PDA

View Full Version : Tritons - not merfolk

necrochicken
2016-07-18, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

This is my spin on a race for 5e that was demanded of me.

THE TRITON

Teh fluf
Tritons are a race of humanoids that reside beneath the waves. Unlike merfolk, Tritons have legs, and some have been known to lead lives on the surface. There are two distinct types of tritons: the shallows and the deeps.

The shallows are militants by nature, fending off whatever ventures into their domain using guerrilla combat, be it saughain, merrow, drow, Raiders, and... well... you get the point.

Then, there's the Deeps. More philosophical than their shallow kin, Deep Tritons have adapted better magic, suited for the darkness where they make their homes. Their presence is known to calm even the most aggresive of personalitys.

Deh stats
Tritons
Amphibious : you can breathe air and water.
Of the sea: you must drink 1.5 time as much water in normal climates, and 3 times as much water in extreme heat
+2 WIS

Deh subraces
The shallows
+1 DEX
Guerrilla training : non magical and non difficult terrain has no abnormal effect on the Triton
Ocean weapons: you have proficiency with a net and trident
Speed: walk 30 swim 30

The Deep
+1 INT
Deep Magic: You know the light cantrip. At 3rd level you can cast animal friendship once per long rest at its lowest level. At 5th you can cast Calm Emotions once per long rest. INT or WIS (your choice) is your spellcasting ability for the spell.
Speed: Walk 25 swim 30

Thanks, leave your comments below. Also, some wording may not have been great as English is not my first language.

PotatoGolem
2016-07-20, 08:47 AM
This race is quite underpowered- it doesn't have much going on. Also, guerrilla tactics does basically nothing- non magical non difficult terrain doesn't really affect anybody. Is the goal that when they're running across lava or thorns or whatever they're still slowed but take no damage?

necrochicken
2016-07-27, 09:07 AM
I guess we put work into not making it too overpowered, but that backfired. Would tacking on another stat upgrade feel fake, or not? Also, the guerilla training was meant to be for like thin ice and stuff but we could have it work on difficult terrain. We're at a standstill for progress so we really need improvement suggestions.
Thx

Amnoriath
2016-07-27, 09:33 AM
I guess we put work into not making it too overpowered, but that backfired. Would tacking on another stat upgrade feel fake, or not? Also, the guerilla training was meant to be for like thin ice and stuff but we could have it work on difficult terrain. We're at a standstill for progress so we really need improvement suggestions.
Thx
1. Well the main issue is that as an Aquatic race you have the speeds listed under the sub races and Of the Sea is a strict penalty. Though when properly formatted the base race is only a 3(2 stats, 1 for swim speed, .5 breathe underwater and -.5? for the additional water). Your subraces add 1.5 and 2 respectively, so without a unique and generally useful feature this is very under powered. As is the base race needs more flavor for you to construct something a little more than an aquatic humanoid and for people to get ideas to make characters with. So, please discuss your setting and how the Tritons fit in here in relation to others.
2. Difficult terrain is the only way that slows speed without magic or conditions, now travel could be a bit different but I am not sure if you have anything here that could utilize that.