PDA

View Full Version : Spell Point Idea, Requesting Feedback

Easy_Lee
2016-07-20, 10:15 AM
Many don't care for the vancian magic system used by D&D, and it's a bit odd to learn at first. Though I don't think that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, I did think of a simple replacement for any who wish to use it. I'm requesting feedback on the basic idea before I write it up.

In short:

When you gain a spell slot, you add that many spell points to your spell pool instead (could call these mana).
Casting a prepared spell costs spell points equal to its level, or its target level (low level spells in higher level slots).
Spell points refresh as normal for spell slots.
This system is a bit more flexible than the existing system. It would ultimately allow casters more varied usage of the same options. It's also easy to track, as you can use tokens to represent your remaining spell pool.

Did I miss something crucial, or is this overall balanced?

MrStabby
2016-07-20, 10:18 AM
Many don't care for the vancian magic system used by D&D, and it's a bit odd to learn at first. Though I don't think that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, I did think of a simple replacement for any who wish to use it. I'm requesting feedback on the basic idea before I write it up.

In short:

When you gain a spell slot, you add that many spell points to your spell pool instead (could call these mana).
Casting a prepared spell costs spell points equal to its level, or its target level (low level spells in higher level slots).
This system is a bit more flexible than the existing system. It would ultimately allow casters more varied usage of the same options. It's also easy to track, as you can use tokens to represent your remaining spell pool.

Why not use the dmg spell slots variant in your games?

CantigThimble
2016-07-20, 10:22 AM
Well, the system so far limits 6+ level spells to one per day each. (Arcane Recovery, Font of Magic, Pact Magic). I haven't played at higher levels enough to know how necessary that is but it's something to consider. Also, sorcerers font of magic feature is now redundant, would you give them any compensation for that?

MaxWilson
2016-07-20, 10:23 AM

In short:

This is identical to the DMG spell point system except that it also additionally restricts you to one spell spell per long rest for each of levels 6-9.

That restriction probably exists for a reason--since 6th+ level spells are heavily restricted all over the place in 5E. (Arcane Recovery, Sorcerer metamagic, etc.)

Easy_Lee
2016-07-20, 10:24 AM
Why not use the dmg spell slots variant in your games?

You know, I haven't actually looked at that variant rule. This just occurred to me today.

Well, the system so far limits 6+ level spells to one per day each. (Arcane Recovery, Font of Magic, Pact Magic). I haven't played at higher levels enough to know how necessary that is but it's something to consider. Also, sorcerers font of magic feature is now redundant, would you give them any compensation for that?

Good point, I'll have to look at that.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-21, 09:19 AM
or its target level (low level spells in higher level slots).
What does this bit mean? It costs more points to cast a spell on a higher-CR creature?

Anyway, the standard issue is "I blow all my spell points on extra max-level spells." Warlocks might also have odd interactions.

D.U.P.A.
2016-07-21, 09:33 AM
One of my scruples about ut is that it makes that sorcerer metamagic flexible casting a bit redundant, if any other spellcaster gets this feature.

Kryx
2016-07-21, 09:55 AM
Imo spell points should exist for classes like Sorcerer and Warlock, but not others.

I'm still toying with the idea.

Theodoxus
2016-07-22, 08:21 AM
I've been using spell points for about 6 months now, on all classes. Warlocks get the most viability; starting at 3rd level, they can start casting 3 1st level spells rather than 2 2nd level - and the granularity only increases from there.

I take umbrage at the 'I just cast as many high level spells as I can'. Yeah, that could happen, and probably would in a 15 minute adventuring day. But if you're looking at a 6-8 encounters, and don't want to spend 4-6 of them only casting cantrips, you're better off converting all those points into 1st level spells. (Though really, 2nd level is the sweet spot... typically 2x a 1st level oomph (say, Healing Word or Magic Missile) for only 1.5x the cost...)

I love the flexibility, both as a player and a DM. Gets the creative juices flowing.