PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dashing Hero

Afgncaap5
2016-07-18, 05:40 PM
I've been encouraged to make a level 2 Fighter for a friend's game, and the idea of making an Errol Flynn-style hero. Folk Hero feels like a good background to use for a good Robin Hood or Three Musketeers vibe, at least socially, but now I'm trying to decide which fighting style and feat (using the variant human option.) To represent the "Jumping onto something, laughing, and jumping off" has a lot of good options... I think I won't be unhappy with a lot of the options, at least... but I'm trying to figure out which ways to go.

So, for fighting style: Dueling feels appropriate, but the ability to protect allies if I carry a shield feels nice as well... but not to the point that I'd move away from Dueling.

For the Feat... Athlete, Charger, Defensive Duelist, Lucky, Mobile, and Savage Attacker all look like they could fit the premise, but I feel like some would be better than others. Lucky, for instance, doesn't feel like it'll work as often as I'd want it to mechanically, and clumsily succeeding through luck when there are a few things I'd rather do through skill doesn't fit the image. Mobile is mechanically spot on, but I'm not sure if there are any red flags I'm missing.

And then we get to Martial Archetype. Part of me is thinking that this might be a fun place to diverge from the "standard archetype" with Eldritch Knight, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, any suggestions?

uraniumrooster
2016-07-18, 06:07 PM
Do you know anything about the rest of the party?

For your Fighting Style, I'd only choose Protection if you know there will be another melee character or two standing up front with you, otherwise it will tend to go to waste. I'd definitely stick with Dueling if you're going S&B, although Defense is another decent "always on" option. Also, if you're considering a Robin Hood type, Archery is really strong combined with the Sharpshooter feat as your Variant Human selection. I wouldn't do that if they're expecting you to be more of a front-line tank though.

For the Feat, Mobile is a great option. I'm currently playing an EK with Booming Blade and Mobile, and it's a lot of fun. Lucky is certainly a good option for overcoming disadvantage or cancelling an opponent's critical hit against you. Sharpshooter or Crossbow Expert are nice if you're willing to go with a ranged build, but again that depends on the party composition and what role you want to fill.

It might also be worth multiclassing with Rogue, if that's allowed in your game. Swashbuckler seems very appropriate for your concept, and fits well with Fighter (although if you're going EK, that might be too MAD unless you focus your spell selection on self-buffs and defensive spells only).

LivinlovinDM
2016-07-18, 06:15 PM
Looking through the player's handbook, I don't personally like the looks of Lucky. Here's how I'm thinking...

Athlete - speeds up action and makes daring stunts more plausible. Like it.
Charger - A free attack and +5 damage to start every battle? Might be useful especially when the battlefield is spread out.
Defensive Duelist - A must for someone without a shield
Mobile - Speed boost on top of charger, and no AOO from a single creature. You'd be like lightning.

All great feats, and they definitely fit the character. Consider...

Resilient - Dex. Ups your armor class (hopefully) and you can make dex saving throws. Very nice for an acrobatic hero.
Depending on your dexterity, Medium Armor Master is a nice +1 to AC, and no stealth disadvantage.
If you have low dex and high strength, taking Heavy Armor Master makes you much more tanky.
Alert is really nice and can save your skin, especially if the DM likes surprise attacks.
Sentinel is a huge battlefield control feat.
Savage Attacker doesn't feel very swashbuckly to me, it seems more murdery or barbariany. But if you like it, I can't stop you.

Hope this helps

Alejandro
2016-07-18, 08:23 PM
I've been encouraged to make a level 2 Fighter for a friend's game, and the idea of making an Errol Flynn-style hero. Folk Hero feels like a good background to use for a good Robin Hood or Three Musketeers vibe, at least socially, but now I'm trying to decide which fighting style and feat (using the variant human option.) To represent the "Jumping onto something, laughing, and jumping off" has a lot of good options... I think I won't be unhappy with a lot of the options, at least... but I'm trying to figure out which ways to go.

So, for fighting style: Dueling feels appropriate, but the ability to protect allies if I carry a shield feels nice as well... but not to the point that I'd move away from Dueling.

For the Feat... Athlete, Charger, Defensive Duelist, Lucky, Mobile, and Savage Attacker all look like they could fit the premise, but I feel like some would be better than others. Lucky, for instance, doesn't feel like it'll work as often as I'd want it to mechanically, and clumsily succeeding through luck when there are a few things I'd rather do through skill doesn't fit the image. Mobile is mechanically spot on, but I'm not sure if there are any red flags I'm missing.

And then we get to Martial Archetype. Part of me is thinking that this might be a fun place to diverge from the "standard archetype" with Eldritch Knight, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, any suggestions?

If you have access to SCAG, you might like the swashbuckler very much.

Afgncaap5
2016-07-20, 01:55 AM
If you have access to SCAG, you might like the swashbuckler very much.

That sounds exactly like what I'd want, but I don't have access to it. (Honestly, the price tag on a lot of the books so far has kept me from investing much, I pretty much just get by with one book and I borrow the rest as needed when game time comes.)

Arial Black
2016-07-20, 02:07 AM
I'd go for Defensive Duelist, Dueling FS and Battlemaster archetype (parry, riposte, precision attack).

Actually, my very first 5E PC was this, except his feat was Magic Initiate: mage armour (lasts 8 hours and gives a better AC than any light armour), prestidigitation so I always look good, and ray of frost to have a ranged attack without having to lug stuff around.

Of course, this was before the SCAG cantrips. If I was choosing now I'd have BB or G-FB as one of my cantrips, probably BB so that when I got the Mobile feat later then I could hit with that and then move away. If they follow me they take more damage, and if they don't then I keep attacking them and moving away so I get one attack per round but they don't get any.

Of course if they have a ranged weapon then get up in their grill instead. :)

djreynolds
2016-07-20, 03:04 AM
I would just go battle master and swashbuckler.

I love defensive duelist, but at like level 12 or 16.

With swashbuckler, you may not need mobile as much.

7 levels of rouge will give you evasion, so resilient wisdom is a must... as are con save proficiency.

5 levels of rogue will give you, uncanny dodge half damage from one attack and unlike defensive duelist it is any attack... ranged, spell, etc... not just melee.

Max out dex, grab a rapier, get lucky, resilient wisdom if start as a fighter, or resilient con if you start as rogue. And that's it really.

For me, I would look at a 12/8 split of fighter/rogue and people will think this is stupid, I would level up fighter, then rogue, then fighter, than rogue and just use two short swords until 5th level fighter.

Precision and riposte are your big maneuvers IMO, ensuring sneak attacks land and making people pay for swinging at you, and that why I recommend go level for level so you do not lose out on SA damage while waiting on that 2nd attack.

Gastronomie
2016-07-20, 04:21 AM
http://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/gaccha/pics/_1/13342/20885_1290682252688.jpg^ That aside, the Unearthed Arcana Swashbuckler (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf) on the WotC official site isn't much different from the actual one, so you might wanna check it out even if you don't have SCAG (your DM will most likely allow it).

Hudsonian
2016-07-21, 10:50 AM
soooo.... I think that this is an opportune moment for the most overlooked archetype of all.... The CHAMPION.

Seriously, dip rogue for expertise in acrobatics or stealth or sleight of hand (so you can loot the body before it's dead, super effective with thieves fast hands). Then go full dex sword and board with a longbow across your back. Get all of your arrows by stealing them from enemy archers. Take mobile at level 1 for the extra movement.

2 levels of rogue and mobile lets you dash every turn. Crit + SA on a 19+

dangerous at any distance.

Dueling, then archery for number 2

You're basically a monk with a sword, and more hit points.

2D8HP
2016-07-21, 04:46 PM
soooo.... I think that this is an opportune moment for the most overlooked archetype of all.... The CHAMPION.

Seriously, dip rogue for expertise.......Do you start as a Fighter or as s Rogue?

eastmabl
2016-07-21, 04:51 PM
Do you start as a Fighter or as s Rogue?

The reason to start as a fighter is for armor, but you're not looking to use heavy armor. I'd say that the smart play is start as a rogue and get the delicious proficiencies and expertise for two skills.

Theodoxus
2016-07-21, 05:54 PM
I concur. and extra skill point doesn't hurt either.

You might want to check out the skulker feat. It's like poor mans' darkvision for humans, plus a couple other bennies, like sniping (since you have the bow anyway).

Totally depends on the campaign and where it's going - but skulker has been a god send to our ranger in an Out of the Abyss underdark game.