PDA

View Full Version : Help With Rituals

Death_Lord12
2016-07-18, 03:53 PM
I was looking through Lords of Darkness and saw all of the various rituals. I was wondering if there were any other rituals like these and where I can find them.

Any source is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thurbane
2016-07-18, 10:49 PM
Not too familiar with the rituals in LoD, but UA has various Incantantions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm)?

There's also some Ceremony feats that allow you to perform rituals (Armor of Scales, Blessing of the Godless, Fell Conspiracy, Heart of Dragons, Ritual Blessing, Ritual Blood Bonds, Ritual Transference, Slayer of Dragons and Words of Draconic Power)...

Chronikoce
2016-07-19, 09:29 AM
I've never read the rules you're talking about but if you mean Rituals as in ritual spellcasting then Spheres of Power (PF 3rd party) has rules I like.

Inevitability
2016-07-20, 04:07 AM
Savage Species has rituals that can give a creature elemental or alignment subtypes, as well as rituals that make it aquatic, incorporeal, or completely change its race.

Thurbane
2016-07-20, 04:40 AM
I was looking through Lords of Darkness and saw all of the various rituals. I was wondering if there were any other rituals like these and where I can find them.

Any source is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I was AFB when I answered above, but I've flicked through my copy - where are the rituals you mentioned in the book? I might have failed a Search check, but I can't see what you're referring to?

Jowgen
2016-07-20, 06:50 AM
For everyone's information, OP is referring to the the Ritual of the dark flames (LoD p. 11) and Ritual of Shadow Walking (LoD p. 125) type rituals that are scattered through that book. Pay exp and gp, get some sort of permanent ability that often involved ability damage (great with Naberius).

Thurbane
2016-07-20, 12:21 PM
For everyone's information, OP is referring to the the Ritual of the dark flames (LoD p. 11) and Ritual of Shadow Walking (LoD p. 125) type rituals that are scattered through that book. Pay exp and gp, get some sort of permanent ability that often involved ability damage (great with Naberius).

Wow, those are kind of awesome - never noticed them before!

I can see some potential abuse...maybe not suitable for low op games. Although that's par for the course in a lot of FR splats. :smallbiggrin:

Green and Red
2016-07-24, 07:44 AM
Theres a 3rd party book, Sword & Sorcery: Relics and Rituals, that has some rather extensive rules for rituals.

Basically theres three types of things:

Rituals which are essentially used to boost existing spells by adding the effect of more metamagic feats in exchange for a long casttime and some materials.

Rituals which boost existing spells by having multiple casters work/cast together, adding some of their effects like range or damage together to some degree.

True Rituals, which are big things, generally requiring extreme amounts of time and resources, lots of casters of certain power, but do huge things like rearrange the landscape, create permanent magic locations, attach big templates to the target and so on.

Gruftzwerg
2016-07-24, 04:54 PM
Kobolds' Draconic Rite of Passage, can be found in Races of the Dragon. Gives access to a lvl1 spell as sorcerer
and there is a web enhancement for the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage
Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)

Thurbane
2016-07-24, 08:02 PM
I guess obtaining the Dragonborn (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b) template might count as a ritual (Rite of Rebirth) as well...

Âmesang
2016-07-24, 08:35 PM
I typically think of epic spells when it comes to "rituals," though instead of creating a spell that requires X number of participants I prefer making them variable; that way the caster could produce an effect by himself, but the act of having participants will increase the effect as needed.

Thurbane
2016-08-01, 05:58 AM
So if I'm not missing any, the rituals in LoD are:

Ritual of Terror’s Allegiance: Bonus on will save which is more effective against fear, for 1000gp and some XP
The Rite of Dread Presence: Fear 1/day, for some XP
The Ritual of Black Charms: Charm Person and Suggestion 1/day each, for 500gp and some XP
The Ritual of Honest Pain: +2 on some Cha based skills and undetectable lies, for 2 Con
The Ritual of Shadow Walking: A limited version of Shadow Walk/Dimension Door that causes Con and HP damage, for 500gp and some XP
The Ritual of the Dark Flames: Eldritch blast-like ability that causes 2 Wis damage each time you use it, for 100gp and some XP
The Ritual of the Shadowmantle: A one minute/day power that gives a bonus to Intimidate and AC, darkvision and a bonus on saves against certain effects, for 2000gp and some XP

...is it just me, or is it like they threw something at a dartboard to determine the ritual cost, instead of trying to in any way relate it to the power of what you gain?

I can see a lot of abuse potential for these, especially if you bind Naberius or have Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest).

These are all Su, by the way, so no SR is allowed. The Ritual of the Dark Flames also scales damage a lot faster than the Warlock, and isn't specifically called out as any damage type (although it's implied that it's either negative energy, or maybe fire). The only drawback (if you can handle the ability damage) is the 10 foot range. If it IS negative energy, you'll be very popular with any undead allies.

I can see this being a nice ability in a Binder 1/Rogue 19 build: 20d6+10d6 SA touch attack that MAY just be untyped and isn't susceptible to SR. Throw in the Empower Supernatural Ability feat for when you need to nova.

OK, it's pretty specific that it's negative energy, and says it will heal undead. Tomb Tainted Soul anyone?