PDA

View Full Version : Another monk question ...

orlondok
2016-07-20, 03:49 PM
Yes ... I am still working on my Rogue/Monk and TYVM for the Knowledgeable and Speedy replies from all, on my other monk thread ...

This one could be sort of an opinion thread (as I am not sure if there is any actual rule to cover this (or maybe there is and I am missing it...))

I was wondering if during a flurry of blows the character should not be allowed to use a certain weapon (such as the Scorpion Kama in his right hand, which has a cool weapon crystal) more than once in a row ...
ie. maybe an alternate form of attack should be required in between attacks with the nice weapon in the right hand?

ComaVision
2016-07-20, 03:54 PM
I would allow them to use the kama for all blows if the player wanted. I'm unaware of anything forbidding it.

Cerefel
2016-07-20, 03:55 PM
Monk is already pretty generally weak, so nerfing one of the 3-ish decent class features they have just seems unnecessarily cruel.

Troacctid
2016-07-20, 04:16 PM
You can use any combination of weapons in a flurry of blows, including the same weapon multiple times. If you wish to use only your kama, you may do so. The only restriction is that you must use only special monk weapons and/or unarmed strikes.

mabriss lethe
2016-07-20, 04:16 PM
You can flurry any mix of weapon/unarmed attacks in any order you choose. It really should be that way. It's the only real thing its got going for it. Forcing monks to vary an attack routine arbitrarily is just kicking a sick puppy.

Edit to add: I actually like playing a swiss-army-knife style monk, especially in core only games. (not really optimal, but fun.)

Here's the breakdown of which flurry weapons to use for what and why:

Quarterstaff: It's your best friend. You can enchant it for added abilities and can benefit from it being a two handed weapon in some situations. Due to its size it's also the best weapon in your arsenal for disarming, gaining a +4 bonus.

Kama: It allows you to overcome DR/Slashing and is a trip weapon. It's a versatile part of any load out.

Nunchaku: Don't even bother with this one. It's the only flurry weapon I never get. It gives a small bonus +2 to disarm, but it's not enough to overcome the -4 penalty that light weapons get when disarming, and is inferior to the sai and the quarterstaff in that regard. It also deals only bludgeoning damage, which you can easily surpass with your unarmed strike.

Sai: Another handy weapon to have, probably the most versatile of the lot: Sure it only does a 1d4 bludgeoning damage, but that's not terribly important. You can throw it for more base damage than a shuriken, and the +4 to disarm negates the usual -4 penalty light weapons have, allowing it to function on par with a one handed weapon (the quarterstaff is still better for this, though.) Its paltry melee damage is easily overlooked since you can simply use an unarmed strike instead if you need to bludgeon.

Siangham: It doesn't really have a whole lot going for it, but I tend to pack one or two anyway. It's the only melee flurry weapon that deals piercing damage, so it's good to have one handy just for those rare occasions. I usually wind up making these my silver and cold iron options.

Shuriken: they don't do much damage on their own, but they're a wonderful vector for other shenanigans. They're priced as ammo so stocking up on special materials and damage enhancements is dirt cheap. I keep a wide variety on hand for specific energy damage on demand and can easily outstrip the sai in potential and price once the game gets rolling.

Everything else: Meh. Take it, leave it, whatever.

Outside of core, a lot of it can be replaced with feats.