PDA

View Full Version : Things to listen to on an hour long commute?

Silva Stormrage
2016-07-18, 08:45 PM
Hey, so I am at a summer internship this summer and have a fairly long commute (40-60 minutes) which is a mix of biking and train. I have mostly just been listening to music while commuting but since I will be graduating next year I figure I should try to be somewhat productive/educational with this chunk of time. XD

I have tried some programming podcasts but I haven't really found any that are good, if anyone has any suggestion for good podcasts/audio books/something I haven't thought of relating to programming in particular or something else that might be more productive with my time then just listening to music I would greatly appreciate it.

anjxed
2016-07-19, 07:54 AM
Should it be related to programming? I wonder if they still do those freakonomic podcasts. They're kinda okay.

Winter_Wolf
2016-07-19, 08:45 AM
Have you considered trying to learn another language? I'll swear by Pimsleur, and it's available as mp3 format. I found Russian I solid, anyway. If you're going to make that 49-60 minutes per day commitment to it for the length of your commute you could expect good results. One caveat, I'm not sure how wise it is to devote lots of brain activity to something else when you're dealing with traffic (biking).

Silva Stormrage
2016-07-19, 09:57 AM
Should it be related to programming? I wonder if they still do those freakonomic podcasts. They're kinda okay.

It doesn't have to no. I just mentioned programming to give a direction for what I would find "Educational" as that can vary pretty widely from person to person. Freakanomic podcasts might be pretty good though, thanks for the suggestion.

Have you considered trying to learn another language? I'll swear by Pimsleur, and it's available as mp3 format. I found Russian I solid, anyway. If you're going to make that 49-60 minutes per day commitment to it for the length of your commute you could expect good results. One caveat, I'm not sure how wise it is to devote lots of brain activity to something else when you're dealing with traffic (biking).

Unfortunately I am almost physically incapable of learning a foreign language due to a learning disability (Dysgraphia), :smallfrown:

As for the brain power while biking, ya that might be a bit risky but I am pretty much going in a straight line with a street that has a huge bike lane, I don't think it's that risky.

Grayne
2016-07-19, 03:11 PM
Try some TED talks. They're available from the homepage to download for free as MP4 or MP3. There's some really interesting and they ought to help expand your views on variety of topics.

Lentrax
2016-07-19, 03:18 PM
I enjoy listening to the various TWiT podcasts. Good information, and entertaining to boot.

Winter_Wolf
2016-07-19, 08:03 PM
It doesn't have to no. I just mentioned programming to give a direction for what I would find "Educational" as that can vary pretty widely from person to person. Freakanomic podcasts might be pretty good though, thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I am almost physically incapable of learning a foreign language due to a learning disability (Dysgraphia), :smallfrown:

As for the brain power while biking, ya that might be a bit risky but I am pretty much going in a straight line with a street that has a huge bike lane, I don't think it's that risky.

So does dysgraphia affect conversing or is it just writing? 'Cause I'm not sure how comprehensive my quick google search was. I haven't learned writing for Russian because it's more of a lark to be able to speak it than serious scholarship. Also, wouldn't your condition play hell with trying to do programming?

Crow
2016-07-20, 01:21 AM
I listen to the Hardcore History (http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/) podcasts on the way to work.

Archonic Energy
2016-08-03, 08:39 AM
Qwerpline from Loading Ready Run

not in the slightest bit educational but it'll make you smile / laugh out loud / die crying from laughter
when you aren't having a good day.