PDA

View Full Version : Druids and their Companions

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-03, 12:30 PM
ive been thinking and i dunno if this is possable but could say if you had a small size druid, summon a companion that he could use a mount?

If you put a saddle on him and had to un-summon him would the saddle just fall to the ground?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-03, 12:35 PM
Druids do not normally have Familiars.

They have animal companions, which can be used as mounts given the right circumstances. (They are not summoned though)

Wizards or Sorcerers could use their familiar as a mount if they could find a feat there granted them one large enough and/or if they are small enough themselves.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-03, 12:52 PM
i cant beleive i made that mistake, how i could i think they have familiers argh!!!

Corolinth
2007-07-03, 12:56 PM
So your answer is yes.

A horse would be a perfectly acceptable animal companion for a level 1 druid. Furthermore, that would explain how the druid acquired the horse as an animal companion in the first place.

lukelightning
2007-07-03, 01:01 PM
As for literal summoning, I'd say yes, you can ride a creature you've summoned with summon nature's ally spells, but the duration of the spell is only 1 round/level. Still, it's good enough to get you across the burning magma river on the back of a hippogrif, or escape from a crazed barbarian horde on the back of a summoned dire wolf.

When the summoning spell ends, anything you put on the creature would fall to the ground. So make sure you're on the ground before your summoned dire bat vanishes.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-03, 01:11 PM
As for literal summoning, I'd say yes, you can ride a creature you've summoned with summon nature's ally spells, but the duration of the spell is only 1 round/level. Still, it's good enough to get you across the burning magma river on the back of a hippogrif, or escape from a crazed barbarian horde on the back of a summoned dire wolf.

When the summoning spell ends, anything you put on the creature would fall to the ground. So make sure you're on the ground before your summoned dire bat vanishes.

haha i can imagine a situation here

Player: i fly accross the 50ft cliff
DM: your mount un-summons half way accross
Player: nooooooooo!

haha that would be so funny :smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2007-07-03, 01:51 PM
Isn't that the point of having a triceratops as a companion?

F.H. Zebedee
2007-07-03, 02:23 PM
I believe the point of having a triceratops as a companion is to use all those dinosaur toys you have from you childhood. :smallwink:

Yeah, using a companion as a mount is fairly effective, if somewhat unexpected for some people. It tends to work rather well.

Leon
2007-07-04, 02:55 AM
Closest you get to a Familar for a Druid is if you are a Arcane Hierophant and have the Familar Companion (Best of Both worlds without the hassle)