PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Seekers of the Ashen Crown - IC

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-20, 11:30 AM
Kruthiks have been a recurring problem in Sham for ages. The predators find sufficient prey in the Sewers, the Cogs,
and the Depths to remain alive. The endless warrens make any attempt to exterminate them impossible, particularly
given the lack of will on the part of the city's powers to do so. When the monsters hunt sentient creatures, they usually trouble only those who live in the Lower City or deeper. As a result, most Sharn citizens remain unaware
of, and unconcerned about, the intermittent infestations.

Enveloped in the orange glow of molten metal, and the sharp smell of burning ore, a main gate pierces the soot-covered walls of Tain Foundry. Several beefy and surly-looking guards - humans, dwarves, and a bugbear - laze around the gate. Beyond, workers toil in the heat and foul air. Most of them are warforged.

You work your way towards the Slag Pit, the watering hole for the workers in the Tain Foundry. A slew of people sit around on their time off, drinking, chatting, or just enjoying their time off. A few warforged stand about too.

A table sits with a notice on it. ATTENTION: THOSE THAT ARE TO INVESTIGATE THE KRUTHIK INFESTATION ARE TO GATHER HERE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. - FOREMAN MOLRIC TORRANOL

There are a lot of reasons one would come to The Cogs for the investigation of the kruthik infestation, but why are you here? The following are all reasons one would come on this mission, so pick whichever would suit you best;
Adventurers Guild: A call has gone out for brave warriors to take on a kruthik infestation of The Cogs. Anyone that sees this post is directed to speak to Foreman Molric Torranol at the Tain Foundry.
Educational Experience: A professor at the Morgrave University reaches out to anyone with a desire for knowledge that can hold themselves in combat. Rumor of a flying kruthik evolution is worrisome, and the scholars of the University wish to investigate these rumors.
Friends In Low Places: Anyone that knows anyone in the lower city of Sharn has contacts in the underbelly of the city, and those contacts talk about The Cogs a lot. Specifically about how they’ve lost clients to a supposed kruthik infestation in the Tain Foundry.
House Work: Those that are loyal to Dragonmarked houses, or just any noble in general, are sent by a superior into the depths of Sharn to deal with a rumor of an infestation that could threaten the upper city.
Religious Influence: The hobgoblin priest Olaaki has contacted the highest religious figure of the Sovereign Host in the upper regions of the city. Kruthik have begun killing some of the priest’s followers and has sent out this plea for help. In response, the religious figure has reached out for any adventurers of the faith to help with Olaaki’s problems.
Breaking News: Haftak ir’Clarn, the publisher of Sharn Inquisitive, calls on any powerful warriors with a knack for the news that wants to bring him the hot new story on the rumors of a kruthik invasion.

Just gonna add a link to the OOC thread to make things easier for switching back and forth for anything of the sort. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?495141-4E-Seekers-of-the-Ashen-Crown-OOC&p=21022319#post21022319

Rokku
2016-07-20, 03:15 PM
Victor takes a seat at the table, quietly analyzing the area while waiting for others to arrive.

DBenign
2016-07-20, 08:14 PM
A short slender woman with Olive skin and unkempt strawberry-blonde hair makes her way over to the table. She spies the Warforged already sitting at the table with the notice and her face falls a little, but she manages to catch herself and force a smile. She stuffs a piece of paper with directions on it back into a pouch and mutters something barely audible about "...busy work..." before turning and asking more clearly "So you're waiting for the Foreman too then? Do you know what he looks like?" She remains standing behind one of the chairs across from the table's only occupant.

GPuzzle
2016-07-20, 09:24 PM
A man with fairly short brown hair and white skin quickly took a seat opposite to the warforged and the woman in front of him. He looks a cross between a military general and a man of the clergy, in a way, but he's oddly young. He puts the paper on the table, and opens a short smile.

"I reckon you don't, because I also do not know him."

dariathalon
2016-07-20, 09:31 PM
Aelar

A burly looking elf walks into the Slag Pit. He stands about 6' tall and his body is thick with muscle, almost as large as many of the large human laborers that move around the tavern. He has long mossy-green hair that is tied back behind his head and his eyes scan the room. Eventually he sees the table with the notice, and moves over to read it. It takes him a moment to register what it says, then he looks back and forth between the warforged and human woman already seated there. "Don't suppose either of you are Mr. Turor... Tornnn..." His tongue twists awkwardly trying to pronounce the syllables a few times before he settles for, "Uh, this guy." His finger points to the foreman's name on the notice. "I was looking for work and told that I might find something here."

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-20, 11:25 PM
A​ ​burly​ ​and​ ​sour-looking​ ​dwarf,​ ​dressed​ ​in​ ​practical​ ​clothes,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​clean​ ​shaved​ ​head​ ​and​ ​chin, enters.​ ​Following​ ​him​ ​is​ ​a​ ​willowy​ ​hobgoblin​ ​with​ ​long​ ​braided​ ​hair​ ​and​ ​beard,​ ​garbed​ ​in​ ​simple
white​ ​robes.​ ​The​ ​dwarf​ ​looks​ ​around​ ​and​ ​frowns​ ​in​ ​puzzlement;​ ​the​ ​hobgoblin's​ ​even​ ​gaze
quickly​ ​picks​ ​you​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​crowd.​ ​He​ ​taps​ ​his​ ​companion​ ​and​ ​points​ ​his​ ​staff​ ​in​ ​your​ ​direction. The stout dwarf approaches the table, goblinoid priest in tow

"Oy, I'm Molric, and I gess ye four'll be the lot that's gonna save me factory now huh?" He takes his time looking the party up and down. Molric's eyes stop on the warforged, his expression becoming a burning glare towards the mechanical being. "Ahright, why should I pay out a hunred gold a piece to ya? Any of ya got som skills?" You can tell that this man is doubtful of your skills, only giving a look of approval towards Aelar, accepting a tough scruff looking elf as a useful asset.

The hobgoblin puts his hand on the dwarfs shoulder, "What my ally means to ask is why you all came here, and whether or not you are qualified. The mission ahead could prove dangerous, there are reports of flying kruthiks." You can feel genuine care coming from the cleric, his stare lacking the judgmental force of Molric.

Rokku
2016-07-21, 12:41 AM
"Kruthiks are a serious matter," says Victor. His voice is deep and resonant, with a slight buzz to it.

"Please, tell us everything you know about the situation before we engage the threat."

GPuzzle
2016-07-21, 04:58 AM
"We've all got our reasons to be more than capable in the fight, thank you, and our teasons to fight the Kuthriks. Worry not."

DBenign
2016-07-21, 06:59 AM
"Well I was sent here by some members of House Cannith. They said they wouldn't have time to look into my..." she hesitates for a second while selecting her next words carefully "my problem until I've helped them out with this matter. As for my qualifications, I've spent most of the last eight years learning Druidic magics in the heart of the Eldeen Reaches. I think with the help of these fine people we could handle a few flying bugs."

Dacia Brabant
2016-07-21, 09:31 AM
Talshara

Is it confirmed then that these creatures can indeed fly?

The question hangs in the air around those at the table, though it's not immediately clear who asked it. Not, that is, until a woman dressed in loosely flowing, dark blue robes and carrying a staff topped with an azure gemstone walks up cautiously to join them, settling in next to the Warforged. Long, black locks flow out from beneath the cowl of the vaguely luminescent indigo cloak she wears, which frame a dusky, angular face whose most striking features are her eyes that match her cloak's shade--and luminescence.

She clears her throat before speaking in an accented form of common.

"Pàrdón, I am nòn yet fûlly accûstómed to zhis mànnér of commûniquéting. Zhe pròfesseur of zhe ùniversitié, he say zhe réports are unconfirméd. Have you un spècimíne?"

Sorry if that's a little thick, I can tone it down. I just envisioned her as a French intellectual. :smallamused:

dariathalon
2016-07-21, 11:22 AM
Aelar

Aelar seems at first a little unnerved by the voice in his mind, but quickly comes to terms with it once it's speaker shows herself. "I don't know what the rest of these people can do, but I've been a mercenary for the past few years. I can take on these things. If they fly, that'll make it tougher, but my daggers and arrows fly too."

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-21, 11:25 AM
The hobgoblin gives a warm smile to the mysterious female, happy to see another has joined the quest. "We do not have any confirmed specimen, sadly. But I fully trust the reports from the survivors that there is a strand of kruthik that do fly." His expression becomes more grim as he speaks. "These beasts must be something else to do what they did to the people that went before you..." The priest clenches his staff and looks down, emitting an aura of sadness and regret.

Molric cuts in, "A'right, while Olaaki whines about tha idiots that went befor, yoor all gunna hav to get ready foor a nasty fight!" He slams down a map in on the table, a crudely drawn map with chicken scratches that resemble directions towards something underground. "We don't know wat be past that thar point, but ya better believe it ain't pretty. Lik you thar!" Molric motions towards Victor, laughing at his own awkward joke.

Olaaki ignores his allies stupidity. "We understand that this will be a dangerous experience, so we offer 100 gold per participant. I hope that is enough to satiate any need for material goods."

DBenign
2016-07-21, 01:37 PM
"One hundred gold seems perfectly acceptable to me, though I would like to know a little more about my traveling companions before I agree to this." She turns to the assembled group and smiles warmly. "You can call me Hannah, as already stated I am proficient with natural magic. I also have an animal companion who packs quite a punch herself. What are your names and specialties?"

Dacia Brabant
2016-07-22, 01:15 AM
Talshara

The woman's luminous eyes narrow at the dwarf's rudeness toward the Warforged seated beside her. She says nothing, audibly at least, though to Molric's mind alone she inquires, Is that really necessary?

Regardless of his reaction, she turns to the priest, Olaaki, and this time responds so that all can hear.

"Zhis fěe we are nègotiatíng, for what dûty is it règarding, prècisély? For ìnformâción about zhěse běasts, or zheir... èradicâción? Zhe fòrmer sěems môre zhan fair a prîce còmpáred with zhe làtter, non?"

She was going to continue along those lines at negotiating when the human woman asks for everyone's names and specializations. She pauses for a moment to regard this Hannah; she appeared genuine, this nature woman--which didn't seem a plausible cover for an Inspired agent. The human male was a likelier possibility, judging by his apparent social station, she thought, but this was an unlikely place to find one, down here far removed from the city's ruling class. So she decided to trust them.

"Ì am Talshara, and as you sêe Ì am un telepáth. Ì am non stràngeur to còmbat, and have căuséd more zhan un ìnvâdeur of my môzherland to lose hìs will to fîght, or hìs will to lìve."

GPuzzle
2016-07-22, 05:49 AM
"Name's Silas. Field Commander of the 37th Division and paladin of Dol Arrah. And yes, I do look too young to be either."

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-22, 03:07 PM
Molric looks over his shoulder and the behind him, unable to trace the source of the sound. He shakes it off as if it was nothing, and addresses the party again before actually answering any questions. "A'right, A'right, I just remembared that I dun care about who ya are or where ya been. Just clear me tunnels and save me factory. Then ya get your pay when ya come back here. I got work ta do." Molric stomps off in his angry fashion, yelling at some of his workers that they better get back to work before he throws them in the furnace.

Olaaki shakes his head, and talks towards Talshara. "The fee is for eradicating the creatures and getting any information on them that you can. I'm sorry if the fee seems to small, I do not have much, only what the church can offer to help with this problem. We have lost quite a few worshipers to the kruthik."

Rokku
2016-07-22, 03:41 PM
The warforged seems to straighten up somewhat when asked his name and function.

"Victor," he says, "combat engineer. I primarily served in a support role during the War, and have continued to do so with various adventuring parties. I suspect substantial support will be needed if these kruthik are as dangerous as we have been told."

dariathalon
2016-07-24, 05:32 PM
Aelar

The elf pipes up, "100 gold should be enough for me. More's always better, but if that's what you've got to offer, it'll do. As for my experiences, as I said earlier I was a mercenary for a good long while. I mostly acted as a scout for the unit. Creep over here, see what I can see. Sneak over there, do some stabbity stabbity." He draws a dagger and makes a few jabs at the air to accentuate the point. "That sort of thing. So should we get going?"

Rakaydos
2016-07-26, 05:47 PM
The conversation is interrupted by a clanking of the door, and an armed and armored beast ducks through the door and surveys the room on it's hind legs. Hyena faced and a full 7 and a half feet tall, his eyes seemed to glow red in the light of the forges. Resting a paw on the hilt of a forign, exotic weapon- some kind of sickle-sword- an with shield slung over his hunched back, he growls as he surveys the room.

Spotting the hobgoblin priest, he nods and stalks toward the table. As he sees all you ready to defend yourselves, he stops and smiles, before calling to the table. "You are Priest Olaaki, of Sovereign Host? Word reach me that you have a task for a Warrior."

OOC: Perception to identify what each person reaches for when threatened: [roll0] (I'm going to put Backround into perception +2, once I update character)

Rakaydos
2016-07-26, 05:51 PM
((I suppose, if people want to try playing cool, I should put my Intimidate up as a difficulty- [roll0]

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-26, 07:19 PM
Olaaki eases the sudden tension at the table with a calming gesture, keeping his composure in the face of possible danger. "Then you've heard well, poweful warrior. These are your companions for that reason, but the time is now, so you must chatter along the way." The hobgoblin gestures to the door and begins walking.

He leads the party through a series of factory tunnels, warforged working away at repairing little knicks all over. They pay no attention to the party, except Victor. When the mechanical artificer passes by, they look at him, nod, and begin working again. None bother with a conversation.

The tunnels wins to a rocky cavern, a marker that says GO NO FURTHER OR RISK DEATH - TAIN FOUNDRY! Olaaki stops and says his goodbyes. "Beyond this point is as far as the map goes, your job begins here. I wish you luck on your journey, find me back at the Slag Pit when you are done. I believe all of you will come back alive." He nods, and walks the other way, leaving only the six party members, and an empty cavern. You begin walking.

An hour of travel yields results in the form of a large building under a pile of rubble. There are symbols etched into the walls and two massive rusted doors. They sit ajar, almost inviting you to enter, but there is an overbearing sense of dread. Sweat pours from your brows as heat assaults you from a directions, threatening exhaustion. A pungent smell violates your senses as you walk up to the overbearing structure, the stairs directly in front. Your destination lies ahead.

You hear whispers coming from the ruin, but they are indecipherable, speaking in a tongue that is forgeign to you. They are not strong, but somewhat unsettling.

GPuzzle
2016-07-26, 08:09 PM
As the Gnoll enters the tavern, Silas turns his chair around, changing his stance from a more relaxed to a decievingly battle-ready one - he is ready to jump and shield his allies at the first sign of threat. "Big one, mean one. I reckon you fight well, don't ya?", a daring smirk flashing across his face. Almost as if "come in, I dare you."

[roll0] Bluff to feign not having the battle stance ready.

After the trek to their destination, Silas looks around towards the group. The place wasn't really inviting, was it? "Well, we have to get in, and I'd guess that the only way out is through it.", he says. He taps Razak's shoulder, as if trying to catch his attention. "I've seen fighters with your stance, pretty reckless style but it hurts a ton if you're on the business end of their weapon. Guess we'll have to cover one another in the fight?"

dariathalon
2016-07-26, 08:59 PM
Aelar

Aelar's reaction to the sudden and rather threatening appearance of the gnoll is immediate. He had never taken a seat; he preferred to stand most of the time anyway. He'd just been hovering over the table. He also already had a dagger in hand. Aelar's grip tightened on its hilt and he side stepped to a better position. It was difficult to tell if his step was intended to shield Hannah or make moving into flank with Silas easier, either were possible. He says nothing, but his eyes flick momentarily to their employer to see his reaction. Once Olaaki welcomes the gnoll's presence, Aelar's stance loosens slightly, but he remains a little on-edge.

As the party finally reaches the site of the infestation, Aelar pulls his dagger once again. "So how do we do this? I can creep ahead to see if there's anything to see, but they're mostly dumb animals, right? I doubt there will be much to see. Or we can all try to move in quietly and get the jump on them. I'm up for either."

DBenign
2016-07-26, 10:34 PM
Hannah's immediate reaction to the threatening introduction of the Gnoll into the bar is one of diffusal. "Now, now. This Gnoll seems to be looking for work just as we are. There's no reason to come to blows here." She places a hand on Aelar's shoulder until he lowers his dagger, and smiles at the Gnoll.

Hannah asks to make a quick stop once the party leaves the bar, and returns shortly later with a young Owlbear trailing behind her. She has reddish fur streaked with white markings and is wearing a collar with a lead Hannah is holding, but anyone would be able to tell that the Owlbear could snap the rope with ease and it's mostly there for show to placate the average city-dweller. "This is Ulurs. She should be a big help in our hunt." Hannah scratches Ulurs behind the ear and she lets out a brief coo.

In the tunnels, Hannah responds to Aelar "If you're certain you won't be seen, more information is always good. I vote you scout ahead, but do be careful, I don't want you to get swarmed by these things."

I think Hannah would probably know what a Gnoll is, but in case that's not knowledge I can assume I'll roll Nature to see what I know about Razak's race: [roll0]

Also, I would like to see if I can spot anything in the factory, rolling Perception: [roll1]

Rakaydos
2016-07-26, 11:43 PM
He taps Razak's shoulder, as if trying to catch his attention. "I've seen fighters with your stance, pretty reckless style but it hurts a ton if you're on the business end of their weapon. Guess we'll have to cover one another in the fight?"

"Every Wound an offering to The Fury for Vengance, every Kill a Sacrifice for Balinor's Hunt." Razak recited. "Pay my injuries little mind- if they after my hide, they not slaughter knife-man or petkeeper."

Dacia Brabant
2016-07-27, 12:49 AM
Talshara

Smiling inwardly at Molric's confusion, Talshara shrugged at Olaaki's moralizing refusal of additional pay. Still, it sounded interesing enough, and she needed the cash, so she was about to answer the elven mercenary's question about moving along in the affirmative when they were all interrupted by the giant hyena-man's entrance. She instinctively positioned her staff in front of herself, and kept it there even after she realized that the creature was doing it for show.

Is this the reaction you wanted? Oh I so hope I didn't disappoint, were the less-than-sincere thoughts she sent to him.

Later, after Hannah retrived her owlbear, Talshara remarked, "Zhat is un crêateur most intèresting--c'est un owlbért, non? Pèrhaps sômetime you might tell how you acquìred her?"

Finally, as they were walking up to the ruin and fighting off the heat along the way, Talshara suddenly holds up her hand to get their attention and mentally shushes them.

Shh! I hear whispers coming up from the ruins, but I can't make anything out, it's in some strange language.

GPuzzle
2016-07-27, 02:12 AM
"Every Wound an offering to The Fury for Vengance, every Kill a Sacrifice for Balinor's Hunt." Razak recited. "Pay my injuries little mind- if they after my hide, they not slaughter knife-man or petkeeper."

"You're no use dead on the ground, that's what I'm sure."

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-27, 11:05 AM
Also, I would like to see if I can spot anything in the factory, rolling Perception: [roll1]

You can see as your travel through the factory some odd tunnels that look barely large enough for you to squeeze through that have been filled in with some rocky material. As you exit the factory and enter the cavern, you see more of these tunnels, but they now sit empty. You do not see where they lead, but can tell that they have not been used in some time.

Rakaydos
2016-07-27, 11:59 AM
"You're no use dead on the ground, that's what I'm sure."

The beastman gave an unsettling hyena laugh. "Faith protect, is what yours say, no? My faith different, but no less real."

Rokku
2016-07-27, 04:55 PM
"I recommend a brief scouting foray," says Victor, his tone even and measured, "if we can catch the beasts by surprise it will minimize potential casualties."

dariathalon
2016-07-27, 05:26 PM
Aelar

Aelar takes a dagger in one hand and an unlit sunrod in the other. "I'll go ahead then. I won't go far and I'll come back and report. I don't know that I'll see much. My eyes are better than most in darkness, but still nothing compared to some races. I won't light the sunrod unless I'm in trouble. Keep an eye and an ear out just in case. Should be fine though, see you in a few."

Aelar crouches down near one of the side walls and starts move slowly and quietly ahead.

[roll0]
[roll1]

By the way, I've noticed at least one person roll a perception check recently. Remember, Aelar is an elf so his group awareness trait gives all non-elf allies within 5 squares a +1 to perception.

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-27, 05:39 PM
You move slowly forward, no signs of any creatures, until you peer through the doors. There are about 6 bodies, ranging from small to medium humanoids, all dead on the ground inside a twenty-foot tunnel. Their bodies are ripped apart, and you can tell that more bodies were dragged away, about 5 to be precise. Goblins and humans make up the fallen, but there are also some insect corpses as well; kruthik. The smell of vinegar replaces the stench of the tunnels, for better or for worse. There is a larger room up ahead, but no sign of any live insects around here.

dariathalon
2016-07-27, 06:04 PM
Aelar

Aelar grimaces at the destruction here. He holds one hand up to his nose, trying to use it to block some of the vinegary stench. He quickly moves around the room surveying the bodies for any survivors. He would be shocked to find anyone alive in this, but it is worth checking. They might also have something on them worth salvaging, but that could wait until the others were here. He moves a little farther forward, just enough to peek into the door to the larger room ahead.

This assumes Aelar didn't find anyone alive. If he did, he would instead carry them back to the others to try to get treatment.

In case you need another, here's [roll0] and [roll1] again.

DJCamWozzle
2016-07-28, 11:25 AM
You go over the bodies, but there is nothing of value on their bodies. In fact, it seems that they aren't well equipped, most of them being unarmored and only a few having decent weapons. The hall moves onwards to reveal a curve to the left. There is an ominous blue light that illuminates the room ahead, but there are still no signs of life. Instead, there are 9 pillars and a good amount of slots in the walls that can hold a person. A pyramid of skulls sits in the middle, 5 feet tall on a 3 foot high platform, iron bars keeping them from escaping and mud holding them together. More runes are etched into the pyramid base, and a large pile of rubble busted through the south wall. There are three small tunnels that leave through the walls, two on the west and one on the east. They can fit an average sized person, but barely. A set of stairs exit the room to the north. There is no noise outside of the flickering flames and your own breathing.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/DJCamWozzle/Game_Map_Room_1.JPG_zpswhp5mbvn.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/DJCamWozzle/media/Game_Map_Room_1.JPG_zpswhp5mbvn.jpg.html)

dariathalon
2016-07-28, 02:18 PM
Aelar

Aelar quietly turns around and returns to the waiting group. After a few minutes, he reappears from the shadowy entrance. "First room has a bunch of bodies, probably killed by the kruthiks. It's a mess, but otherwise nothing we can do now. The next room is a little further down and it is even weirder. This place is supposed to be a foundry, right? I've never been in one, but I can't imagine a foundry has any need for a big room with a platform with a pyramid of skulls on it. The platform has all these runes and things on it too. Maybe someone with more magic knowledge should take a look at those. And there were all these slots in the wall... for people maybe? About the right size for a person anyway. No kruthik in there now, but there were several passages that led in and out of the room that I'd guess might be made by the little buggers. If we go in there again making any more noise, it wouldn't surprise me if they hear us and come pouring in. So I guess go in ready for a fight. There are a few exits that people could use. There were stairs on the opposite wall, and people could probably move in those holes, if it came down to it."

He pauses waiting for questions, if none are forthcoming he gestures for the group to move in.

DBenign
2016-07-28, 08:16 PM
Hannah steps forward and undoes Ulurs collar, slipping it into her bag. "No need for that now that we're away from people. I could take a look at these runes, though I think our Psion friend may have a better eye for it than me. Also, those holes you mentioned, we passed some further back that were filled in with rock. It's possible the last remaining workers filled them in to keep the Kruthik from coming out? In any case, we should keep an eye on them."

[roll0]

Dacia Brabant
2016-07-28, 11:42 PM
Talshara

Listening attentively to Aelar's report, Talshara nodded at the suggestion to examine the runes--and the suggestion from Hannah to watch out for places where the kruthiks could appear.

"I am non lìngúist, hôwevér màgic ìs its own lânguáge. Zhis plâce you descrìbe sounds lìke un crypt of some sort, or un pèrhaps zhat has been occupíed by un necromancéur? Eizher way, lead on zhen," she replied, making ready to go with staff in one hand and everburning torch in the other.

Talshara soon wished she had a third hand to block the smell of the charnel room--and her reaction to it upon their arrival, resorting awkwardly to holding a robed arm up to her face.

"Grotesque," she gasped and muttered as she passed it by.

Once they were in the next room, she began carrying out her arcane inspection.

If I can take 10 on the Arcana check I will, otherwise here's my roll: [roll]1d20+11[roll].

Rakaydos
2016-07-29, 12:09 AM
Razak sniffed around the room with disconcerting interest, death and decay not bothering the monstrous scavenger at all. Kneeling by one of the bodies, he sniffs, head tilted in curiosity.

Nature check to deturmine how they were killed, how recently, and also whether the bodies themselves are poisonus or diseased. (because predatory scavanger and field rations. :p)

Either taking 10 for 15 or [roll0]

GPuzzle
2016-07-29, 11:02 AM
"Goodness.", says Silas, as he takes care not to step in anything that might lead to him tripping face first on the floor. "I've read enough tales to know that pyramids of skulls are never good, even more so if there's runes nearby." He takes a look around, taking in consideration the surroundings. "Ambush room, I reckon. Probably lead people in somehow, activate some sort of trap, and tons of kruthiks come in and slaughter the poor bastards."

DJCamWozzle
2016-08-01, 04:17 PM
Hanah & Talshara

The runes are actually an ancient language, one that almost none know now. But with your knowledge of the arcane, you feel as though a barrier is lifted on your mind, and the runes begin to make sense in words you understand. They read as follows: "Ashurta, slayer of these weaklings, keeper of the Blade of the Ashen Crown. Even in death, he is stoic and strong. Had the he might of Xoriat has not bested him, he would have dominated in many wars to come. Hell goes with him." The skulls in the pyramid are now obviously of many races, but mostly gonlins, humans, and dwarves.

Aelar

As you enter the room farther with the party, you notice a bloody sack in the pile of rubble, it's contents still mostly within the tattered and cut up bag. A few gold coins have fallen out. (I11)

Silas

You see a large red banner with the image of a black vulture painted on too it on the far side of the room, leaning against the wall. (A7) You are reminded of a typical banner of war used in many armies, but something about seems more important than usual.

Razak

You can easily see a trails that were used in the past month to drag average sized bodies across the ground into the 3 holes. (P9, I1, A3, A10) Strangely, there is a fourth trail that goes to the north wall, but it leads to a covered up hole. As you look at it, the dirt covering it begins rumbling, and suddenly, a strange buglike creature bursts through, followed by the rest of the holes pouring out the creatures.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/DJCamWozzle/Game_Map_Room_1_Battle_1_zpstxczb7jt.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/DJCamWozzle/media/Game_Map_Room_1_Battle_1_zpstxczb7jt.jpg.html)

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE

All Initiative rolls are gonna go down in the OOC thread, and then we'll start combat with whoever's first. Just say which spot on the map you're moving to, or spawning an attack at, and I will update the map accordingly.

DJCamWozzle
2016-08-04, 10:26 AM
The Kruthik have burst through the walls, screeching as they begin to swarm around your party. The two larger ones turn towards Silas and Hannah, bursting open a small covering on their backs to reveal wings, darting towards the two without warning.

Sharn Kruthik vs Hannah: [roll0] and potential damage [roll1], grabbed if hits.
Sharn Kruthik vs Silas: [roll2] and potential damage [roll3], grabbed if hits.

Character
Initiative
Health
Defenses
Map Position

Sharn Kruthik
32 & 32
18|14|18|13
H8 K4

Talshara
30/30
17|14|17|18
I7

Kruthik Hatchlings
1/1
15|13|15|12
B5 C4 D9 J4 K3 O9 P9

Aelar
30/30
18|15|18|13
L10

Hannah
30/34
17|16|17|19
I8 (Ulrus = J8)

Silas
30/30
21|14|17|17
L4

Kruthik Young
43 & 43 & 43
15|13|14|11
B9 D6 O10

Razak
39/39
19|18|19|14
N9

Victor
35/35
18|16|16|16
N12

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/DJCamWozzle/Game_Map_Room_2_zpsvdte8jl9.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/DJCamWozzle/media/Game_Map_Room_2_zpsvdte8jl9.jpg.html)

Dacia Brabant
2016-08-04, 02:25 PM
Talshara

"Mon dieu, zhey do have wìngs!" Talshara exclaimed, cursing the one in front of her as she took a step back, but then noticed more had appeared behind them.

Attuning her mind to their proto-brains, she caused a dishearteningly pale globe of psychic energy to surround the three on the back right wall.

Minor action to curse the one at H8.

Move action to shift to J7.

Standard action to use Dishearten (augment 1) centered on P9.

Implement vs. Will
P9: [roll0]
O9: [roll1]
O10: [roll2]
Hit: [roll3] psychic damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and cannot make OAs UEMNT.

DJCamWozzle
2016-08-08, 10:01 AM
The two smaller ones near Razak screech out in pain as they coil up, dead. The larger one merely begins to emit a noise somewhere between a growl and two blades grinding on one another. The remaining smaller kruthik move all at once with no hesitation, collapsing on the party from all directions, two ganging up on Hannah, two moving in on Talshara, and the last moving around to flank Silas. They all strike at once.

Kruthik Hatchling 1 vs Hannah: [roll0], damage is 4.
Kruthik Hatchling 2 vs Hannah: [roll1], damage is 4.
Kruthik Hatchling 3 vs Talshara: [roll2], damage is 4.
Kruthik Hatchling 4 vs Talshara: [roll3], damage is 4.
Kruthik Hatchling 5 vs Silas: [roll4], damage is 4.

Character
Initiative
Health
Defenses
Map Position

Sharn Kruthik
32 & 32
18|14|18|13
H8 K4

Talshara
30/30
17|14|17|18
J7

Kruthik Hatchlings
1/1
15|13|15|12
H9 I6 I9 J6 M4

Aelar
30/30
18|15|18|13
L10

Hannah
22/34
17|16|17|19
I8 (Ulrus = J8)

Silas
26/30
21|14|17|17
L4

Kruthik Young
43 & 43 & 31
15|13|14|11
B9 D6 O10

Razak
39/39
19|18|19|14
N9

Victor
35/35
18|16|16|16
N12

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/DJCamWozzle/Game_Map_Room_3_zpsr2rpzihn.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/DJCamWozzle/media/Game_Map_Room_3_zpsr2rpzihn.jpg.html)

dariathalon
2016-08-08, 11:32 AM
Aelar

Aelar hopes that the casters could take care of the swarms of smaller kruthiks that surrounded them. He knew where his skills were, and they wouldn't be as useful on the little ones. He glanced around the room, finding a few potential targets, but he settles on one of the ones near Silas. He and Silas should be able to quickly dispatch of those two and then they can move on to some of the others. Aelar races around the outside of the pillars and at the last moment darts in carefully to flank with Silas. He gives the kruthik a quick stab of his dagger.

Move: to K5 going around the outside of the first pillar gets me this far without provoking OAs.
Standard: Acrobatic Strike on the one in K4. Acrobatic Strike allows a 1 square shift as an effect before or after the attack. Aelar takes it before so he is in flank with Silas (shifting to J4). [roll0]. A hit does [roll1] plus [roll2] for a total of 20 damage.

DBenign
2016-08-09, 09:37 AM
Hannah is bleeding from multiple bite wounds and gasps "Okay, maybe I underestimated these creatures a bit back in the bar." She flicks a command at Ulurs who circles around one of the creatures, while Hannah follows in Ulurs' shadow and unleashes a gout of flame from her staff at another of the bugs.

Ulurs will shift to J9 and then use Claw on the bug in I9: To hit (vs AC) [roll0], damage [roll1] (Apparently it's a standard action for Ulurs to attack)

Hannah will shift to J8 and do Flame Seed centered on the bug at H8. To hit (Wisdom vs Reflex) [roll2], damage [roll3]. If this attack hits all squares adjacent to H8 are a fiery zone until eomnt, any creature who enters or starts their turn in this zone will take 6 fire damage.

Hannah will take an opportunity attack from the bug at I9 when she casts Flame Seed.

GPuzzle
2016-08-09, 02:10 PM
Finding himself flanked, Silas can't defend against the many strikes in his direction - well, some he can. While mostly unscathed from the combat, he desperately needed to move out.

And Aelar's approach through the swarm provides the distraction needed. He moves to a safer spot, before raising his sword high, shouting "By Dol Arrah's strength!" before striking one of the kruthik.

Shift to K5. Virtue, spending a surge to gain 7 THP. Valorous Smite, [roll0] versus AC against K4, if it misses and Heroic Surge would make it hit, expended Heroic Surge. [roll1] radiant damage if it hits, and every enemy within 3 squares is marked with my Divine Sanction.