PDA

View Full Version : needles

Alteisen Reise
2016-07-20, 03:11 PM
can someone tell me what book needles are in? i have been trying to find them all day and can't find them. they are for flavor reasons but i want to see what they have for them before i just make them up.

BowStreetRunner
2016-07-20, 03:22 PM
I suppose it depends on what you are using them for. A sewing needle is listed on the table in the Player's Handbook page 128. For combat purposes, darts are effectively needles with some sort of body behind them designed to allow them to fly true. PHB 116 has these, and mouth-darts can be found in Arms & Equipment Guide page 7.

Alteisen Reise
2016-07-20, 03:32 PM
i was talking more of the ammunition needles. not blowgun needles though. pcgen tells me they are in the quintessential rogue pg 54 but i have checked and they aren't there. darts are fairly large to be considered needles but i do see where your coming from with it. mouth darts are closer but not exactly what im looking for.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-20, 03:43 PM
Fukimi-Bari* ∆
(mouth darts)

Oriental adventures

Fukimi-Bari (mouth darts): These slim, almost needlelike metal darts are concealed in the mouth and then spit at the target. Their effective range is extremely short, and they do little damage, but they are highly useful when taking an opponent by surprise. You can fire up to three mouth darts per attack (all at the same target).
Do not apply your Strength modifier to damage with mouth darts. They are too small to carry the extra force that a strong character usually imparts to a thrown weapon. The cost and weight are for a single mouth dart.

p.71

Alteisen Reise
2016-07-20, 03:45 PM
ty but i am not talking about mouth darts

mabriss lethe
2016-07-20, 09:17 PM
If you don't have any luck finding them, I would simply refluff shuriken as being throwing needles.

edit to add: You could reverse engineer the needle from the poison needle trap listed in the DMG. In that case, it would only deal 1 damage. no idea what the price would be. nothing terribly expensive, I'm sure.

Necroticplague
2016-07-20, 09:49 PM
i was talking more of the ammunition needles. not blowgun needles though. pcgen tells me they are in the quintessential rogue pg 54 but i have checked and they aren't there. darts are fairly large to be considered needles but i do see where your coming from with it. mouth darts are closer but not exactly what im looking for.

Er, what? What, exactly, are you trying to get these needles as ammo for?

Anyway, BoVD has needles listed as a torture implement. They do one point of damage each.

BowStreetRunner
2016-07-21, 08:26 AM
So apparently PCGen 5.10.1 has these:

# CVS $Revision: 1.1 $ $Author: wireframe $ -- Sun Mar 19 07:31:26 2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 561)
SOURCELONG:Mongoose Publishing - Collector's Series - Quintessential Rogue SOURCESHORT:QuintRogue SOURCEWEB:http://mongoosepublishing.com

# Equipment Name Type Cost Weight Base Quantity Source Page
Needle TYPE:Ammunition.Needle COST:.1 WT:0 SOURCEPAGE:p.54
Needles (10) TYPE:Ammunition.Needle COST:1 WT:0 BASEQTY:10 SOURCEPAGE:p.54

Inevitability
2016-07-21, 11:23 AM
Fukimi-Bari* ∆
(mouth darts)

Oriental adventures

Fukimi-Bari (mouth darts): These slim, almost needlelike metal darts are concealed in the mouth and then spit at the target. Their effective range is extremely short, and they do little damage, but they are highly useful when taking an opponent by surprise. You can fire up to three mouth darts per attack (all at the same target).
Do not apply your Strength modifier to damage with mouth darts. They are too small to carry the extra force that a strong character usually imparts to a thrown weapon. The cost and weight are for a single mouth dart.

p.71

You can fire three at once and make separate attacks with them? Brb, building a SA-focused rogue.

I wonder if the number goes up when you have multiple heads?

Necroticplague
2016-07-21, 11:41 AM
You can fire three at once and make separate attacks with them? Brb, building a SA-focused rogue.

I wonder if the number goes up when you have multiple heads?

Probably not, though one could probably use TWF to get more attacks (each of which contains three darts).
Better question: is there a limit as to how many you can cram into your mouth at once? Presumably, it's 'at least three', but that leaves an awful lot of room to look like the spy on those 'gentlemen' image macros.

Alteisen Reise
2016-07-22, 06:29 PM
So apparently PCGen 5.10.1 has these:

# CVS $Revision: 1.1 $ $Author: wireframe $ -- Sun Mar 19 07:31:26 2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 561)
SOURCELONG:Mongoose Publishing - Collector's Series - Quintessential Rogue SOURCESHORT:QuintRogue

# Equipment Name Type Cost Weight Base Quantity Source Page
Needle TYPE:Ammunition.Needle COST:.1 WT:0 SOURCEPAGE:p.54
Needles (10) TYPE:Ammunition.Needle COST:1 WT:0 BASEQTY:10 SOURCEPAGE:p.54

these are why i was asking, i couldn't find them in the quintessential rogue book. it didn't list damage die or the weapon its ammunition for either in the description of pcgen so i was wondering if people knew where they came from.