PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 monk / stunning fist question

orlondok
2016-07-19, 10:47 AM
I am building a Rogue/Monk character and was wondering ... The stunning fist DC says (10+1/2 character level+wis mod) if my character is a 4th lvl rogue/4th lvl monk with 16 wis. Is the DC 15 or 17? ie. does 1/2 character lvl mean all classes of a multiclass char. or does it mean just the monk lvls?

mabriss lethe
2016-07-19, 11:02 AM
It'll use your full character level, not just monk levels. It also gains 1 use per day for every 4 non-monk levels.

orlondok
2016-07-19, 11:08 AM
Thanx much for the speedy reply ... would it be possible to get a reference?
My DM might be stingy in this regard.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-19, 11:14 AM
Thanx much for the speedy reply ... would it be possible to get a reference?
My DM might be stingy in this regard.

It would say "class level" rather than "character level" if it only counted monk levels. You just need to look at racial SLAs which tend to use "character level" for DC calculation. Compare them to classes and prestige classes that have Su or SLAs, which tend to use "class level"

Troacctid
2016-07-19, 11:54 AM
Stunning Fist is not a monk-only ability—IIRC, it used to be back in 3.0, but in the 3.5 update, it was revised to be a feat that anyone can take. As such, it would be quite silly if the feat only counted monk levels.

Psyren
2016-07-19, 11:55 AM
It says "character level" right in the ability - in fact, you even quoted it. Therefore, you use the character's level, which is a sum of all their HD and class levels.

Nando
2016-07-19, 12:55 PM
Edit: Nevermind, I mixed your question up in my head...

EditEdit: Still, as a source it's just what the feat says on p. 102 of the PHB and the Glossar might help (p. 306 of the PHB for "character level" and "class level").

character level: A character’s total level. For a character with
levels in only one class, class level and character level are the same
thing.

class level: A character’s level in a single class. Class features
generally depend on class level rather than character level.

KillianHawkeye
2016-07-20, 03:14 AM
Stunning Fist is not a monk-only ability—IIRC, it used to be back in 3.0, but in the 3.5 update, it was revised to be a feat that anyone can take. As such, it would be quite silly if the feat only counted monk levels.

In 3.0, the Stunning Fist feat was separate from the Monk's stunning attack, although both of them operated in the exact same ways as taking the 3.5 version of Stunning Fist as either a Monk or non-Monk. The only major differences are that the 3.0 Monk's stunning attack only counted Monk levels for the DC, and a 3.0 Monk who also took the Stunning Fist feat would gain the uses from the feat in addition to the ones he got from his class.