PDA

View Full Version : Dragonwrought Kobold Fluff and Flavor

Dysjong
2016-07-20, 03:55 AM
Hail mighty giant playground!

Summery: Going to join a gestalt group soon, which takes place in Forgotten realms and for once, i wanted something complete different and the result was a dragonwrought kobold (Dessert). The group is limited to good alignment, lvl 15 and so far, i am dead set on archivist/Malconvoker on the one side of gestalt and i am not looking for extreme cheesing and getting books thrown at me. The kobold will however be venerable.

Here is where i am stuck: Fluff wise, i am uncertain how to approach this. My idea for now, is that the kobold was born and raised in Thay, most likely slave born and somehow got seperated from the rest of his kind. Having been blessed (or cursed?) with a higher then average intelligence for his race, he understands the cruelty of Thay and he wishes to save his tribe and to do that, he needs power. As years passes on, he has ventured back and forth across the realms, been spending time at varies location to study and learning. However, when he felt the time was right, he traveled back to Thay, only to see that his former tribe, was still alive but not the ones he used to know, giving him a sense of guilty for not being there.

Any suggestions for the role playing aspect for a dragonwrougth kobold? I am still uncertain regarding the personality and view and general role playing it.

The idea was inspired by Vivi and the black mages from final fantasy, mostly because of the big robes and giant hat, plus he is a little guy.

Inevitability
2016-07-20, 04:00 AM
Important to remember is that being dragonwrought means you're a step closer to dragons than your 'common' kobold brethren. This could manifest itself in arrogance, a sense of responsibility or vanity.

Alternatively, your kobold may aspire to become even more draconic.

Gruftzwerg
2016-07-20, 07:41 AM
Alternatively, your kobold may aspire to become even more draconic.

If you wanna go for full fluff and flavor, than I would recommend Dragonfire Adept. Become the real thing:

+ Breath Weapon
+ Humanoid Shape
+ Draconic Flight (if you didn't take the Dragonborn Feats. 1 Invocation instead of 2 feats. and the invocation gives you better maneuverability than the feats).

how much more Dragon flavor could you add?? maybe not the most powerfull base class, but since you are going for gestalt, there should be enough options to make it reliable imho

role-play suggestion:
you are obsessed by the idea that you are a real dragon, you just have growth-problems. Therefore you deserve more power and are looking for magical help to increase your size. The lil gnome you had paid for the "enlarge person", had to pay for his failure (cause you are not a valid target for the spell). And now all whats left is to seek out new (magical) ways to increase your size. yeah, you really have a size complex :smallbiggrin:

Dysjong
2016-07-20, 10:41 AM
If you wanna go for full fluff and flavor, than I would recommend Dragonfire Adept. Become the real thing:

+ Breath Weapon
+ Humanoid Shape
+ Draconic Flight (if you didn't take the Dragonborn Feats. 1 Invocation instead of 2 feats. and the invocation gives you better maneuverability than the feats).

how much more Dragon flavor could you add?? maybe not the most powerfull base class, but since you are going for gestalt, there should be enough options to make it reliable imho

role-play suggestion:
you are obsessed by the idea that you are a real dragon, you just have growth-problems. Therefore you deserve more power and are looking for magical help to increase your size. The lil gnome you had paid for the "enlarge person", had to pay for his failure (cause you are not a valid target for the spell). And now all whats left is to seek out new (magical) ways to increase your size. yeah, you really have a size complex :smallbiggrin:

I am so tempted to just do that! Classes on the other side for this summoner, is between; dragon shaman, dragonfire adept, wizard, Beguiler and factotum for now.

Gruftzwerg
2016-07-20, 11:19 AM
..and if you would like something more like "Godzilla", take warlock instead of dragonfire adept. The Eldritch Blast ray is nice for the flavor of Godzilla's ray-attack. You could still try to tell others that you are some kind of dragon.

I did/do this with my D.Kobold in a campain that I am actually playing.
He has platinum scales and since there are no other platinum dragons besides him and Bahamut, there is no evidance that a typical platinum dragon should have any other breath than his Eldritch Blast - Ray.

Further the warlock will give you access to "Baleful Utterance". Shatter "at-will" @ lvl-1!
If somebody thinks that you are story-telling, use some Dark Speech and shatter the hell out around them. :smallbiggrin:

edit: and some more warlock flavor: take "Summon Swarm" and use it in any situation:
- as distraction for the enemy
- as distraction for your teammates
- as distraction for the DM to annoy some NPC reactions (my personal favorite^^)
- when you enter/leave the scene
- when you make a bad joke
- whenever you feel like that some bats would fit in the atmosphere
I really like this running gag :smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2016-07-20, 11:52 AM
Malconvoker implies you turn evil onto itself; make the scorpion sting itself

Binder (which is good too to boost your Cha checks)-Warlock-hellfire works with the theme you got of exploiting evil's power against it
Ask if you can fluff your eldritch blast as being a gout of fire from your maw

Alternatively: Factotum plays to the knowledge is power vibe of archivist, and gives you skillpoints to boost your koboldish roguery

As to role-playing
I suppose your alignment is CG or CN
You fight slavery and evil adamantly
Break the chains
Down with the masters

Eisfalken
2016-07-20, 09:25 PM
Here's an off-the-wall suggestion: Dragonfire adept and (cloistered) cleric of Io. Dragonfire adepts basically are tapping into a kind of well of dragon magic power. It's like how a sorcerer just kind of "knows" their spells without study: it's an instinctive sort of magic, one where you're trying to embrace the power represented by dragons.

The cleric stuff is easy to explain. After realizing you have the power and soul of a true dragon, you learn about Io, the god of all dragonkind, and you realize that he is the source of all dragon power. So now you not only embrace the arcane power of dragonkind, but you call upon the might of the Ninefold Dragon himself to smite the enemies of your people.

Congratulations, you're now Kobold Moses. And probably a totally unstoppable font of power, if you play it right. I'd take cloistered cleric if the DM lets you; you can't really wear armor, and Knowledge domain can be subbed for Knowledge Devotion feat out of CC, which is way more useful in combat. Plus, extra spell access is useful.

Rebel7284
2016-07-21, 12:36 AM
What about:

1. Archivist 1 // Factotum 1
2. Archivist 2 // Conjurer 1 (Rapid Summoning and Enchanced Summoning Alternate Class Features)
3. Archivist 3 // Cloistered Cleric 1 (trade turn undead for Rebuke Dragons)
4. Archivist 4 // Factotum 2
5. Archivist 5 // Factotum 3
6. Malconvoker 1 // Archivist 6
7. Malconvoker 2 // Factotum 4
8. Malconvoker 3 // Factotum 5
9. Malconvoker 4 // Factotum 6
10. Malconvoker 5 // Factotum 7
11. Malconvoker 6 // Factotum 8
12. Malconvoker 7 // Marshall 1
13. Malconvoker 8 // Binder 1
14. Malconvoker 9 // Swordsage 1
15. Sacred Exorcist 1 // Swordsage 2

With a build like this, you can cast Summon Monster as a standard action and between Fiendish Legion, Divine Metamagic Twin Spell, and Cunning Surge, you can Nova to get 8x your biggest baddest summon before factoring in things like quicken spell.