attack) until it dies or is knocked out. Your goal is to chose one creature and make it a non-factor in battle by subduing it (great if you need to interrogate or abduct a creature).

At level 4 you will take the Grappler feat, yes I know that most of the feat is terrible, but you are a Bear Totem that will be working as a utility helper and not the primary damage dealer. Being able to restrain a creature is fantastic.

Restrained

* A restrained creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
* Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.
* The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

At level 8 I would either boost Strength by +2 or pick up Magic Initiate (Druid) for Guidance (for your sneaking while not raging), Control Flames, and Fog Cloud... The image of your fog dissipating due to you going into rage is a mighty fine role-playing ability that should give you some advantage on a Intimidation check. You will typically use it to hide but there are other uses for it. Alternatively you can pick up Goodberry, Detect Magic, or Healing Word instead of Fog Cloud. Alternatively you could also grab Tavern Brawler, grapple an enemy and bash them with a shield, face to face attack, or a kick to the shins.

Lightfoot Halfling Urchin Barbarian 1

"This isn't my first rodeo" - Halfling at her second rodeo

Dex: 16
Wis: 13
Cha: 10

AC: 15 (Unarmored) 17 (unarmored + shield)

Skills: Athletics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Perception

Weapon Attack: You will want to use daggers or rapiers. Daggers make for a decent thrown weapon.

Level Notes: You will be making a Wolf Totem Barbarian that uses the maneuver "Climb Onto Bigger Creature". Use this on an enemy or on an ally that will be around enemies. Either way those enemies are granting your allies advantage when you rage. When you rage you gain advantage on athletics checks. Also, with a +5 to Sleight of Hand you may as well steal from enemies while you are climbing all over them. The best part about all this is that while riding a creature you can hide from other creatures :D. Raging doesn't really require you to not be hiding and I really love the idea of creatures having that "I'm being hunted" feeling even though they don't know why.

At level 4 you will take the Resilient Wis because i'm sure your DM will start trying to mind blast you at this point. At level 8 I would just boost strength by 2.

Getting Stupid: Ok, so sometimes we like to play stupid characters and this Barbarian is probably the best at it. A stupid character is one where someone will say "Really?" in a tone that just can't. Getting stupid isn't a bad thing, just you need to watch how far your take it. People generally laugh at you until they see how much fun you are having.

Nothing that I've seen in the mount section of the game says that the mount has to be a specific type of animal. It doesn't even say "beast". Fun times. At level 4 you are going to take the "Mounted Combat" feat and apply it to your ally that you happen to be riding. You shall use your reaction to take an attack from them to yourself and your ally even gains evasion! By climbing on your ally, and raging, you can give them advantage on attacks, evasion, and redirect an attack at yourself.

Stout Halfling Noble Barbarian 1

Note: Change Persuasion to Intimidation... You aren't a fancy noble, you are a barbarian noble.

Str: 15
Dex: 16
Cha: 10

AC: 15 (Unarmored) 17 (unarmored + shield)

Skills: Athletics, History, Survival, Intimidation

Weapon Attack: Warhammer (2H) (may switch for longsword or battle axe) +4 Attack, 1d10+2 damage. This is not a heavy weapon so don't worry about it. You can use this one handed or two handed.

Level Notes: With this you will be making a mostly typical Bear Totem Barbarian. At level 4 you will want to pick up Athlete since you are a primary target for tripping and your speed isn't the greatest to begin with, that +1 Str is awesome. Do remember that you can go through enemy spaces if they are at least one size larger than you, but they are difficult terrain. You will always be using reckless attack for the most part so either boost your Str by 2 at level 8 OR pick up mobile which will essentially make you a Bear-Eagle Barbarian.

You aren't going to be AS annoying as your cousin the Lightfoot but you are a lot simpler to play.

Human
Dragonborn
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Tiefling

Got my saved posts in!

Eventually I will want to put these builds to a character sheet and then post the character sheet.

I'll up date this from time to time, Chapter 2 (Bard) will come later. Some day I'll get to Wizard :P

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 09:45 PM
Saved Post 1 of 4

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 09:46 PM
Saved Post 2 of 4

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 09:47 PM
Saved Post 3 of 4

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 09:48 PM
Saved Post 4 of 4

MylesOtter
2016-07-27, 03:24 PM
I'm eager to see what you come up with for halflings!

R.Shackleford
2016-07-27, 03:41 PM
I'm eager to see what you come up with for halflings!

Small Spoiler

Strength (Athletics): Climb onto a bigger creature.

:smallsmile:

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-27, 04:13 PM
Stout halfling barbarians are incredibly powerful...sacrifice 1 attack/damage for max defense + luck.

But I can't imagine wanting to rp one unless it was truly CE and insane, forcing the party to wheel him around strapped to a vertical gurney a la Hannibal Lecter. Screw social skills. And screw hunting - cut the straps for combat and eat the random encounter monsters afterward!

JumboWheat01
2016-07-27, 04:16 PM
Don't Ghostwise Halflings have a history with barbarism and the Barbarian class? It could merely be a Stout who grew up with the Ghostwise. Ghostwise aren't exactly known for being evil, merely unpleasant. Well, more than merely unpleasant, VERY unpleasant.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-27, 04:23 PM
Don't Ghostwise Halflings have a history with barbarism and the Barbarian class? It could merely be a Stout who grew up with the Ghostwise. Ghostwise aren't exactly known for being evil, merely unpleasant. Well, more than merely unpleasant, VERY unpleasant.

Perhaps but I'm sticking with SRD/PHB for this guide as I don't want to assume the player has more than that. Someone in a group will have a PHB and everyone will have access to the SRD.

:smallsmile:

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-27, 04:48 PM
My inspirations for the character idea were the awful, grey-skinned butcher knife-wielding halflings from act 3 in Diablo 2.

MylesOtter
2016-07-27, 05:18 PM
... I can't imagine wanting to rp one unless it was truly CE and insane, forcing the party to wheel him around strapped to a vertical gurney a la Hannibal Lecter.

I'm thinking of making one for the next game that I get into that thinks of himself as an intellectual. He's an alchemist who's not as smart as he thinks he is, but he's convinced he's discovered the secret to winning any fight with the white powder he's concocted. A little sniff and off he goes.

The idea is that he's more of a berserker than a barbarian, though the Barbarian class ruleset fits for him. I've been wondering about how I want to make the build, which is why I've been watching this thread.

Eladain
2016-07-27, 06:51 PM
I'm actually running a Stout Halfling barbarian currently. It's very similar to the wood elf build (variant sailor background). He'll probably go tavern brawler @4 and has become enamored with watching the groups rogue and wizard perform their 'tricks' so at 6 he'll probably multiclass into rogue and potential arcane trickster for fun stuff like the OP mentioned: Grease, Fog Cloud, etc... So far he's been a blast to play. Basically climbing larger creatures and grappling their faces provides for some great imagery.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-27, 08:05 PM
I'm actually running a Stout Halfling barbarian currently. It's very similar to the wood elf build (variant sailor background). He'll probably go tavern brawler @4 and has become enamored with watching the groups rogue and wizard perform their 'tricks' so at 6 he'll probably multiclass into rogue and potential arcane trickster for fun stuff like the OP mentioned: Grease, Fog Cloud, etc... So far he's been a blast to play. Basically climbing larger creatures and grappling their faces provides for some great imagery.

Thanks for some feedback on that type of build!

Arcane Trickster is a fantastic MC for the Barbarian even with low Int. You can really get some mileage out of the spells you pick up. Rogue has some of the best low levels in the game, Cunning Action is absolutely beastly on a barbarian (effectively making you a better version of the Eagle totem).

Tavern Brawler is in the running for my favorite feat in the game.

treecko
2016-07-27, 08:53 PM
An interesting take on a guide. However, your purple is not very purple.

Eladain
2016-07-27, 09:03 PM
Thanks for some feedback on that type of build!

Arcane Trickster is a fantastic MC for the Barbarian even with low Int. You can really get some mileage out of the spells you pick up. Rogue has some of the best low levels in the game, Cunning Action is absolutely beastly on a barbarian (effectively making you a better version of the Eagle totem).

Tavern Brawler is in the running for my favorite feat in the game.

Honestly it has felt a bit OP, because our DM let us roll stats for this campaign. We almost ALWAYS use the standard array so it was rather shocking. 18(20) Dex and 15(16) Con and he's been rocking 20 AC with his rapier+Shield since level 1. He's now level 3 and I've rolled 11's for my HP on both level ups so he's at 43 HP (86 effectively with Bear totem), 20 AC, +5 Fort, +5 Dex(Plus danger sense for adv on a lot of those) and the next level feat is a tossup between tavern brawler and Res(Wis) to shore up all 3 major saves.

*Just tossing a quick edit on this to say I'm fully aware that it's felt so strong due to rolled stats at low lvl. AC won't scale very well aside from a magic shield or items like ring of protection.

I think the only difference in my build is Acrobatics over Survival. Mainly because it's just not a skill we seem to use a lot in my group.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-27, 09:49 PM
An interesting take on a guide. However, your purple is not very purple.

Eh, the red and blue are a lighter tint so I didn't really want to go with a shade on the purple.

The colors aren't a real big section of the guide so I'm not too worried about it.

I'll update this guide tomorrow. I was going to tonight but my wife took me out for impromptu steak night.

Klorox
2016-07-28, 01:09 AM
Bravo, keep it up!

I don't know what it is exactly, but I dig that hill dwarf barbarian. It's like you're going with the DEX barb but cooler.

What are these 'CRAWford rulings' you mention?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-28, 05:45 AM
Bravo, keep it up!

I don't know what it is exactly, but I dig that hill dwarf barbarian. It's like you're going with the DEX barb but cooler.

What are these 'CRAWford rulings' you mention?

Thank your.

RAW rulings are "rules as written". Jeremy Crawford puts out answers to questions about the game and is typically works with RAW.

I'm working under the assumption of his rulings if a rule question ever comes up.

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-28, 11:20 AM
Mountain dwarf alternative for more defensively focused, though vulnerable to wis save attacks: max str, con and dex, +1ing the former two with your first ASI, while taking dex resilience and then MAM with your next two. Last two ASIs can see you either max out str or con, or let one or both stay at 18 for helpful feats.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-28, 11:48 AM
Mountain dwarf alternative for more defensively focused, though vulnerable to wis save attacks: max str, con and dex, +1ing the former two with your first ASI, while taking dex resilience and then MAM with your next two. Last two ASIs can see you either max out str or con, or let one or both stay at 18 for helpful feats.

You do not need to boost strength or con further than what I have. 16 Strength is fine, you get advantage and damage boost. As a bonus an ally may give you bless... You just don't need to boost strength over 16. :)

You are optimizing for one thing instead of making a build for a new player to learn the game.

This isn't that type of guide. :smallsmile: