PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dervish defender, solar wind and trashing dragon focus

Alexander leah
2016-07-18, 04:09 PM
hey guys, i'm building my first path of war charcter, i would like to build a dual wielding character that can use ranged attack with solar wind, also i like solar since it will be a desert born character.
Not ideal but i would like to use a two short spear, seems that should be doable right?

i start at lv3 with 25 point buy, any specific advice?

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-19, 08:35 AM
TWF is feat intensive, ranged weapons are feat intensive. You're going to need a lot of feats, so I suggest going human for your race.

Ranged feats you need: Quick Draw, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, (Maybe) charging hurler, (Maybe) Distance Thrower

Two weapon fighting feats you need: Prodigious Two Weapon Fighting* (PoW: Expanded), Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, (maybe) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Other feats you need: Weapon Finesse (Or Polearm Dancer* from Path of War: Expanded), Deadly Agility

You'll want to be Dexterity based, obviously. Something like:

STR: 13 DEX: 18 CON: 12 INT: 16 WIS: 10 CHA: 10

Will get you what you want, stat wise.

Now, there's a problem specific to the build that you want because of the weapons you want to wield. That is, shortspears are One Handed weapons, not light weapons. They can't be finessed, and can't gain the benefits of Deadly Agility as a result and you will be taking significantly greater penalties to your attack rolls when TWFing than you would otherwise. Unfortunately, the only solution to this that I am aware of is found in Path of War: Expanded.

The two feats I starred are from Path of War: Expanded and they are necessary to pull off the character build as you described. In order to use Deadly Agility with spears, you need Polearm Dancer (which also acts as Weapon Finesse). In order to effectively TWF with two one handed weapons, you need Prodigious Two Weapon Fighting, which has a prerequisite of STR 13. This is a significant added feat tax that could cause you some issues, sorry. If Path of War: Expanded material isn't available to you at this time, you may want to adjust your build to use daggers or something.

Here are some suggested feat progressions:

RF- Polearm Dancer
BF1- Two Weapon Fighting
BF1- Combat Reflexes (Int)
1- Prodigious Two Weapon Fighting
3- Deadly Agility
BF3- Point Blank Shot

RF- Weapon Finesse
BF1- Two Weapon Fighting
1- Deadly Agility
3- Point Blank Shot
BF3- Precise Shot

The last thing you need, and I emphasize need is a Blinkback Belt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-blink-back). Pray your GM is reasonable and that he'll let you stack its effects with the Belt of Dexterity you'll also need.

As for maneuvers, you're at least lucky in that there's some more synergy between Thrashing Dragon and Solar Wind. Thrashing Dragon has some throwing weapon specific maneuvers that are fairly decent, and Solar Wind is a ranged discipline so its maneuvers are compatible with thrown weapons as well. You should be able to use the two in conjunction to shore up your damage and effects while you wait for your build to fill out.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-19, 12:01 PM
There is a way to avoid the blinkback belt, but it involves (you guessed it) MORE feats. Ricochet Toss from the Weapon Master's Handbook bounces the weapons back immediately with no limit, but requires Martial Focus for a non-fighter to take it, plus Quick Draw.

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-19, 12:04 PM
There is a way to avoid the blinkback belt, but it involves (you guessed it) MORE feats. Ricochet Toss from the Weapon Master's Handbook bounces the weapons back immediately with no limit, but requires Martial Focus for a non-fighter to take it, plus Quick Draw.

Ah, I didn't know about that feat. Almost decent.

Alexander leah
2016-07-23, 03:17 AM
all dreamscarred press material is allowed, i was thinking to use on my second spear an effortless lace, making it a light weapon, then since polearm dance would make me use wepon finesse with spears i could go with deadly agility without prodigius two weapon fight, the DM has already approved.

so i thinked of a feat chain really similar to yours:

RF- Polearm Dancer
BF1- Two Weapon Fighting
1- - Point Blank Shot
3- Deadly Agility
BF3- precise shot

my plan for the time being is to use 2 stances, the first is the solarwind one that letme recover thrown weapons for thwn i fight at distance, the second one is the thashing dragon one for more damage when melee engaged
i wanted also to add some manouver from a third discipline, one of the more mystical one, to reflect the fact that my character has been trained from a mysterius master with strange abilities, which discipline would mesh well with solar wind and thrashing dragon?