PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Eberron Changelings in Pathfinder

Palanan
2016-07-18, 05:08 PM
I have a player who wants to run a changeling PC in my Pathfinder game. His concept is based around the Eberron changeling, and I'd like to know if there's any reason the Eberron version can't be dropped wholesale into Pathfinder.

Just glancing through, it seems like their signature ability is Minor Change Shape, based on disguise self. The 3.5 and Pathfinder versions of the spell are almost identical--so does the Eberron changeling even need converting? Is there anything else that might cause issues when ported over?

stack
2016-07-18, 05:19 PM
I would give the choice of +2 to any stat. I don't recall the skill bonuses but those are easily converted if they need to be at all. I certainly don't see any issue using them.

digiman619
2016-07-18, 11:17 PM
Well, making it w/ the ARG, it'd be 15 points (1 from Linguist, 2 for the immunities, 6 for the shape changing, but also unfortunately 6 for the +2 to bluff, intimidate and sense motive), but it's notoriously flaky on balance, so you should be fine.

Psyren
2016-07-19, 09:16 AM
Since it's not actually an illusion, I would eliminate any confusion entirely and just base it on Alter Self instead, cribbing the necessary language from the PF Kitsune. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune) It would work exactly like the Kitsune ability except you can take a variety of alternate forms instead of just one.

The final statblock would look like this:

Standard Racial Traits

Ability Score Racial Traits: Changeling characters share the variety of their human origins. They gain a +2 racial bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation.
Size: Changelings are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Type: Changelings are humanoids with the human and shapechanger subtypes.
Base Speed: Changelings have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Changelings begin play speaking Common. Changelings with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, and Terran.

Feat and Skill Racial Traits

Intuitive: Changelings receive a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Intimidate and Sense Motive checks.
Natural Linguist: Linguistics is always a class skill for Changelings.

Magical Racial Traits

Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance but not their possessions. A changeling can use this ability at will, and the alteration lasts until cancelled or she changes her shape again. True seeing and similar effects reveal a changeling's natural form, and she reverts to her natural form when killed. A changeling using this ability receives a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear as a member of the chosen humanoid race. Changing shape is a full-round action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the changeling does not adjust her ability scores, does not gain any natural weapons, the changeling cannot take the form of a race with a different size category than their natural form, and the changeling can remain in this form indefinitely.

Defense Racial Traits:

Occluded Mind: Changelings have a +2 racial bonus against sleep effects, charm effects, and effects that attempt to read their thoughts.

Basically, they would have more versatility in choosing their form than Kitsunes get (including the ability to mimic other Medium non-human humanoids, like elves, dwarves etc.), but in return they'd lack a Kitsune's natural weapon and magical abilities. I also threw in the bonus vs. detect thoughts abilities to help their infiltration.

Palanan
2016-07-20, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Psyren
The final statblock would look like this....

It looks great, thanks very much. I appreciate the effort to present a complete package.

I do have one question about the disguise checks. Per the wording here, the changeling gets +10 to disguise checks to appear "as a member of the chosen humanoid race." Does this mean simply passing as a generic human, elf, etc., or can this be applied to disguise checks to emulate a specific individual?

Psyren
2016-07-20, 11:48 AM
It looks great, thanks very much. I appreciate the effort to present a complete package.

I do have one question about the disguise checks. Per the wording here, the changeling gets +10 to disguise checks to appear "as a member of the chosen humanoid race." Does this mean simply passing as a generic human, elf, etc., or can this be applied to disguise checks to emulate a specific individual?

This is covered by the use of Alter Self, which inherits from Polymorph - you can't turn into a specific individual of your choice. This is where the Disguise skill comes into play - start with the generic member and then use a disguise (mundane or illusory) to specify the necessary details.