PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed what to do with 100% crit chance dagger (95%)

you randomly
2016-07-18, 08:29 AM
in the campaign i'm currently in thee DM has given me a dagger which along with some other cool things has a crit range of 10-20 and crit damage of 1d10+1 which he then allowed me to double using mauling gauntlets bound to my arms.

my char is currently level 16 with 9 levels of incarnate (who has the ability to shape all soulmelds) 1 level of binder and 6 levels of chameleon

i was wondering if there was anything interesting i could do with this dagger to maybe get more damage out of it

khadgar567
2016-07-18, 09:22 AM
dip rouge and find way to pump that sneak attack then go shiv the big bad

legomaster00156
2016-07-18, 09:27 AM
dip rouge and find way to pump that sneak attack then go shiv the big bad
Sneak Attack is not multiplied on a crit.

you randomly
2016-07-18, 09:33 AM
i don't see how the sneak attack helps specifically with a crit based weapon as crit damage wouldn't be multiplied but i could take craven which would get multiplied when im steak attacking

edit *can some one tell me how to quote*

Deadline
2016-07-18, 09:38 AM
edit *can some one tell me how to quote*

There is a "Reply with quote" link in the bottom right corner of every post. Click that and it will automatically insert the quote. That will also show you the BBCode for a quote in case you ever want to manually insert a quote.

you randomly
2016-07-18, 09:41 AM
There is a "Reply with quote" link in the bottom right corner of every post. Click that and it will automatically insert the quote. That will also show you the BBCode for a quote in case you ever want to manually insert a quote.

thanks for the help :)

OldTrees1
2016-07-18, 09:52 AM
Can you enchant the dagger further? If so add the "On Crit, Prismatic Spray on foe" enchantment

Flickerdart
2016-07-18, 10:04 AM
You want to add flat damage to the dagger, so that it's multiplied on crit. Sadly, as a light weapon, you cannot Power Attack with it. The collision enchantment is a straightforward +5 damage for a +2 enhancement bonus.

You can also add extra goodies that trigger on a crit:
Bodyfeeder which gives you temporary HP equal to the damage dealt every time you score a crit, for a +3 bonus. Since you crit all the time, you will be very difficult to kill through HP damage.
Coup de grace causes all critted foes to make a DC 27 Will save or be paralyzed for one round. +5 bonus.
Soulbreaker causes a negative level on every critical hit. +3 bonus.

you randomly
2016-07-18, 10:21 AM
unfortunately the i don't think the weapon can be enchanted further as it is an artifact, i do feel as though power attacking is still worth it as it will always at least work out as though im 2 handing the weapon due to the minimum crit damage being 2

on the body feeder thing the weapon does heal me for half the damage dealt which im augmenting slightly by using the therapeutic mantle so the weapon heals for 1/2 damage delt+9+(2/essentia)

Flickerdart
2016-07-18, 10:36 AM
unfortunately the i don't think the weapon can be enchanted further as it is an artifact, i do feel as though power attacking is still worth it as it will always at least work out as though im 2 handing the weapon due to the minimum crit damage being 2
Daggers are light weapons, so they give no Power Attack damage no matter how many hands you use.

you randomly
2016-07-18, 10:46 AM
Daggers are light weapons, so they give no Power Attack damage no matter how many hands you use.

ah, missed that bit, does this apply still even if i make me and the weapon large sized im assuming no

i have a question as im a chameleon i have floating bonus feat and mimic class feature could i use the the fact that i am able to perform a sneak attack using the ability to qualify for craven? or could i do something like use my binder level with improved binding and bind malphas and then take my floating feat as craven

WhamBamSam
2016-07-18, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, it's a dagger, so Roundabout Kick/Lightning Mace abuse are probably out. You're a Chameleon though, so maybe you could use Lightning Mace by casting Weapon Shift on it repeatedly throughout the day (assuming you can snag all the prereq feats in an expedient manner). Even if you're not looking to go that cheesy, Weapon Shift could make the weapon into a two-handed weapon for Power Attack purposes as well as a candidate for Greater Mighty Wallop, which would have its significant damage boost multiplied.

Knight Magenta
2016-07-18, 11:35 AM
Not sure if your game allows pathfinder things, but there are a range of feats (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Feats.aspx?Category=Critical) that add an effect on a critical.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2016-07-18, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately, it's a dagger, so Roundabout Kick/Lightning Mace abuse are probably out. You're a Chameleon though, so maybe you could use Lightning Mace by casting Weapon Shift on it repeatedly throughout the day (assuming you can snag all the prereq feats in an expedient manner). Even if you're not looking to go that cheesy, Weapon Shift could make the weapon into a two-handed weapon for Power Attack purposes as well as a candidate for Greater Mighty Wallop, which would have its significant damage boost multiplied.

Aptitude property. And the stance Blood in the Water will give you +1 to hit and damage, untyped, for every crit you get during an encounter.

Check out any crit-fisher builds for suggestions.

GreyBlack
2016-07-18, 11:46 AM
Find a way to channel spells, such as Duskblade 3. Hitting with a critical on a channeled spell allows you to critical hit with the spell, dealing double damage.

ETA: Actually, dipping Duskblade 3 and taking Practiced Spellcaster will let you add an additional (5d6)x2 electricity damage to your attack. Because Shocking Grasp.

Telonius
2016-07-18, 12:33 PM
This would be amazing if you had a few more levels to work it into the build, but would require feats and level dips that you probably don't have room for at this point.

Is Dragon material allowed? The "Supremely Confident" feat would let you demoralize as a free action when you crit.

Do you already have Power Attack, and are you a goody two-shoes? Resounding Blow and Quell the Profane (from Book of Exalted Deeds) add on some effects to confirmed crits. Power Attack is a prereq, but there's no limitation on weapon type, and nothing that says you have to be actually power attacking to gain the benefit.

Rogue plus Telling Blow and Craven would let you not have to worry about whether your enemy is flanked or flat-footed ever again.

Sian
2016-07-18, 12:59 PM
Find a way to channel spells, such as Duskblade 3. Hitting with a critical on a channeled spell allows you to critical hit with the spell, dealing double damage.

ETA: Actually, dipping Duskblade 3 and taking Practiced Spellcaster will let you add an additional (5d6)x2 electricity damage to your attack. Because Shocking Grasp.

But Duskblade 3 can only channel into a standard attack, so he'd lose a few attacks.

Do you already have Power Attack, and are you a goody two-shoes? Resounding Blow and Quell the Profane (from Book of Exalted Deeds) add on some effects to confirmed crits. Power Attack is a prereq, but there's no limitation on weapon type, and nothing that says you have to be actually power attacking to gain the benefit.

Resounding Blow is a General feat so you can still take it to your hearts content, even if you're eviler than Demogorgon

you randomly
2016-07-18, 01:03 PM

funnily enough the weapon does also have the ability to channel touch attack through it but i asked the gm and he said the spells wouldn't crit unless i rolled a 20 and then they would only do 2x damage

WhamBamSam
2016-07-18, 01:23 PM
Aptitude property. And the stance Blood in the Water will give you +1 to hit and damage, untyped, for every crit you get during an encounter.

Check out any crit-fisher builds for suggestions.He said that he can't add more enhancements to it, because of reasons, otherwise I might have suggested that.

GreyBlack
2016-07-18, 04:10 PM
But Duskblade 3 can only channel into a standard attack, so he'd lose a few attacks.

Losing out on iterative attacks isn't as big a deal as it sounds; you're generally not going to hit with the iterative attacks anyway, so it's not a big loss.

funnily enough the weapon does also have the ability to channel touch attack through it but i asked the gm and he said the spells wouldn't crit unless i rolled a 20 and then they would only do 2x damage

Is this a flat rule from the DM that spells only crit on a 20? What would have happened if you took Improved Critical (touch attack)? Generally speaking, when you hit with the attack, you hit with the whole thing in the same way. Think of it this way: If you dig your sword in to the dragon so deep that you hit a vital organ and THEN shock the organ with lightning, wouldn't that be extra damage/effect? That's essentially what getting a critical hit is; you're hitting a vital spot on an enemy.

And, mechanically, it makes very little sense to channel the spell if you didn't get the benefit of the crit range of the weapon; if you don't have an improved chance to deal at least x2 damage, then why wouldn't you just cast touch spells? Easier to hit, less likely to dodge....

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-18, 04:40 PM
i don't see how the sneak attack helps specifically with a crit based weapon as crit damage wouldn't be multiplied but i could take craven which would get multiplied when im steak attacking
There's the Telling Blow feat, which adds SA damage to each critical hit. If you already happen to have SA, it's a nice investment.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-18, 07:33 PM
Add the manyfang enhancement from Serpent Kingdoms to get x4 damage (x5 on a crit), then the morphing and sizing enhancements to the dagger to turn it into other kinds of weapons with better weapon damage and better crit multipliers (to add to the extra damage the manyfang enhancement gives you -- for instance, a x3 weapon becomes a x6 weapon on a crit). Add collision onto that, as mentioned, and you get some very nice damage out of it. Then start looking at on- (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/magweapon-ability.shtml)crit enhancements with high (or no) DCs that dole out more than just damage.

If you can't enhance it further, don't bother with it. A longsword would be better in every way.

Malimar
2016-07-18, 08:12 PM
As you can't enchant it, my thoughts turn to weapon augment crystals (Magic Item Compendium), which should work. But the only ones with anything worthwhile that's crit-related are Greater Demolition Crystal (can critical against constructs) and Greater Truedeath Crystal (can critical against undead).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-19, 04:30 AM
If you have a high Str and Dex both, grab some levels in swordsage and take the Shadow Blade feat to double both Str and Dex to damage when you crit? If they're high enough, you might be able to overcome the damage you'd deal with a plain longsword and fighting two-handed (though you still probably won't overcome the average longsword damage WITH critical hits factored in). A tooth of Leraje (from Tome of Magic) will grant you another +5 enhancement bonus to damage, as well. You still won't come close to what you'd do with Power Attack, Shock Trooper, and a longsword even with all those feats, but that's the price you pay for using this terrible weapon.

You may want to find a way to get yourself some self-buffs. Flat-damage boosters (instead of damage dice) are good. Swordsage/jade phoenix mage, maybe? Get lots of boosts, flat-damage maneuvers, and as many flat-damage buffs as you can manage.

Necroticplague
2016-07-19, 12:09 PM
Blood in the Water stance would be awesome with this.