PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Steppe-Rider Base Class (PEACH)

Rerem115
2016-07-18, 08:00 PM
I got bored, so I spent an afternoon brewing up a Mongol-esque Barbarian/Ranger thing. Any comments?

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Steppe-Rider level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per Steppe-Rider level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, longswords, shortswords, lances, and longbows
Tools: None
Saves: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, Stealth and Survival

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
(a) scale mail or (b) leather armor
(a) a longbow and quiver of 20 arrows or (b) a lance
(a) a longsword or (b) two simple melee weapons
An explorer’s pack and a shield

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Force of the Wind

+2
Nomadic Life, Wind Strike
1d6

+2
Parting Strike
1d6

+2
Steppe-Rider Path
1d6

+2
ASI
1d6

+3
Extra Attack
1d6

+3
Rider’s Training
1d6

+3
Path Feature
2d6

+3
ASI
2d6

+4

2d6

+4
As the Grass Bends
2d6

+4
Improved Rider’s Training
3d6

+4
ASI
3d6

+5

3d6

+5
Feral Instinct
3d6

+5
Path Feature
4d6

+5
ASI
4d6

+6

4d6

+6
Feral Senses
4d6

+6
ASI
5d6

+6
Path Feature
5d6

Nomadic Life
You gain proficiency in Animal Handling; if you are already proficient, you gain Expertise. In addition, you have advantage on saving throws made to avoid falling off your mount. If you fall off your mount, you always land on your feet if you are capable of taking actions. Mounting or dismounting a creature costs you only 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed.

Force of the Wind
Beginning at 1st level, you know how to use your momentum when you strike. You can deal an extra 1d6 damage with your attack if you are mounted and have moved at least 30 feet that turn.
The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Force of the Wind column of the Steppe-Rider.

Parting Strike
Starting at 2nd level, if you take the Disengage action, you may make one attack as a bonus action either before or after you move.

Steppe-Rider Path
At 3rd level, you choose a path that you strive to follow. Choose Hunter, Raid Leader, or Shaman, all detailed at the end of the class description. The path you choose grants you features at 3rd level, and again at 7th, 15th, and 20th level.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Attack
Starting at 5th level, you can attack twice when you take the Attack action.

Rider’s Training
You have conditioned you and your mount to keep going when lesser men and beasts would have collapsed. Starting at 6th level, you and your mount ignore penalties created by non-magical difficult terrain. In addition, your mount's hitpoints are now equal to either its natural maximum or four times you Steppe-Rider level, whichever is higher. If you change mounts, you can spend a week training to grant them the same bonuses.

As the Grass Bends
Starting at 10th level, you and your mount ignore penalties from non-magical bad weather.

Improved Rider’s Training
Starting at 11th level, if either you or your mount is hit by an attack while you are mounted, you can expend your reaction, adding your proficiency bonus to your or your mount’s AC. If the attack still hits, you or your mount take half damage from it.

Feral Instinct
Starting at 14th level, you have advantage on Initiative rolls. In addition, if you are surprised and not incapacitated, you can act normally, but only if you either mount or dismount first.

Feral Senses
At 18th level, you gain preternatural senses that help you fight creatures you can't see. When you attack a creature you can't see, your inability to see it doesn't impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it.
You are also aware of the location of any invisible creature within 30 feet of you, provided that the creature isn't hidden from you and you aren't blinded or deafened

Steppe-Rider Paths

Path of the Hunter
Following the Path of the Hunter means accepting your place as a provider and a protector. As you follow the Path of the Hunter, you learn how to strike when the enemy least expects it, and then ride off into the shadows.

Ambush
At 3rd level, you gain advantage on attack rolls against enemies that haven’t acted yet. In addition, your attacks automatically critically strike surprised enemies.

Snake in the Grass
Starting at 7th level, you have advantage on a Dexterity (Stealth) check if you move no more than half your movement speed on the same turn.

Vanish
Starting at 15th level, you can Hide as a bonus action. In addition, you cannot be tracked by non-magical means unless you choose to leave a trail.

Impossible Accuracy
You have learned how to focus your entire body on one strike. At 20th level, you can make a called shot against a target. If this shot hits, it counts as a critical hit. You can use this up to a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1) per long rest.

Path of the Raid Leader
Following the Path of the Raid Leader means accepting your duty to lead your allies to victory. As you follow the Path of the Raid Leader, you learn how to bring your allies together to carry the day to victory.

Studies in Leadership
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice: Insight, Performance, Persuasion, or Religion. You can choose to gain one tool proficiency in place of one skill proficiency.

Combat Superiority
At 3rd level, you gain a set of abilities that are fueled by special dice called superiority dice.

Superiority Dice
You have four superiority dice, which are d8s. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice when you finish a short or long rest. You gain another superiority die at 7th level and one more at 15th level.

Using Superiority Dice
You can expend superiority dice to gain a number of different benefits:
-When you make a check to influence or control a creature you are riding, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the check. You apply this bonus after making the check but before learning if it was successful.
-When you make a weapon attack against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the attack roll. You can use this ability before or after making the attack roll, but before any of the effects of the attack are applied.
-When you make an attack using Force of the Wind, you can expend one superiority die to add it to your damage roll. In addition, the target of the attack must make a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone.
-When you make an Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival check, you can expend one superiority die to bolster the check. Add half the number rolled on the superiority die (rounding up) to your check. You apply this bonus after making the check but before learning if it was successful.

Rallying Speech
Starting at 7th level, you can spend 10 minutes talking to your allies in order to inspire them. Allies you inspire gain temporary hitpoints equal to your Steppe-Rider level + your Charisma modifier for one hour. You can use this ability once per long rest.

Improved Combat Superiority
Starting at 15th level, your superiority dice turn into d10s. At 20th level, they turn into d12s.

Relentless
Starting at 20th level, when you roll initiative and have no superiority dice remaining, you regain 1 superiority die.

Path of the Shaman
Choosing the Path of the Shaman means accepting your obligation to guide and counsel your allies. As you follow the Path of the Shaman, you learn how to channel the energy of nature and your ancestors to help you and your allies overcome obstacles.

Spellcasting
When you reach 3rd level, your studies have granted you the ability to cast spells.

Cantrips
You learn two cantrips of your choice from the druid spell list. You learn an additional druid cantrip of your choice at 10th level.

Spell Slots
The Path of the Shaman Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st level spell cure wounds and have a 1st level and a 2nd level spell slot available, you can cast cure wounds using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know three 1st level druid spells of your choice. The Spells Known column of the Path of the Shaman Spellcasting table shows when you learn more druid spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the druid spells you know with another spell of your choice from the druid spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your druid spells, since you learn your spells through attunement to the spirits. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a druid spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell Save
DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Spell Attack
Modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Ritual Casting
You can cast a druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus
You can use a druidic focus as a spellcasting focus for your druid spells.

Shamanic Arts
When you select this Path at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with Herbalism Kits and Poisoner’s Kits.

Raid Magic
Starting at 7th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you may make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

Tribal Ritual Casting
Starting at 15th level, you gain three Tribal spell slots: one of 5th, one of 6th, and one of 7th level. In addition, may learn any three 5th, 6th, or 7th level druid spells. You may expend a Tribal spell slot to cast an appropriately leveled spell as a ritual.

Shamanic Mastery
At 20th level, you gain two more Tribal spell slots: one of 8th and one of 9th level. In addition, you may learn any two 8th or 9th level druid spells.

Steppe-Rider Level
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

3rd
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-

7th
-
-

8th
-
-

9th
-
-

10th
-
-

11th
-
-

12th
-
-

13th
-

14th
-

15th
-

16th
-

17th
-

18th
-

19th

20th

PotatoGolem
2016-07-19, 08:34 AM
Largely underpowered, with the exception of shaman, which is grossly overpowered. 9th level spells as a subclass ability on a martial is way, way too much

Rerem115
2016-07-19, 10:11 AM
I designed the shaman around the concept of ritual casting, trading speed and usefullness in combat for more powerful magic out of combat. I figured giving 9th level spells was fair, since it was ritual only and the 20th level capstone, but apparently not. What do you think would be an appropriate replacement, but still keep the ritual flavor?

Also, you said the rest of the class was underpowered; where does it need to be buffed?

Amnoriath
2016-07-19, 04:45 PM
I designed the shaman around the concept of ritual casting, trading speed and usefullness in combat for more powerful magic out of combat. I figured giving 9th level spells was fair, since it was ritual only and the 20th level capstone, but apparently not. What do you think would be an appropriate replacement, but still keep the ritual flavor?

Also, you said the rest of the class was underpowered; where does it need to be buffed?

1. It isn't trading that since it is using a mount for speed, has an extra attack, and a 5d6 damage rider. Also ultimately making a sub-class entirely based around spells of another class really questions its unique place in the story.
2. Mainly that you have made a base-class based around a mount and the mount doesn't get any stronger in any way nor can it be readily summoned. It also has 2 dead levels. Though you have a feature that combined with the fact this is a warrior that is too powerful(Force of the Wind) dealing 5d6 of damage with each attack for moving about half your mount's speed.

Rerem115
2016-07-19, 05:20 PM
1. It isn't trading that since it is using a mount for speed, has an extra attack, and a 5d6 damage rider. Also ultimately making a sub-class entirely based around spells of another class really questions its unique place in the story.
2. Mainly that you have made a base-class based around a mount and the mount doesn't get any stronger in any way nor can it be readily summoned. It also has 2 dead levels. Though you have a feature that combined with the fact this is a warrior that is too powerful(Force of the Wind) dealing 5d6 of damage with each attack for moving about half your mount's speed.

I suppose I should have clarified what I meant by speed. I meant speed and ease of casting spells; a sub class that got most of its power through lengthy rituals that would be considerably less useful in combat, magically speaking, than a standard caster. As for having a sub-class based around the spells of another class, I got the spell progression and one of the abilities from the Eldritch Knight, a fighter based around Wizard spells.

While the mount can't be summoned, the UA Cavalier is in the same position. Also, the mount does get stronger; the level 6 and level 11 abilities increase hitpoints and general survivability, respectively. I based the Force of the Wind off the Rogue Sneak Attack. It progresses at half the rate, and while it has the potential to do more damage, there are scenarios where it would be useless, such as indoors. If it's really an issue, I could just limit it to once a turn and have it follow Sneak Attack progression, and replace Extra Attack with something else.

I agree, I don't like the dead levels, but I'm not sure what exactly to do with them. I don't want to add abilities for the sake of filling a slot if it unbalances the class.

Amnoriath
2016-07-19, 06:29 PM
I suppose I should have clarified what I meant by speed. I meant speed and ease of casting spells; a sub class that got most of its power through lengthy rituals that would be considerably less useful in combat, magically speaking, than a standard caster. As for having a sub-class based around the spells of another class, I got the spell progression and one of the abilities from the Eldritch Knight, a fighter based around Wizard spells.

While the mount can't be summoned, the UA Cavalier is in the same position. Also, the mount does get stronger; the level 6 and level 11 abilities increase hitpoints and general survivability, respectively. I based the Force of the Wind off the Rogue Sneak Attack. It progresses at half the rate, and while it has the potential to do more damage, there are scenarios where it would be useless, such as indoors. If it's really an issue, I could just limit it to once a turn and have it follow Sneak Attack progression, and replace Extra Attack with something else.

I agree, I don't like the dead levels, but I'm not sure what exactly to do with them. I don't want to add abilities for the sake of filling a slot if it unbalances the class.
1. I said entirely based on getting spells from another class. The Eldritch Knight gets its own features that work with them. Yours though just gets more spells. It doesn't have any identity other than I am a warrior Druid with a mount.
2. The Cavalier is a sub-class that uses the Battlemaster's system which don't cost actions in and of themselves which means they could protect them from multiple strikes. While it could definitely benefit from actually having a capstone it also gets other proficiencies which not only gives it other utility but definitely could be used to pick one up. Yours though is a base class that is centered around this, so not making your mount stronger is going to put you in more awkward situations than this or the Beastmaster.
3. No it doesn't, you gave it Land's stride and a single improvement of it at 6 and 10.
4. Unless of course you are using a small race. The problem is though you have a warrior fell you would then need to change the flavor and other sets of abilities to match.
5. Your class isn't balanced as is because on one hand you consistently deal massive damage that outclasses everyone else but on the other it could be neutered with a couple of consecutive shots at you. As such deal with Force of Wind and you have a lot of potential choices to choose from.