PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ghost Sound

Shinn
2016-07-19, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm starting a new campaign as a PC, and since we're having a rather heroic setting, our DM asked us to create a custom lesser wondrous item (up to 2 non-damaging level 1 Spells), as every PC knows the rules.

As a Bard, I decided to create a spécial magic instrument, casting Ghost Sound and Silent Image every time you play : it's used to create some figments of Bards, playing with me to have some support music.
Now the question : can I use the Aid Another rules to make the illusions help me for more incomes ? As they're 4 musicians, with my own Perform check, can I try to get up to +8 to the check to get profits from my music ?
In RP, it seems legit ; but as it's only a Cantrip Spell, isn't it à bit too powerful ?

Grayne
2016-07-19, 02:49 PM
No, because the illusions of Silent Image do not actually exist and therefore neither do they have any stats, or even corporeality.

This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you.

What I'd do is ask your DM for a circumstancial bonus modifier on your perform check for using such an elaborate set-up. I doubt you'd get +8, but a +2 sounds perfectly fair.

Troacctid
2016-07-19, 02:51 PM
Figments cannot use the aid another rules. However, as a DM, I would generally be comfortable awarding a +2 circumstance bonus for this.

Necroticplague
2016-07-19, 03:00 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm starting a new campaign as a PC, and since we're having a rather heroic setting, our DM asked us to create a custom lesser wondrous item (up to 2 non-damaging level 1 Spells), as every PC knows the rules.

As a Bard, I decided to create a spécial magic instrument, casting Ghost Sound and Silent Image every time you play : it's used to create some figments of Bards, playing with me to have some support music.
Now the question : can I use the Aid Another rules to make the illusions help me for more incomes ? As they're 4 musicians, with my own Perform check, can I try to get up to +8 to the check to get profits from my music ?
In RP, it seems legit ; but as it's only a Cantrip Spell, isn't it à bit too powerful ?

No. Only creatures can Aid Other. Your Silent Image can no more Aid Other than a picture of a musician can.

Darth Ultron
2016-07-19, 06:54 PM
If you just want to get a bonus to preform, then you should dump Ghost Sound. Improvisation is a 1st level bard spell that will give you a +2 to preform. If you must stick to core, pick an enchantment spell to add a real bonus and not an illusionary one.

Shinn
2016-07-20, 05:14 AM
Thanks for all these answers.
I don't want to juste have a basic bonus ; I originally wanted to have a cool fluff object, and I wondered if it could be useful to crunch.
I know that Silent Images don't have any stats ; this is why I thought that, as it was me who created the sounds, it would be me who also have to make à check. After all, it's still music.

Chronikoce
2016-07-20, 01:04 PM
I agree with the others. Your best bet would be up ask the DM is the item can grant a +2 circumstance bonus due to its function.